• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guy carries his ar-15 to go shopping at JC Penny

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://sob.apotheon.org/?p=1323

NOW!!! Tell me THAT isn't food for thought. In the UK you are twice as likely to be a victim of a knife attack than a gun attack in the US. Which is all I'm arguing. People that want to commit a crime will find a way so why have such harsh restrictions? If knives were outlawed people would likely strangle eachother in the streets. Lol, that's just the state of the world, I don't want to be refused a gun that I could enjoy shooting on the range though just because of other people's actions.

Most knives are illegal when carried in public, so included in the statistics for "knife crime" would be "possession of a knife"... so not all knife crime = "knife attack".

Most knives are illegal when carried in public, so included in the statistics for "knife crime" would be "possession of a knife"... so not all knife crime = "knife attack".

Plus, surviving a knife attack is far more likely than surviving a gunshot, both in terms of ease of evading/fighting back and likelihood of an injury not being fatal.
Take a few years of martial arts/self defense classes and you'll be able to overpower an assailant with a knife in many situations. You stand a very low chance against a guy with a gun.

zoukka

If I ever saw a person carrying a gun in public, I'd find the closest cover and slowly and quietly sneaked towards that cover then proceeding to leave the immediate area.

I could never live somewhere where the average joe can carry a gun.

FyreWulff

I'm going to also guess car deaths tend to be accidents and the ratio of deaths:car incidents has dropped dramatically since Nader's Raiders. We can continue to mitigate the amount of car crashes by improving car designs and driver education.

Conversely, gun deaths tend to be intentional, the ratio of deaths:gun incidents is almost assuredly higher since there's no safe way to shoot someone with a gun. To lower the amount of gun deaths, it then follows to reduce access to guns and the amount of guns available.

994px-U.s._traffic_deaths_as_fraction_of_total_popualtion_1900-2010.png

Car deaths trend downwards even with increased access to cars and increase in population. Gun deaths are trending upwards.

i3cs6F7hTHkc.jpg

knifes are pretty much the most dangerous thing you can buy in the uk but every single house in the country will own one.
I also bet over half of all the knife crime in uk is done with standard kitchen knifes, not ridiculous hunting knifes or what have you.

If I ever saw a person carrying a gun in public, I'd find the closest cover and slowly and quietly sneaked towards that cover then proceeding to leave the immediate area.

I could never live somewhere where the average joe can carry a gun.

Yeah, I don't have a huge problem with owning a gun per se, if it's for home defense or the shooting range. I'd prefer a society entirely without guns, but in the end, the only ones suffering from guns at home are the friends and relatives of the owner, who might get shot by accident. Any risk to a third party is minimal, as long as psych evaluations and stuff are mandatory.
However, concealed or open carrying in public? Fuck that. So much could go wrong.

On a sidenote, I'd say pistols might be more dangerous in a civilian setting than semi-automatic rifles, because they can be concealed. If I understand this correctly, the ARs are basically just hunting rifles in a military look, right? What's the big idea behind the ban?
If anything, handguns should be banned/restricted, not rifles.

zoukka

Yeah, I don't have a huge problem with owning a gun per se, if it's for home defense or the shooting range. I'd prefer a society entirely without guns, but in the end, the only ones suffering from guns at home are the friends and relatives of the owner, who might get shot by accident. Any risk to a third party is minimal, as long as psych evaluations and stuff are mandatory.
However, concealed or open carrying in public? Fuck that. So much could go wrong.

On a sidenote, I'd say pistols might be more dangerous in a civilian setting than semi-automatic rifles, because they can be concealed. If I understand this correctly, the ARs are basically just hunting rifles in a military look, right? What's the big idea behind the ban?
If anything, handguns should be banned/restricted, not rifles.

With rifles you can shoot from farther and more accurately so there's that.

massoluk

Banned
Something is wrong with you in the head if you can't see how after a period of hearing about mass shooting almost weekly, some people may not stomach it well seeing a dude carrying AR-15 in the god damn mall.

Sure, you can do it legally, but you think that is the right thing to do? Now?

