• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 Wish List

JonCha

12 v 12

New engine

Forge that has a colour palette, because having maps that are all grey suck

No armour abilities, unless they playlist-specific. Either way, don't bring armour lock back

Darker storyline.

Striker

TacticalFox88 said:
Can we get a good campaign at least? Every campaign since 3 has been god awful.
I thought ODST and Reach's campaign were more enjoyable than 3, whatevs.

For Halo 4: good freakin' maps. That's all.

Orayn

+1 for >16 people in multiplayer. 60FPS would be nice, but I won't dwell on it.

Im_So_Pringles said:
If Halo 4 were basically a mash up of Metroid Prime and Halo 3, my life would be so fucking complete. The story telling and exploration/atmosphere of Metroid Prime mixed with the gameplay of Halo would be utterly fantastic.

In fact, that would be too good to be true. Oh well, maybe within the next lifetime :/
ODST sort of hinted at what Halo would be like in dense environments with more exploration, but if you added more collectibles and optional routes, as well as improved platforming... It would be incredible.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
I really enjoyed the overworld in ODST, I would like them to expand on that idea.

theb0xmIke

Neo Member
Striker said:
I thought ODST and Reach's campaign were more enjoyable than 3, whatevs.

For Halo 4: good freakin' maps. That's all.
Yeah id agree

Halo 3s SP was terrible in comparison to Reach and ODST

XAL

inb4 TLDR

Dream Plot: (which is sure to eventually devolve into derivative garbage by the end of this post)

Prologue:
Following the events of Halo 3 the Humans and Covenant create joint task force/coalition assigned with tracking down and annihilating all traces of the flood throughout the galaxy. The massive war fleet, whose ships are the product of human, covenant, and forerunner engineering set out to destroy all shield worlds and Halos completely - not risking going to ground and setting the flood loose.

The fleet most notably contains Buck's ODST squad, Admiral Hood, CPO Mendez, veteran Spartan 1's, surviving Spartan II's and III's, the Arbiter, Half-Jaw, and other elite and senior personnel. The fleet's first task is to investigate the cause of a massive supernova in deep space that they believe was a destroyed Shield World.

While heading to the destroyed Shield world, they pick up a distress signal from the UNSC Spirit of Fire - which, after the events of Halo Wars was drifting in space without a slipspace drive (and until this point thought destroyed and all hands lost to the UNSC).

Captain Cutter, Professor Anders, and remaining Spartans are still alive on board - they strip the ship of its leftover supplies and armaments and join the fleet. While they were drifting in space they managed to detect a faint and fragmented transmission - most of the message was too garbled to be reconstructed, barely managing to obtain partial coordinates for what they believe to be a Shield World bigger than the one they destroyed during the events of Halo Wars. They hand the data over to the fleet to be analyzed by the dozens of AI present on the fleet. They manage to reconstruct most of the message and find the coordinates to the massive Shield World/Forerunner colony world as well as a distress call sent by Cortana saying that the Chief is alive and they need rescue. The fleet then head off to find Cortana and the Chief.

The following could span the whole trilogy, probably into the next console generation:

Act 1:

MC and Cortana enter the shield world and crash land. They exit the wreckage and find themselves in the dyson sphere, a vast world built by the forerunners as their escape from the flood. They explore and investigate the planet, slowly learning that this installation is the dyson hub that connects all Shield Worlds to each other - all while fighting ancient-proto sentinels charged with protecting the central mainframe that runs the entire network of shield worlds.

All along the way Cortana deteriorates further and further, refusing to be transferred to the Forerunner network fearing that she will go completely rampant and lose her sanity. As they uncover more and more of the secrets of the Forerunner, they eventually reach the central hub for the Shield World. T he Chief, with direction from Cortana, gains access to the mainframe with his ancestral DNA and finds out that Dr. Halsey and the remaining survivors from the battle of Onyx made it into their dyson sphere and have sent a distress signal. Chief makes contact with the Onyx survivors and open a gateway, allowing them to enter the mainframe of the hub. Once they get there, something goes horribly wrong and all of the gateways to the other shield worlds open up. The network detects that the flood was released, a Shield World and a Halo destroyed, the Ark activated, and Earth contaminated with the flood. The AI running the hub believes the network to be in peril and activates radical extermination protocols and sets the entire network of Shield Worlds for destruction and remaining Halos activated.

Dr. Halsey believes that the only way to stop this from happening is to insert Cortana in the mainframe, as she possesses the most knowledge of forerunner systems and despite her deteriorating condition - is the only shot they have to destroy the forerunner AI and stop the annihilation of the known universe. After Cortana enters the system she reconstructs and repairs herself by tapping into a small portion of the infinite computing power on the forerunner network. She disarms the forerunner AI and absorbs it - thereby stopping the countdown and gaining control of the network. The celebration is short lived when Cortana suddenly snaps, the near infinite knowledge and processing power she has gained throws her into fullblown rampancy. Largely incoherent and muttering about things that the humans cannot comprehend, she slowly regains normal speech. In a cold voice she proclaims that she is God and knows the secret to immortality. She then states that the humans cannot inherit their legacy from the Forerunner because she has claimed it for herself and that she will not let them interfere with her plans. And with that she teleports the Onyx survivors and the Chief to opposite ends of the dyson hub - but takes Dr. Halsey prisoner, as she is integral to Cortana's plan for immortality. After the credits the rescue fleet arrives in orbit to find the world hostile.

Act 2:

Cortana reveals to the player that the first sentient race of beings in the universe created a race of machines in their image. This race of machines destroyed their masters and after millennia were left derelict. After the forerunners evolved they discovered these machines and created their own highly advanced technology, yet knowing through records the fate of their ancestors - they sought to place strict controls on AI and machinery - and refused to fuse man and machine together for fear of what they might become. Instead they use this technology to further enhance their own physiology to reach the peak of biological evolution. In this quest to reach godhood, one group who views that biology is the superior create the flood while another seek to augment themselves heavily with machine technology from the ancient machine race - who they viewed as the most dominant lifeforms in the universe. However before the latter group could achieve their goal, the flood were set loose by a rampant AI and ...the rest is history.

Cortana discovers the project files from the failed proto-machine/forerunner project and in the heart of the dyson hub finds preserved samples of the proto-machine race, flood, and intact cryo'd forerunner specimens. She retrieves them all and begins to create her own twisted army of machine/flood/forerunner beings as prototypes for the indestructible and immortal form she will inhabit. The player progresses through the game as Chief (lone rambo-style FPS gameplay), a TBD Spartan II and/or III from Onyx (3rd person tactical squad-based combat), and the fleet (space dogfighting and RTS battles) fight Cortana on 3 fronts and seek to rescue Dr. Halsey and prevent the destruction of all life in the universe. [though knowing Microsoft they may try and split this into 3 games released in somewhat parallel in the 360's lifetime that together make Halo 5...or something]

Aaaaand I'm too tired to think about what happens beyond that @_@lk asjghflkjagfkjlsagflkhjsagflkjhsagfljhsagfljkhsagflkhsagflkhjsagfjkhasgfjhasgfljhasgfljkhsgaf too much bulls***

Develop the Theater mode goddamit. It's such a genius mode that needs more love. Give me different lenses, different locked tracking speeds and the ability to save the shit as a compatible file type that I can just go edit the thing.

Hitmonchan107 said:
4530017760_40bb6826fc_z.jpg

Acheron

Banned
1. No Covenant, Flood or returning side characters, Chief is on the other side of the galaxy like 500 years later.

2. Released on NextBox

3. Some more varied levels like Reach's space combat.

Orayn

Mojo said:
16 non-campaign maps on disc

Hire the Halo 2 map designer

No Forge maps in regular matchmaking ever
Why don't they just expand the capabilities of Forge to the point where there's barely any difference? I'd be cool with that.

Hmmm...

-better graphics
-perhaps some type of new experience, while not deviating too far from established Halo gameplay (the ever present developers problem, of course)
-A better, more streamlined story (I stopped being able to keep up with Halo's ultra convoluted story ages ago)
-Wouldn't mind going back to a brighter more colorful look again, as opposed to Reach's muted colors

I want a feeling similar to the beginning of Halo CE; You and Cortana exploring a massive environment.

I don't want other Spartans, Marines or Covenant. New enemies and allies all the way.

Kujo

Orayn said:
Why don't they just expand the capabilities of Forge to the point where there's barely any difference? I'd be cool with that.
It's not going to happen as long as they have DLC to sell.

teraMEL0S

I know asking for better graphics and 60 fps on a 360 is not going to happen. But for the love of Neogaf, I want the future Halo titles that premiere on the nextbox to have ridiculous customization in forge world. Livery Editor style texturing on level objects. 60 fps would be bizarre to see in Halo, but oh so welcome. And yeah, go crazy with new stuff.

wwm0nkey

-I want the mysterious feel of Halo 1
-Go more into the lore of the Halo universe and touch on some events in the books
-Open world (like ODST or Metroid Prime kind of open, not GTA open)
-Have the new Forge be a map maker like Far Cry 2's editor.
-Kill times of Halo 2
-Speed of Halo 2
-Maps as good as Halo 2

akira28

Customs Search or heck, multi server search for all of multiplayer. A better flyer for the UNS. And a damn ATV with a gun. OR a turbo boost for major air+splattering, and death from above.

wwm0nkey

akira28 said:
Customs Search or heck, multi server search for all of multiplayer. A better flyer for the UNS. And a damn ATV with a gun. OR a turbo boost for major air+splattering, and death from above.
A server browser was in the works for Halo 3 custom games but it was later scrapped because they felt more people would be in customs rather than MM

Truant

I just want a Halo game that actually takes advantage of the pretty cool universe they have created. The games just make it look so silly and superficial. Elite design from Halo Wars CGI is a perfect example of just how cool Halo can look.

wwm0nkey

Truant said:
I just want a Halo game that actually takes advantage of the pretty cool universe they have created. The games just make it look so silly and superficial. Elite design from Halo Wars CGI is a perfect example of just how cool Halo can look.
Bungie mostly ignored the books going into their games, 343i seems to acknowledge they have this massive universe so I am sure they are going to take advantage of the universe.

Speaking of Halo Wars that games story felt as close to the books as possible in story and feel and it was amazing.

stephen08

Greater customization options for the multiplayer experience. Some core areas where this could be expanded upon:
- The ability to modify specific weapon traits damage, firing rate, clip size, etc.
- Some method of customizing Campaign/Firefight. Perhaps a scenario editor?
As for singleplayer, I want to see a whole new enemy. Inevitably the Covenant and/or Flood will make an appearance but a new threat would definitely bring a new element to the series.

Most importantly though I just hope it lives up to the legacy. Bungie set an incredible benchmark for the series and 343 has their work cut out for them. They need to simultaneously match these high standards and also cut loose from what's established and make Halo 4 their own.

Bungie took many risks with the Halo franchise. Some of it paid off, some did not but it always kept the series fresh. 343 will have to do the same.

FyreWulff

akira28 said:

Not sure how customs searching would work under Megalo. The engine is not actually aware of which gametype you are playing anymore.

Untracked

Recruit Jaime Griesemer to give the Warthog some weight again, so I can throw it into turns like a pro, without it floating upside-down.

No Fall Damage.
Delete Armor-Abilities from existence.
Bring back single use Equipment, the BR/Carbine and maybe even H3Beta Trip Mines, just for the lolz.

Halo 4 needs variety in it's multiplayer maps, I can't play every other game on Forge World again, but I have huge faith in 343 after seeing the incredible looking version of Headlong in Anniversary.

Also, I'd really like a playlist in Halo 4 that allows join in progress, like cod, to stop players being left alone when their cry-baby team-mates rage quit.

wwm0nkey

Untracked said:
Recruit Jaime Griesemer to give the Warthog some weight again, so I can throw it into turns like a pro, without it floating upside-down.

No Fall Damage.
Delete Armor-Abilities from existence.
Bring back single use Equipment, the BR/Carbine and maybe even H3Beta Trip Mines, just for the lolz.

Halo 4 needs variety in it's multiplayer maps, I can't play every other game on Forge World again, but I have huge faith in 343 after seeing the incredible looking version of Headlong in Anniversary.

Also, I'd really like a playlist in Halo 4 that allows join in progress, like cod, to stop players being left alone when their cry-baby team-mates rage quit.
Simple solution for this, separate ranked and social. Ranked games can not be joined in progress but social games can.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Just get rid of the jaggies (I would love to have true 720p with a proper AA implementation that doesn't have some ghosting bullcrap), and make the shotgun as satisfying as the H3 shotgun was.

Make sprint to be default.

godhandiscen said:
Just get rid of the jaggies (I would love to have true 720p with a proper AA implementation that doesn't have some ghosting bullcrap), and make the shotgun as satisfying as the H3 shotgun was.
H3 shotgun was pretty terrible. Both Reach and CE shotguns are better weapons and more fun to use.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
DeathIsTheEnd said:
H3 shotgun was pretty terrible. Both Reach and CE shotguns are better weapons and more fun to use.
What? No. The Reach shotgun though effective, feels whack. When you kill someone with it the dead body enters a canned animation that doesn't reflect the direction of the force of the shot like in H3. It's just not fun to see enemies suddenly being throw to the left or right when you shot them towards a completely different direction.

wwm0nkey

godhandiscen said:

Make sprint to be default.
Dear god no!

just put the movement speed to something like Halo 2 where its easy to get out of the map and get out of trouble. Sprint is not needed at all.

Take the story in a new direction. No more goddamn Flood. Have an enemy that's interesting to fight, but don't rehash anything from the old games: this is a new trilogy, it requires something new.

Give us big maps to explore, with a lot of bonus objectives to complete, should we so desire. Don't funnel us through a tunnel for the entire game. For instance: if we have to assault a base, give us the chance to destroy its communications or supplies before heading in there.

That said, I'd prefer the way the game handles to feel more similar to Halo 3 than to Reach. I don't want them to copy/paste Halo 3's gameplay, but if they're looking at past Halo titles, look at that one for the gameplay and Halo 2 for the story.

Ditch the equipment and try to either come up with an exciting new feature or just drop the gimmicks altogether. Bloom, of course, is a gimmick, so ditch that shit.

Improve on Forge Mode. What they had in Reach was good, but the maps you could use it on were severely lacking. Everyone gets tired of the same Forerunner pattern on every goddamn Forge Map.

Include Theater mode, just like it was in Reach. Work a bit on the screenshot uploading, though.

Firefight obviously has to make its glorious return, possibly with an "objective-based" counterpart. Instead of hunkering down and defending one location, put players at the start of a map and have them fight to the end, racking up as many points/multipliers as they can before time runs out.

Good multiplayer maps are a neccesity. Reach had some good ones, but overall, is severely lacking in that department. Oh, and if possible, try to come up with a decent Player Investment system for once. If I had my way, we'd have no credit bullshit, no number next to your name to show your 1337-ness.

Give players social and ranked playlists. In the social playlists, don't use a ranking system: everyone is equal (though not in skill, TrueSkill would actually have to work behind the scenes here). The ranked playlists, of course, are competitive. Players can get a number beside their name there, for all I care.

Either tie armor unlocks and all that to achievements again, or make them discoverable in the singleplayer campaign. Ditch multiplayer achievements, preferably by tossing them in a pit and setting them on fire.

wwm0nkey

Blue Ninja said:
Take the story in a new direction. No more goddamn Flood. Have an enemy that's interesting to fight, but don't rehash anything from the old games: this is a new trilogy, it requires something new.
Here is a glimpse of the Halo 4 enemy taken from a bunch of stills from the concept art trailer.

ancientenemy.jpg

Doomskull

Neo Member
I don't understand the calls for better graphics.

This implies the graphics in Halo are bad. They're not; Reach in particular was stunning.

wwm0nkey said:
Here is a glimpse of the Halo 4 enemy taken from a bunch of stills from the concept art trailer.

http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/4011/ancientenemy.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
My money's still on that that thing being either a [spoiler]Precursor, or some kind of Precursor machine[/spoiler]. :lol

But we can't really know for sure it's an enemy, though. At this point, we know nothing. That thing could be a Forerunner ice-cream vendor for all we know, who helps us fight the Flood. *shudder*

[QUOTE=Doomskull]I don't understand the calls for better graphics.

This implies the graphics in Halo are bad. They're not; [B]Reach in particular was stunning.[/B][/QUOTE]
Yup. It may not have had the fanciest tech, but if there's one thing Halo games are good at, it's having awesome things to look at.

[URL="http://i.imgur.com/ouRcj.jpg"][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/ouRcjl.jpg[/URL]

But hey, this was true even of Halo 3 and Halo 2.

More of this, 343. Blow my mind.

Monocle

- A campaign at least as good as Halo: CE's. With a snow level, if you please. And there can never be too many epic vistas in a Halo game. Also, longer is better.

- More finicky ways to tweak the campaign. Skulls are cool, but I want toggles like you have in Reach for Firefight and custom games. Vehicle and player invulnerability, unlimited ammo, altered enemy behaviors, and so on. Please make this happen, 343.

- FEWER INVISIBLE BOUNDARIES IN CAMPAIGN LEVELS. Godjesus, seriously. Bungie bitterly disappointed me with Halo 3 by closing off so many campaign spaces with idiot-proof walls. One of the best things about Halo: CE is all the crazy places you can explore off the beaten path. I love that aspect of the game so much, and I want it in Halo 4.

- Lots of Forerunner stuff, because everyone knows the Forerunners are the most compelling thing about the Halo series. Glorious architecture and miraculous world-sized constructs, plz.

- Precursor stuff, ideally a vast city like the one described in Cryptum. (Maybe I'll have to wait 'til Halo 5 or 6 for this one.)

- Improved Forge, more like a full level editor with better visual variety and a larger budget, Firefight map support, and extensive customization options for every multiplayer map.

- Halo: CE-ish physics. Make the Warthog feel like the Warthog again.

- Halo 3-ish jumping, movement speed (faster is fine), and melee lunges.

- More Dr. Halsey. I want her and Cortana to challenge each other to a snark-off.

Chinner

Banned
- make it fun again

- give it a story which is actually interesting

- don't just half-ass the last half of the game

1. More brutes!
  2. Bosses at the end of every campaign level
  3. Even more invincible AI companions this time around
  4. Long range assault rifle with a x4 zoom
  5. Removal of precision weapons from matchmaking
  6. Twice as many power weapons on each map

Top Bottom