• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guitar Gaf |OT| Fingerpickin’ good

NEO0MJ

Spent all night last night checking out BC Rich guitars. A lot of them look a little too "edgy" for me. I can't really find a model like that one.

I think one of the few "normal" looking ones are the Mockingbird line.
Overall they're one of the most looked down upon guitar brands, considered by many to be edgy teenager bait.

I think one of the few "normal" looking ones are the Mockingbird line.
Overall they're one of the most looked down upon guitar brands, considered by many to be edgy teenager bait.

Yeah, not feeling them really. Been eyeing an SG for a while, maybe I'll just keep saving and keep my eye on the prize.

Can we do a poll or thread about best guitar albums of 2016?

My fav was probably Jeff Becks new album, besides that though i mostly listened to 1960s-70s jazz and 80s heavy metal

What albums did you guys like best?
Yes. Loud Hailer was something I got on release but didn't get to listen to until recently. Reminiscent of his albums Who Else and Jeff but significantly dirtier at times. Beck is still a fucking amazing guitarist. When you see him play live it all seems so effortless.
Now if I bought his signature Strat would I sound as good?! lol

Wag

Guys. How do you pick each string alternate direction with a pick? HOW DO YOU DO IT?!!?!?!?! (and don't tell me to practice because I know)

I can do it fine with my fingers but up picking is killing me.

Why didn't someone tell me 30yrs ago to start with a pick?!!?!

This is going to take a while...

Maybe not the best guitar album, but Dean Ween put out his first solo album in 2016 that starts with a blistering tribute to Dickie Betts. Might be my favourite guitar song of the year, but I'm a big Allman Brothers guy.
I can't find the individual track on Youtube, but it's the first song if you just hit play here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxAsW62BEG8

I'd give a shout out to Tedeschi Trucks Band "Let Me Get By" album too. Derek is still just growing and expanding as a musician. Got to see him for the third time, and TTB for the first time, this summer. Really incredible experience. His fucking slide rendition of Harrison's Within You Without You was just a spiritual happening.

Here's a little taste of that though....pro-shot.

https://youtu.be/2P12lAmnCVE?t=16m50s

Guys. How do you pick each string alternate direction with a pick? HOW DO YOU DO IT?!!?!?!?! (and don't tell me to practice because I know)

If you're good at finger picking don't get so bogged down by the pick. Some of the best players in the world freely switch between picking and finger-picking like Jeff Beck and George Lynch. They don't even think about it, they just go with what feels natural at the moment.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Spent all night last night checking out BC Rich guitars. A lot of them look a little too "edgy" for me. I can't really find a model like that one.

I'm looking at this one here, but again I don't love the body style or pick ups...

http://www.guitarcenter.com/BC-Rich/Mockingbird-Set-Neck-Electric-Guitar.gc

Wish I could fine that Eagle model, but it doesn't look very readily available in Canada. I love the look of that Becker guitar too, but I have a feeling that's gonna be way out of my price range.

The Eagle and the Mockingbird are the only BC Rich'es that don't look 100% like Edgemetal guitars and they're still pretty close. They rarely make them in anything but crummy import versions.

Just pick the open strings one at a time starting from low e alternating between down and up until you reach the high e and work your way back up. Alternatley, you can pick down-up-down-up before switching to the next string. I probably wouldn't do that for more than 5 minutes at a time unless you want to go insane. Using a metronome helps too.

I was thinking about picking up a bass. As someone who's been playing guitar for about five years, what do I need to know to get started? Any links to some learning resources would be cool.

Wag

Just pick the open strings one at a time starting from low e alternating between down and up until you reach the high e and work your way back up. Alternatley, you can pick down-up-down-up before switching to the next string. I probably wouldn't do that for more than 5 minutes at a time unless you want to go insane. Using a metronome helps too.

No kidding. I'm now doing this starting on the low-E:

1-2-3-4-3-2-1-4-2-4-3-4-2

Next fret- all the way to the 12th fret. Then changing strings. Using a metronome- alternate direction picking. I have to say my dexterity has improved immensely in the past 2weeks or so I've been doing it. Will drive you nuts tho (probably my neighbors too).

No kidding. I'm now doing this starting on the low-E:

1-2-3-4-3-2-1-4-2-4-3-4-2

Next fret- all the way to the 12th fret. Then changing strings. Using a metronome- alternate direction picking. I have to say my dexterity has improved immensely in the past 2weeks or so I've been doing it. Will drive you nuts tho (probably my neighbors too).

Alternate picking is super hard, even for seasoned players. It's something you just have to keep practicing even as a pro.

Wag

Alternate picking is super hard, even for seasoned players. It's something you just have to keep practicing even as a pro.

As I previously mentioned, there's a guitarcade mini-game in Rocksmith called String Skip Saloon. Just play that for a while using alternate picking. Kicks my ass.

I'd give a shout out to Tedeschi Trucks Band "Let Me Get By" album too. Derek is still just growing and expanding as a musician. Got to see him for the third time, and TTB for the first time, this summer. Really incredible experience. His fucking slide rendition of Harrison's Within You Without You was just a spiritual happening.

Here's a little taste of that though....pro-shot.

https://youtu.be/2P12lAmnCVE?t=16m50s

FYI there's a bunch of great concert recordings of TTB on archive.org. I hope another tour brings them my way some day, just loved them.

Flying V DIY kit progress. Finally got some 50+ degree weather over the past few days to complete painting. Spraypaint can says 50-90 degrees so I quickly painted outside and brought them in to hang dry.
Primed with 1 can. Yellow color - 2 cans. stenciled a hammerhead wth black spray.
Clear-coat - 7cans! Yeah had some drips and uneven surfaces so I put the clear on thick, that way I can wetsand down the imperfections later without fear of breaking through to the yellow paint.
Now to let it hang for a month to completely cure the clear coat before I can we stand and buff - the hardest part!
ppayImr.jpg

TTL3gIc.jpg
Fortunately at the last second before I clear-coated I realized I had to retape the fretboard to expose the side of the rosewood. That way the clear coat will smooth over the paint line and the rosewood section. It'll make the neck feel much nicer.
I found a Gibson Flying V style truss rod cover on eBay and I put another hammerhead on it. Still need to touch it up. I'm hoping this'll work!
I have all the hardware waiting. It's gonna be a long wait.

blinkz

Wish I had the balls to repaint one of my strats.

Picked up some fender locking tuners and thinking of putting some new pickups in my main strat.

Swapped a SD Nazgûl & Sentient pickup combo on my PRS Tremonti SE a bit over a month ago and it's been magical playing it. Going to upgrade the stop tail and tuners sometime soon.

Very cool PRS! What are you going to do with the stop tail, upgrade to a Tune-o-matic? Go tremolo?

NEO0MJ

Locking Tuners/Machine Heads are probably one of the best upgrades one can do.

I was wondering, just how difficult is it to play a V? Should you really keep away from it until you really mastered the guitar?

Torraz

Guitar Type: Electric
Skill level: Ultra-beginner
Preferred sound: None
Planned use: Practice
Budget:
Country of residence: Japan
Misc: None

Hello,
I am a complete beginner, but always wanted to try my hand at a guitar. This is probably way too cheap, right - in a you get what you pay for sense?

The reviews seem quite good.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B00842U9Y8/

Thanks!

Budget:

Hello,
I am a complete beginner, but always wanted to try my hand at a guitar. This is probably way too cheap, right - in a you get what you pay for sense?

Thanks!

Hi

I don't know about that guitar but I would look into the new squier mustang , decent reviews and dirty cheap.

EVOL 100%

Budget:

Hello,

Thanks!

Dunno about that guitar in particular, but I'll echo the Squier recommendation. I highly recommend them. They might be a bit above your budget, but they don't need any upgrades and even some pros have been playing them these days.

Torraz

Hi

I don't know about that guitar but I would look into the new squier mustang , decent reviews and dirty cheap.

Dunno about that guitar in particular, but I'll echo the Squier recommendation. I highly recommend them. They might be a bit above your budget, but they don't need any upgrades and even some pros have been playing them these days.

Thanks!
This one?
https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B01N6UHKVJ/
https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B01N5RAJJI/

Any input on what kind of accesories I should buy with the first order (= the guitar)? And how much to calculate for those? Things like extra guitar strings, (a) pick(s), maybe a tuner or something like that?

Do you immediately need an amp?

I was thinking of using youtube / a book a bit and then maybe trying that guitar game.

You guys have those crazy second-hand used guitar shops in Japan. I would check those out before you order anything off amazon. Japan has an incredible used market. And it's not like the US where guitars have beer stains and cigarette burns! lol!

Hmm, that might be a good idea for next time I am in a more populated part of the country. Currently ALT-ing in inaka-ville.

Budget:

Hello,

Thanks!

You guys have those crazy second-hand used guitar shops in Japan. I would check those out before you order anything off amazon. Japan has an incredible used market. And it's not like the US where guitars have beer stains and cigarette burns! lol!

I would love to go guitar shopping in Japan-- the domestic market is amazing. I don't know if the value-for-money extends down to the beginner end, but in the middle there is a ton of great stuff available.

Things like extra guitar strings, (a) pick(s), maybe a tuner or something like that?

You can use a tuner app on your phone or tablet ($0-1); or a good cheap clip-on model like the Snark ($15-20).

Spare strings aren't a bad idea.

You should get an assortment of picks to see how you get on with them.

You should use something-- an amp simulator on phone/tablet/computer or an amp.

my fav thing about guitar shopping in japan is how clerks would tune the guitar for you if you wanted to try something

that and how big the selection of fender offsets is

Any input on what kind of accesories I should buy with the first order (= the guitar)? And how much to calculate for those? Things like extra guitar strings, (a) pick(s), maybe a tuner or something like that?

I was thinking of using youtube / a book a bit and then maybe trying that guitar game.

Hmm, that might be a good idea for next time I am in a more populated part of the country. Currently ALT-ing in inaka-ville.

I agree about checking out second hand shops. I bought my first guitar second hand and saved a lot of money.

Also kinda depends on how much you want to spend.

Whelp... just turned 40 last month. It's time for that mid-life crisis purchase!

osINm6C.jpg

This guitar is on it's way to me. It's the Ernie Ball Music Man Majesty in Copper Fire. Damned 36 months no interest promotion! Oh well... I've been playing for 25 years and I've never owned a guitar that cost more than $700. It's time. This should pair nicely with the Kemper Profiling Amp. It's got a Piezo pickup and a built in gain boost for solos. I don't play metal, but it will be nice to have the option if I so desire.

IC5

After 2.5 years of loving the crap out of my Kiesel/Carvin Icon 5 string bass: I ordered a 4 string Vader headless bass, last week. The build should be done early/mid May.

I was thinking about picking up a bass. As someone who's been playing guitar for about five years, what do I need to know to get started? Any links to some learning resources would be cool.
I can't remember his name. But check the guy on YouTube who wears a glove on his fretting hand.

Whelp... just turned 40 last month. It's time for that mid-life crisis purchase!

osINm6C.jpg

This guitar is on it's way to me. It's the Ernie Ball Music Man Majesty in Copper Fire. Damned 36 months no interest promotion! Oh well... I've been playing for 25 years and I've never owned a guitar that cost more than $700. It's time. This should pair nicely with the Kemper Profiling Amp. It's got a Piezo pickup and a built in gain boost for solos. I don't play metal, but it will be nice to have the option if I so desire.
Wow, that thing is cool. Ernie Ball has been doing some cool stuff with their newer guitar designs. I wish they'd take some risks on the bass side...

Very cool PRS! What are you going to do with the stop tail, upgrade to a Tune-o-matic? Go tremolo?

Thanks! I'm just going to get a new wrap around bridge that has fully adjustable intonation for each string saddle - any recommendations? Locking tuners is something I'm going to get as well.

haveheart

Banned
I'm looking for a smaller sized acoustic guitar atm.

I'd really like a GS Mini but the price tag is a tad high though I might change my mind about that.

So I was looking for "alternative" - I've heard that there's really no competition regarding quality/tone in this segment and category.

Ibanez AC240
Epiphone EL-00
Alvarez AP66/AP70
The Loar 204 Mahagony
Gretsch Dandy

I've been looking at these but - correct me if I'm wrong - I read that these parlor guitars are mostly blues guitars best suited for finger picking. I'm definitely more strumming or flatpicking, so I'm unsure if these guitars will be right for me.

Anyone of you played some of these and can even compare them to the mini?

Basically I'm looking for a neat couch guitar with good playability. I know that I have to make compormises regarding bass levels and loudness compared to a full sized guitar.

Thanks! I'm just going to get a new wrap around bridge that has fully adjustable intonation for each string saddle - any recommendations? Locking tuners is something I'm going to get as well.

Yeah must be a new thing cuz I've never seen a wraparound with individual intonation for each string! That's wild!

Maybe it was buried, so I'll ask again 🤔

Most people play with it between their legs when they are sitting - Michael Schenker style. Some Vs have a rubber grip-like thing on side of the V to put on your lap, like the Gibson/Epiphone Korina V series, but most people don't use it. It's mostly a stand up and play guitar, but it also has neck-dive issues so some people put weights (like fishing lure weights) in the body to balance it out.

I'm looking for a smaller sized acoustic guitar atm.

I'd really like a GS Mini but the price tag is a tad high though I might change my mind about that.

So I was looking for "alternative" - I've heard that there's really no competition regarding quality/tone in this segment and category.

Ibanez AC240
Epiphone EL-00
Alvarez AP66/AP70
The Loar 204 Mahagony
Gretsch Dandy

I've been looking at these but - correct me if I'm wrong - I read that these parlor guitars are mostly blues guitars best suited for finger picking. I'm definitely more strumming or flatpicking, so I'm unsure if these guitars will be right for me.

Anyone of you played some of these and can even compare them to the mini?

Basically I'm looking for a neat couch guitar with good playability. I know that I have to make compormises regarding bass levels and loudness compared to a full sized guitar.

I have a loar 200 and a gretsch Americana, same specs as de JD, the loar is better by far in every aspect, but the smaller size of the gretsch makes it great for couch playing.

haveheart

Banned
I have a loar 200 and a gretsch Americana, same specs as de JD, the loar is better by far in every aspect, but the smaller size of the gretsch makes it great for couch playing.

Thanks. What about your playing style and genres?

The Gretsch would be quite the steal for roughly 200€. But I'm scared that it's too boxy and thin sounding. Reviews and youtube videos are really divided.

Can you compare any of yours to the GS mini?

Never played a Gs mini, with the loar you can play mostly everything even is more oriented for blues. The gretsch I got because it was like 100euros and is cool looking but I would be looking for an upgrade of I didn't have the loar.

haveheart

Banned
Never played a Gs mini, with the loar you can play mostly everything even is more oriented for blues. The gretsch I got because it was like 100euros and is cool looking but I would be looking for an upgrade of I didn't have the loar.

Alright, thanks.

I'll play a mini tonight and make up my mind. I'll keep the Loar on my list.

NEO0MJ

Most people play with it between their legs when they are sitting - Michael Schenker style. Some Vs have a rubber grip-like thing on side of the V to put on your lap, like the Gibson/Epiphone Korina V series, but most people don't use it. It's mostly a stand up and play guitar, but it also has neck-dive issues so some people put weights (like fishing lure weights) in the body to balance it out.

Guess it's too soon for me, then. I put the Dean Angel of Death on my shortlist of potential future guitars but I was then started wondering if I can handle it, considering I don't play standing much.

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my question.

Guess it's too soon for me, then. I put the Dean Angel of Death on my shortlist of potential future guitars but I was then started wondering if I can handle it, considering I don't play standing much.

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my question.

Yeah it would be like this for sitting with the Angel of Death:

It's not that bad, people get used to it fairly quickly. But you kinda hold the neck up as you play. People also like to move around the strap locks on their Vs to find a more comfortable standing strap position.

You can strum the small ones, it's fine. The tonal/volume characteristics of various body sizes lend themselves to different uses but there's no need to pigeonhole. If it is a concern, the larger Ibanez AC240 might be the one since it isn't a parlour and is instead a grand concert, but as such it will feel significantly larger than the parlours.

haveheart

Banned
You can strum the small ones, it's fine. The tonal/volume characteristics of various body sizes lend themselves to different uses but there's no need to pigeonhole. If it is a concern, the larger Ibanez AC240 might be the one since it isn't a parlour and is instead a grand concert, but as such it will feel significantly larger than the parlours.

Ah, I thought it was smaller sized. My mistake. So it's about the size of a gs mini, I guess?

My shortlist looks like this:

Alvarez AP66/AP70
The Loar 204
Ibanez AC240

I'll get the chance to play a gs mini tonight. I hope I don't like it so I'll have to go for one of the cheaper guitars.

Ah, I thought it was smaller sized. My mistake. So it's about the size of a gs mini, I guess?

GS has a slightly smaller body and a shorter neck than the Ibanez.

In fact they all have different scale lengths so all will be different to play:
Taylor Mini GS is 23.5"
Alvarez AP66 is 24"
Ibanez AC240 is 25"
The Loar is 25.4"

Yeah must be a new thing cuz I've never seen a wraparound with individual intonation for each string! That's wild!

Yeah it's definitely a welcome addition to my PRS. I've got it set up quite good right now but it could be better with those sweet per string adjustments.

The current wrap around is pretty much like this. Only height and distance adjustments are a possibility.
10896897_800.jpg

Then again a bridge like this would be great.
11473126_800.jpg

NEO0MJ

Yeah it would be like this for sitting with the Angel of Death:

It's not that bad, people get used to it fairly quickly. But you kinda hold the neck up as you play. People also like to move around the strap locks on their Vs to find a more comfortable standing strap position.

Hmmm. I still have a few months to decide, that if I decide to buy a new guitar. Might go with a gaming PC.

Surfinn

On the topic of Guitar Rig.. I found their cleans to actually be some of the best I've heard in regard to DI recording. Their jazz chorus sounds pretty damn incredible with reverb.

But their distorted sounds are pretty bad. Scuffham does a way better job there and remains the closest I've heard to overdriven/heavily distorted sounds.

Maybe I didn't spend enough time with it, but I was really disappointed in BIAS FX. Their cleans were pretty good but I couldn't get a decent distortion for the life of me.

Anybody have any recommendations for a looper pedal?

I do have a Peavy Vyper so I heard the pedal works well with it but I'm not too attached to the amp itself tbh.

On the topic of Guitar Rig.. I found their cleans to actually be some of the best I've heard in regard to DI recording. Their jazz chorus sounds pretty damn incredible with reverb.

But their distorted sounds are pretty bad. Scuffham does a way better job there and remains the closest I've heard to overdriven/heavily distorted sounds.

Maybe I didn't spend enough time with it, but I was really disappointed in BIAS FX. Their cleans were pretty good but I couldn't get a decent distortion for the life of me.

Get your hands on the preset bank and things get interesting. Tons of insanely good sounding distortion setups there if you search enough. There's the possibility of combining BIAS AMP with FX and widen the range even further as well.

Top Bottom