• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gunman kills twelve at theater in Aurora Colorado

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aselith

Why would Holmes tripwire his apartment with explosives though if he was planning to make a clean getaway? It seems like he wanted to get caught and take responsibility for the attacks.

Most likely he was a very paranoid person as crazy people tend to be. He probably ALWAYS had it rigged.

Bgamer90

Banned
They had a moment of silence before the Alamo Drafthouse showings today. Classy. I liked it, but it DID make some of the violence in the film a little more unsettling for me personally.

I'm going to see the film later on today.

I have a feeling that some of the action scenes are going to remind me of what happened. I'm pretty sure I won't be the only one.

If I was Nolan I would be pissed (that's not to say that he isn't; I'm pretty sure that he is pissed).

Dishwalla

Banned
And many of the major news organizations aren't reporting on this. There is no mention of a second person on CNNs site, and as far as I can tell the three cable news channels are on an overnight repeat loop. So yeah, still no real coverage.

Why would Holmes tripwire his apartment with explosives though if he was planning to make a clean getaway? It seems like he wanted to get caught and take responsibility for the attacks.

Well, I think they knew the cops would figure out who they were and such, the cops always find out. So maybe they had a safe house etc.. a plan. I dont think they planned to do this and go back to everyday life. Maybe not get caught, but not go back to there lives.

And anyway, somebody had to open the door eventually..and if just would be more deaths, landlord, neighbor etc... And if he really was in the mind of the joker you gotta figure on
"Some men just wanna watch the world burn"

TS-08

IF he didn't want to get caught, I doubt he was going to head home afterward. He probably planned to flee. Again, if he didn't plan to be caught.

JLG-

Second person of interest has been found and interviewed:

DENVER -- Sources close to the investigation of the Aurora theater shootings told the Call7 Investigators that the Aurora Police Department received an electronic communication that threatened violence if James Holmes wasn't released.
Holmes is accused in the slayings of 12 people and the wounding of 58 others at an Aurora theater early Friday.
The communication was traced through an internet protocol number to a router in Aurora. The person who lives at the address is an acquaintance of James Holmes through their program at the Anschutz Medical Campus, according to the sources.
Investigators are uncertain whether the person at the address actually sent the electronic communication or if someone routed it through that address.
Sources said they began looking for the fellow student Friday and they found him Saturday afternoon.
He has been interviewed. It was still unclear Saturday night whether the person actually sent the threat. But, investigators in interviewing him have gained more information about James Holmes, the sources said.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/31293240/detail.html

Key2001

If I am not mistaken someone had blocked him from exiting the theater when they spotted him heading for the exit. Perhaps this delay prevented him from having enough time to escape?

Any idea on how long he was in his vehicle before the police found him? Perhaps by time he reached his car the police already had all the exits blocked.

Even with all of the protective hear (which may suggest he wasn't suicidal) I doubt he wanted a shootout with the police.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
There are plenty of cameras at this theater, around the theater, and at the mall itself. I think it highly unlikely that the cops haven't already checked the video to verify that no one else slipped out those doors, that no car got away, etc.

RDreamer

This source says they've interviewed the person of interest already

DENVER -- Sources close to the investigation of the Aurora theater shootings told the Call7 Investigators that the Aurora Police Department received an electronic communication that threatened violence if James Holmes wasn't released.

Holmes is accused in the slayings of 12 people and the wounding of 58 others at an Aurora theater early Friday.

The communication was traced through an internet protocol number to a router in Aurora. The person who lives at the address is an acquaintance of James Holmes through their program at the Anschutz Medical Campus, according to the sources.

Investigators are uncertain whether the person at the address actually sent the electronic communication or if someone routed it through that address.

Sources said they began looking for the fellow student Friday and they found him Saturday afternoon.

He has been interviewed. It was still unclear Saturday night whether the person actually sent the threat. But, investigators in interviewing him have gained more information about James Holmes, the sources said.

JLG-

Repost for the new page:

Second person of interest has been found and interviewed:

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/31293240/detail.html

I really wish that news outlets would not refer to this as the "Batman Shooting" or the "Dark Knight Rises Shooting". It seems almost like an event name is trying to be made. It just seems distasteful.

All I'm saying is if I'm sitting front row and I see someone walk inside 10 feet from me with an AR-15 and shotgun, I'd hope that I would have the balls to run AT him and not away. Who knows though!

I'm not going to start junior modding. But it's beyond ridiculous, and plainly offensive, for people who start chucking out judgments of the offensive/defensive actions of the victims of a massacre. Come on.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Yeah if their intention is to flee, they are probably long gone. They had more than enough time to leave without suspicion.

Pretty damn sure they would not have made the stupid phone call you know?

My guess is they are still playing their game. Shouldn't be long until the police finds them anyway. I give it two days at most.

Turlast

Banned
It's good that they located the POI, but I want to see what's up with that phone call.

But, after looking it over, they didn't find him at all. Lemme fix my face.

That article doesn't say the found the guy himself, but it says they found the person who owned the device the correspondence came from.

Considering the correspondence was a violent threat, that guy would have been arrested immediately. He wasn't. It sounds like POI used this guy's info as a spoof.

RyanDG

Justin Joseph, the person that broke the story about the accomplice, is looking into the issue about the emergency exit door, and why the alarm or whatever wasn't triggered.

https://twitter.com/justinjoseph/status/226906695203422208

That'll be interesting.

To be fair, working in a theater throughout high school, I can tell you that most of those emergency exits are not rigged with alarms. In fact, in cases of extremely crowded theaters, we would often times (at the end of the movie), open up those exits for people to go out at the end of the movie to make it easier (and less congested) once the film ends for people to get to their car.

This is working in theaters in three different states, with two different companies. Things may have changed since then (since this was a while ago), but I don't find it shocking at all that there wasn't an alarm on those doors since they aren't technically your traditional "Emergency Exits" a lot of the times.

Gradivus

I really wish that news outlets would not refer to this as the "Batman Shooting" or the "Dark Knight Rises Shooting". It seems almost like an event name is trying to be made. It just seems distasteful.

Not really much can be done about it, if it was trying to imply he was the Joker (even with red hair and such) its going to end up being batman related. He just had to choose a night where an extremely popular movie was being showcased (perfect for the killer seeming he is trying to become famous out of this from what's being implied through various articles) .

With the timing of when the music started blaring at the house (before the shooting took place) the theory is he wanted to cause an explosion (triggered by the police who would respond to the noise complaint) at his apartment that would draw in law enforcement away from the theater.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
It's good that they located the POI, but I want to see what's up with that phone call.

But, after looking it over, they didn't find him at all. Lemme fix my face.

I would wait before assuming that the police did interview him. A lot of the reports are all fucked up and reporting bullshit left and right, everyone is getting confused.

That article doesn't say the found the guy himself, but it says they found the person who owned the device the correspondence came from.

Considering the correspondence was a violent threat, that guy would have been arrested immediately. He wasn't. It sounds like POI used this guy's info as a spoof.

Exactly.

To be fair, working in a theater throughout high school, I can tell you that most of those emergency exits are not rigged with alarms. In fact, in cases of extremely crowded theaters, we would often times (at the end of the movie), open up those exits for people to go out at the end of the movie to make it easier (and less congested) once the film ends for people to get to their car.

This is working in theaters in three different states, with two different companies. Things may have changed since then (since this was a while ago), but I don't find it shocking at all that there wasn't an alarm on those doors since they aren't technically your traditional "Emergency Exits" a lot of the times.

Can they be opened from outside? My guess is no. This would fit with the witness who said he answered a phone call and then went for the door, as if to open it for someone. It would also explain why he didn't just come in from the start through that door and actually waited inside for 15 mins.

RDreamer

According to that news story this is the person of interest. The title says person of interest interviewed. In other words, this is that guy we were posting about earlier whose Facebook and twitter was posted. This is that guy. He's possibly denying everything, and so they don't know if the call was routed through his apartment or if he really did it. At least that's how I took it.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

In Denver it's mostly just being called "The Theater Shooting"

Martial

Neo Member
We actually had some asshole teenagers decide it would be funny to get up during the Dark Knight Rises and open the exit door for a minute (which mind you lets in a burst of sunlight) and head over and walk out the regular door, during the movie! Some guy followed them out and told the cops we had there tonight (3, we usually only have 1) and they went and basically asked them questions in the party room before kicking them out. They just said that they wanted to refill their large popcorn and went the wrong way. But come on, there is a huge exit sign over the door. It just pissed me off that anyone could think that could be funny.

RDreamer

With the timing of when the music started blaring at the house (before the shooting took place) the theory is he wanted to cause an explosion (triggered by the police who would respond to the noise complaint) at his apartment that would draw in law enforcement away from the theater.

