• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guy carries his ar-15 to go shopping at JC Penny

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanWinkle

I don't either, but it looks like it has magazines of varying capacities in order to cooperate with the differing state laws on maximum capacity.

I'm not sure that really matters though. The reload time on modern guns is pretty negligible, so carrying a gun that holds 20 bullets is not much different than carrying a gun that holds 5 along with 3 additional magazines.

True, but it would ensure you have that couple of crucial seconds that would takes to reload a handgun.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
How have I lost my grip on reality? I don't carry a gun myself but I don't get paranoid and freak out when I see others in public carrying guns. It's perfectly legal and ok.

it may be "perfectly legal" but it's not OK. i'd consider anyone who thinks carrying an ar-15 to jc penny is "OK" as mentally unsound.

This guy received no reports from the police so people obviously did not mind that much either.

no one called the cops because he was white. slap a turban on this guy and he'd be dead.

Which is what I think he was trying to point out. People were more concerned over his unloaded rifle when he has a loaded handgun on him. He carried the rifle in the store and left. Nothing happened what a surprise.

Something happened alright. He instilled at least fear and at most panic in other law abiding Citizens. Which is actually against the law.

I don't either, but it looks like it has magazines of varying capacities in order to cooperate with the differing state laws on maximum capacity.

I'm not sure that really matters though. The reload time on modern guns is pretty negligible, so carrying a gun that holds 20 bullets is not much different than carrying a gun that holds 5 along with 3 additional magazines.

Well, every time you change a clip the odds of a failure somewhere in the weapon increase statistically, if I'm not mistaken.

Cr0wn0

Don't worry, it's an extremely common mistake (unfortunately).

If you're interested in learning more about the history of the term "assault weapon" and what an "assault rifle" actually is:

http://www.assaultweapon.info/

You throw a high capacity magazine and a trigger system on a AR and it would match that sites definition. Saying most people could only get 60 rounds off a minute seems crazy to me. I shot a AK47 a few months ago and I could of easily doubled that amount if I had the capacity. I'm not trying to argue or start a fight I just think its odd.

I honestly fear for Obama's life if the weapon ban comes to fruition.

No Weapon Ban is coming to fruition. Even on the hail mary into the endzone chance that the "Assault Weapon" Ban is passed.. what determines legal and illegal with regards to Assault Weapons boils down to attachments.

pants

Japan really has the right idea about guns. This guy is cray :/

@Jest Chillin, what's up with the random word capitalisation mate?

prwxv3

He is also a piece of shit if he has a handgun. Again, this isn't the fucking wild west. How many minorities open carry a rifle like that? Oh wait NONE! Come on man, dont be so fucking daft. You're embarrassing us white folk.

Jesus Christ. I guess im a piece of shit too.

Something happened alright. He instilled at least fear and at most panic in other law abiding Citizens. Which is actually against the law.

Well, every time you change a clip the odds of a failure somewhere in the weapon increase statistically, if I'm not mistaken.

How did it instill panic? The gun was unloaded. People carry loaded weapons in plain sight in public all the time. No one panics. Nothing he did was against the law. Nothing.

Ponn

Banned
What the flipping fuck at people in this thread. “people shouldnt panic at a guy carrying a rifle in JC Penny, they are causing the problem”

Seriously, fuck that stupidity. Someone walking into a JC Penny with a rifle is a good fucking indicator to take cover and run the other way for my life. Those few seconds trying to assess if the guns loaded are the seconds it take to pull it out and start shooting.

“Oh I wonder if thats loaded and he is just trying to educa....oh shit im dead”

Guevara

Man what a fucked up world we live in that dudes (and always white dudes) feel the need to carry weapons in civilized society. What are you afraid of?

Link

The Autumn Wind
How did it instill panic? The gun was unloaded. People carry loaded weapons in plain sight in public all the time. No one panics. Nothing he did was against the law. Nothing.
What's the point of carrying a rifle (loaded or not) into a department store? What purpose does it serve?

Kite

ehh When I was in Iraq I didn't bat an eye when everyone was walking around with loaded weapons. Because we were in Iraq and getting mortared and rocket attacked every few days. If some dumbass walked around JBLM, WA with his assigned weapon I'd certainly flip my shit and call the MPs and the idiot's 1SG.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
People carry loaded weapons in plain sight in public all the time.
I'm gonna go with "that doesn't sound quite right."
ehh When I was in Iraq I didn't bat an eye when everyone was walking around with loaded weapons. Because we were in Iraq and getting mortared and rocket attacked every few days. If some dumbass walked around JBLM, WA with his assigned weapon I'd certainly flip my shit and call the MPs and the idiot's 1SG.
Hey, which branch did/do you serve with?

GavinGT

Banned
What's the point of carrying a rifle (loaded or not) into a department store? What purpose does it serve?

He's hoping to find someone crazier than himself who decides to shoot up the store. Then he'll be the hero who took him down.

What's the purpose of carrying a firearm at all? People want to be protected. This is not the case he brought the rifle in unloaded to prove a point. It's also very fortunate that scary unloaded gun didn't kill anyone too.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
I've got AWs but I would never do this. Legal or not it's not a smart move IMO.

Link

The Autumn Wind
What's the purpose of carrying a firearm at all? People want to be protected. This is not the case he brought the rifle in unloaded to prove a point. It's also very fortunate that scary unloaded gun didn't kill anyone too.
And that point is what? That he's an idiot that caused unnecessary panic? Mission accomplished.

What's with the "legal right" people? Simply because he's allowed to do it, means he should do it and be proud of it?

I'm legally allowed to be an absolute dick to everyone I meet. Doesn't mean I should do it and own it because it's my RIGHT.

People do not carry Rifles in plain sight in Public all the time. Seeing a Rifle in a context in which it doesn't belong will immediately make people panic.

Butchers use large knifes at their jobs all day. No one bats an eye. However if a man were to walk into a Department Store with a Cleaver at his waist, people would panic.

This is not a complex or confusing logical pattern.

People do not carry Rifles in plain sight in Public all the time. Seeing a Rifle in a context in which it doesn't belong will immediately make people panic.

Butchers use large knifes at their jobs all day. No one bats an eye. However if a man were to walk into a Department Store with a Cleaver at his waist, people would panic.

This is not a complex or confusing logical pattern.

The woman in the story said she wasn't alarmed when she saw the guy. It would be different if he had a handgun on him how?

Link

The Autumn Wind
What panic? Read the article.
I did. The guy carrying the rifle said no one was worried. He also said he contacted police even though this was stated in the article:

Local law enforcement authorities said they didn't receive any calls related to the incident or any notice from Kelley, Riverdale City Police Lieutenant James Ebert said.

So excuse me if I don't take the guy bringing a rifle into a JC Penney at his word.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Because there's legally nothing wrong with it? It's a very different perspective on the 'outside', i've read a lot of the commentary on pro/anti guns and personally i'm against it.

Do you really think this? sure it's 'within the law' but white dudes going to a mall with an automatic rifle in light of recent times is fucking dickhead behaviour. Also, it's fine to be brave on the internet, but you'd shit yourself if you were in a mall in America and you saw some douchebag white young dude holding deadly weapons.

the point is being an asshole. If there would be a legal allowance for you to have your cock out your pants and walk around, idiots would do that as well, then harp on about their 'legal rights' when most normal people called them mouth breathing losers.

just because some way outdated law exists, doesn't mean going shopping with huge ass gun in a department store is in anyway normal. it's just bullshit attention seeking.

Also: "It wasn't loaded" what in the fuck was the point of having it then?! He's not protecting himself from shit.

You really need to let go of the "it's unloaded" argument because he could easily produce a mag from his pocket within seconds. Being visibly Unloaded does not mean there is no possibility of danger.

GavinGT

Banned
I did. The guy carrying the rifle said no one was worried. He also said he contacted police even though this was stated in the article:

So excuse me if I don't take the guy bringing a rifle into a JC Penney at his word.

Congratulations on being one of three people in this thread to demonstrate that they know the correct spelling of "Penney".

Valnen

He is also a piece of shit if he has a handgun. Again, this isn't the fucking wild west. How many minorities open carry a rifle like that? Oh wait NONE! Come on man, dont be so fucking daft. You're embarrassing us white folk.

People are a piece of shit if they exercise their rights? That's fucking bullshit.

Kite

I don't blame civilians for not recognizing that the weapon was unloaded, why would they? I would, but who knows if the guy properly cleared his weapon and there is stilla round in there. At least with cops I know they should have gotten some training on handling the handgun they carry, but why would I trust some random stranger not in uniform to know wtf he is doing with the weapon he is carrying? I would keep my distance and probably call the cops.

And I don't know what world you live in where it is common for people to walk around with unloaded rifles, hell I'm grew up and currently live in Texas and I've never seen it.

The woman in the story said she wasn't alarmed when she saw the guy. It would be different if he had a handgun on him how?

So the author of the article has contacted everyone who witnessed the man with the rifle and has verified that no one was alarmed?

People get murdered in front of eye witnesses without a call to the Police everyday. Fear is a powerful motivator. I'm quite sure plenty of people saw him and chose to get the hell out of there and just be thankful they're alive.

You really need to let go of the "it's unloaded" argument because he could easily produce a mag from his pocket within seconds. Being visibly Unloaded does not mean there is no possibility of danger.

And like I said people carry LOADED weapons all the time in public. What is the difference?

And like I said people carry LOADED weapons all the time in public. What is the difference?

The difference is the perception as well as the status quo.

Walk around in Public naked and see if you don't cause a stir. You're not harrassing anyone and have no alterior motives. Just a Human in it's natural form right? Doesn't matter, you're going to jail.

Are we really going to continue with this back and forth where you play naive and I point out the logical fallacies?

Valnen

Aww...I was looking into how I could get my own AR-15 and apparently they're already banned in California. Disappointing.

Al-ibn Kermit

I wonder how this dude would feel if gay guys were constantly making out in public just to piss off anybody who might have a problem with it.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Both are completely legal. It being insane is just your opinion.

being legal doesn't matter much - people go to jail for decades over pot busts. the law isn't always right, stop repeating that like it validates your point.

i get that you like war video games or whatever but in the real world carrying around an ar-15 in a public place likes mall is unbelievably stupid and shows a high level irresponsiblity. the guy should have his guns taken away from him asap. i mean shit, no doubt there were kids in the store at the time.

The difference is the perception as well as the status quo.

Walk around in Public naked and see if you don't cause a stir. You're not harrassing anyone and have no alterior motives. Just a Human in it's natural form right? Doesn't matter, you're going to jail.

Are we really going to continue with this back and forth where you play naive and I point out the logical fallacies?

In my state if you carry a gun in public you are not going to jail and people don't care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom