• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Half-Minute Hero XBLA Preview, 800MSP, June 29 (Livestream Tomorrow)

Alex

Dont like the new art very much but this is a really, really good game. Everyone should give it a shot.

cj_iwakura

It's one of the best PSP games ever made. It's that good.

Anyone who likes the new style must not have seen the original in action.

Man, this is making not owning a 360 terrible. XBLA is just wrecking faces left and right.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Terrible, terrible new style. But the game is fantastic, sans the final quest (which I never beat now that I think about it). Pretty damn funny too!

I kind of wonder how it will translate to a console though...it really was the perfect "pick up for a few minutes" type of handheld game that made it great.

cj_iwakura said:
It's one of the best PSP games ever made. It's that good.

Man, this is making not owning a 360 terrible. XBLA is just wrecking faces left and right.

I'm a huge Arcade and 360 fan in general and have always maintained one could buy a 360 solely for the Arcade. So many great games.

ninj4junpei said:
A PSP to 360 port? *scratches head*
04YLu.jpg

Now on XBOX 360™

cj_iwakura

MrDanger88 said:
I'm a huge Arcade and 360 fan in general and have always maintained one could buy a 360 solely for the Arcade. So many great games.

Games like Wizardry were my high hope for the PSN, but SCEA is just not putting forth enough effort to get more exclusive gems.

And we HAVE to get HMH2. It's all Hero 30. No Dark Lord or Princess. Basically the best stuff.

I like both styles *shrug*.
Already played through the first game and chances of picking this up are high.

Hopefully I don't have to see the fucking credit sequence after every completed stage though.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Almost cried after seeing the first two screens posted.

Then the third one brought me back up.
Sold to help bring the sequel over. :(

mrgone

Scratch one game off "To buy for PSP" list, add one game to "To buy for 360" list. All is balanced, all is good.

I much prefer the retro pixel art to the new style; it fits better with the game design. I'm glad they included both. Of course, I already own the PSP version and don't own a 360, so I won't be getting this. But if you are in the opposite situation, you have to get this. Seriously innovative and lots of fun while paying homage to 8-bit RPGs. One of the best games of the past few years.

BiggNife

cj_iwakura said:
I like the old style a lot, but that doesn't automatically make the new style shit. I realize it loses the retro appeal but I still think it has a nice, clean look to it.

And jeez the game is going to include both styles so I don't know why people are complaining anyway. If you don't like one style, use the other! Everyone's happy!

mrgone

dallow_bg said:
So this is why PSP version sold so poorly. :(
Well, the PSP isn't exactly a sales powerhouse, unfortunately. And quirky XSeed games, as awesome as they may be, never sell all that well even on more popular platforms. I'm still pissed off about the whole RetroGame Challenge ordeal!

Also, I don't own a PSP (yet) :) But I do own all the Ys ports for it!

cj_iwakura said:
They still sell, just not crazy. If a PSP sells a few thousand in the states, it can break even.

Ask XSeed.
100000 copies. *the angriest face*

The new visuals look bad, so i'll be sticking with the classic pixel art. I wonder what proportion of the people who think it looks good also think emulator filters look bad.

Nice, I had kind of forgot about this game but the PSP version looked super fun. This might be my first XBLA purchase in a while (I still need to check out Might and Magic, too).

Vamphuntr

I NEED SCISSORS said:
The new visuals look bad, so i'll be sticking with the classic pixel art. I wonder what proportion of the people who think it looks good also think emulator filters look bad.

?

Not the same thing at all. This is an entirely new style and not simply a filter applied to the original game. I like pixel arts and I'm usually against filter but I like this new style.

mrgone

It might not have the same impact or appeal as the original art, but it's cute and whimsical in a way that I quite like and want to see more of.

Vamphuntr said:
?

Not the same thing at all. This is an entirely new style and not simply a filter applied to the original game. I like pixel arts and I'm usually against filter but I like this new style.

My point was that they both look equally bad. Of course I know it's not the same thing.

plc268

I mean, I liked HMH and all on the PSP, but a lot of the charm of the game was that I could play through 1 or 2 levels and put the PSP to sleep. HMH, taken in small chunks, is fantastic. But when I played much more than that, the game was wearing thin on me.

I can't exactly duplicate that experience on XBLA.

Although... I'll still probably buy it day one.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Really? So much hate for the new hand drawn art on a forum that seems to almost universally adore Adventure Time?

Mrbob

Wow, I didn't even know this game was coming to XBLA. I've been wanting to play this for a long time but didn't own a PSP. Going to pick this up day one.

Good to see more people will be able to play this soon. I loved the PSP version and I will probably get this version as well. I'm not exactly a fan of the new style but I'm glad they are making both styles available for people to switch between.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I am greatly impressed that they remade all the artwork in HD for a 10 dollar game. Really; I think the new style does a great job at looking like something of a kids fairy tale, or like a storybook reading off Reading Rainbow.

The original has a great bit of personality, and I do very much like it, but I always did find it funny that they used so many inconsistent pixel-sizes for the elements. That DOES give it it's own identity, but as others have mentioned, the new style looks more consistent.

Now, it still seems hard to decipher from what's been said; Is this REALLY the full PSP game, with all the different modes? (Hero, Princess, Dark Lord, etc)?

The official site blurb seems to suggest the game has 60+ "Entire RPGS" to go through (which would basically be the 62 stages mentioned), each with their own leaderboards.

http://www.mmv.co.jp/special/game/xbla/half-minute-hero/about_en.html

I wouldn't be too suprised if they gave you this original game here, and then maybe sold you the old modes + some new content back, if it ends up being a fully new experiences... Would be really fun if they made DLC that spoofed other modern RPGs, however. Imagine Fallout 30, Mass Effect 30, and Dragon Age 30 spoofs!

PJX

BiggNife said:
I like the old style a lot, but that doesn't automatically make the new style shit. I realize it loses the retro appeal but I still think it has a nice, clean look to it.

And jeez the game is going to include both styles so I don't know why people are complaining anyway. If you don't like one style, use the other! Everyone's happy!

It's Gaf being Gaf. Hyperbole is the motto here.

iconoclast said:

Lame

Larsen B

My one worry about this on the 360 is the control.

On the PSP, the d-pad allows pretty precise control, which is vitally important in some missions (especially Hero
).

It's a fantastic game though. At first, the Princess 30/Evil Lord 30 modes seem really weak in comparison to Hero 30 but I grew to love them almost as much.

Do Japanese XBLA devs have something against PSN?

Slightly offtopic but I heard it had sometimes something to do with their anti-gameshare stance.

Just strange a PSP series isn't going PSN too.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Kaijima said:
Really? So much hate for the new hand drawn art on a forum that seems to almost universally adore Adventure Time?
What does that have to do with anything? Lots of shows are hand-drawn, you're saying if we like one cartoon we're obligated to like every cartoon?

It looks mostly decent but there's just something that really irks me about the style of the faces. The characters' mouths look really weird placed way over on one side of their face like that.

The villagers in this screenshot look the best in the style; Coincidentally, most of the people in it have their mouth hidden and one has it actually centered on their face. Should have gone like Okami or the old FF sprites and had the human characters mostly just not have visible mouths or something, I think.

eXistor

Good thing the old style is also available, that gives no one an excuse to skip this gem. The new graphics make it look like a cheap flash animation newgrounds skit. It might look better in motion though.

Top Bottom