If he really wanted to draw law enforcement away, wouldn't he have timed things to go off earlier? As it stood, the thing didn't go off until 12, which means no one would have gone into the apartment until much later. It almost seems as though in practice the opposite would have happened. There wouldn't be firefighters and stuff to go to the apartment when that exploded, since it would have exploded later than the shooting pretty much 9 times out of 10.

According to that news story this is the person of interest. The title says person of interest interviewed. In other words, this is that guy we were posting about earlier whose Facebook and twitter was posted. This is that guy. He's possibly denying everything, and so they don't know if the call was routed through his apartment or if he really did it. At least that's how I took it.

They said they talked to this person at his home.

It's not the same guy. The POI, Yeom Pyo Lee, and his female roommate haven't been seen since Thursday night.

Not really much can be done about it, if it was trying to imply he was the Joker (even with red hair and such) its going to end up being batman related. He just had to choose a night where an extremely popular movie was being showcased (perfect for the killer seeming he is trying to become famous out of this from what's being implied through various articles) .

He wants the to be the Joker brah, he wants to go to Arkham not die in a gunfight. Criminal profilist need to read this ASAP.

I've stopped watching the news. I get sick every time I hear the incredibly stupid, ominous music they play every time they come back from commercial signifying something bad happened. Just report the news. We dont need music cues to alert us that this is bad. So damn pathetic.

MThanded

I would wait before assuming that the police did interview him. A lot of the reports are all fucked up and reporting bullshit left and right, everyone is getting confused.

Exactly.

Can they be opened from outside? My guess is no. This would fit with the witness who said he answered a phone call and then went for the door, as if to open it for someone. It would also explain why he didn't just come in from the start through that door and actually waited inside for 15 mins.
Someone earlier in this thread said there were tricks to opening the door from the outside in a theater they worked in. People used to sneak in using it.

Most like the shooter was inside and propped the door somehow when he acted like he was taking a call.

RyanDG

The only way they could be opened from the outside in the theaters I worked at was with the key. Without it, the doors would automatically lock with the only way to open it would be from the inside.

Edit - The locking mechanism was in the latch, so it was incredibly easy to put a piece of paper behind you to stop the door from latching right or closing all the way when you stepped out. We would do this a lot when re supplying the theaters since most of the food storage was under the screen.

CNN has the best with "MASSACRE IN THEATER NINE". Sounds like a decent grindhouse flick. Bravo media.

MThanded

The article linked is extremely poorly written, but that's what I got out of it. Sounds like whoever they interviewed was not Yeom Pyo Lee.
Its amazing how badly written some of the articles are. Write an outline and ensure you actually get the facts into the article somehow.

If necessary put a list with the facts at the end of the article. Hard to decipher this stuff.

RDreamer

They said they talked to this person at his home.

It's not the same guy. The POI, Yeom Pyo Lee, and his female roommate haven't been seen since Thursday night.

I dunno man, I think you're reading it wrong. The piece is about the POI being interviewed. It says they searched for him and found him. It says the guy they found has the same connection of the POI Yeom, and it says it was his address that the phone call came from. They just don't know for sure that he did it, technically.

Its amazing how badly written some of the articles are. Write an outline and ensure you actually get the facts into the article somehow.

If necessary put a list with the facts at the end of the article. Hard to decipher this stuff.

Thing is that I think the police don't want to release his name, so the news is complying. That's why this article just uses vague terms. We already know his name, though, so that's why it seems confusing.

As for theater exit doors, I can only speak from my experience 10 years ago. They aren't emergency exits. They're just exits, but since they're part of the actual theaters, they have no handles on the outside to avoid people breaking/sneaking in. On busy nights, when the movies ended, we (the ushers) held those doors open for people so they could exit quickly to the parking lot. We also used those doors to sneak our friends in when the previews would begin.

I dunno man, I think you're reading it wrong.

1) The guy made terroristic threats if Holmes was not released. He would have been arrested immediately. Whoever they interviewed was not.

2) He's not been seen Thursday night but is magically right back at home Saturday night? The article says they interviewed this person at his home. They also said the female roommate of Lee has been missing too, although she is not a POI. No mention of her in that article.

This is the case with almost every news article you read nowadays. The structure is piss poor with references to an act or statement with no clear indication as to who committed the act or made the statements. Just random "He said" and "the person then" and nothing before or after to give any context clues as to who said or did. This is happening across all major written news media over the last few years. Most of these stories aren't even a rush job. People just cant write news worth a shit anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom