• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guitar hero 3: TTFATF COMPLETE with SOLO

cicatriz said:
Has no one heard of Rhapsody?
:lol :lol

progressive_rock_discography_band%5CRhapsody.jpg

Ten-Song

AstroLad said:
No, that's the great thing about Guitar Hero is that it scales difficulty so nicely. A playthrough on Normal will traditionally get you all the songs, and I believe that's what they're doing here as well.

The first game had a great scale for difficulty, the second one on the higher difficulties seemed to be really punishing, and that's what I fear happening here as well. I'm fine with expert mode being like some ungodly level of hard, but just going to any mode that uses all the buttons on the controller seams like it's getting to a level of punishment that's just not fun for me.

I know I can just chill out on normal, I just kinda' wish that there was a better bridge between "HOLY CRAP" and "Hey this is fun".

That all said though, I'm still getting the game. Worst comes to worst and it's stupid hard just going through hard mode on career? Well, gives me good practice I guess.

BboyDubC

Ten-Song said:
The first game had a great scale for difficulty, the second one on the higher difficulties seemed to be really punishing, and that's what I fear happening here as well. I'm fine with expert mode being like some ungodly level of hard, but just going to any mode that uses all the buttons on the controller seams like it's getting to a level of punishment that's just not fun for me.

I know I can just chill out on normal, I just kinda' wish that there was a better bridge between "HOLY CRAP" and "Hey this is fun".

That all said though, I'm still getting the game. Worst comes to worst and it's stupid hard just going through hard mode on career? Well, gives me good practice I guess.

Wow... of course at first it is really hard. It is designed so that you PRACTICE. Once you do, you begin to do things that surprise you, then your fingers start flying and you expect them to. It is called getting "better". Also, what do you expect them to do, when the actual MUSIC has those notes in it? Only pick crappy music that has single notes and no solos? It's guitar hero, and they want to make you feel like you are playing the guitar and the actual music, so GTFO with that mindset! Go find koombayah hero.

Ten-Song

BboyDubC said:
Wow... of course at first it is really hard. It is designed so that you PRACTICE. Once you do, you begin to do things that surprise you, then your fingers start flying and you expect them to. It is called getting "better". Also, what do you expect them to do, when the actual MUSIC has those notes in it? Only pick crappy music that has single notes and no solos? It's guitar hero, and they want to make you feel like you are playing the guitar and the actual music, so GTFO with that mindset! Go find koombayah hero.

No, like I said the first game scaled great, the second game just switched from "this is baby shit..." to "what the hell?" in zero seconds. I can just stick to normal, but the gap between that and hard still doesn't have a fun place. I can either play a mind numbingly simple game, or one that's just a wee bit beyond my grasp, there's no middle ground like there was in the first game where I could just have fun...

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
What the need to do is if you're playing the game on expert but encounter a block, it should allow you to bump the difficulty down a notch without having to beat the previous songs again. I think that would encourage people to try harder difficulties from the start without being frustrated.

BboyDubC

Ten-Song said:
No, like I said the first game scaled great, the second game just switched from "this is baby shit..." to "what the hell?" in zero seconds. I'm aware that most of it is just repitition and getting better, but in the end it's still a video game, so I value fun over having to spend eons beating freebird on a high difficulty.

Then DON'T PLAY on the higher difficulty. It really isn't rocket science. The higher difficulties aren't just there for the sake of being hard. They are there because it is more like playing the real song by the simple fact that you are hitting notes for every note in the actual song. Sure it isn't real guitar where you may need 6 years, but it should still take significant practice time, or there would be no reward to TRULY feel like you are rocking out/playing something difficult and "closer" to authentic. I have LOADS of fun playing the hardest songs on expert, because I can HIT THEM. I've 5 starred the first like 6 and a half tiers on expert. It is fun to play songs like YYZ, Hangar 18, Laid to Rest, Beast and the Harlot, etc. on expert because I can do it. FUN also scales with how much you put in and what you can do.

Edit: Actually, I've heard that Hard in GH3 is even harder than it was in GH2. You do a lot of the same solos/riffs as expert (doesn't really effect me, as I played the demo and 5 starred everything on expert due to the insane amount of time I've put into GH2). So it looks like you are out of luck on this one. Maybe normal is harder too? Or maybe the game makers just want YOU to get better and you refuse.

Ten-Song

BboyDubC said:
Then DON'T PLAY on the higher difficulty. It really isn't rocket science. The higher difficulties aren't just there for the sake of being hard. They are there because it is more like playing the real song by the simple fact that you are hitting notes for every note in the actual song. Sure it isn't real guitar where you may need 6 years, but it should still take significant practice time, or there would be no reward to TRULY feel like you are rocking out/playing something difficult and "closer" to authentic. I have LOADS of fun playing the hardest songs on expert, because I can HIT THEM. I've 5 starred the first like 6 and a half tiers on expert. It is fun to play songs like YYZ, Hangar 18, Laid to Rest, Beast and the Harlot, etc. on expert because I can do it. FUN also scales with how much you put in and what you can do.

Edit: Actually, I've heard that Hard in GH3 is even harder than it was in GH2. You do a lot of the same solos/riffs as expert (doesn't really effect me, as I played the demo and 5 starred everything on expert due to the insane amount of time I've put into GH2). So it looks like you are out of luck on this one. Maybe normal is harder too? Or maybe the game makers just want YOU to get better and you refuse.

I don't really care about what score I get, which went back to my first gripe. Like I said, the divide between normal and hard just sucks for me, because normal feels TOO easy, and hard feels too complex, I just want to use the orange button and have fun, not spend hours a day trying to get past a single song and better my skill level.

Wario64 said:
What the need to do is if you're playing the game on expert but encounter a block, it should allow you to bump the difficulty down a notch without having to beat the previous songs again. I think that would encourage people to try harder difficulties from the start without being frustrated.

That actually seems like a REALLY good idea, that way in the end you can still make SOME progress without banging your head against a wall.

Vlad

Well, I hate to poke the beehive with a stick in regards to difficulty, but a complete video of the song has popped up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThGwxvoMJRY

Unlike the one in the OP, this has the whole song from beginning to end. It's not direct-feed, but it's good enough to see and hear well enough.

It pretty much looks like what you'd expect. Pretty damn hard, but for some reason, it doesn't look as hard as Jordan does to me (still haven't beaten that damn song). Of course, playing it is a whole other matter, and the fact that it's seven minutes of almost-constant onslaught, it's going to be quite the endurance test.

Top Bottom