• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- |OT| - Cross Play on a Heavy Day

Yeah I-No seems pretty fun to use actually, only need a bit of practice for the basic stuff.

I imagine things like loops and command air throw resets are a bit harder.

Rhapsody

Banned
lol I lost to a D grade ino. I was so mad after

:( I lost to Honnou, so I pretty much expected to lose with the little exp I had lol. Unfortunately Honnou lost to a Faust by messing up which got him sent to losers bracket. Even if Faust is an awful matchup for Ky, I still think I could've gone farther due to knowing the MU better.

Also, I had to fight a Potemkin and a Zato in my pool. Basically played against them like how you did against my Potemkin and Zato lol. So you basically helped me out there. Got wrecked against Zato first round but downloaded him after. Pretty easy when you're able to figure out where they're bad at protecting/summoning Eddie.

All in all, I had to fight a Millia (lost), Potemkin, Axl, Zato, I-No, Sol, and then I-No again (lost). 50/50 high low characters are wrecking me :(

Rhapsody

Banned
Bleh, sucks trying to punish techs online and get j.H into a third of my life lol.

GGs

Edit: As Millia, I have no idea why I'm not confident once I'm in against Sin. I need to work on that a lot more since that's killing me most.

Edit2: I should probably use jP more along with j.D in neutral. I keep forgetting about these buttons.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
VwtDX6G.jpg

あ

Rhapsody

Banned
GGs, Ocean. Your Sol confirms got way better. And with my Millia, I still need to work on proper pressure and neutral.

Going to watch more vids later tonight to help with that.

OceanBlue

ggs Rhapsody. Sorry I was just really mashy at the end. I think I just couldn't think straight any more. :(

GGs, Ocean. Your Sol confirms got way better. And with my Millia, I still need to work on proper pressure and neutral.

Going to watch more vids later tonight to help with that.

Lol I actually was really scared of your Millia neutral. I got away with a lot of sweeps, but it really felt like all I could do was to try and make a read on when you were going to backdash in neutral. I'm so bad at dealing with pin that I was surprised you didn't use it more, but then again once you used it I just tried really hard to make sure you didn't get it back lol.

Rhapsody

Banned
ggs Rhapsody. Sorry I was just really mashy at the end. I think I just couldn't think straight any more. :(

Lol I actually was really scared of your Millia neutral. I got away with a lot of sweeps, but it really felt like all I could do was to try and make a read on when you were going to backdash in neutral. I'm so bad at dealing with pin that I was surprised you didn't use it more, but then again once you used it I just tried really hard to make sure you didn't get it back lol.

Yeah, I think I get clipped a lot at ranges I don't expect (like sweep). Against any character like Sin or Ky that have pretty good range, I could work on weaving in and out a bit better than I currently do. Trying to work on whiff punishing better with her. As for pin, still working on it. I wanted to do some pin combos instead of just working on pin pressure, and ended up using either or less than I intentionally wanted lol

Still looking up and practicing pretty maze oki for Millia. I like Karinchu's heavy use of it.

OceanBlue

Yeah, I think I get clipped a lot at ranges I don't expect (like sweep). Against any character like Sin or Ky that have pretty good range, I could work on weaving in and out a bit better than I currently do. Trying to work on whiff punishing better with her. As for pin, still working on it. I wanted to do some pin combos instead of just working on pin pressure, and ended up using either or less than I intentionally wanted lol

Still looking up and practicing pretty maze oki for Millia. I like Karinchu's heavy use of it.

Just out of curiosity, is there any reason why you don't really use Millia's sweep in neutral? If anything will whiff punish Sol's sweep, I feel like it's that move lol.

I really need to learn how to deal with Digitalis. Maybe I can just fuzzy guard (or attempt to anyway lol) after Millia's 5H to deal with 5H sweep, 5H Digitalis, and 5H roll dust...

Rhapsody

Banned
Just out of curiosity, is there any reason why you don't really use Millia's sweep in neutral? If anything will whiff punish Sol's sweep, I feel like it's that move lol.

I really need to learn how to deal with Digitalis. Maybe I can just fuzzy guard (or attempt to anyway lol) after Millia's 5H to deal with 5H sweep, 5H Digitalis, and 5H roll dust...

It's one of her slower ground normals (slower than 2H). She can still whiff punish with it, but she can get a better punish by dashing in with 2K and getting cS 2H etc. I just got to practice doing stuff like that more since that's what makes her deadly in neutral lol

OceanBlue

It's one of her slower ground normals (slower than 2H). She can still whiff punish with it, but she can get a better punish by dashing in with 2K and getting cS 2H etc. I just got to practice doing stuff like that more since that's what makes her deadly in neutral lol
I've never thought about it that way, but that makes a lot of sense.

Mupod

Super late to the party, didn't want to pick the game up before I got a stick and I finally caved last week + they had the Xrd LE on sale (dat keychain). Right now just starting with the simpler characters as I re-adjust to guilty gear - it's been a long time and I was never super good at it. Right now the thing driving me nuts is I can't figure out how to reliably activate Potemkin's Gigantic Bullet Kai (the followup move to his energy shield overdrive). I was able to do it at first and now suddenly can't. I've watched the in-game demo and looked it up at the usual places but can't get it down.

I did mission mode up to 24 before giving up for now, the one that gave me the most trouble was oddly enough the wakeup volcanic viper one. The window for that was much tighter than I expected.

Not even considering online yet but I figure if I keep plugging away at training mode I'll slowly start to get a grasp on things. Was surprised to see story mode is apparently non-interactive.

Essay

Right now just starting with the simpler characters as I re-adjust to guilty gear
[...]
Right now the thing driving me nuts is I can't figure out how to reliably activate Potemkin's Gigantic Bullet Kai (the followup move to his energy shield overdrive).

Bold does not compute. Have a look at JustKensou's recent blog about about Xrd character difficulty to get a general sense of how simple/complex/difficult each member of the cast is. I wouldn't say it's spot on for every-character, but it's a good starting point.

For for that follow up to the Giganter super, you want to input it right before it would first connect at point-blank. You can enter it later, but then the opponent could mash-out of stagger. Honestly, if you just mash counter-clockwise 360's and P fast enough, you'll get it 100% of the time.

It's really not a very important move though. I only see it in a few situational combos and for easy added damage to reversal Giganters that land.

That feeling when you lost to someone who's just mashing their face across the controller...

Managed to get a perfect tonight at least. It was a major stroke of luck that everything worked out the way it did.

Rhapsody

Banned
GGs, Ocean. I had issues adapting after you started adapting more and more in the fight.
Too many close matches and close to time outs lol

OceanBlue

GGs, Ocean. I had issues adapting after you started adapting more and more in the fight.
Too many close matches and close to time outs lol

Lol I was like, "I see a glimmer of hope!" at some point, and then you adapted the next game and I couldn't figure out any more :(.

Any advice? I feel like, aside from my still awful habit of holding forward, I'm out of ideas for the neutral game. As far as pressure, setups, and combos go, I practice them a lot in training mode but I guess that isn't enough lol.

Rhapsody

Banned
Lol I was like, "I see a glimmer of hope!" at some point, and then you adapted the next game and I couldn't figure out any more :(.

Any advice? I feel like, aside from my still awful habit of holding forward, I'm out of ideas for the neutral game. As far as pressure, setups, and combos go, I practice them a lot in training mode but I guess that isn't enough lol.

I'd say try to go for more mixups on knockdown, or at least work more on them. Watch someone like Machaboo or Karinchu on how they deal with enders like 2D and such. You got most of the damage on me through RC confirms among other things which is actually pretty good. Just need to capitalize more on the knockdown. I like the use of 6P since it got me a lot, but most of the time I found a way out if I was patient enough.

Also don't be afraid to use YRC more for different tools. If you do gunflame and then I backdash to avoid blocking the fafnir, YRC fafnir and chase me down. I see some good use of 2S whiff pressure. Maybe try looking for ways to condition me to turtle. Then something like 2S whiff dash wild throw could work.

OceanBlue

I'd say try to go for more mixups on knockdown, or at least work more on them. Watch someone like Machaboo or Karinchu on how they deal with enders like 2D and such. You got most of the damage on me through RC confirms among other things which is actually pretty good. Just need to capitalize more on the knockdown. I like the use of 6P since it got me a lot, but most of the time I found a way out if I was patient enough.

Also don't be afraid to use YRC more for different tools. If you do gunflame and then I backdash to avoid blocking the fafnir, YRC fafnir and chase me down. I see some good use of 2S whiff pressure. Maybe try looking for ways to condition me to turtle. Then something like 2S whiff dash wild throw could work.

I guess I need to be scarier when I actually get the opportunity to pressure. Thanks! I would have never thought of YRC'ing the fafnir lol.

Rhapsody

Banned
ggs, rookiejet! My friend wanted to get some games it so I had to go. Slightly feeling a little more comfortable against Sin range with Millia. Just going to need more time lol

rookiejet

ggs, rookiejet! My friend wanted to get some games it so I had to go. Slightly feeling a little more comfortable against Sin range with Millia. Just going to need more time lol

Yep, I could tell already my days are numbered lol. Thanks for the games, man! Hope to play your Faust too this weekend, I desperately need practice against that character.

OceanBlue

ggs Rhapsody! I can't believe you can play so many characters lol. I feel bad about mashing with Chipp yesterday. :V

Also I'm going to miss moelphelt. :(

Rhapsody

Banned
GGs. Past GG games make it easier on me. I'm still fairly bad with any of the new characters lol. I want to work on figuring out Ramlethal and Bedman. They're so weird though so I keep putting it off. I keep wanting to level up my Millia, but looking at my Ky, it's going to take awhile.

Also you did way better against me today. Applying some more mixups on knockdown really got me nervous and hate a lot of damage. You also conditioned me pretty well to get command grabbed a lot too. Way too many close calls.

OceanBlue

GGs. Past GG games make it easier on me. I'm still fairly bad with any of the new characters lol. I want to work on figuring out Ramlethal and Bedman. They're so weird though so I keep putting it off. I keep wanting to level up my Millia, but looking at my Ky, it's going to take awhile.

Also you did way better against me today. Applying some more mixups on knockdown really got me nervous and hate a lot of damage. You also conditioned me pretty well to get command grabbed a lot too. Way too many close calls.

What are you thinking about your Ky? I felt like I was completely shut out when we played lol. I would get lucky in scrambles, but I don't think I can think of anything I did that I could depend on to win games.

Lol thanks. Actually I hate to say it, but I practiced my dustloop with different delays in training mode since I realized I depend on visual cues to do it. :V

Rhapsody

Banned
What are you thinking about your Ky? I felt like I was completely shut out when we played lol. I would get lucky in scrambles, but I don't think I can think of anything I did that I could depend on to win games.

Lol thanks. Actually I hate to say it, but I practiced my dustloop with different delays in training mode since I realized I depend on visual cues to do it. :V

Oh, I mean that Ky is my best since I used him and Dizzy most in AC. I just think that getting my Millia tourney ready to where it's good as Ky is going to take awhile lol

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Oh, I mean that Ky is my best since I used him and Dizzy most in AC. I just think that getting my Millia tourney ready to where it's good as Ky is going to take awhile lol

Ky requires you to know what ever single character can do at any given time to stuff or react and bait as well as character specific set ups and combos.

Millia is pretty much just know your set ups and combos and a lot are similar LOL

And people recommend Ky for beginners lol

Rhapsody

Banned
Ky requires you to know what ever single character can do at any given time to stuff or react and bait as well as character specific set ups and combos.

Millia is pretty much just know your set ups and combos and a lot are similar LOL

And people recommend Ky for beginners lol

Pretty much lol. I'm a lot more confident at playing the player with Ky. Just feels comfortable for tourneys because of it.
Millia setplay's obviously easy for me. I just need to get better at long midscreen pressure with her buttons and just spacing better.

With that said, I just want to change it up a bit since Ky has to play so honest a lot. I need a change of pace right now lol

Also, I have no idea how the Ky vs I-No matchup should go. Help me, Q.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Pretty much lol. I'm a lot more confident at playing the player with Ky. Just feels comfortable for tourneys because of it.
Millia setplay's obviously easy for me. I just need to get better at long midscreen pressure with her buttons and just spacing better.

With that said, I just want to change it up a bit since Ky has to play so honest a lot. I need a change of pace right now lol

Also, I have no idea how the Ky vs I-No matchup should go. Help me, Q.
5p, 6p, 2hs, VT are your friends. No matter what do everything in your power to keep her knocked down even if it leads to less overall damage and "wasted" meter.

Play patiently until something of yours connects with her then go ham with frame traps throw set ups ect. A single good 6k yrc throw can win the match

Rhapsody

Banned
5p, 6p, 2hs, VT are your friends. No matter what do everything in your power to keep her knocked down even if it leads to less overall damage and "wasted" meter.

Play patiently until something of yours connects with her then go ham with frame traps throw set ups ect. A single good 6k yrc throw can win the match

In the neutral game, if I-No gets out a note, how do you usually deal with them as Ky?

Rhapsody

Banned
I miss cross up j.S so much lol. And thanks for the tips. I think I'll have to also rework my pressure a bit with Ky. With his range, I usually think I'm safe with my current pokes and fireball game against most of the cast. YRC HCL blows me up when I think I can get away with some stuff. And with notes making it hard for me to keep moving forward at time, I'm getting less tension than I'd like.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I miss cross up j.S so much lol. And thanks for the tips. I think I'll have to also rework my pressure a bit with Ky. With his range, I usually think I'm safe with my current pokes and fireball game against most of the cast. YRC HCL blows me up when I think I can get away with some stuff. And with notes making it hard for me to keep moving forward at time, I'm getting less tension than I'd like.

Start abusing j.D yrc on sealless kockdows if you havent been also

Top Bottom