• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Half-Minute Hero XBLA Preview, 800MSP, June 29 (Livestream Tomorrow)

adelante

Shig said:
What does that have to do with anything? Lots of shows are hand-drawn, you're saying if we like one cartoon we're obligated to like every cartoon?

It looks mostly decent but there's just something that really irks me about the style of the faces. The characters' mouths look really weird placed way over on one side of their face like that.
LMAO...of all the things to nitpick about the artstyle, you try to bring in logic with that one aspect? hahah goodness me.

MS needs to STOP with these great XBLA games. I am running out of money (and I barely buy any boxed games atm... maybe just 2-3 this year).

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
adelante said:
LMAO...of all the things to nitpick about the artstyle, you try to bring in logic with that one aspect? hahah goodness me.
Yes? Devil's in the details, one consistent stylistic aspect that looks 'off' can hurt everything, and I think the style of the mouths are the weak link here.

mujun

jetsetfluken said:
Do Japanese XBLA devs have something against PSN?

Slightly offtopic but I heard it had sometimes something to do with their anti-gameshare stance.

Just strange a PSP series isn't going PSN too.

Let's talk about the PSN version in it's thread when it gets announced.

V_Ben

Banned
mujun said:
Let's talk about the PSN version in it's thread when it gets announced.

Why? It's still strange that a series that started on the PSP is getting an XBLA exclusive remake. Any way you slice it, that is WEIRD.

Slime

Banned
Would buy this game a thousand times over. It was such a joy to play. I have to recommend this to everyone. This version looks all kinds of awesome.

I still prefer the pixely goodness of the original but this is a pretty adorable take.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
jetsetfluken said:
Do Japanese XBLA devs have something against PSN?

Slightly offtopic but I heard it had sometimes something to do with their anti-gameshare stance.

Just strange a PSP series isn't going PSN too.
Microsoft just appears to be more progressive in pursuing these kinds of games for their service, end of story. Plus, the glorious Sony blocked some retro/2D games from being developed for the PlayStation® 3 early in its life (which is the exact reason why Cave has developed exclusively for the 360.. and the shmup developer and fan community followed). I am sure that stance is not as stringent now, but it's probably still there in some regard.

V_Ben said:
Why? It's still strange that a series that started on the PSP is getting an XBLA exclusive remake. Either way you slice it, that is WEIRD.
It's not strange.

Salsa

hmh02ekya.jpg

might just be the worst "boxart" ive seen this year

i mean crap, way to ruin a beautiful game

V_Ben

Banned
Princess Skittles said:
It's not strange.

If you had told me before this was announced that Half Minute Hero was getting an XBLA exclusive remake with a new visual style, I wouldn't have believed you. It sounds crazy, but here we are.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
backlot said:
Are those all the achievements? I notice there aren't any for Evil Lord 30 or Princess 30. Those other modes are still in the game, right?

From Siliconera: http://www.siliconera.com/2011/05/26/half-minute-hero-super-mega-neo-climaxs-new-look-for-xbox-360/

Half-Minute Hero: Super Mega Neo Climax only has Hero 30 mode where players have 30 seconds to save the world from destruction. While you can rewind time by paying the Time Goddess, Half-Minute Hero is designed as a lightning fast RPG. Monster fights, leveling up, and even dungeons take seconds to complete. The Xbox 360 game has an additional 62 missions and online multiplayer where it’s a race against other players to save the world.

Of course, the Gameplay preview states that THEY think the game is just a PSP port, but they also state that they don't know if the "60+ stages" mentiones on the site are for THIS game, or DLC!

...So most likely, this is a NEW Half-Min Hero, (Maybe with the PSP's Hero 30 as a collection of missions?) with scenarios made to bring the Hero 30 mode into it's own original, scoreboard-based thrill, for home consoles/online play. The fact tie has 4 player multi probably suggest that most of these maps are newly balanced around this potential, too.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
backlot said:
Are those all the achievements? I notice there aren't any for Evil Lord 30 or Princess 30. Those other modes are still in the game, right?
I.. don't think so. I remember reading that this and the Japan only PSP sequel (thanks XSEED!) will focus solely on the Hero 30 part.

shintoki said:
I adore the art style. It's really cute. I'll probably give the demo a try and see if I get it or not.
It's a cute artstyle but it feels cheaply implemented.. or rushed? Something on it is off.

