• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 beta clips leak (sprint, ADS is *not* COD-style) (more clips and info added)

I can't believe all the posts from supposed "Halo fans" who are applauding these Call of Duty clone changes.

I guess they aren't true Scotsmen, right?

GQKWqbv.gif

Sorry, going to have to stop you there.

Invalidating others opinions without contributing to the conversation. That got me temp-banned once.
Halo won't always survive on nostalgia alone. It needs new blood to keep going. His opinion is as valid as anyones even if he isn't one of us that's been with the series since the start.

Teknoman

Bought every Halo game at release, sans Halo Wars. I enjoyed them all, and disagreed with a few design choices for each one. I don't mind the sprint and ADS. I welcome the change; these aren't aspects that solely define a Halo game. But I suppose not minding the changes, just makes me a lesser fan or someone who doesn't get it, according to most people.

It doesnt. But there are people making out that ADS is an evolution of FPS gameplay and that the standard crosshair shooting mechanics are old and dated, and thats just not true at all.

I dont even want to imagine the backlash if Unreal Tournament ends up having ADS or sprint not being some power up pick up.

WJD

Sprint I can kind of tolerate, but ADS couldn't be more wrong.

edit: If it is just a new animation for scoped guns then that's... less wrong.

Lrrr

This thread is truly embarrassing. Instead of acting like this...

GIFSoup

Do something positive for a change. Join the Halo 5 beta and when 343 request your feedback, calmly explain how and why you feel ADS and Sprint ruin the style of combat the series has become famous for. There's still an entire year left of development which means nothing is final. Should they receive massive amounts of constructive, and intelligent, feedback from concerned MP gamers - the very demographic they're targeting - about how those two additions are a turn-off, 343 will alter course.

Remember, the XB1 is way behind the PS4 in sales. MS simply cannot afford to screw up their main cash cow and if their target consumer from their biggest IP voices their displeasure, they make the necessary adjustments. The released XB1, and the new Kinect-less sku, proves this.

Make your voices heard in a constructive way and you'll get the changes, or non-changes, that you want, but please stop acting like 343 is punting babies off the top of the Empire State Building. It doesn't reflect well on the gamer community.

spootime

As someone who's never played halo and barely plays fps's, here's my informed opinion on sprint and ADS in console shooters.

Hoo-doo

Banned
And another example on why you shouldn't just detach a franchise from a developer like this. 343i not really getting it, it seems.

So, this means arena shooters are dead?

kimberly.thompson@epicgames.com.jpg

Why do they need to appeal to the current generation of gamers? Is Halo 3 so old that all those fans don't game anymore? Can current gamers not be able to accept arena style gameplay? Does every game have to be the exact same? Current gamers are not capable of enjoying variety and are only accepting of a singular gaming style in FPS's? Or are these all simply assumptions based on heavy CoD sales?

I would place my bets on focus testing and the huge numbers CoD puts up every year. why do you think MS has a deal with Activision on map packs? you can bet your top dollar that they have made bids to buy out that franchise on numerous occasions.

All you need to do is look at Halo 4s population to know that CODifying Halo doesn't work.

maybe the simple answer is that Halo just isn't as popular anymore and it's a dying franchise. I know halo4 sold millions but that's what happens with a 80m user base a big marketing push.

MS want's it's CoD and this is their best chance. they'll do whatever think is necessary to achieve that goal.

Ushay

I'm not a Halo fan, but you totally nailed most problems with today's games. I really miss the old Unreal Tournament/Quake III Arena style of fast gameplay :(

I totally get this sentiment, but not everyone wants this. 343i need to find the right balance I guess, it's an uphill battle to get this game right.

Hugstable

Banned
A GUIDE TO WHY PEOPLE ARE ANNOYED FOR THE UNINITIATED

The year is 2014. The multiplayer FPS genre has been dominated by a very specific brand of aim down sights/sprint based shooters, which started really exploding with the popularity of Call of Duty. Since then, for the majority of shooters... if you want to play them, you have to deal with that type of combat and gameplay.

But there existed a time before Call of Duty. A time when Unreal Tournament and Quake existed, which were some of the most finely tuned and blazingly fast FPS multiplayer experiences ever made to this day. A time when Return to Castle Wolfenstein multiplayer was so sweetly balanced that it didn't need to hold your hand so you could hit something. The gameplay itself was so engaging and so competitive that you felt compelled to get better, and didn't need a constant feed of positive reinforcement to do so. You didn't need level ups and fuckin' attachments and stat differentials; it wasn't how much you grinded that mattered, but how much of the accumulated skill sets you internalized.

Halo existed in the between time, right when consoles were starting to be really feasible for competitive FPS titles. And it added some new things, yes, but it was still very much rooted in an older tradition, one where again it was simply skill vs. skill and the pace was entirely governed by the rules it played by which remained a staple.

Consider where we are today. One of the reasons people were so furious about Tomb Raider 2013 is that it destroyed entirely a gametype that literally no longer exists in the industry, replacing it with something we see every other goddamn day. It may have been acceptable in some remote way if we had a world where the older genre was thriving, but we don't. And it's not like the older genre was bad (quite the contrary, it remains amongst the best ideas ever had in gaming) - it's just newer gamers were conditioned to have their hands held to such an extreme that they no longer could adjust to those old gameplay ideals.

The same is true of Halo. Because there are extremely few games anymore in the old tradition. Almost no games in the old Halo tradition. They simply don't exist, squeezed out of existence by whining new fans who couldn't adjust, couldn't acquire the skill sets, and therefore demanded the few remaining vestiges of this amazing older style to be expunged. So now Halo too is becoming like all those other "me-too" shooters, and where does that leave those who actually liked that older tradition? With few if any options left.

And that's just part of the issue.

Because maybe if there was some way to do ADS/Sprint and still make it feel like Halo, people would accept it. But as demonstrated with Halo 4, there isn't. It destroyed the heart and soul of the multiplayer and the community simply abandoned it, full stop. They catered to people who did not fucking care and the result is the series cratered.

When you have ADS/Sprint, it changes the entire ebb and flow of the combat. Where before you had "Run and Gun" characteristics, now you have "Run or Gun" flow, where people are either slowing/stopping to shoot through iron sights or then engaging sprint to get out of dodge. This literally transforms the way a traditional Halo match used to go. And it doesn't transform it into something better, but something vastly different, with lower skill requirements and that feels like a billion other shooters on the market.

You don't have to be a fan of Halo to understand why this is so problematic to so many.

Damn Amirox telling it like it is. Exactly my thoughts on the whole situation

kpaadet

I don't see the big deal, Wolfenstein never had those either yet the new one does and its a better game for it. Are Halo fans really that conservative? Can nothing be modernize?

Vidpixel

Well supposedly they removed loadouts and power weapon drops from the sky, so yeah maybe.

I really hope this is the case. The main thing I want out of Halo 5 is simple, really: everyone starting out on an even playing field. Same starting weapon, loadout and everything: bring back map control and the concept of maintaining power weapons.

It probably is just for BRs, DMRs, Snipers and whatever guns have scopes but I still don't like it. Oh well, at least we get a beta.

I think you might be right but my fear is that the guns will have various attachments as that looked similar to a red dot sight than a scope.

Time will tell.

Damn, to take the socom analogy even further, MCC would be Socom Confrontation and Halo 5 would be Socom 4. Except confrontation sucked ass because of the horrible buggy launch while MCC looks awesome.

Two Words

I don't get how people think others have to take a wait and see approach. If you don't like ADS or sprinting, you already know that. It's a simple mechanic that has clear impacts on gameplay. 343 isn't going to find some magic sweet spot to make it somehow different than other shooters from the past 8 years.