With rifles you can shoot from farther and more accurately so there's that.
Well, didn't think about that.
Still, if open carry was banned, you'd see the guy coming. He'd have to A) unpack his rifle in front of people or B) come around the corner with the rifle already in his hands, and people will have an extra second to run away.
With a handgun, the assailant can pull it out last second and shoot right away. Handguns are pretty dangerous in their own right.

Banning any kind of carrying in public as well as handguns of any kind would probably be most effective. Home defense, hunting and shooting range crowds would still have their rifles (bolt action only) and shotguns, and if anyone wants to shoot pistol or full auto at the range I'm sure some kind of locker room where you have to leave your pistol, SMG, etc could be created.

Prez

Also keep in mind that suicide rates have already surpassed car deaths and most mass shootings are related to mental health problems. I don't see much of a change as long as the issues with mental health care are being ignored and I'm afraid they will be for a long time to come.

Grym

I honestly don't care if people do this...but for me it makes me even less likely to go to brick and mortar stores. I don't trust random strangers carrying around rifles in public. One more reason to avoid stores and use Amazon for me. Buh-bye department and big box stores. Nice knowin ya

But this thread is about this story. People were not alarmed as the police were not even called. I know gun laws vary by state same as stance on guns in public. I just hold a different view.
You also have to keep the location in mind. Utah? Sure. It's Utah. A place like California? Nah. Wouldn't happen.

I do love the part in the article where it says the guy wanted to show that gun owners were responsible. I'm pretty sure this will have the opposite effect. Anyone who is pro gun and thinks incidents like this help the situation might want to reexamine why they believe this.

ohNOitsRO

saw this on facebook and i'm all like "wtf" and then i realized society at large is stupid. critical thought is missing from most. most people just want to "have an opinion". i'm really wanting to find a group of people to live amongst that aren't all aggro on literally everything. sad.

This, six thousand times over.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
California had the highest number of murders from firearms last year.

http://m.guardiannews.com/news/datablog/2011/jan/10/gun-crime-us-state

All that this means to me is that it isn't the availability of or type of guns that are the reason for these high numbers of murder. Because California has a shit ton of laws and restrictions in regards to firearms. Shouldn't Texas be at the top? With all the guns and lack of restrictions on guns? In Texas people openly pack heat 24/7. My point is that guns are NOT the problem. What would restricting them do? The UK is SUPER tight on guns and STILL have a high gun murder rate in proportion to the population and availability of fire arms. People that want to shoot and murder other people WILL, and people who buy guns to enjoy them as a hobby will NOT. Everyone is barking up the wrong tree. It sure as shit isn't violence in video games and movies XD anyone that murders another human being because of a video game was disturbed and dangerously impressionable and as far as I'm concerned a ticking time bomb in the first place. It's all a scape goat so that no one faces the real issue. Which is clearly the sensationalism with which American media covers such horrific events. Anywhere else it is on the news but covered with as much zest as the construction of speed bumps. Not 24 hours a day for 5 days with speculation and trash.

The only thing that increased gun control will do is make it so the people who use them responsibly and carefully won't have them and the people murdering others who don't care WILL.

If someone wants to walk around with a gun JUST in case or they like to, far be it from me to stop them. People show off guns and enjoy them for the same reason people have flashy cars and jewelry, but there's not nearly as large a stigma for those people, that's society for you. I'm a lot more worried about someone hitting me with 4,000 pound vehicle than I am being shot, but car accidents don't draw NEARLY as large a crowd or controversy. Isn't that convenient?

People that don't like guns will bitch all day about them but I'll bet those same people have drivers licenses, but hey, why be objective when you can be a hypocrite? Where does the line get drawn? Will we outlaw alcohol(we all know how THAT went)? There are HUNDREDS of accidents involving alcohol every year, but wait most people like drinking a beer huh? And when it's done responsibly is fine, so why should responsible drinkers be punished? Why should responsible gun owners be punished? That's my point. At the end of the day if your opinions are in the minority you are gonna be shit out of luck. Rant over.

LOL, your Wikipedia citation didn't do anything but prove my point.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate

Look at the UK at .4 with very strict laws and then look at it's population of 60 million people. Then look at America in the 3's with a population of 300 million. Let's do a little math now.

