• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 public Beta is here for pre-purchases! [Stress Test June 27th]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright Jira, Retro, and anyone else, I need your help!

One of my closest friends lives across the globe and only uses a PC for gaming. GW is the only game I play on PC and I think GW2 would be a great way for us to 'hang out'. Problem is, he barely played the first game and didn't get into it. I tried to convey this game will play far differently but he requires links to convince him. I've barely watched any myself preferring a large blackout leading to beta so I was hoping you guys could provide me with the best video footage you've come across? Vids that really illustrate the game play. I'm hoping the turn of focus onto more action based combat will appeal to him far more than the last game.

Any help GW2GAF can provide is much appreciated!

So if I go buy this tonight at Gamestop, I'll be able to get in on the BETA? Or do I have to buy it from buyguildwars2.com to get in at this point?

Thanks man! You too Complistic! I will also send him your information load but I figure I'll have to sell him with visuals first. I loved the first game (and he didn't) so my praising and info isn't enough this time around haha

as long as you prepurchase from gamestop and they print the beta key on your receipt.

Nice, I'll call them after work and ask. Is there any benefit to buying it buygw2.com versus a local store? I want to say I read something on here a while back that made me think buying it at a local store made more sense but I don't remember what it was.

Helmholtz

For all those grinding out HoM in GW1:
Consumables (sweet, party, alcohol) are dropping like CRAZY right now. In one Vaettir run I got 15 cupcakes, 4 pumpkin pie slices, 5 honeycomb, 5 grog, 7 bottle rocket, 6 champagne, 7 hunter's ale, 4 hard apple cider. If you're looking to farm some points toward those titles, this is the best time. Not to mention Cupcakes are really useful for other purposes in the game too.
I've already maxed all those titles but I'm still going to farm some :p

Retro

Right, I understand and look forward to that. But isn't there anything to work for, at all, to make yourself different?

Dyes, special armor, titles (probably), and your reputation as a good player.
You don't need to work towards anything other than your own enjoyment.
There will be stuff to work towards, obviously, but these aren't things you must have to be enjoy the game. A good player is better than a bad one with better stats.

Damn, I guess I missed that, and I can't find it lol. Did you save the link, or Jira, you still have that?

http://www.arena.net/blog/live-and-let-dye-kristen-perry-on-the-gw2-dye-system

Ok, I just called gamestop and they said I'd still get the beta code and the in game item but he's not sure about the 3 day earlier access to the full game. Do the retailers provide this? Or is that exclusive to the buygw2online site?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Ok, I just called gamestop and they said I'd still get the beta code and the in game item but he's not sure about the 3 day earlier access to the full game. Do the retailers provide this? Or is that exclusive to the buygw2online site?
Nah, you'll get it. He just doesn't know what's up.

Retro

Should be printed at the bottom of your receipt, but make sure you pre-purchase in full. You'll get a long code to register at their site.

J-Rzez

Dyes, special armor, titles (probably), and your reputation as a good player.
You don't need to work towards anything other than your own enjoyment.
There will be stuff to work towards, obviously, but these aren't things you must have to be enjoy the game. A good player is better than a bad one with better stats.

http://www.arena.net/blog/live-and-let-dye-kristen-perry-on-the-gw2-dye-system

Thanks, yeah I get that. I just never saw the stuff to work for, so I couldn't really tell him what there was like that to look forward to. I assumed special armors, pets, etc. Didnt know dyes were a part of that.

Retro

Thanks, yeah I get that. I just never say the stuff to work for, so I couldn't really tell him what there was like that to look forward to.

Right, I'm just saying; you don't spend the game looking forward to something, you're actually doing stuff that's fun in the moment. You unlock skills in the order you want them, your weapon-based skills will remain the same from 0-80... you'll get more traits and access to armor runes, weapon sigils and accessory gems... But overall, it's all about getting better as a player, not as a character.

Xyber

For all those grinding out HoM in GW1:
Consumables (sweet, party, alcohol) are dropping like CRAZY right now. In one Vaettir run I got 15 cupcakes, 4 pumpkin pie slices, 5 honeycomb, 5 grog, 7 bottle rocket, 6 champagne, 7 hunter's ale, 4 hard apple cider. If you're looking to farm some points toward those titles, this is the best time. Not to mention Cupcakes are really useful for other purposes in the game too.
I've already maxed all those titles but I'm still going to farm some :p

What titles can you get by doing this and how many points is it worth? I could use some more points but I have no clue on what the consumables will count towards.