BigDug13

kimberly.thompson@epicgames.com.jpg

I would place my bets on focus testing and the huge numbers CoD puts up every year. why do you think MS has a deal with Activision on map packs? you can bet your top dollar that they have made bids to buy out that franchise on numerous occasions.

maybe the simple answer is that Halo just isn't as popular anymore and it's a dying franchise. I know halo4 sold millions but that's what happens with a 80m user base a big marketing push.

MS want's it's CoD and this is their best chance. they'll do whatever think is necessary to achieve that goal.

Focus testing is continuing to ruin gaming confirmed?

spootime

GIFSoup

Do something positive for a change. Join the Halo 5 beta and when 343 request your feedback, calmly explain how and why you feel ADS and Sprint ruin the style of combat the series has become famous for. There's still an entire year left of development which means nothing is final. Should they receive massive amounts of constructive, and intelligent, feedback from concerned MP gamers - the very demographic they're targeting - about how those two additions are a turn-off, 343 will alter course.

Remember, the XB1 is way behind the PS4 in sales. MS simply cannot afford to screw up their main cash cow and if their target consumer from their biggest IP voices their displeasure, they make the necessary adjustments. The released XB1, and the new Kinect-less sku, proves this.

Make your voices heard in a constructive way and you'll get the changes, or non-changes, that you want, but please stop acting like 343 is punting babies off the top of the Empire State Building. It doesn't reflect well on the gamer community.

Hey guys lets discuss times that 343 (and game developers in general) made significant changes to games in their demos (oops, I mean "beta")

Okay, done.

deejay8595

my posts are "MEH"
343 just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Halo fan culture (I'm an expert), but no sprinting and lack of ADS are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in CoD where you can become successful by being a camper. If you camp in Halo, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the xbox public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Halo 5 for xbox one, nor will they purchase the Master Chief Collection. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but 343 has alienated an entire market with this move.

343, publicly apologize and cancel sprinting and ADS for Halo 5 or you can kiss your business goodbye.
LOL! Never gets old!

I guess they aren't true Scotsmen, right?

GQKWqbv.gif

Hey, have you heard of the new Metroid game? It's an action shooter taking notes from CoD! Metroid can attach to cover, blindfire, and even modify his cannon with new bullet types! There's no exploration but whatever it's an evolution it doesn't have to make sense fuck is context I'm legit excited and you should be too

Guerrilla

wait and see, I get sprinting, sprinting is totally fine, and can actually benefit the game. ADS seems cray cray, but let's give them a chance to prove us wrong. We get a beta in december and if it really destroys everything, they have a year to change it :)

I don't see the big deal, Wolfenstein never had those either yet the new one does and its a better game for it. Are Halo fans really that conservative? Can nothing be modernize?
Wolfenstein TNO is not a competitive multiplayer shooter

Modernizing something does not mean parroting every other shooter out there

Ushay

GIFSoup

Thank you, a constructive and thoughtful post. The beta is the BEST way to voice your opinion. Do it guys, make Halo better. The Xbox One is probably the most receptive to feedback I've ever seen a console become.

Uiki

That is going to be a popular opinion among most gamers these days, for better or worse.

Well, considering how well cs is doing right now... i don't fucking care what the casual-fps-multiplayer audience thinks.

Halo with ads and sprint is like having cs with perks and respawn.

I can't believe all the posts from supposed "Halo fans" who are applauding these Call of Duty clone changes.

I love Halo to death. Been a fan of the Halo series for a super long time. I also love CoD. I watched that short clip of Halo 5 footage and I'm still excited to play the game because I don't take this kind of stuff seriously.

Zakalwe

Banned
Do something positive for a change. Join the Halo 5 beta .

Thank you, a constructive and thoughtful post. The beta is the BEST way to voice your opinion. Do it guys, make Halo better. The Xbox One is probably the most receptive to feedback I've ever seen a console become.

Do you really think Beta releases these days are actually places where this kind it feedback will be taken on board and such a fundamental design decision rolled back?

Modern Betas are demos, server stress tests at best. Maybe a few balance changes or slight tweaks will be made after feedback. But the core gameplay is set at this point.

Top Bottom