• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guitar Hero 3 - first videos

phil_fish

i love made in mexico and i hope they have a track in every GH ever.
except that wont happen because they were friend with someone at harmonix.
almost all the unlockable bands were either local bands, friends of the devs, of the devs themselves.

i saw them one live, ina dungeon.
it was amazing.
farewel myth was better tho.

i also want more deathklok, thunderhorse was kinda lame, they could use a much better song.

the tracks so far seem to be a bit on the "alt" side, whatever that means nowadays.
its nice to see it move away from all the metal wankery of GH2

Odrion

Banned
Littleberu said:
How is Singstar crap?

I think you guys are cowardly hating the game because it is becoming mainstream and popular. It's not your obscure Bemami games anymore, and it's scaring the shit out of you, and you're inventing thing such as "the game has a soul" and "neversoft is gonna screw the game".

Whatever, it's Guitar Hero, it's already being milked to hell. It's a winning recipe.

What? Guitar Hero was popular to begin with, we're afraid because ****ing up a Guitar Hero would be disastrous to us. Especially if they end up including songs we really wanted, but the gameplay is too hosed up to enjoy it. I'm afraid they'll messing up the note sections, or end up staying with that off sync track.

In the IGN preview they suggest that song selection is coming from user wishlists. I really hope that's not true. People who really love music don't need suggestions for what songs to put in a game, movie or whatever. They're passionate enough about music that they've already got 100 songs they're willing to go to the mat for.

I can agree with this. They should be choosing the songs they GIVE US A RADIOHEAD SONG enjoy and not our wishes.

gururoji

Gigglepoo said:
It is necessary. The whole draw is the plastic guitar. If you're just using the Dual Shock you're better off playing Amplitude.

No, I have the GH1 guitar. I mean that some one said the colors are rearranged in these GH3 vids, although I didn't actually try to verify...

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
phil_fish said:
i love made in mexico and i hope they have a track in every GH ever.
except that wont happen because they were friend with someone at harmonix.

Ugh, hated the Made in Mexico tracks. Just awful to my ears :)

Freezepop though, I've liked every track that have appeared in these games. But they're probably gonna go away with GH3 too. If there's even 'unlockable' songs with less known bands in this one.

radjago

I love the tubes in the HUD. It makes the distortion that much more creamy and rich.

Tubes > Transistors

Jonas would be so much better on Expert. Slow Ride, not so much.

Wario64 said:
Ugh, hated the Made in Mexico tracks. Just awful to my ears :)

Freezepop though, I've liked every track that have appeared in these games. But they're definately gonna go away with GH3 too. If there's even 'unlockable' songs with less known bands in this one.
fixed.
Freezepop is an indie synthpop/New Wave band composed of Liz Enthusiasm, the Duke of Pannekoeken (originally the Duke of Candied Apples, both pseudonyms of Kasson Crooker), and the Other Sean T. Drinkwater (who claims to be a clone of the "original" Sean T. Drinkwater). They formed in Boston, Massachusetts in 1999.

They have gained a number of fans through their work in video games, and several of their songs can be found on titles such as FreQuency, Amplitude, Karaoke Revolution, Guitar Hero, Guitar Hero II, and Downhill Domination, along with one of the North American entries in the Dance Dance Revolution series. Many of these games were developed by Harmonix, a company for which Kasson Crooker is the Audio Director.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Downhill Domination? Never knew...

BTW, the Guitar Hero 3 videos on IGN just appeared on the RSS feed again. Videos dated 5/31. WTF is going on?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I didnt check the Slow Ride revised video, but My Name is Jonas appears to be on Expert now, where the previous video (see youtube link) was only on hard difficulty it seems like. And the person playing doesn't suck ass.

Wow My Name is Jonas doesn't suck now. Also, I just noticed this. I think the "neck" of the guitar, the part where the notes come down, looks like it is still designed for a song written in 4/4 time. My name is Jonas is in 3/4 time and as such the notes look like they are in odd places coming down the track. That shit needs to be fixed.

Edit: this game is def. set up for 4/4 time only. Before the song starts there are FOUR clacks from the drumsticks. WTF Neversoft!? I don't mean to bitch and moan but that shit looks way more confusing that it should because the entire game is designed around songs written in 4/4 time.

RADIOHEAD, GIVE US A SONG

Give us the new album :(

I'm more excited about Rock Band tbh.

Edit: Have the coloured buttons changed? If they have, doesn't that mean everyone who bought guitar hero 2 won't be able to use their old guitar?

Mrbob

I like the fact we are getting more and more master tracks.

Any word on guitar compatibility yet?

I'm going to be bummed if I can't use my 360 GH2 guitar with the game.

I'll probably still buy the guitar package for GH3, but I would like to use my existing guitar for multiplayer.

RPS37

Mrbob said:
I like the fact we are getting more and more master tracks.

Any word on guitar compatibility yet?

I'm going to be bummed if I can't use my 360 GH2 guitar with the game.

I'll probably still buy the guitar package for GH3, but I would like to use my existing guitar for multiplayer.

There's no doubt the 360 GH2 guitar will still work with GH3.

I'll also probably still buy the guitar package as well because the redesigned wireless guitar has better start/back buttons and d-pad position but IMO it doesn't look as rock as the wired one.

LakeEarth

Even Flow, awesome. I'm pretty damn sure that would be a fun one. I never heard of the other, but its not bad. And its awesome they got Living Colour to redo Cult of Personality since the master tracks were lost.

EDIT - videos are better, still don't like the hud. I don't like how the notes have a faux 3D render look, like its Guitar Hero, brought to you by Donkey Kong Country. I'm really liking their song choices so if it 'feels' like Guitar Hero, I'll be happy.

"The Living Colour song, Cult of Personality, is a track that people have been wanting in Guitar Hero for a long time. There was a slight hitch with it though. The master track was nowhere to be found. Instead of getting a cover, Living Colour came in and re-recorded the song just for the game. And they threw in a wicked solo that makes this song on expert just plain ridiculous."

awesome

Aaron

apocalidiot said:
"The Living Colour song, Cult of Personality, is a track that people have been wanting in Guitar Hero for a long time. There was a slight hitch with it though. The master track was nowhere to be found. Instead of getting a cover, Living Colour came in and re-recorded the song just for the game. And they threw in a wicked solo that makes this song on expert just plain ridiculous."

awesome
Damn. Day one purchase now. So love that song.

KingGondo

Banned
apocalidiot said:

awesome

Very cool.

Everyone freaking out about the interface needs to relax. Neversoft have shown themselves to be an excellent developer in the past, even if they just cranked out THPS sequels. I'm sure they're in communication with Harmonix, and god knows that they're passionate about music, judging only from the Tony Hawk series.

For the record, from the grain-ass Youtube video, I don't mind the changes. It will actually be nice to have a more visible, in your face points-meter--I'm sure I'm not alone in being distracted by trying to see my score in GH1 and 2.

Gigglepoo

Wario64 said:
Evenflow: Pearl Jam

Sweet! And it's a Master Track! I couldn't play that crappy rendition of Life Wasted (an average song in any case) but this should be sweet.

Now I just need some Tragically Hip...

Wario64 said:
master tracks

Evenflow: Pearl Jam

060820_tiger_vmed_4p.widec.jpg

i've been tempted to get GH2 but now i think i'll just wait for that wireless guitar with part 3, and get GH2 later on down the road.

Odrion

Banned
You know, if they are taking suggestions from the internet. I wonder how this will increase the chance for a Dragonforce track. You know that at least one member on every message board on the internet that talked about Guitar Hero said at least once that "Dude, this game needs Draaaaagonforce."

Paranoid_Robot said:
Give us the new album :(
Glad I'm not alone with that. I'm starting to think we'll not see it this year. :[

Kewk

Banned
Wario64 said:
I caught this from the Guitar Hero forums, talking about why videos are down:

From my friend at IGN:

"Neversoft saw the reaction that was present on the internet message boards (namely Gaming-Age Forums) and decided to tell us to pull the videos, because they were "works in progress" and not indictive of the final game, and didn't want all the bashing to continue."

Good job GAF.

Obviously he is lying because all of he videos are still up.

Kewk

Banned
kenta said:
True, but have you watched the videos on IGN's servers? The notes are literally an entire beat off, it's totally inexcusable

Yeah I mean games are perfect from the start of the project. There is never any tweaking or bug fixing EVER IN ANY GAME.

wow humanity never ceases to amaze me.

flsh

Banned
Expert looks great. I even like the new interface after getting used to it.
It's really nice knowing how long your string is.
I just hate that some songs feel like they've been put in the game simply as a technique showdown, as they are not even a bit musical (Slow ride I am looking at you).
And don't make this an alt rock game. Having GH2 feathering mostly Metal songs is bad enough. Diversion is GOOD. I like GH1s diversion the most but it's impossible to play without hyper speed now.
In fact, make speed selection in the song's menu. Have speeds that are faster than hyper even. Just more fun for youtube :)

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
The revised IGN videos look a lot better than the initial batch. Having a good player on expert makes all the difference.

Vlad

Ok, the battle mode sounds promising, I'll give it that much.

However, I hope that they allow you to turn off certain power ups. The Whammy Bar and Broken String ones sound a bit too powerful. I'm fine with something that you can work around (like Lefty Flip and Amp Overload) with some skill, but those two sound like they could be too powerful, kind of like the blue shells in Mario Kart.

Angelcurio

I dont like the way the new hud looks, even the colors look like it was done in mugen or something along those lines.

The song timing is way off and out of synch, and i really hate the new character designs. Wtf happenned with Judy Nails, and why did they have to put that huge mouth to the main vocalist?

Another thing that really worries me is that fact that the only own the ip, not the game code of the first two games, so not having Harmonix on board and having to do GH3 completely from scratch really worries me. I hope that activision doesn't end up screwing up the series and turning it into a mediocre series.

Something tells me that a lot of us will end up migrating to Rock Band.

Top Bottom