• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 beta clips leak (sprint, ADS is *not* COD-style) (more clips and info added)

Asked around, things can change but, assault rifle got dat ADS too, "pretty much" all the weapons. They're going for that e-sports scene very hard.

Welp.

1402090800633.jpg

Hate to burst your bubble but the BR has always had ADS.

You seem to not really understand what ADS means when referring to fps games. It isn't just zooming in or using a scope. It is the system that is in place that increases your accuracy and slows you down while aiming, normally paired with poor hip fire accuracy. The BR had zooms where you lose no mobility and aren't any more actuate.

The people you are arguing with don't seem to realize that you just don't understand what the term means as well.

daveo42

Banned
I bounced out of Halo after the 2nd one, but this news actually makes me sad. Halo was at least still unique in the realm of fps with solid gameplay and fast, fun combat that didn't feel bogged down. Quite a sad day to hear this is all changing.

Asked around, assault rifle got dat ADS too, "pretty much" all the weapons. They're going for that e-sports scene very hard.

Welp.

raining_david_tennant_nosedrip.gif

Hoo-doo

Banned
What are you going to ADS on the assault rifle? Are you going to look through the ammo counter display or wil it have a top rail for interchangable red dot sights and ACOG scopes?

Alright. That's got me seriously reconsidering my expectations for this game. This is some Bizarro shit. I really want to give this a try now and see how hip firing holds up. At the very least if ADS is as pointless as it should be it'll just let me kill the dudes who tend to default to it more easily.

Seventy70

You'd think that learned after Halo 4, but instead they keep digging their hole. Is it that hard for them to realize that people want to buy Halo because it's Halo not another modern fps rip off. Halo is dead. I don't think I'm even going to bother entering in the Halo 5 beta code.

There is a reason that Halo MCC is the most hyped Halo game in a long time, but they still can't grasp that people just want HALO.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Asked around, things can change but, assault rifle got dat ADS too, "pretty much" all the weapons. They're going for that e-sports scene very hard.

Welp.

Where did you get that info?

Also, going after eSports by including those features seems pretty silly IMO. COD has virtually zero eSports presence, and the only shooter with a large presence has a shooting system similar to old school Halo. (CS:GO)

Wollveren

Banned

Welp.

I find that really weird, I'm looking at the H5 beta trailer now, and I don't see how the AR can accommodate ADS with zero iron sights... FML this is annoying :(

Azlan

Personally I liked the addition of sprint. Could do without ADS, but isn't the end of the world. Will wait to judge.

scitek

Frankie has a point. If all the guns are just as accurate without ADS, I don't see the issue. Sprint's garbage, though.

daveo42

Banned
BR didn't decrease your movement speed while zooming and the weapon had the same accuracy regardless of whether you were zoomed or not.

It's completely different.

Yup. ADS or Ironsights or w/e ppl want to call it completely slows down the flow of gameplay. Adding sprint to speed things up means normal movement is hanicapped while also encounters less tight and fast. It's basically start/stop combat instead of a nice even flow you have been able to get with Halo in the past.

Where did you get that info?

Also, going after eSports by including those features seems pretty silly IMO. COD has virtually zero eSports presence, and the only shooter with a large presence has a shooting system similar to old school Halo. (CS:GO)
He's got connections
I have gotten good, solid information from him before though regarding the Destiny Beta

Welp.
Well I was holding out and hoping that the ADS was just an asthetic change to the BR's zoom but there it is.

Hold onto MCC and never let it go folks.

They can have a million tries. Can you tell me how you would actually do it? Once you add these features, by definition you're eradicating the older tradition. Because of what these features actually do in gameplay, it changes the ebb/flow no matter how you implement it. It becomes unHalo. And some people might like that unHalo package (although the Halo 4 community abandoning ship should tell you what you need to know), but it's not Halo.

And there's so few games like Halo left that this is the problem. People who like COD trash already have a billion options.

Also: This has nothing even tangentially to do with nostalgia.

People remembering past games fondly, and wanting a development team to stay true to the values of those games? If that's not tangentially related to nostalgia, then please disregard the word and insert my incorrect definition.

And ofcourse I can't tell you how you'd actually do it, anymore than you can tell me they can't. Outside of falling back on 'ebb and flow' and 'unHalo' - which so as to not sound like unfair jabs, the 'ebb and flow' changed between Halo 1-3.

All I can say, is that playing Titan on Destiny, feels distinctly more like Halo than anything else I have played in years. And if you asked early on in the PSone era, whether good shooter mechanics could be done on a gamepad, there'd be fair justification in saying no.

To reiterate, there is NOTHING binary about decisions like this. Nothing antithetical.

There is only wait and see what they manage to do with it. Which, to be fair, I am not arguing they will manage to meld Halo and ADS, but it's also not impossible. It's not a reason to write Halo 5 off, yet.

Top Bottom