300/60= 5 ------- 5 x .4= 2.0 <----- that being right under 3

SO basically as I said if UK had our population they would have a more significant murder by gun problem, and their laws are SUPER tight. Gun control is NOT the problem. More to the point, why single out gun carriers? Why not single out people that use knives too, because as we all know, people concealing knives are out to slit the throats of every man woman and child. And all people who drink, drive under the influence and beat their wives. The world isn't black and white. People are going to do what they are going to do, so then why restrict everything in fear of this instead of just enjoying life and not waiting for the next massacre. Make a big deal out of everything and look for trouble and I guarantee you'll find it. I'm starting to think people won't be happy until everyone is perfect with absolutely nothing dangerous or risky about their life style.
These two posts are fucking infuriating.

Do you want to amend anything about your "statistics?"

Edit: I see that you've already been called out regarding your aptitude for basic arithmetic and offered a "shucks I made a mistake!" in response to misunderstanding the concept of a ratio which completely undoes your original argument.

However, I haven't seen anyone address the couple of points that immediately jumped out at me in your first post.

-California had the highest number of murders by firearm last year. It's incredibly likely that it also had the highest number of murders total last year. Why? Because it has the highest number of people. By a pretty substantial margin. Do you have any idea how irrelevant this statistic is? If you go by total number of firearm-related deaths by country, the United States is consistently in the top 5 in the world. But this isn't a good statistic to use to make an argument, because countries have different populations. Granted it's pathetic that we, in 2007 for example, had more gun deaths total than the countries of the world that have higher populations than we do, but whatever, that's likely too nuanced for you at this point.

-What you should have said was, "Washington D.C. has some of the toughest Gun laws in the country, yet has the highest rate of gun homicide." Then you could have at least lead us into a meaningless chicken-egg discussion or a debate on the effectiveness of local/city-level statutes. But instead you went for California. Since you did that, now you have to sit there while I eviscerate your point with actual relevant statistics from the same source you used to try to make your point:

-In terms of gun homicide rate, DC is followed by Louisiana (10.16) and Mississippi.(7.46)

-While gun crime is down in the vast majority of states, it is up in Indiana, Arkansas, North Carolina, Louisiana and several of the smaller states

-Rate of aggravated assaults with a firearm, Tennessee (137.58) and South Carolina (127.88) come above Arkansas (100.56)

So now what do the numbers tell us?

I don't expect a response, so I leave you all with one more quote:
How about this: if any argument is reasonable we'll just say condescendingly "oh the [fill in blank argument]" :) that way no effort is required. Next time people talk about sharks and I say they actually aren't really especially fierce man eaters if we look at how much more likely it is that you are shot by a gun and we'll say "oh the GUN argument" LOL I love this.
I ran this through my translator:

"Stripped of any relevant statistics and unable to defend myself with critical thinking, I adopt a victim complex. Please never take me seriously on any topic."

Look at the UK at .4 with very strict laws and then look at it's population of 60 million people. Then look at America in the 3's with a population of 300 million. Let's do a little math now.

SO basically as I said if UK had our population they would have a more significant murder by gun problem, and their laws are SUPER tight. Gun control is NOT the problem. More to the point, why single out gun carriers? Why not single out people that use knives too, because as we all know, people concealing knives are out to slit the throats of every man woman and child. And all people who drink, drive under the influence and beat their wives. The world isn't black and white. People are going to do what they are going to do, so then why restrict everything in fear of this instead of just enjoying life and not waiting for the next massacre. Make a big deal out of everything and look for trouble and I guarantee you'll find it. I'm starting to think people won't be happy until everyone is perfect with absolutely nothing dangerous or risky about their life style.

Oh my god, wow.

So if U.K's is 0.04 and U.S is 3 thats 75x the gun fatalities. If so then woah

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Here it is in more plain English: If Utah is not safe enough for you, basically just stay out of America.. because it's about as safe as its gets.

I'm sure you didn't know this and just saw "scary laws" and decided it was a dangerous place, right?

mmm but how safe is it for an arab looking dude?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

...I....really? Really? This has got to be a troll, right?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
alphaNoid tended to rely on logical fallacies and deflection to further his points. This is the most egregious example of objective wrongness I've seen in my days here.

Missed this gem before:
If knives were outlawed people would likely strangle eachother in the streets.
Pack it up people, the entire notion of legally-defined crime is pointless.

Is this normal at all in America? people walking around with freaking assault rifles, are RPG's and shotgun ok?

And I don't even care if it's unloaded or not, if I ever see someone over here with a freaking AK-47 I'll proceed to panic and NOPE the fuck out of there...

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Because there's legally nothing wrong with it? It's a very different perspective on the 'outside', i've read a lot of the commentary on pro/anti guns and personally i'm against it.

There's nothing illegal about me standing in public places while staring and pointing at people, but people have every right to complain about it.

This whole "why not target knife owners as well?" argument is useless, unless you intend to start cutting boat knots with an assault rifle. I can't butter my bread with a pistol, either.

Is this normal at all in America? people walking around with freaking assault rifles, are RPG's and shotgun ok?

And I don't even care if it's unloaded or not, if I ever see someone over here with a freaking AK-47 I'll proceed to panic and NOPE the fuck out of there...

Only a few states allow open carry like that. And even in those states it's not all that common, but folks seem to be doing it more and more now out of protest or other such nonsense because of all the gun scare stuff going on now.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Ahh your Lakers that are hilariously going to miss the playoffs with 4 HOF players and already lost 4 in a row to the Jazz? :)

ahh they are not MY lakers. i'm a knicks fan who is displaced in socal for a year. i just need games to watch and the clippers aren't playing at home that weekend.

figures the year i move from NY to LA the lakers blow and the knicks look solid. woof.

CHEEZMO&#8482;;46646101 said:
Be pretty funny if some CC dude shot him.

My thought, as well. Maybe not "funny", but some degree of cosmic justice would be served.

Also, I wonder how his supporters would feel if he was black.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
I find comparing Car and gun related deaths dumb, maybe I am missing something here..

Cars, are not designed to kill people. they are designed to transport people, yes people crash in cars and people get hit by cars, but most of the time they arent really intentional..

You don't have Gun crash's

I cant imagine you accidentally pulling out a gun and shooting somebody and saying thats the same as a car crash

Another thing being you can jump out of the way of a car, you can't jump out of the way of a bullet really

A guns use is to harm, a cars is not

If you compared it to fatalities caused by other WEAPONS then I'd totally understand, but you're not

It's just fucking dumb
In my opinion

I find comparing Car and gun related deaths dumb, maybe I am missing something here..

Cars, are not designed to kill people. they are designed to transport people, yes people crash in cars and people get hit by cars, but most of the time they arent really intentional..

I cant imagine you accidentally pulling out a gun and shooting somebody and saying thats the same as a car crash

Another thing being you can jump out of the way of a car, you can't jump out of the way of a bullet really

If you compared it to fatalities caused by other WEAPONS then I'd totally understand, but you're not

It's just fucking dumb
In my opinion
A point I made on Facebook the earlier about this:

We acknowledge that cars can be very dangerous, yet we permit (and strictly regulate) their usage despite this given the benefits they provide, as without them our economy would come crashing to a halt. Like cars, we should require significant testing and bi-annual license renewal for gun ownership. We should require, to at least some degree, regular inspections to ensure guns are in proper working order and stored safely, much like the requirement for annual inspection stickers on cars. Require a background check and state approval EVERY time a gun is transferred from one owner to another. Place limits on when and how guns can be used. We can't drive over certain speeds on certain streets, and we can't drive in certain areas. Similarly disallow guns from being used in certain ways, like bringing them into a goddamn JC Penney like that fool earlier yesterday.

Though I'd be cool with forbidding ownership of most guns, ala Japan. If we ban cars, our economy goes in the shitter. If we ban guns... less people get shot, and that's about it.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
Another reason the car thing is fuckin dumb (should you not get why immediately) is that almost all vehicular deaths are a result of accidents and negligence.

MJLord

It's just fucking dumb
In my opinion

You could argue the same point for knives as well. Just to extend your point a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom