• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guitar Hero 3 - first videos

c'mon guys Weezer's Pinkerton songs are softer and slower than the "blue album" ones, but i rather songs like "no one else" or "buddy holly", "surf wax america", etc.. than "my name is jonas", anyway i liked the whole "blue album" so there's no major issue for me.

Arch

Ugly HUD, notes out of sync, looks like a general lack of polish at this stage. I sure as hell wouldn't be showing off my game if it looked like that, following an act like Guitar Hero 2.

I worry for Neversoft's ability to turn this around.

Neo Child

Banned
Vicious said:
One of my main concerns is how Neversoft handles the HO/PO system. I hope to god it's like GH2 and that they didn't go back to how it was in GH1.

Whats HO/PO, and whats different?

I have both GH1 and GH2. Prefer 1 cause of the better songs in my opinion.

Neo Child said:
Whats HO/PO, and whats different?

HO/PO is the fact that, like on a real guitar, you can play certain notes without strumming the strumbar. You can do it on all the notes that aren't black-circled.

And the difference is that the HO/PO were incredibly smooth in GH2 and that when you go back to GH1, it's hard as hell and makes the experience a bit shitty.

Secks4Food said:
Then again, I guess anything looks boring after playing Jordan and Hangar 18 :/

Bootaaay said:
Ugh, please tell me the track-listing is more metal than freaking Weezer or Foghat...i'm not buying III unless they ramp up the metal.

This is why III's list is infinitely better than II. II was a metal guy's dream...but for all OTHER music lovers, it's a pain in the ass to get through. Haaaaaate II's tracks.

dakiparu

$h@d0w said:
The new UI looks awful, I hope that isn't final.

I love it, instead! I find it simple and stylish! the notes counter adds a lot! About songs I hope to get a mix of metal and soft rock/pop. I think they sould try to satisfy everybody's needs.
I love the new guitar too! the buttons on the xbox360 guitar are horrible!

LakeEarth

Bootaaay said:
Ugh, please tell me the track-listing is more metal than freaking Weezer or Foghat...i'm not buying III unless they ramp up the metal.
They didn't announce any metal, but they've announced Sabotage and Cherub Rock, those are decently hard.

Another vote for ugly hud. I don't even like the way the notes move. I'll get used to it I'm sure, but as of right now it looks kinda dull. The 3D backgrounds are cool, but I wonder how much time they waste doing those. Its not like we can see it while we're playing.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
Im sure it isnt final, it lacks alot of effects, like star power is unreadable, if this isnt a hud thats still going to be heavilly tweaked ill be a sad panda.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
BrandNew said:
This is why III's list is infinitely better than II. II was a metal guy's dream...but for all OTHER music lovers, it's a pain in the ass to get through. Haaaaaate II's tracks.

II is FAR from a "metal lover's dream".

=W=

i would kill someone in front of their own mother to get "one big holiday" by my morning jacket on here. you hear me neversoft? just give me a name.

BrandNew said:
It was moreso than GHI. I'm talking about the whole track list, including unlockables.

Surely the appeal of "The Fall Of Pangea" by Valient Thorr transcends all musical preference. 80% of the metal on II was, beyond its genre, ****ING AMAZING to play.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
If they put a song like YES WE CAN in, ill figure it out and make a scratch on the disc so it doesnt play that track. god i hate that song.

LakeEarth

Tiduz said:
If they put a song like YES WE CAN in, ill figure it out and make a scratch on the disc so it doesnt play that track. god i hate that song.
I saw a 100% run on Youtube and all the comments went "why the hell would you even bother?" :lol

Z_Y

Kifimbo said:
Oh noes, new songs every year ! Activision, you are so evil, you should only release new songs every three years. Oh, and give us only 20 songs per games. Otherwise, you're going to kill the franchise.

I'm all for new songs...in fact I have my finger on the X button here ready to purchase some MS points when the new DLC packs hit the market place. Should be any minute now...

...any minute now...

Perhaps I should start up a webcam/blog documenting this.

In summary...

New songs? GREAT!

New songs on a different disc? Not so great...but I'd probably buy it anyway.

I need a new guitar to play these new songs when I just bought one a month and a half ago? That makes what UBI and EA do look like consensual butsecks.

fresquito

Seriously, who the hell cares about the HUD of aq game that is not finished? If I have something to worry about, and I do, is who aparently easy th songs are. When I first listened to them, I thought most of them were on the easy side. But seeing what should be difficult setting being so easy is worrysome to me.

That or they've upped the difficulty and now normal has orange notes.

So it turns out Neversoft doesn't have access to the code (created by Harmonix) from the original two games, eh? I'm slightly more concerned now than I was in my last post.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
a Master Ninja said:
So it turns out Neversoft doesn't have access to the code (created by Harmonix) from the original two games, eh? I'm slightly more concerned now than I was in my last post.

Yeah, I think this is where the timing issues are stemming from. I wonder if they were forced to change the HUD too?

brokenwatch said:
What's your source for that AMN?
It says it on the IGN article posted somewhere in this thread

What the hell. There better be a very good reason for not letting them use the same code and build on to that.

EDIT: Never mind, they aren't both owned by Activision as I had first thought.

AndyMoogle said:
What the hell. There better be a very good reason for not letting them use the same code and build on to that.

I assume they made some deal that since Harmonix did all the hard work in making the code to begin with, they get to keep it and use it in Rock Band.

a Master Ninja said:
i feel the same way. also i hate what they've done to Judy Nails.

Gigglepoo

a Master Ninja said:
I assume they made some deal that since Harmonix did all the hard work in making the code to begin with, they get to keep it and use it in Rock Band.

I'm almost 100% sure that Harmonix is not allowed to reuse any of the code from GH.

Flynn

plagiarize said:
i feel the same way. also i hate what they've done to Judy Nails.

You can tell they're ditching the look and style of the originals. The stuff that looks like doodles on the front of a high-schooler's composition book seems gone. Same with the lightning-bolt style metal lettering.

I seriously wonder if Neversoft really gets it.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Flynn said:
You can tell they're ditching the look and style of the originals. The stuff that looks like doodles on the front of a high-schooler's composition book seems gone. Same with the lightning-bolt style metal lettering.

I seriously wonder if Neversoft really gets it.

Don't forget that "Guitar Villian" was trademarked a while ago. They might just be covering their asses in case someone makes a rip off or something, but if it turns into a real game...I don't think they really understand the series.

It may be Guitar Hero in name but its soul will be lost

kenta

Has no PEINS
I can't remember the last time I saw Wario posting on page 4 of a thread, not to mention actually having a discussion. This really is serious

Flynn

Wario64 said:
It may be Guitar Hero in name but its soul will be lost

This is my biggest concern. The game is so much more than 30 songs and rhythm/action game play.

In the IGN preview they suggest that song selection is coming from user wishlists. I really hope that's not true. People who really love music don't need suggestions for what songs to put in a game, movie or whatever. They're passionate enough about music that they've already got 100 songs they're willing to go to the mat for.

If you let users pick the music you get crap like Singstar.

Flynn said:
This is my biggest concern. The game is so much more than 30 songs and rhythm/action game play.

In the IGN preview they suggest that song selection is coming from user wishlists. I really hope that's not true. People who really love music don't need suggestions for what songs to put in a game, movie or whatever. They're passionate enough about music that they've already got 100 songs they're willing to go to the mat for.

If you let users pick the music you get crap like Singstar.

How is Singstar crap?

I think you guys are cowardly hating the game because it is becoming mainstream and popular. It's not your obscure Bemami games anymore, and it's scaring the shit out of you, and you're inventing thing such as "the game has a soul" and "neversoft is gonna screw the game".

Whatever, it's Guitar Hero, it's already being milked to hell. It's a winning recipe.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I'm not hating anything yet until I play Guitar Hero 3, just skeptical/paranoid at this stage. I want more Guitar Hero so no way am I hating it just cause it's mainstream or popular. It's one of my most played games these days, no reason to hate it. I'll only hate it if Neversoft doesn't deliver.

Wario64 said:
I'm not hating anything yet until I play Guitar Hero 3, just skeptical/paranoid at this stage. I want more Guitar Hero so no way am I hating it just cause it's mainstream or popular. It's one of my most played games these days, no reason to hate it. I'll only hate it if Neversoft doesn't deliver.

Doesn't deliver on what? You don't want them to innovate, and yet you're bitching when they send out Expansion pack.

Even if they put a villain or I don't know, a giant unicorn, who cares, it's still you playing ****ing air guitar and pushing some color buttons. The formula is that simple.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Littleberu said:
Doesn't deliver on what? You don't want them to innovate, and yet you're bitching when they send out Expansion pack.

There's already details that I dont like so far, though not finalized yet but the lower difficulty, HUD, and timing issues are huge turn offs for me. And if the formula was so simple, someone would have made a Guitar Hero clone by now.

Flynn

Littleberu said:
How is Singstar crap?

I think you guys are cowardly hating the game because it is becoming mainstream and popular. It's not your obscure Bemami games anymore, and it's scaring the shit out of you, and you're inventing thing such as "the game has a soul" and "neversoft is gonna screw the game".

The music in Singstar is horrendous, even from a pop perspective. I could give a **** about how many people play a game. To be honest, I hated the music in Bemani games too. It was largely Eurobeat crap. Guitar Hero was really one of the first games to put really excellent music in a music game.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
my biggest concern is the soft muting when you miss, that really does concern me. its just not acceptable imo.

gururoji

I hope this is very early--this looks awful. It's great that the Weezer track is the actual song, but all it does when a mistake is made is make the whole song quieter. This makes it much less like you're actually playing the guitar and more like you just have to hit buttons at the right place to make the song keep playing.

Booo.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
gururoji said:
I hope this is very early--this looks awful. It's great that the Weezer track is the actual song, but all it does when a mistake is made is make the whole song quieter. This makes it much less like you're actually playing the guitar and more like you just have to hit buttons at the right place to make the song keep playing.

Booo.
GREAT MINDS THINK ALIKE, exactly my point :)

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
gururoji said:

Booo.

I'm pretty sure the note mistake effect isn't finalized yet. The note mistake effect that's currently in place is exactly what happens when you make a mistake in those hacked Guitar Hero 1/2 PS2 versions with those customized songs.

Flynn

gururoji said:

Booo.

This could be a result of using the master track rather than recording the track as a cover. It's possible that the licensing agreement only allows for certain usages, such as muting. It's also possible that Neversoft wasn't provided with multiple audio tracks, so that muting the entire song was their only option.

In my mind part of what made Guitar Hero so great was the effort they put into getting the rights to the songs they wanted. The effort must have been Herculean, but I think it was Harmonix's love for the material that made the work worth it.

Just speculation, but I'd imagine that as the torch gets passed to a secondary team the desire to fight for certain songs and go through the arduous legal red tape to arrange for them will likely diminish.

gururoji

Wario64 said:
I'm pretty sure the note mistake effect isn't finalized yet. The note mistake effect that's currently in place is exactly what happens when you make a mistake in those hacked Guitar Hero 1/2 PS2 versions with those customized songs.

Yeah, it's possible. I sure hope so. Did they actually obtain individual tracks from the real artists for this game? For some reason I thought that was happening in Rock Band but not GHIII... Slow Ride is definitely a cover.

LiveWire

gururoji said:

Booo.

Yea, this is a major ****-up. It's why Frets on Fire, while fun to **** around with for a half hour, is ultimately less fulfilling than GH. I was ok with Neversoft taking over from Harmonix, but I assumed that it was a simple handover of assets. I guess we all know what happens when we assume. Normally I'm not the type to boycott a game, but this might be my first time doing so.....Rock Band or Bust? :/

LakeEarth

gururoji said:
Yeah, it's possible. I sure hope so. Did they actually obtain individual tracks from the real artists for this game? For some reason I thought that was happening in Rock Band but not GHIII... Slow Ride is definitely a cover.
Of the 11 announced songs :
Covers
"Barracuda" - Heart
"Rock and Roll All Nite" - Kiss
"School's Out" - Alice Cooper
"Slow Ride" - Foghat

Original Bands
"Cherub Rock" - Smashing Pumpkins
"Cult of Personality" - Living Colour
"Knights of Cydonia" - Muse
"The Metal" - Tenacious D
"My Name is Jonas" - Weezer
"Paint It, Black" - The Rolling Stones
"Sabotage" - Beastie Boys

Also to note, all the original band songs in GH2, including the 360 exclusive ones, are set up like other songs, ie no muting of entire song when you make a mistake.

Gigglepoo

gururoji said:
Did they actually obtain individual tracks from the real artists for this game?

Just like in GH2, some are real and some are covers. This will be the last GH to make that mistake, though. Harmonix will change everything one more time with Rock Band.

gururoji

Gotcha, sorry I didn't even know there were real band tracks in GH2. GH1 is the only one I played extensively--I've only done GH2 some at a friend's place.

Provided that a new guitar isn't necessary, I'm still holding out some hope for GH3...I'm nervous that they don't get to use the same code, but there's still time for them to pull it off.

Top Bottom