Gameboy415

Nice!

I'm planning to pick up the PSP original soon. :)

It's odd that this isn't available on PS3 though....
Any word on if it's a timed exclusive??

Noogy

I came seriously close to buying a PSP last week thinking that this XBLA port had turned into vaporware. This is easily one of my most anticipated DD titles this year. I actually kind of like the new art style, but am glad that both options are in there.

bon

The new art style is pretty cute. I already played through the game with pixel graphics on the PSP, so I'm glad they're giving the option of a new look.

Princess Skittles said:
I.. don't think so. I remember reading that this and the Japan only PSP sequel (thanks XSEED!) will focus solely on the Hero 30 part.

Has XSEED already said that they won't localize the new one?

Silh

Guess it's time to see what the hubbub's all about. Would give me a good reason to dust off the 360, too.

It doesn't bother me much, but the new art style reminds me a bit of KH Mobile.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Kusagari said:
What from XSEED has sold enough for them to bring over the sequel? lol
KORG DS-10 is the only thing, I think.

The only reason the Ys and Legend of Heroes games are getting this special, rare treatment is because one of their localization editors is a psycho fan and I think spear-headed the entire deal. I wouldn't be surprised if the Trails in the Sky trilogy actually wipes them out of the industry (with all due apologies to TitS fans).

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Not feeling the new artstyle, but the game is one of the best games ever on PSP, so I'm really hyped regardless. PSP and XBLA are like all I need as far as gaming platforms go nowadays.

El Sloth

Banned
My (sexy red :{)PSP was stolen just a little before this game was released so I never got a chance to play it. Will definitely be picking this up at only 800 points.

mujun

V_Ben said:
Why? It's still strange that a series that started on the PSP is getting an XBLA exclusive remake. Any way you slice it, that is WEIRD.

I don't think it's weird, I think it's business.

Pretty much the same reason any game goes multiplatform after being exclusive or stays exclusive despite potential sales if multiplatform.

mujun said:
I don't think it's weird, I think it's business.

Pretty much the same reason any game goes multiplatform after being exclusive or stays exclusive despite potential sales if multiplatform.
It's not even the first time something like this has happened. See Exit, Exit 2, Gripshift, Lumines, Space Invaders Extreme, Every Extend Extra, etc.

Grinchy

Banned
After seeing a new slew of pictures, I'm joining the hater camp. This looks like shit compared to the regular pixel version. I just don't know if the original style would look as nice blown up on a big TV.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Overworld water looks like it'd make me sick (animation is crazy fast). But other than that, I like the new look a lot.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Lookit, on the menu screen for the Classic graphics, It listed Evil Lord 30 after the Hero Mode, with 3 or so other unlockables below it. Wish they'd show us to 100% confirm it's the same "style" as in the PSP games, not just remade Hero 30 with different characters or something.

BiggNife

Whoa, that's a pretty big change for Evil Lord 30. I'm totally okay with it since I thought EL30 was by far the weakest mode but it seems odd they wouldn't mention that in the announcement.

I really liked Princess 30 though, so I hope they keep that one the same.

TxdoHawk

Evil Lord 30 looks a lot more fun than what reviews made the original mode sound like.

Man though. So glad this is coming out on XBLA. Still need to eventually get a PSP again, but this is one more game I can cross off my list.

Edit: Also, this game pretty much looks done...I get the feeling there's a lot of titles sitting around in the XBLA queue waiting for release, otherwise this would be out much sooner.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
The ESRB rating from the beginning seemed to clearly state that the game was changes to H.30 style. And then we get the achievements, which make no mention of anything else other than H.30 style. Then we get screenshots that make no attempt to show the game has any other modes. And the press releases and official site make no mention of other modes.

Can't say I'm really bothered, though. The first info suggested as much, so I've expect it to come down to this. Still looks like a 100% lock when it comes out, to me. I like the fact it has 2 vastly different art styles... and that things like the armor and items visibly showing up on your character are kept consistent in both styles. It's really almost like 2 games in 1. (They even have different Menu screen U.I's and cinematic styles!)

Top Bottom