• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guy Says Rude Thing to Person, Gets Fired From Destructoid, Says More Rude Things

Shurs

Good. But it would help to have more input on the development side for sure. Striving for 50/50 or more inclusiveness is all that's necessary. Then it's also easier to divide up the real critique from the unfair marginalization.

Is it possible that less women than men want to be involved in the process of creating games?

Good things the number of female producers is rising as well. Seriously this is a non-starter.

It whould be better if the number of good producers were rising, no mather their sex. Believing that having more male or female producers is something good because their sex is nonsense.

hauton

She really has nothing to do with a discussion of his actions. "She started it!" is not a proper defense for adults.
Why aren't her actions part of this discussion?

Her girlfriend is the one spearheading this call for Jim Sterling's job, obviously she supports her girlfriend's actions throughout. She made no mention of the hurtful things she said or did and her portrayal is entirely one-sided. Should her actions not be open to scrutiny?

All this argument amounts to is "oh she's wrong too, but we're talking about Jim so it doesn't matter"

My entire point was that we're letting her off the hook too easily. When we support her girlfriend calling for his job, and do nothing about what she said, we're not being equal. That's not how equality works.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
It whould be better if the number of good producers were rising, no mather their sex. Believing that having more male or female producers is something good because their sex is nonsense.

Kinda have to agree with that. For whatever reason, I'm more concerned with talent, regardless of gender,race, etc., than quota filling.

Is it possible that less women than men want to be involved in the process of creating games?

It could be possible but when you consider how negative the atmosphere is, like many male dominated industries, it's not really a question without a lot of "ifs."

hauton

Tell me where I said that or stop using strawmans to justify what were sexist remarks.
You said you don't care about personal feuds, but none of this was "just personal". She threw out things derogatory towards homosexuals, he threw out things derogatory towards males. My point is we should be actively enraged at both things. If you think that's some kind of strawman defence for misogyny, I really don't know what else to say.

DigitalOp

Banned
I don't get why people can't understand this.

Destructoid didn't want 2 million Felicia Day "fans" not going to Destructoid because of the comments of one writer. Its called Public Representation.

There were other ways to fix the issue. Destructoid decided to wipe themselves clean. Its not rocket science.

(Ive been lurkin on GAF for a while now, and I finally get approved to post my first reply in this shitty thread. Lol Shaking my head.....)

The easier it gets for people to make independent games, the more women are going to be entering the field, but that also means more people are going to start making indy games involving mature themes similar to the one that drove people batshit crazy in the Lara Croft thread. Just like the film industry. I can't wait to see boundaries get pushed more and more. That is if the entire industry hasn't imploded upon itself by then.

You said you don't care about personal feuds, but none of this was "just personal". She threw out things derogatory towards homosexuals, he threw out things derogatory towards males. My point is we should be actively enraged at both things. If you think that's some kind of strawman defence for misogyny, I really don't know what else to say.

It was a strawman because I never indicated I had no issue with her line of bullshit. My point, from the get go was that the language he was using was denigrating to every woman not just the one he happened to pick a fight with.

hauton

It was a strawman because I never indicated I had no issue with her line of bullshit either. My point, from the get go was that the language he was using was denigrating to every woman not just the one he happened to pick a fight with.
Except nobody indicates that until they're called out on it.

Nobody's holding her feet to the fire over what she did.

It's only when somebody points out the blatant double standard - how vocal people get over Jim's hateful remarks, compared to the silence over her hateful remarks - that people come out and say "Well I don't like what she said either!"

That was my entire point.

It was a strawman because I never indicated I had no issue with her line of bullshit. My point, from the get go was that the language he was using was denigrating to every woman not just the one he happened to pick a fight with.

He called her a feminazi. He didn't call my wife one. His attacks were aimed directly at her. Using your logic, her attacks were also directed at me.

If they were misandrist they were aimed at you, what's your point.

Thing is, they weren't. They were aimed at Jim Sterling, as he aimed his comments to her.
He even says: "You are an embarrassment to your gender and to feminazis 'sluts' (and humans)".
As in: Her as a person

The rest of their exchanges are offensive to each other. If you want to substitute her to every other person possible, any exchange of insults will be offensive to everyone. Because that's what an exchange of insults is.

Shurs

That's possible. Why do you think that is? Do you feel that games are an inherently masculine concept?

No. I don't feel that games are a masculine concept; nor do I think that a woman is somehow less equipped to handle the development of a game than a man would be.

I only brought up that question, because we live in a time when a person can create a game on their own, or with a tiny team and get it published on Apple's App Store, many different places on PC or with XBLIG. Women can finally escape the culture of games companies not taking them seriously or holding them back because of their gender, yet I don't see a flood of independent female developers.

That's not to say that there aren't many females doing great work in the industry at the moment, because there most certainly are. I'm just saying that it seems like there are more men making independent games than there are women.

Thing is, they weren't. They were aimed at Jim Sterling, as he aimed his comments to her.
He even says: "You are an embarrassment to your gender and to feminazis (and humans)".

The rest of their exchanges are offensive to each other. If you want to substitute her to every other person possible, any exchange of insults will be offensive to everyone. Because that's what an exchange of insults is.

A public display of insults that includes slurs is insulting to others who view. A professional should not use slurs or pejoratives regardless of how aggressive or insulting the target may be. It is not acceptable. I can't believe I am having this conversation.

A public display of insults that includes slurs is insulting to others who view. A professional should not use slurs or pejoratives regardless of how aggressive or insulting the target may be. It is not acceptable. I can't believe I am having this conversation.

And I can't believe the lines you're attempting to connect. You first claimed his attack was on all women, but now we're down to just the people that read it were the victims of his attack. I read it. I don't feel attacked by him or her. The fact remains that she attacked him, he attacked her, and neither of them attacked us. It's called having a stupid, infantile twitter slap fight. Attempting to turn that into she hates me, he hates you, is just wildly inaccurate.

chiablo

Destructoid:
If you work here, you can't think for yourself on your own time. We will fire you.
Unless you're Jim Sterling, because controversy = page hits.

Destructoid:
If you work here, you can't think for yourself on your own time. We will fire you.
Unless you're Jim Sterling, because controversy = page hits.

The guy they fired represents the Destructoid brand though. Whether he's at work or not. The same Twitter account he uses while at work is the one he used while he wasn't.

You have different standards of contextual participation then, that's all. And that's reasonable too.

I would never be insulted by two loudmouths if they do not refer to me. Even less so on twitter, where: I don't have to follow the users, I have the ability to close the window.
She emasculated him to the point of telling he can't even have sex if he pays. He calls her a vagina and an embarrassment to feminazi sluts. Who cares beyond those two dumbasses? Actual people that can't have sex even when paying, and self-categorized 'feminazi's (self-categorized as sluts or not :p).

Lmao at all this. Douche didn't need to go after fD. She has a webtv thing about gaming of sorts.. It's terrible but hey, why hate on her. She's not the hottest things around but she's a decent female gamer/nerd

Still idiot cost himself a gig. Lol

Peagles

It's as accessible as our phones. If they made it harder to use, fewer people would self-destruct.

Or maybe it's because people just send it like a regular text message, but they forget that their passive aggressive crap is going to be seen by everyone on the internets?

Meicyn

Gold Member
Or maybe it's because people just send it like a regular text message, but they forget that their passive aggressive crap is going to be seen by everyone on the internets?
That's what makes Twitter such an amazing contribution to society. I certainly don't need a cable TV subscription for reality TV. It doesn't get more real than a Twitter-fight followed by an inevitable argument over said Twitter-fight across internet forums!

After reading his other tweets, it's pretty clear he didn't forget. He likes the attention.

daycru

Not acceptable to who? You? He's still got the gig.

Gaborn

Not acceptable to who? You? He's still got the gig.

Destructoid has ended its relationship with Ryan Perez, effective immediately. We again apologize to @feliciaday and all others concerned.

So you didn't read the OP?

Edit: Oh, you're talking about Jim Sterling - I guess it will depend how much negative publicity he gets from it.

Oh they are coming; believe me they are coming.

I doubt that a number of YouTube video's or internet posts is going to empower anyone to storm the gates of anyplace, anywhere, anytime.

Besides, women are effectively withheld from every major position in this industry and the industry itself maintains a pro-masculine, anti-feminine discourse in the presumption of increasing sales. So that's not very likely to change overnight.

Do you all work at very low end jobs? I don't mean that to be mean; I'm just trying to imagine how you would come to this conclusion. I would be fired instantly if I said something like that to anyone in a situation that could be considered professional -- which in his case it can, as his entire job is to write things on the internet.

In the professional world of adults, people are expected to treat each other with civility and decorum.

Quite right, you would be fired for it. But your boss wouldn't. Your employer (CEO) wouldn't. In fact: a lot of people would not be fired for appearing unprofessional at all.
Politicians might an odd category to bring in to this line of reasoning (since they are not privately engaged in a one-on-one relation with their employer), but they make unprofessional asses of themselves all the time and what does this get them? Votes. More then anyone should consider healthy for the political discourse of any nation. Point here being that power doesn't obey the rules of reasonability, civility or even social etiquette. Things that you (and I, despite what you might think) would consider normal without question. It's a reasonable assumption that nobody had to explicitly train you into become a well-behaved professional. It is very likely that you already possessed the traits associated with professionalism before you ever went to college / university.

What you are talking about is unfortunately not professionalism as defined in several theories, the main one being Max Weber's views of the professional bureaucrat, who follows rules, threats people in an impersonal manner, and so on.

No, when someone who works at a fastfood or cleaning company is asked to be and/ or behave like a professional, we are not talking about a neatly defined category within a tight theoretical framework. Low skill workers are not professionals by definition, after all (professionals are high skill, high education, high responsibility and so on type workers). So what we are talking about is a term that has become disconnected from the context in which it was conceived, meaning that we are talking about a type of independent cultural discourse, one that has nothing to do with the labor market or the actual work floor practices.

Cutting to the chase: when we refer to professionalism in the general domain, we are talking about a specific discourse of worker disempowerment, that allows unreasonable demands to be made of workers, clients and people in general.

examples:
"behave or get fired"
"smile or be fired"
"do as I say or be fired"
"be dispassionate or get fired"

Despite the clear fact that none of these are reasonable requests at all. They don't refer to anything human at all. And they sure as hell do not respect your mental faculties or self-expression to disagree, negotiate or even ask questions, like "why?".

Because clearly, philosophy is a useless major. (it isn't, this is in fact the power discourse talking, where every problem is irrational and psychological, despite these being metaphysical positions, which refer to a very specific philosophy or even ideology in this case).
I'm pretty sure I'm almost quoting Michel Foucault here on some things, but oh well.

With all that mind, I do not feel that a fool who says something silly should be shut down for ideological reasons (which, by extension, even shows a degree of implied incapability by people to deal with such thing on their own. Which everyone should be able to do as an adult!), but rather to be allowed to be shut down by the invoked party by using their own ability to do so with relative ease and effectiveness.

Which is like, a cake walk in this case.
We might say something like "she was busy", but then the quote would have been pointed out by someone else and the author might have felt a need to withdraw it from the public eye anyway. The fact that this is not even made possible or even allowed for that matter, says more about how little power people are still expected to yield over their own (mental!) lives, than it says anything about the actual proposition or content.

with this as a basis, replies on the next post in bolded.

So why could he not say that in a civilized manner?

how would that be a problem for him? He's not the one being offended. It is not like he or anyone else can reverse time, so simply going for the "that offends someone!" line is not going to impress anyone. Stating that he is being offense for the sake of being so, is a different proposition.

The problem is not the facts as stated in the original post; the problem is the manner in which they are said. This is not complicated.

as far as I'm concerned, you're creating a problem with ideology where there is actually none. He should have thought longer about his choice of words, but once said they are no longer 'his'. We can state that he is out of line and should take his responsibility to either rephrase or withdraw his statement, but we can't state anything more than that within the limits or reason. Unless you really do have a time machine, of course

I do. This is, again, "Other people have been mean spirited and crude; I should be allowed to be as well!"

are you willing to imply that people should have an essential state for all of eternity? People should be allowed to learn from their mistakes, the way dynamic non-essential humans being do. Going for "that offends party X" is convincing neither to me nor the offending party. Not only is nothing learned, the capacity to learn anything is neatly removed from view.

This isn't about my standards or yours, or the 'professional' ones, which we happen to share. It is solely about his, and his worth as a thinking person that implies

That's not what adults do, particularly in professional situations. Adult professionals do not "call out for a confrontation" using "mean spirited" language -- using your own words. He's not a child anymore; he's an adult living in the professional, civilized world.

I'm really sorry to break your bubble, but that's what most people do and expect. watch any television show, commercial or movie and notice the sheer staggering amount of passive-aggressive responses. In fact: it's the only one people give to any situation.

Most work environments, despite claims of professionalism, will use similar 'inadult' methods of dealing with fellow employees, their subordinates, clients and potential competition. When you get down to it, all people are pigs, some pigs are just better at hiding it.

Again (going by your repeat): if it were up to me -or you- this would never happen to begin with. But we are not the world, nor are our ideas of how it should be reasonable expectation of how all people should actually be or come to this mode of being. If even possible, which I don't think is, ergo: learning by self-determination is required. People do not learn from oppression, they just learn to avoid punishment

This has strong suggestions of sexism.

You can 'bet your ass' that this would not have led to his removal if the offended party had been male, despite the clear offense being made. This is a different debate, but "rudeness" and passive aggressive ways of dealing with everything and everyone are deeply soaked with masculinity trough and trough. See: ANY video game. Which happens to the field of interest here. So yeah, the sexism is heavily implied regardless of the actual content / proposition .

There is probably a huge amount of spelling errors in there too, since I'm slightly -but apparently sufficiently- intoxicated at the time of this writing. Apologies in advance for any inconvenience that might have caused.

(professional enough? :p )

I doubt that a number of YouTube video's or internet posts is going to empower anyone to storm the gates of anyplace, anywhere, anytime.

Besides, women are effectively withheld from every major position in this industry and the industry itself maintains a pro-masculine, anti-feminine discourse in the presumption of increasing sales. So that's not very likely to change overnight.

You have no idea how feminists operate do you? They haven't marched/stormed gates since the 60s' and won't be marching whole scale anytime soon. Why march when they can lobby the State against you and your entity to have it either banned, retrofitted to their whims, censored or made affirmative action pits.

Gaborn

You have no idea how feminists operate do you? They haven't marched since the 60s' and won't be marching whole scale anytime soon. Why march when they can lobby the State against you and your entity to have it either banned, retrofitted to their whims, censored or made affirmative action pits.

The evil nefarious feminists.

The evil nefarious feminists.

The video-game industry has been in the political spheres before, in terms of violence and content numerous times. It isn't a logical leap, that if feminists were really serious, and targeted this industry as a cesspool of hostility, misogyny , oppression, rape support, disrespect and an abomination to human rights. They could and would lobby hard to get it torn down or altered. Listen to what I am telling you. They have achieved things that you thought were so outrageous before. Politicians want their votes, so they don't care how much of society they force to bend to their inclinations. Listen to what I'm telling you.

The video-game industry has been in the political spheres before, in terms of violence and content numerous times. It isn't a logical leap, that if feminists were really serious, and targeted this industry as a cesspool of hostility, misogyny , oppression, rape support, disrespect and an abomination to human rights. They could and would lobby hard to get it torn down or altered. Listen to what I am telling you. They have achieved things that you thought were so outrageous before. Politicians want their votes, so they don't care how much of society they force to bend to their inclinations. Listen to what I'm telling you.

PrinceOfParanoia.

Top Bottom