• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HADES 1.0 |OT| Get out of hell

Started playing last night. Damn, this game just feels like a flawless execution of the rogue like. Im not the biggest fan of the genre, but I'm loving this.

Everyone run has so many variables that each feels very different. I got to the minotaur and his "pal" on about my 6th.

MastAndo

Let me start by saying that, on principle, I dislike rogue-anything games. Even with that said, this game is something special. The gameplay loop and progression is so well done, it'll dig its hooks even in a person who doesn't care for the concept. I know other games in the genre make failed runs rewarding as well, but there's just something that makes this one so highly playable and addictive - it might be the stellar graphics, sound, combat, dialogue/characters, and so on and so forth.

I feel "off" today and despite getting to the Minotaur last night in one of my first few runs, I'm not getting anywhere close today - but what's great is that I can still make use of my time by making progress, by unlocking things and gaining darkness and keys and gems and such, so I've made my runs focus on that.

Really, this is a no brainer at $20 if you're at all interested in games like this - and it very well is likely worth a try even if you're not.

Eevee86

Is the Chiron Aspect for the bow broken? It says it sends some arrows at an enemy from the special attack after hitting it with a normal one, but doesn't seem to do anything after I unlocked it.
Edit: Nvm, realized you need to select it.

Last edited:
Poorly. First area is smooth, but the moment larger fights start to happen, so does the framedrops. (at least on handheld)

Which is a shame, because the game looks stunning and plays great.

EDIT: One more complaint ^^u. This game seems to not be designed for handheld because the text can get really small at some places.
I have only had time to play for a few hours but I haven't noticed slowdowns and I'm playing handheld. Did you get the patch update? That was said to fix a bunch of issues. I completely agree that the camera needs zoomed in or at least the UI so things are more readable though. I was talking to my friend about that today.

Last edited:

Poppyseed

I have only had time to play for a few hours but I haven't noticed slowdowns and I'm playing handheld. Did you get the patch update? That was said to fix a bunch of issues. I completely agree that the camera needs zoomed in or at least the UI so things are more readable though. I was talking to my friend about that today.

Yeah definitely a lot of frame-rate issues on Switch, both docked and handheld - mainly when there’s a lot of projectiles or a lot of action going on (several hours in). It’s my biggest complaint with the game. The frame-rate can literally half when there’s a lot of enemy projectiles on screen.

Ogbert

Yeah definitely a lot of frame-rate issues on Switch, both docked and handheld - mainly when there’s a lot of projectiles or a lot of action going on (several hours in). It’s my biggest complaint with the game. The frame-rate can literally half when there’s a lot of enemy projectiles on screen.

That’s a rather large exaggeration.

Ive already put about ten hours into the game on Switch. It dips here and there but it’s perfectly fine.

Good game. Played loads on PC. Gets a little samey but always fun to dip back in for a run.

Ogbert

Wondering if I should get it for pc or switch. Anyone tried both versions? Guess it's youtube reviews time

I have both. Played an enormous amount in PC.

Personally, I’d go Switch as I absolutely love playing in handheld. If that isn’t your thing, obviously PC is more stable.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I could swear I have it updated yes. Did you reach the second area?

Anyway, good news is I tried it on docked and it seems to run flawless. :)

Poppyseed

In which area? I tried the first two and it seemed to run smoothly.

It’s not so much area dependent so much as enemy dependent. The enemies that shoot the little butterflies or the purple orbs - get a few of those going and the frame rate completely tanks. It’s unfortunate because this of course changes the input latency for the game.

pr0cs

I backed this what seems like eons ago, just started playing it last night. Fantastic fucking game, but damn it's hard as hell. I've only made it to the first 3 bosses, always feels like an uphill battle where slowly the health disappears until there is no way to continue momentum.

I guess it's another case of "git gud".

Looks amazing on my 120hz 65" TV using my PC. I don't think I'd want to play it any other way.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
It’s not so much area dependent so much as enemy dependent. The enemies that shoot the little butterflies or the purple orbs - get a few of those going and the frame rate completely tanks. It’s unfortunate because this of course changes the input latency for the game.
Mmmh... will wait for a patch then. Thanks!

TintoConCasera

Still worth buying on Switch. Now.
Already have it! I meant wait to keep playing. :)

Which is gonna be hard because I was liking the game a lot. But hey, I have enough backlog to keep me entertained. ^^u

Poppyseed

Already have it! I meant wait to keep playing. :)

Which is gonna be hard because I was liking the game a lot. But hey, I have enough backlog to keep me entertained. ^^u

Ahh. No don’t wait then. :)

Game is fantastic - just a couple of places where I think the Switch isn’t powerful enough for the bullet hell.

MastAndo

I'm about 25 runs in and still haven't escaped, but I'm pretty confident I can at least make it to the end somewhat regularly. I think I may need to respec my mirror to add that last death defiance for 1000 darkness - it's a lot, but I don't see myself beating the final boss without that kind of help anytime soon.

I also put 6 titan blood into the Chaos Aspect on the shield after reading it was great, only to hear it's been nerfed in the 1.0 release. Ugh, I wish there was a way to respec that as well. Then again, I do still feel like it's the best weapon for me.

Haven't been this hooked on this kind of game in a while - one where you want to give it one more try before bed, only to realize hours have passed. It's so well-crafted with plenty of charm to keep it interesting even beyond the addictive gameplay loop.

TexMex

Anyone with experience on both Switch and PC have an opinion between the two? Identical? Significant cuts on the Switch port?

Sorry for the bump, today is the last day of the sale for this tho. Anyone here have any experience with both yet?

Edit: Neglected the last page of feedback. PC it is.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Picked this up on the Switch, put in a few hours.

Game is a lot of fun, much more like a Roguelike Bastion and less like Pyre (good thing, for me!). The combat feels really good and the temporary powerups are great. Being able to customize your character / weapons / loadout before each run while also encountering random upgrades along the way is actually pretty awesome. The voiceover work is exemplary and reminds me a lot of Bastion too, it's very dynamic and situational.

I finished the first boss and it was a really close call! The game has it's hooks in me now and has my brain saying "just one more round" every time I pick it up.

Jaruru

Got this game on Switch days ago. Loving it so far.
Not usually play this kind of game, stuck at 3rd world >.> need more grinding

DarkestHour

Banned
This is a really well done game. Haven't played too much due to time constraints but the time I've played I've really enjoyed it. The animation, settings, and gameplay are really great.

Mista

Banned
Been playing the game since early access and loving the shit out of it. Very beautiful game!

Supergiant nails it once again

Last edited:

Eevee86

Does anyone actually like using the sword? The fists are great, but I'm lucky if I can get past the Bone Hydra with that piece of junk.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Does it have rpg elements? I'm burnt out on those.... also how does it play with a controller?
Kinda...? After you die, you can spend the resources you gathered during your last run to do stuff like unlock new weapons or to upgrade your buffs like dealing additional damage or healing extra HP between encounters. This is how the game's progression system works.

McCheese

I love this game but I'm so shit at it, I hear people saying they cleared it on their 12th run or something, and I'm on my 50th run and still can't get past the third boss minotour and the other guy.

I also have no fucking clue what the interface on the left is trying to tell me, sometimes when I pick up an ability it adds an icon to the left-most column which makes sense, then when I upgrade it sometimes adds a rarity colour to it. But it doesn't seem to fill up the remaining slots in any sort of order, and I end up having only like 3 or 4 filled then another one will say something like "+12" on it, +12 what? If I have 12 more why not fill out those empty slots with them?

When I see people who post run-completion screenshots, they have every slot filled out almost, I have no idea what I'm going wrong, maybe I'm replacing skills or something, do I need to try to get one of each god, rather than picking the same god all the time and upgrading?

It feels like they rely a lot on people remembering what icons mean. I think I'm doomed to remain in hades forever

Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited:

jshackles

I love this game but I'm so shit at it, I hear people saying they cleared it on their 12th run or something, and I'm on my 50th run and still can't get past the third boss minotour and the other guy.
I'm right there with you man. I'm still pretty new at this game but I'll help where I can.

I also have no fucking clue what the interface on the left is trying to tell me, sometimes when I pick up an ability it adds an icon to the left-most column which makes sense, then when I upgrade it sometimes adds a rarity colour to it. But it doesn't seem to fill up the remaining slots in any sort of order, and I end up having only like 3 or 4 filled then another one will say something like "+12" on it, +12 what?
The icons on the far most left indicate upgrades to various fixed things. You can only have one active at a time. So there is a dedicated slot, for example, for dash abilities. Maybe you get a boon that makes your dash create a trap for monsters or something, it'll go in this slot. If you get another boon / upgrade option that fucks with your dash ability, it'll overwrite this because you can only have one active at a time. If that's the case, you'll see an icon on your upgrade screen, indicating it's gonna get replaced. I believe these are (from the top) Attack, special, dash attack, dash, and cast.

Directly below these is the icon for which trinket you have activated, and what rank it is.

The icons just to the right of that bar, these are temporary bonuses you have obtained. Temporary bonuses are things like you can buy from the shop that might say something like "get +5HP restored after each encounter" and will have a stipulation like "6 encounters" on it. This means that the upgrade is temporary and will only work for the next 6 encounters or "rooms". So if you have an icon and it says +12, that means you'll get that buff for the next 12 rooms you play through.

You're right though, this game relies a lot on you learning what the icons are and approximately what they do. Hope this at least helps sort things out a bit for you though!

GymWolf

Does anyone actually like using the sword? The fists are great, but I'm lucky if I can get past the Bone Hydra with that piece of junk.
just unlock the knight version of the sword, it't the most powerfull weapon in the game in terms of raw attack.

the other forms are good if you only use the special move, pump that with aprhodite for pure raw damage or ares for status effect or even poseidon to bash enemies in the walls, and choose the hammer boon who make the special attack 2 times and the one who enlarge the area, you basically spam that and kill everything without much nuance.

this is one of the rare games where every weapon is viable, in my 60 hours i thought a lot of times that some weapons were useless just to be disproved during a well thought or just very lucky run.

the hammer boons change a lot how you play the weapons, yesterday i had a run where the spear was basically an explosive laser beam...

Last edited:

GymWolf

I also have no fucking clue what the interface on the left is trying to tell me, sometimes when I pick up an ability it adds an icon to the left-most column which makes sense, then when I upgrade it sometimes adds a rarity colour to it. But it doesn't seem to fill up the remaining slots in any sort of order, and I end up having only like 3 or 4 filled then another one will say something like "+12" on it, +12 what? If I have 12 more why not fill out those empty slots with them?

When I see people who post run-completion screenshots, they have every slot filled out almost, I have no idea what I'm going wrong, maybe I'm replacing skills or something, do I need to try to get one of each god, rather than picking the same god all the time and upgrading?

It feels like they rely a lot on people remembering what icons mean. I think I'm doomed to remain in hades forever

strategy for third boss is fucking the bull first, he has a very simple attack pattern, when you finish with him you bail the spear launch from the blondie while staying between the columns, when he recover the spear he always does this weird walk where he basically pray you to attack his back, you do that and repeat until he dies.

you can see the interface by pressing select (the left button near the start), boons have different rarity, i make you a simple example:

common white poseidon boon+1 +30% on your attack
common white poseidon boon+2 +40% on your attack

rare blue poseidon boon+1 +40% on your attack
rare blue poseidon boon+2 +50% on your attack

etc. etc.

so basically the better the rarity (white, blue,purple,red,orange) the better is the moltiplicator of the boon, you are lucky when you get the first boon of a certain type with blue\purple colors, you are unlucky if you get the white one basically.

some things like the fruit lady in the lava zone can upgrade the rarity of your boons.

remember that the fruit boon means that you can upgrade the level of your gods boons (so +2, +3 etc.) while the gods boons add new skills or modificators, so if you want to regularly upgrade a specific skill like your attack or special, avoid to choose a lot of boons from different gods because you can only choose between 3 of your boons when you use a fruit boon to upgrade their level (sorry for the shitty english).
with the currency you get between runs you are gonna unlock stuff that let you change the boons before entering a room so you can try to avoid to disperse all of your skill point into a lot of different gods without a clear focus.

Last edited:

luffie

just unlock the knight version of the sword, it't the most powerfull weapon in the game in terms of raw attack.

the other forms are good if you only use the special move, pump that with aphodite for pure raw damage or ares for status effect or even poseidon to bash enemies in the walls, and choose the hammer boon who make the special attack 2 times and the one who enlarge the area, you basically spam that and kill everything without much nuance.

this is one of the rare games where every weapon is viable, in my 60 hours i thought a lot of times that some weapons were useless just to be disproved during a well thought or just very lucky run.

the hammer boons change a lot how you play the weapons, yesterday i had a run where the spear was basically an explosive laser beam...
Imo The sword is kinda too slow, the claw of gilgamesh is much faster and also does heavy attack. At regular speed, gilgamesh will stagger armored opponents with no chance of counter, while the Arthur sword does too, enemies can slip in attacks due to the slow speed.

Have you used the pact of punishment and select "bosses have extra new skills" option? They upgraded the bosses and you will need new strategies for them. That is another amazing addition for variety.

jshackles

McCheese McCheese I just realized that (on the Switch version at least) you can press the - "minus" button and it will bring up a way for you to scroll through these icons on the left and the game will explain what each one does.

jshackles

Yeah I really suck at this game, still haven't made it past the second boss and I'm on my 14th run.

TexMex

Went with the Steam version.

This is too good. My favorite Supergiant game already and will be on my top 10 for the year. Really great, glad I held off and waited for 1.0 to experience it all. Gonna be up late with this one.

GymWolf

Imo The sword is kinda too slow, the claw of gilgamesh is much faster and also does heavy attack. At regular speed, gilgamesh will stagger armored opponents with no chance of counter, while the Arthur sword does too, enemies can slip in attacks due to the slow speed.

Have you used the pact of punishment and select "bosses have extra new skills" option? They upgraded the bosses and you will need new strategies for them. That is another amazing addition for variety.
Yeah i used that thing that made bosses more hard to beat, the third boss is particularly cool with that upgrade.

Eevee86

Its basically just a list of all the buffs you've gotten on that run. You can click L I think to open it and look through them. Some boons have prerequisites, so its nice to see what you have.

MastAndo

A lot of it feels like luck. My two wins i got some crazy abilities for the weapons I was using and I just felt broken. Next run I was back having trouble.
There's some luck involved, but eventually you'll get some keepsakes that will allow you to choose which gods show up on a particular level, so you can shape your build a bit.

About 35 runs in, and I've escaped 3 times, all with the Chaos Shield. It took me about 30 tries to finally do it the first time. I've failed at the end boss about a dozen times, and feel kind of hopeless when I don't have the safety net of being able to just hold block and charge into a bull rush when there's an opening. I feel a bit "stuck" though as I want to try out other weapon aspects, but I've done heat 0 and heat 1 with all weapons to get that first titan blood from the Fury sisters. and have to complete those runs to get the last blood - having a hell of a time beating it without the Chaos Shield though.

It's an awesome game though, with a great sense of progress considering you're essentially doing the same thing over and over.

TexMex

It's an awesome game though, with a great sense of progress considering you're essentially doing the same thing over and over.

Agree. To me only Dead Cells has made me feel like I was always getting better and this has that vibe. Always dying but always making meaningful progress and always unlocking something new and interesting.

Top Bottom