• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gungnir |OT| The War to End All Wars

So I finished Riviera a while back and I want to get the Dept Heaven games out of the way before this comes out.

Is the accepted order Riviera->Yggdra Union->Knights in the Nightmare? I know they are (very) loosely tied so it doesn't particularly matter, but I'd prefer to do it right. I have the PSP KitN w/Yggdra so I'd like to know which to play first..

I'd just play them from the order you listed. If you want to play them in order of the story it goes: Blaze union (Not in English), Yggdra, KitN and last with Riviera. I have no idea where Gungnir fits in and nor do I think I'll figure it out once I get to the end, because just like with the others, I didn't piece it together till a year or two down the road.

Noticed that too, though really I think it may have been in one instance.

Overall, really loved the game though, very much a mini FF tactics. Always got a guilty pleasure when I would "ring out" an annoying enemy.

Here's my full review...if anyone cares :)
http://gamefanmag.com/viewpoint/review-gungnir

I didn't like this. It had no in-game logic, as that's not void outside the map like Makai Kingdom. Now into the water or chasm? Fuckin' A mang.

NichM

Banned
So, while I have not personally tried it, I'm seeing reports that Gungnir can now be transferred to the Vita, for those of you who were waiting for that to happen.

DiscoJer

It works! If you have a PS3.

Has Sony ever explained this? Why PSP games won't work on the Vita, but will transfer over?

I mean, if they flip a switch or something that lets it work on the Vita via the PS3, can't they, at the same time, flip a switch that puts it in the Vita store (or allow it to download right away)?

Koroviev

So maybe Growlanser won't take a huge amount of time.

Don't jinx it >:|

Has Sony ever explained this? Why PSP games won't work on the Vita, but will transfer over?

I mean, if they flip a switch or something that lets it work on the Vita via the PS3, can't they, at the same time, flip a switch that puts it in the Vita store (or allow it to download right away)?

Don't try to apply logic to Sony. They're incompatible.

AF_Writer

Banned
This was my first Dept. Heaven game, and after I put 30 hours into it during my recent road trip, I finally beat it. Overall, I really enjoyed the game and because of Gungnir, I bought Rivera and Yggdra Union during the Atlas sale.

One thing I wanted to mention though was the game's ending, which I felt was kind of lackluster. From what I've gathered, there are multiple endings and the game gives you moral choices throughout the game, which help shape the way the story unfolds. On my first play through, each choice I made seemed logical and what the typical "good guy" would choose.

However, once the game ended, I really felt letdown. So my questions to the other GAFers who've beaten the game is how much does each decision weigh into the overall ending and does anyone know how many endings the game has?

eternalb

Just saw this in my Atlus Faithful email. Thought I'd make sure the official thread shared the good news!

PS Vita owners, don’t fret! Our last PSP release, Gungnir, may not have supported PS Vita at launch (we greatly appreciate the patience of PS Vita fans hoping for that compatibility), but we’re happy to proclaim that it does now (and should be accessible through the PS Vita PS Store as of August 7th). We’ll cooperate with the right folks as much as possible to make Growlanser: WoT playable on those sexy screens as close to launch as possible.

What is the "consumable" attitude in this game? Most Dept. Heaven games make you lose weapons over time or something. KitN makes you lose characters.

What is the "consumable" attitude in this game? Most Dept. Heaven games make you lose weapons over time or something. KitN makes you lose characters.

It's not "dependant" on a rigid team or kit. Just toss 50k and a random weapon to the Guild and recruit someone a dozen levels above your enemies! It's kinda hard only for the fact each character must learn attacks from the weapons. Speaking of which, does anyone here know if this carries over from weapon to weapon, as in, does "Scarlet Sight" come unlocked on a new more powerful weapon if the character already knew it on a prevoius weapon?

Anyways, my only real beef was that the game could not escape from the event horizon that crushes every SRPG that uses a combo mechanic: overreliance on it. Healers! Whaddya gonna do? BEATS! Too many ranged guys! Whaddya gonna do? BEATS! They've got alotta tactics built up! Whaddya gonna do? BEATS! Only have great ailments on squishies! Whaddya gonna do? BEATS!

Overshadowed everything else in battle and even made multitarget strikes a liability later on, as that was no fair trade-off for the expenditure of 5 Tactics to smoke some Gunner who's getting too close.

I will say its honeymoon lasted FAR longer than Front Mission 4 did, and was difficult and not just drag the fight out.

So I've been playing this for the past few days, I beat Chapter 8 last night on Advanced.

I like it but damn, the screen is effin cluttered! I also wish you could change map rotation to L and R, and also I really need a tilt angle like FF Tactics had.

I really dislike casting spells in this game. I wish they made the delay for the spell and where it falls in the order lineup easier to see at a quick glance. It's shown, but you have to dig a little bit for it. Same thing with buying new gear in the shops; I wish they showed you a quick glance comparison to the gear your characters currently have on. Instead I find myself checking the pwr level, then exiting the ship, going to Forces menu, and checking the stats. Also, I wish they listed names of who can equip what in the shops rather than just show their image. It doesn't work when you have several of the same job class

I find the lack of random battles odd. I'm not a big fan of grinding, but I do like the option of catching any lower level squadmates up when needed. Also they should let me choose the amount of squadmates I'm putting in; I did one battle that required 6 but I only really have 4 that do all the work. I put 2 losers in to round it out and of course they were struggling. I just let them get KO'ed and of course I lost a good weapon.

Will not using spell casters screw me in the end? I really don't like the magic they've shown me so far.

So I've been playing this for the past few days, I beat Chapter 8 last night on Advanced.

I like it but damn, the screen is effin cluttered! I also wish you could change map rotation to L and R, and also I really need a tilt angle like FF Tactics had.

I really dislike casting spells in this game. I wish they made the delay for the spell and where it falls in the order lineup easier to see at a quick glance. It's shown, but you have to dig a little bit for it. Same thing with buying new gear in the shops; I wish they showed you a quick glance comparison to the gear your characters currently have on. Instead I find myself checking the pwr level, then exiting the ship, going to Forces menu, and checking the stats. Also, I wish they listed names of who can equip what in the shops rather than just show their image. It doesn't work when you have several of the same job class

I find the lack of random battles odd. I'm not a big fan of grinding, but I do like the option of catching any lower level squadmates up when needed. Also they should let me choose the amount of squadmates I'm putting in; I did one battle that required 6 but I only really have 4 that do all the work. I put 2 losers in to round it out and of course they were struggling. I just let them get KO'ed and of course I lost a good weapon.

Will not using spell casters screw me in the end? I really don't like the magic they've shown me so far.

Yeah, this was the other problem that was overshadowed by the zany UI (which was oddly very readable at a glance): commonly used actions are mulitple rarely used buttons away, whereas rarely used functions are given prime real estate. It's wierd.

Casters are very valuable early on, but lag off a bit later as your goals change to smoking a dude in at most two turns (see post above). It always maintains its quality at hitting rooftop enemies, of course.

^ well that's good to know then. I just discovered healing magic so maybe I'll work my way into offensive spells later. Probably not

I just beat Chapter 10. It took me like 3 hours and 3 retries. The damn cannon kept rocking my world and I had to look up the faq. Turns out you can shoot the cannon with arrows and kill it in like 3 hits! Goddamn it, I thought you had to hit a switch to turn it off or something. Once I read that I beat it on my first shot, sigh

^ well that's good to know then. I just discovered healing magic so maybe I'll work my way into offensive spells later. Probably not

I just beat Chapter 10. It took me like 3 hours and 3 retries. The damn cannon kept rocking my world and I had to look up the faq. Turns out you can shoot the cannon with arrows and kill it in like 3 hits! Goddamn it, I thought you had to hit a switch to turn it off or something. Once I read that I beat it on my first shot, sigh

Yeah, that's when the game takes the kid gloves off and becomes for no joke.

Top Bottom