What titles can you get by doing this and how many points is it worth? I could use some more points but I have no clue on what the consumables will count towards.
Drunkard, Party and Sweet Tooth titles.

To be honest though, even if you farm vaettir/raptors during most of the celebration, you'd probably only get 1/5 of each title.

I'd recommend this only if you're close to maxing it, or if you can really go for 24/7 grind (you'll go insane).

You make your own set bonuses, the parrot would only be with you if you have 6 of that specific rune equipped. Read this:

http://www.arena.net/blog/a-rewarding-experience-john-hargrove-talks-about-loot

Number 5 specifically.

Thanks, yeah I get that. I just never saw the stuff to work for, so I couldn't really tell him what there was like that to look forward to. I assumed special armors, pets, etc. Didnt know dyes were a part of that.

This was the link I was talking about. It's not necessarily about what to work toward but it's some things thay will definitely eat up your time if you're interested in amy of them. Also crafting will be a lot to work toward as it takes resources to discover new recipes. Also pets to collect, dyes as mentioned, pvp, and titles.

It all really just depends on what you want to spend your time on. There will be plenty to do. As for me I think i will be spending a lot of time just exploring. They have talked alot about many places to discover and interesting dynamic events that will be easy to pass up if you don't pay close attention.

Helmholtz

There are titles for consuming different types of consumables. Tbh they're probably the last titles anyone would want to go for, and people usually get them for the God Walking Amongst Mere Mortals title. You need to consume an insane amount of sweets/alcohol/party points to get the max title for each respective category. But yeah, there's one for sweets, one for alcohol, and one for party points. To max them you need to get 10,000 points for each one, and most consumables only give you 1-4 pointsish each.

Xyber

Drunkard, Party and Sweet Tooth titles.

To be honest though, even if you farm vaettir/raptors during most of the celebration, you'd probably only get 1/5 of each title.

I'd recommend this only if you're close to maxing it, or if you can really go for 24/7 grind (you'll go insane).

Oh, I guess I won't be doing that then. :(

Yeah... that's still one of best CPUs out there. I'm guessing you will max easy.
Yes I just got this system. I am able to play witcher 2 on high specs with everything but über sampling on at 1080 at 25-45 fps constantly so I guess I should be ready for GW2.

Anyone in Canada got email yet?

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Party is the only title I'll ever max of the three. It's not only the farming that will take you ages. Actually using the damn things is so frustrating unless you use an auto-clicker. I remember clicking through 20 stacks of Frosty Tonics while zoning in between because you couldn't stack the effects. My advice: don't go for those three unless you REALLY absolutely need them to hit whatever milestone you're shooting for. Even then, it's probably easier to get just about any other HoM point that's not Honor.

Helmholtz

Party is the only title I'll ever max of the three. It's not only the farming that will take you ages. Actually using the damn things is so frustrating unless you use an auto-clicker. I remember clicking through 20 stacks of Frosty Tonics while zoning in between because you couldn't stack the effects. My advice: don't go for those three unless you REALLY absolutely need them to hit whatever milestone you're shooting for. Even then, it's probably easier to get just about any other HoM point that's not Honor.
Yeah, you have to make sure you get spammable ones. Frosty tonics are a bitch :p
I ended up buying a lot of my points. I also farmed a low of cupcakes and such back in the day though.
But to the previous poster - I wouldn't bother with these titles unless you're already on your way. You don't need them for 30/30, and probably don't even need them for 50/50 (I didn't). You will get sweets/alcohol/party consumables in drops even if you play the game casually during this anniversary event anyway. Some of them are very useful for everyday PVE play :)

Piecake

Well, Im now convinced that I must buy this game. I wont preorder it or anything like that, but will definitely get it in the first week if the impressions of it still remain overwhelmingly positive.

I think I'm going to rock a Mesmer. Their gameplay seems very interesting and I really havent played an MMO character like that.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Yeah, you have to make sure you get spammable ones. Frosty tonics are a bitch :p
Yeah, but I farmed them all during the last WW. Got like 800k in the bank and 40 stacks of unsellable Frosties, haha.

Well, Im now convinced that I must buy this game. I wont preorder it or anything like that, but will definitely get it in the first week if the impressions of it still remain overwhelmingly positive.

I think I'm going to rock a Mesmer. Their gameplay seems very interesting and I really havent played an MMO character like that.
Just curious, what convinced you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom