• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guilty Pleasures -

Let’s be honest, we aren’t all as cool as our anime avatars have us believe. What makes you happy, just as long as no one else witnessess your joy. 😉

Last edited:
Armageddon (the movie). Rumble Roses. Tickling my own feet. Playing infinite combos in Magic: the Gathering...actually, wait, scratch that last one. I don't give a damn who sees me doing that.

Last edited:
Armageddon (the movie). Rumble Roses. Tickling my own feet. Playing infinite combos in Magic: the Gathering...actually, wait, scratch that last one. I don't give a damn who sees me doing that.

Someone else tickling my feet, back, head, asshole...

eyaculacion.jpg

Nu metal, it just takes me back to the early 00s and well, I like just how male centric music it is, so the opposite what modern culture is all about.

Same with emo, although I'd say emo is just legit good music, even if the culture surrounding it could be a little embarrassing at times.

In fact I just have a general appreciation for the tackier sides of 2000s and late 90s culture, it all just seems like harmless fun now compared to what's going on today.

And for all it's faults in the 2000s things often worked the literal polar opposite of how they work today, it's refreshing to look back on.

Dunki

Hmm my last Guilty pleasure was probably all seasons of Teenwolf. This show was stupid but also very entertaining. And I guess for women and gay people it was also a joy to watch.

Hmm my last Guilty pleasure was probably all seasons of Teenwolf. This show was stupid but also very entertaining. And I guess for women and gay people it was also a joy to watch.

Reminds me of my gf trying to get me watching rupauls drag race with her. That shit is fun as all hell

Dunki

Romcoms are also great especially british and Japanese ones for me. The old Japanese 2000er ones were so outstanding....

sooo good... Sadly I fell of with the current ones since they seem more focused on teens or they are some mystery/suspense dramas...

Ps: I watch love actually every year XD

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Teen movies. 10 Things, Clueless, Mean Girls, American Pie, yadda yadda.

Oh, the Mighty Ducks series. I don't give a damn how they hold up, if you've watched that movie and never tried to actually pull off a knucklepuck, you're lying.

Halo0629

Mostly watching 90's movies/cartoons and listening to 90's music. Just takes me back to the simplier, carefree, and more innocent times.

DS_Joost

The soundtrack to the first Bayformers movie will never leave my top ten soundtracks of all time. That top ten also contains The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, Hook and Cutthroat Island among others...

People say Hans Zimmer defined the movie sound of the 2000's onwards but I would argue it was this one that was more influential than anything. Steve Jablonsky did a hell of a job, and even though it technically isn't a masterpiece, I can not get over how got Arrival To Earth sounds:

Make no mistake about this being a guilty pleasure though. I will blast this shit at full volume so the whole street can feel the hype!

DS_Joost

Now that's an underrated score, the movie sucks but the main theme is fucking AMAZING, it's perfect "pirate" music.

Well, it's underrated by the general public. In the film music community, it is held in extremely high regard and seen as one of those scores that you have to experience at least once, so truly not underrated there.

But I agree it is fantastic and beats the Pirates scores by a country mile (even though I love those as well, at least the third one).

Last edited:
Mostly watching 90's movies/cartoons and listening to 90's music. Just takes me back to the simplier, carefree, and more innocent times.

I’m a fiend for the warm embrace of childhood nostalgia. I don’t understand why all people aren’t like this (obviously excluding those who had a terrible childhood).

Nymphae

Banned
I still enjoy kids shows from when I was younger, the other day I was watching Wishbone on youtube lol. Shit like Ghostwriter, Animaniacs, Goosebumps, AYAOTD, etc. I enjoy 90's nostalgia.

lol at the anime avatar comment. I don't believe in the guilty pleasures term because like Rae Sremmurd said: "I like what I like."
For me, it's b-movies/cult/exploitation/horror/trash movies. There's a charm and craziness you don't find in other movies nowadays.

I still enjoy kids shows from when I was younger, the other day I was watching Wishbone on youtube lol. Shit like Ghostwriter, Animaniacs, Goosebumps, AYAOTD, etc. I enjoy 90's nostalgia.

Are You Afraid of the Dark was brilliant. Such a good show.

lock2k

Banned
The Street Fighter Movie.

It gets everything wrong, and it's awesome because of that. I'm a huge fan of the Street Fighter franchise and I remember despising it back in the day. Nowadays I have to watch it least one time per year. lol

It's such a ridiculous G.I. Joe movie with a Street Fighter dressing and a coked-up Belgian star with a heavy accent playing the American hero. Since I didn't speak English at the time I couldn't really enjoy it the way I do now. It's so funny when you think about it.

Gabrius

Buying games and never opening them

Eating an entire package of Fruit Stripe gum in one sitting

Rewatching sad stuff that made me cry.... to intentionally make myself cry

Gabrius

15's savoring speeds when you're talking about this stuff..... the flavor fades the moment you think about eating a piece of it :p

Sometimes I sneak out for a fourth meal without my lady knowing cause I love eating fast food sometimes but don’t want her to know.

Well, it's underrated by the general public. In the film music community, it is held in extremely high regard and seen as one of those scores that you have to experience at least once, so truly not underrated there.

But I agree it is fantastic and beats the Pirates scores by a country mile (even though I love those as well, at least the third one).

It's just a shame it's wasted on such a bad movie, in fact is there any other movie ever where there's such a disconnect with how beautiful the score is versus how bad the movie is?

Somebody really needs to borrow the theme for a better pirate movie or I got an idea, Ubisoft should license it and retool as the main theme for the upcoming Skull & Bones, much like how they turned Seal's Crazy into a sea shanty sounding song.

Also, if you want an intense pirate experience that will make you instinctively yell "ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!" listen to the main theme while looking at this artwork.

pic1021646.jpg

Last edited:

DS_Joost

It's just a shame it's wasted on such a bad movie, in fact is there any other movie ever where there's such a disconnect with how beautiful the score is versus how bad the movie is?

Somebody really needs to borrow the theme for a better pirate movie or I got an idea, Ubisoft should license it and retool as the main theme for the upcoming Skull & Bones, much like how they turned Seal's Crazy into a sea shanty sounding song.

Also, if you want an intense pirate experience that will make you instinctively yell "ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!" listen to the main theme while looking at this artwork.

pic1021646.jpg

Two scores immediately come to mind: The Last Airbender by James Newton Howard, and Lair, ironically by John Debney again. Well, Lair was a videogame, and technically not a bad one at all after a year when they patched it. Screw that, Lair was awful before the control patch, and awesome after that. It was ruined by stupendous control decisions. It flopped though. And with it another fantastic score went to waste.

Gabriel Yared's removed Troy score is the greatest tragedy though, but maybe for the better. I love Troy as a movie, but I have to admit Yared wrote music that was far above what that movie actually was. He wrote an opera while the movie is just historical action. I love it but there was a huge disconnect there if I ever heard one. It's the greatest score never released. Luckily, it's easy to find on the interwebs. (Yours truly even created a 'Preservation Project' for it :messenger_winking:)

Also, can you remember one scene from 1492 Conquest of Paradise? Bet you can hum the theme right now though...

Also, retooling and reusing the theme for another film or game wouldn't work out. It's far too '1940s Korngold' for that. It wouldn't fly, no matter how much I hate to say that.

Last edited:
Two scores immediately come to mind: The Last Airbender by James Newton Howard, and Lair, ironically by John Debney again. Well, Lair was a videogame, and technically not a bad one at all after a year when they patched it. Screw that, Lair was awful before the control patch, and awesome after that. It was ruined by stupendous control decisions. It flopped though. And with it another fantastic score went to waste.

Gabriel Yared's removed Troy score is the greatest tragedy though, but maybe for the better. I love Troy as a movie, but I have to admit Yared wrote music that was far above what that movie actually was. He wrote an opera while the movie is just historical action. I love it but there was a huge disconnect there if I ever heard one. It's the greatest score never released. Luckily, it's easy to find on the interwebs. (Yours truly even created a 'Preservation Project' for it :messenger_winking:)

Also, can you remember one scene from 1492 Conquest of Paradise? Bet you can hum the theme right now though...

Also, retooling and reusing the theme for another film or game wouldn't work out. It's far too '1940s Korngold' for that. It wouldn't fly, no matter how much I hate to say that.

Yes, someone mentioned the Lair score on here (might have even been you) and having never played the game, it was cool to discover some all purpose high fantasy music.

In fact it's much like Cutthroat Island is great all purpose pirate music and both are by John Debney and both for things not as good as the music, weird.

Top Bottom