• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Half of Great Barrier Reef coral 'dead or dying' due to global warming & 93% bleached

Status
Not open for further replies.
And for every scientific piece of evidence there is corresponding evidence to refute it.
There simply isn't enough data for them to extrapolate that this issue in Australia is directly related to human effects.
But as usual someone will say it and the media and other sheep will run with it

Sound like a future post on /r/iamverysmart.

Bearjewpiter

Neo Member
oh boy, I would love to see the studies you are reading

climatedenierspapers.jpg.CROP.original-original.jpg

Well, if they're peer reviewed I'd say they're one of these 24. But then again someone who denies this much evidence probably doesn't want their information peer reviewed.

Edit to say I know these numbers are as of 2012 but from what I gather the trend continues

Jonm1010

Banned
And for every scientific piece of evidence there is corresponding evidence to refute it.
There simply isn't enough data for them to extrapolate that this issue in Australia is directly related to human effects.
So where is all this overwhelming evidence that says humans aren't a large driver in this bleaching and destruction?

If they can link it to climate change then we would already know we are the main cause...unless you are trying to argue climate change itself is in dispute?

Jonm1010

Banned
Saw a good one this morning
https://youtu.be/OwqIy8Ikv-c
Your strongest argument is quoting a far right politicians propaganda infrastructure as your arguments. I think we are done here.

Learn smarter kid. If this is how you develop your opinions and outlooks, by falling in line whenever a easily discernible propaganda mill feeds you misrepresentations for political aims, you are going to have a long and miserable life here getting smacked around for forming stupid opinions through intellectually bankrupt avenues.

OOO boy an actual climate change denier showing their face on GAF, making claims about making false claims and not backing up their claims of said false claims. Good times.

aeolist

Banned
OOO boy an actual climate change denier showing their face on GAF, making claims about making false claims and not backing up their claims of said false claims. Good times.

nah he's backing it up
with propaganda from extreme right-wing think tanks paid for by the energy industry

Protein

Banned
Nearly a 97 percent consensus on climate change and we still have idiots denying it. The Lead industry and tobacco industry scandal/fuckery didn't teach people shit. Conflict of interest runs deep in the fossil fuel industry. I mean, they've been caught forging letters to US Congress for fucks sake. STOP.

Oppo

in Cozumel this week to do some diving. this is the talk amongst the divers. they're worried that the reef here will be next.

Jonm1010

Banned
So you fit in with group three.. Ok
Sheep it is then
Yes I'm part of a intricate global conspiracy to push false science to fund my luxurious lifestyle by supporting the overwhelming scientific opinion and not respecting some corrupted idiot on a video shoveling shit into my mouth on YouTube trying to masquerade as an educational institute.

Either your trolling or willfully ignorant. I hope it's the former but the more you continue to post I'm starting to think its the latter.

clav

We keep damaging the planet, and it's going to bite us all in the ass in time. A shame.

No one cares.

You go to a new Android thread with people talking about buying another smartphone when they already bought one a few weeks ago or new PC thread with people talking about buying their annual graphics card upgrade.

You see threads about new consoles incoming or people complaining about cases/figurines. Get excited about more unrecyclable plastic.

People smoke and continue to eat tons of meat despite environmental concerns.

People dump meds/garbage down the sewers, and that affects the water quality over time.

People think their actions don't affect the present now, then the problem doesn't matter.

Jonm1010

Banned
you are the sheep my friend. We have based our opinions on overwhelming scientific evidence.
What's funny when deniers post things like this, which at their core are just an appeal to authority, is that all they are really showing is that they are incompetent information gathers and illogical decision makers.

If you are going to rely on authorities to form your opinion, choosing the side of the <3%(<1% if we go on peer reviewed literature) when there is a credible expert consensus on the level of evolution or the harms of smoking on the other side, it just makes that person look, well, ignorant.

hodgy100

What's funny when deniers post things like this, which at their core are just an appeal to authority, is that all they are really showing is that they are incompetent information gathers and illogical decision makers.

If you are going to rely on authorities to form your opinion, choosing the side of the <3%(<1% if we go on peer reviewed literature) when there is a credible expert consensus on the level of evolution or the harms of smoking on the other side, it just makes that person look, well, ignorant.

its the exact same logic that anti-vaxxers and any sort of conspiracy theorists use. You cant really fight it because it's completely illogical :/

Dr.Social

Banned

--- Signed Charles and David Koch

Lime

No one cares.

You go to a new Android thread with people talking about buying another smartphone when they already bought one a few weeks ago or new PC thread with people talking about buying their annual graphics card upgrade.

You see threads about new consoles incoming or people complaining about cases/figurines. Get excited about more unrecyclable plastic.

People dump meds/garbage down the sewers, and that affects the water quality over time.

People think their actions don't affect the present now, then the problem doesn't matter.

relevant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_K_79O21hk

Also, I'm genuinely curious how many responses this will bring: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1210258

Wolfe

I would advise you to educate yourself, for real.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks

This whole thread is an exercise in political correctness! It has nothing to do with global warming and everything to do with people dumping Clorox into the ocean as some sick fetish. "Down under" indeed, wouldn't you say?

Maxim726X

Surprisingly every recent thread I have seen at least one.

Sometimes extremely invested deniers TBH. Kinda crazy this is still a thing but not altogether that shocking.

Well, I've met people (irl) who believe that Sandy Hook was faked... So I guess anything is possible. People will believe anything.

No one cares.

New studies site vegetarianism is actually more harmful to the environment.

Sunster

No one cares.

5d4.gif

clav

New studies site vegetarianism is actually more harmful to the environment.

I said nothing about vegetarianism. Certain types of meat are easier to farm and easier on resources like chicken compared to cow. Yet people insist on cow being cheap.

I can believe organic labeled methods can possibly be inefficient farming. I'm not an organic produce buyer anyway.

Lime

That thread is going to sink and conveniently ignored.

Same with this one.

Most people don't care.

The question that will keep coming up: "So what are you going to do about it huh?"

Maybe the human nature is inherently incompatible with co-existence.

Toxi

Banned
Oh really

Substantial impacts on community structure have been observed in coral reefs during periods of warmer than normal sea temperatures. Poised near their upper thermal limits, coral reefs have undergone global mass bleaching events whenever sea temperatures have exceeded long-term summer averages by more than 1.0 [degrees]C for several weeks [41, 47]. Six periods of mass coral bleaching have occurred since 1979 and the incidence of mass coral bleaching is increasing in both frequency and intensity [41]. The most severe period occurred in 1998, in which an estimated 16% of the world's reef-building corals died [48]. The impact of thermal stress on reefs can be dramatic, with the almost total removal of corals in some instances [41, 49, 50, 51]. In some cases (usually smaller or shorter thermal anomalies), thin-tissued, branching acroporid and pocilloporid corals have bleached and/or died preferentially, leaving more massive species like Porites spp intact. In other cases, all coral species have been largely removed [51, 52]. Estimates of how ecosystem species richness and community structure have changed after bleaching events are generally unavailable, but such changes are suspected to be large.

It is really sad, but we'll get through it. The growing pains will be tough, and the world will look a lot different. Hopefully the end result will be a better way of life for whoever and whatever remains.

Jonm1010

Banned
That thread is going to sink and conveniently ignored.

Same with this one.

Most people don't care.

The question that will keep coming up: "So what are you going to do about it huh?"
What I am going to do individually is pretty much worthless.

I can go live in the forest and never amass a carbon footprint any bigger then a campfire and it won't change a thing.

That's the problem. This is why we have governments. Because this is a problem that requires international cooperation to be optimally effective. On a countrywide level it requires policy that will re-shape economies and re-organize incentives to pursue more viable and suistanable energy production and usage. I do what I can individually when it's possible, but I also know that deep down it is functionally meaningless unfortunately.

Toxi

Banned
It is really sad, but we'll get through it. The growing pains will be tough, and the world will look a lot different. Hopefully the end result will be a better way of life for whoever and whatever remains.
If we don't change our shit, we won't.

klonere

Banned
Where's the money in saving some dumb fish. Can't I just watch Finding Nemo or some documentary?

I'm failing to see the profit motive here.

So you fit in with group three.. Ok
Sheep it is then

It must make you feel smart to be the only one who sees the 'real truth'.

It would make you actually smart if you opened your mind to the possibility that global warming is real and just looked at the facts and data outside of the filter of whether you want it to be true or not.

A number of things scientists predicted would happen due to global warming have happened. The globe is factually warming. The last six months straight have all been hotter than any other month in the last 130 or so years.

Still people like you put their fingers in their ears and come out with insipid drivel like 'it's cold in my house so I don't believe it'.

And before you move the goal post to 'man made' global warming... I urge you to instead ask a different question. Since the globe is warming, *why ever that might be happening* shouldn't we try to do something about that when it's going to be disastrous for us if we leave it unchecked?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom