• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4: Review Thread

danwarb

You people are crazy, some guy points out legit criticism and you all grab the pitchforks and cry because he didn't give a the reviews score you believe it deserves.

This is why gaming journalism is so messed up, you people buy into gaming franchise brands so hard you feel personal offence, disgust and a fanatical need to defend a game to point you will make up lies and use misinformation and do everything to try and invalidate someone else's opinions.

The people that jump on the bandwagon are sad too, all you you do is post one word replies instead of pointing out why you think he is wrong.
There are lower scores. I think it was the suggestion that Halo should scrap its open levels and dynamic combat in favour of scripted CoD shooting gallery gameplay.

Monocle

My mistake.

My bad, but god forbid anyone get tired of the Halo formula and suggest some changes. CoD wasn't the best example to use, but it's not uncommon for journalist to do this. Surely Halo fans should've at least expected this to happen. There's always "that one review", that throws people off the edge.
Halo isn't the only FPS series out there. No need to fix what isn't broken to appeal to those who never really cared about Halo in the first place. If people don't like what Halo offers, you'd think after four mainline games released they would have figured out it's time to move on to something they enjoy more.

You people are crazy, some guy points out legit criticism and you all grab the pitchforks and cry because he didn't give a the reviews score you believe it deserves.

This is why gaming journalism is so messed up, you people buy into gaming franchise brands so hard you feel personal offence, disgust and a fanatical need to defend a game to point you will make up lies and use misinformation and do everything to try and invalidate someone else's opinions.

The people that jump on the bandwagon are sad too, all you you do is post one word replies instead of pointing out why you think he is wrong.

It was never about the score. It was about the specific content in his review. He basically said he wants Halo to be CoD.

We actually read what he said. Something you didn't bother doing here.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
fake? probably lol.

dwdDd.jpg

watership

Also, I'm pretty sure that's the old MS logo too. They changed it a few months ago.

new_microsoft_logo1.jpg

Although this is from a PR firm, so they may be using older logos.

TEH-CJ

Banned
You guys are crazy mang

anything less than a 9.5 and you guys go crazy. christ sakes.

my opinion is hardly relevant as im apprently a sony fanboy : rolleys eyes: but my 2cents anyway...

completed the game. it was the most linear on rails game next to moder warfare. AI was pathetic, and would just stand there out in the open ready to be killed, gone are the swift agile elites from CE and Reach.

death animations were medicore at best, blood effects looked low res and blocky. and gone are the epic battles from halo 3. I was literally playing the game thinking about work...I was never captivated at all...just going through the motions. atleast the game looked nice...

and the promethieuns are boring as hell to battle. and they dissolve into nothing when killed. even point blank shotgun blast up close...you would expect them to be blow back..but nope. same animation every time, they would just stand there and dissolve.

Halo 3 remains the best. by far. and its still an amazing campaign, sub hd and all.

watership

You guys are crazy mang

my opinion is hardly relevant as im apprently a sony fanboy : rolleys eyes: but my 2cents anyway...

completed the game. it was the most linear on rails game next to moder warfare. AI was pathetic, and would just stand there out in the open ready to be killed, gone are the swift agile elites from CE and Reach.

death animations were medicore at best, blood effects looked low res and blocky. and gone are the epic battles from halo 3. I was literally playing the game thinking about work...I was never captivated at all...just going through the motions. atleast the game looked nice...

and the promethieuns are boring as hell to battle. and they dissolve into nothing when killed. even point blank shotgun blast up close...you would expect them to be blow back..but nope. same animation every time, they would just stand there and dissolve.

Halo 3 remains the best. by far. and its still an amazing campaign, sub hd and all.

8WJmT.jpg

Proelite

You guys are crazy mang

Your score?

You guys are crazy mang

kanye-west-laugh.gif

lockload

You know halo4 is doing something right when ps3 fanboys start creating fake letters to justify it high score :), im pretty sure MS knew this game was going to review well its not liek this game is medal of honor

Unfourtunutely some reviewers prefer a certain style of game (presumably scripted and no replay value) one of the reasons i play halo is because even though you replay a level the encounters are different based on how you approach it

In some ways i guess COD style games have watered down what some expect from the enemy ie. if you die and reload the enemy is in exactly the same place to pick off next time

Its really all irrelevant though picking out one review if you dont like it as this is clearly a very good game and some will use their review to get coverage for the site/magazine by using controversy or influence from completing games

abadguy

Banned

Since when is "it needs to be more like COD " considered a valid criticism? (No one was even bitching about a reveiw score) In essence he implied that Halo sp should drop the sandbox gameplay, AI and open levels in favor of a COD style scripted shooting gallery, that is what people are taking issue with.

My mistake.

My bad, but god forbid anyone get tired of the Halo formula and suggest some changes. CoD wasn't the best example to use, but it's not uncommon for journalist to do this. Surely Halo fans should've at least expected this to happen. There's always "that one review", that throws people off the edge.

If someone doesnt want to play Halo, then they can just not play Halo. The game clearly has an audience that loves what it does so why should the developer change it just for the sake of change?

To be contrary to Mr. 5/10's opinion of empty and random, I found certain scenarios liberating and interestingly well managed. Its kind of a "Whoa, so I'm not confined to this... ooh whats that... can I do this? Yes" kind of feel.
That sounds pretty damn good to me. =)

Shaking_head.gif

you need an exorcist to get all of that COD out of you.
Eh, its not even that I want it, its just I think it could work and appease that crowd to a degree.

Uhhh, did you read what people were upset about? Not the score, but the subjective opinions that he passed off as facts.

fake? probably lol.

dwdDd.jpg

Fake fo sho

You guys are crazy mang

You tend to be on the exaggerated side to say the least, but I will say I noticed that the Elites look like they lost a few IQ points.. Still, the diving from side to side could be annoying also when playing over online co-op as the netcode made em a bitch to hit, so there is that I suppose.

How did you play the game anyways?

TheOddOne

This thread keeps on giving, drive-by complaining more about scores then the actual fans and then blame the fans for overreacting. Geez, the amount of bait.

4/5 Giant Bomb. I bet Gertsman reviewed it. Click. Yep.
A Gertsman 4/5 is a 5/5 for most people. Must be damn good. Cannot fuckin wait!

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
But he suggested dumb changes, and knocked the game for not implementing his dumb ideas. It's not that people don't want Halo to change, it's that people don't want dumb ideas.

I would give it only a 6/10 ;)

The game really needs more depth to compete with more advanced shooters you can play today like system shock. I really hope Halo 4 doesn't represent a general dumbing down of the genre.

At least this is what I think back to every time I see the whole COD v Halo arguments. The circle of life is alive and well and the Halo kiddies can now be brothers in arms against the tide.

Now get off my lawn and go play your damn video games.

TheOddOne

Regular people could barely even notice the sandbox changes in Reach, the game didn't even feel like a Halo game. Yet called it too same old same old. Which is laughable, changes for the sake of changes is stupid. Either build it on top of existing ideas or make a new franchise.

:lol

Halogaf may be a bunch of cynical, opinionated bastards, but I doubt we will see people digging on the game for sucking due to the lack of ADS and too many open environments. That EGM review is a bunch of BS since they pass subjective opinion along like its game design fact.
The EGM ADS quip is the kind of comment that would have been laughed off a Halo forum of yesteryear, of course we used to respond similarly when some kid would start a thread that advocated adding sprint...

Ultimately, Halo fans are biased, and even in their strong bias, still strongly disagree with each other. These reviews aren't from us, and they aren't for us. I also believe Halo fans have a very real and typical progress of going from loving the game to hating the game. Some are nostalgic about the previous games, some identify real flaws that become increasingly bothersome as time passes, but they all gush at the beginning, and all have something to be sour about at the end.

TheOddOne

The EGM ADS quip is the kind of comment that would have been laughed off a Halo forum of yesteryear, of course we used to respond similarly when some kid would start a thread that advocated adding sprint...

Ultimately, Halo fans are biased, and even in their strong bias, still strongly disagree with each other. These reviews aren't from us, and they aren't for us. I also believe Halo fans have a very real and typical progress of going from loving the game to hating the game. Some are nostalgic about the previous games, some identify real flaws that become increasingly bothersome as time passes, but they all gush at the beginning, and all have something to be sour about at the end.
Yes, this is all true. However with all its flaws, I still have fond memories of the games I am highly critical of. Even though I hated some aspects of the game, I still acknowledge that there is some good in it too. They often stick longer then games I have no real big complaints about, which tells me a lot about how much staying power those games had on me. I pretty much look at the Halo franchise from two perspective, first on other games on the market now and secondly games in the franchise itself. Reach was a so-so as a Halo game, but liked it more than the other games on the market.

Same goes for the Assassin’s Creed franchise. Loved Brotherhood, but a lot of the smaller stuff in that game annoyed me to death. Revelations was sub-par in game mechanics, but boy was the story amazing. Hugely critical of them, but still some fond memories.

triggaz

Banned
You guys are crazy mang

Unfucking believable The first two levels All that I've played is more open ended than any Cod has ever been.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
I don't really trust any of these reviews,I'll still buy it but I doubt it really warrants a perfect ten, can't think of many games that do

You guys are crazy mang

I disagree with every one of your points. im thoroughly enjoying the game so far and the new faction / weapons are really satisfying. the way they dissolve/explodes looks awesome.

It doesnt seem that linear or on rails to me, ive had quite a few open battles where i could choose multiple points of entry or even multiple vehicles to accomplish the task.

not sure what game you played.

GavinGT

Banned
Poor enemy AI is a legitimate criticism. There are rare moments when Elites don't seek cover, but just let you blast them with 2-3 sniper shots. Also, enemies can't fly banshees for shit. It's completely common at the end of a fight for one or more Banshees to be stuck flying into a corner, still being piloted but unable to move.

Friendly AI is sometimes just as bad, though. Warthogs in single player are often worthless, since the marines can't drive for shit and they won't make any effort to hop in your gunner seat unless you can pull up within 10 feet of them. This isn't always possible.

Still, TEH-CJ's complaints are terribly reductive and not altogether accurate. While the AI is occasionally bad, it's still as good as any other Halo game 95% of the time. Calling it "linear on rails" is just fucking bullshit. The level design is the same as it's always been - a string of open arenas separated by entrances and exits. It might feel less open because doors often close behind you, but that's just to prevent backtracking and player confusion. I have no idea from where he got his criticism of death animations and blood effects. The Promethian Knights are totally enjoyable to fight, and their death animations are explained very well within the fiction (as noted by Cortana shortly after seeing the first one die).

The campaign is a total blast. It's my favorite campaign since Halo. I've played it multiple times and my biggest criticism is that I just wish there was more of it.

Ken

would give it a 7.5.

A game that makes you think of work sounds like more like a 3 or 5 than a 7.5, unless your goal is to get everyone to buy it and then think of work while playing, increasing productivity of the workplace.

Majanew

Banned
You guys are crazy mang

You called yourself that.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Poor enemy AI is a legitimate criticism. There are rare moments when Elites don't seek cover, but just let you blast them with 2-3 sniper shots. Also, enemies can't fly banshees for shit. It's completely common at the end of a fight for one or more Banshees to be stuck flying into a corner, still being piloted but unable to move.

Friendly AI is sometimes just as bad, though. Warthogs in single player are often worthless, since the marines can't drive for shit and they won't make any effort to hop in your gunner seat unless you can pull up within 10 feet of them. This isn't always possible.

Still, TEH-CJ's complaints are terribly reductive and not altogether accurate. While the AI is occasionally bad, it's still as good as any other Halo game 95% of the time. Calling it "linear on rails" is just fucking bullshit. The level design is the same as it's always been - a string of open arenas separated by entrances and exits. It might feel less open because doors often close behind you, but that's just to prevent backtracking and player confusion. I have no idea from where he got his criticism of death animations and blood effects. The Promethian Knights are totally enjoyable to fight, and their death animations are explained very well within the fiction (as noted by Cortana shortly after seeing the first one die).

The campaign is a total blast. It's my favorite campaign since Halo. I've played it multiple times and my biggest criticism is that I just wish there was more of it.

How can it be as good as the other halo's if the AI is bad? the reason why halo is so poular is due to the smart AI and open ended nature of the battles.

there is nothing even comparable to tsavo highway battle in halo 3...not even close to it. man I counted atleast 3 warthogs, 5 brute choppers, 3 wraiths and some ghosts in that battle alone, and the awesome scarab battle that follows after it. crazy epic.

so if you take away the AI in halo, and a game that is far more on rails, without the epic battles of previous halo's what do you get? something undwerwhelming.

everyone has opinions, you enjoyed and that is great. I thought it was slightly better experience than resistance 3.

Top Bottom