• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 beta clips leak (sprint, ADS is *not* COD-style) (more clips and info added)

This times 1000. Everyone in this thread is overreacting. I mean for crying out loud. Sprinting? It's 2014, is that something to get mad about? We've had 6 very similar Halo games, now it's time to change the formula

We've had a dozen very similar CoD games and a billion games that have followed that formula. Why does Halo, basically the last major shooter of its kind, have to become like that to become valid and something considered 'modern' to some of you? It's nonsense.

Noobcraft

Sprint's been in since Reach (granted as a "Armor Ability" to where you would LOSE it if it wasn't equipped). So I dunno outside of "purism" on that one being a big deal.

ADS not being scope only is (IMO) a good change in regards to consistency. I understand the outrage and OMG THAT'S NOT HALO since it hasn't been in the series (unless you count "scoping in" for the Battle-Rifle/Sniper) but would help some newer players in regards to having "consistency" with all weapons.

I dunno. Until I actually play it
If ever. Come on 343 and do PC ports already
I'll hold off on screaming bloody murder over it. I'll admit the "Killstreak" design they added to Call of Halo 4 was a bad decision, meanwhile. But both of these aren't really Killstreaks. So long as the "Sandbox" is still mostly there, I don't see a major issue.
Yeah I'm fine as long as they drop the killstreaks and make the maps more about teamwork and map control instead of lone wolf COD style gameplay.

Mr Lakitu

Banned
5ee41d688f58e4379ac67c6637b00f83.gif

Yup, over 100 levels and forge... there's plenty there

if ads is true then this could be the a serious cod alternative if they play their cards right... Longer time to kill will automatically make it a more skillful shooter and could hit home with the mlg crowds

Lrrr

As Halo consumers, you all have an enormous amount of power over MS, but you're so busy being angry that very few of you can see it. Speak with your wallets. Cancel your H5 pre-orders. Join the beta and make your voices heard. Currently MS is a company willing to listen to its customers. They weren't at this time last year, but lack of sales have changed them (for the time being). Use that to your advantage. Don't believe people who say things can't be changed. These are the same people who believed MS when they said the XB1 and Kinect were one system and couldn't function without the other.

Edit: For the record, I'm not bothered by ADS and Sprint, but if you are, provide constructive feedback instead of bombarding devs with rants on Twitter.

Guerrilla

Just cosmetic? Think about it for more than three seconds and think about how rediculous that sounds.

The entire thing about aiming down the sights in FPS is to aim more accurately. They aren't dictating the left trigger to a cosmetic-only sight-obstructing feature that NOBODY would ever use if it didn't improve the gun's accuracy.
You are just putting your fingers in your ears and going 'LALALA' if you honestly think it's just a throwaway cosmetic feature.

Did you ever play halo, are you even interested? Or are you just trying to stir the fire?

Left trigger seems insane, it was always R3 (Right analog stick), and again it probably will be R3. It was always there to zoom, not just cosmetic, and didn't make the weapon more accurate, and the BR and even the pistol in halo always had scopes. It's entirely possible this is just an optical change to the scope. Or do you know anything we don't?

viveks86

I aint even mad. For the people that just want them to make Halo 2 over and over until the end of time they're putting out the MCC on Tuesday. I want them to do their own thing.

I'm pretty neutral on this issue, but are you suggesting that ADS is their own thing? o_O

Edit: holy shit thread moves past

spootime

Sprint's been in since Reach (granted as a "Armor Ability" to where you would LOSE it if it wasn't equipped). So I dunno outside of "purism" on that one being a big deal.

ADS not being scope only is (IMO) a good change in regards to consistency. I understand the outrage and OMG THAT'S NOT HALO since it hasn't been in the series (unless you count "scoping in" for the Battle-Rifle/Sniper) but would help some newer players in regards to having "consistency" with all weapons.

I dunno. Until I actually play it
If ever. Come on 343 and do PC ports already
I'll hold off on screaming bloody murder over it. I'll admit the "Killstreak" design they added to Call of Halo 4 was a bad decision, meanwhile. But both of these aren't really Killstreaks. So long as the "Sandbox" is still mostly there, I don't see a major issue.

Honesty - who gives a fuck about helping new players adjust? I don't think games should be changing core gameplay staples to hand hold new players because its obviously not necessary.

trixx

I aint even mad. For the people that just want them to make Halo 2 over and over until the end of time they're putting out the MCC on Tuesday. I want them to do their own thing.

It's like kanye fans when he released 808's and heartbreaks. "what the hell is this shit, i wanted college dropout"

If you want "old" kanye you have college dropout and late registration.

If you want smash bros melee, you have smash bros melee.

BigDug13

But they're NOT doing their own thing. They're talking something unique that Halo had and are replacing it with CoD clone gameplay. How is that unique at all?

Sanic

Halo 4 held fewer players for a far shorter amount of time than Bungie's efforts. That statement doesn't make any sense to me.

Like I said earlier, Halo still feels fresh and unique (and has sold well traditionally) because it doesn't fall back on traditional crutches and has its own niche.

Did Halo Reach hold fewer players than 3? I have no idea myself, but Im guessing it did.

How much of this is due to changing market dynamics? They got the sales. I don't know if there's a silver bullet solution for holding 10+ million players onto a game when we have a plethora of cheap games available today, in addition to juggernauts like Call of Duty.

Mesonak

ADS only has potential to be negative if it actually affects gameplay with weapon aiming speed/player movement speed. If it's just an aesthetic change, it's fine and I don't really care.

Sprint? I also don't really care, but probably because I'm used to it (and expected they'd add it).

This is the most confusing thread I've ever read. When the player 'scopes' in you can see the gun and iron sights. Yet people are saying the speed in which it takes to scope in determines if it's ADS or not... Huh?

Not sure how I feel about this, it makes me think they have replaced the click to zoom function of scoped guns to bring up the iron sight instead, it might be a very similar thing but eh.

I do worry about the future of halo when we get things like this creeping in where they don't belong.

I'm still holding out hope for this. I hope Shinobi's sources didn't know what they were talking about. :lol

We'll know tomorrow.

Chobel

Did you ever play halo, are you even interested? Or are you just trying to stir the fire?

Left trigger seems insane, it was always R3 (Right analog stick), and again it probably will be R3. It was always there to zoom, not just cosmetic, and didn't make the weapon more accurate, and the BR and even the pistol in halo always had scopes. It's entirely possible this is just an optical change to the scope. Or do you know anything we don't?

Shinobi said "pretty much all the weapons" have ADS.

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
People don't care about me so no-one
If you need me to I can dig my way through the Destiny Beta threads to show how he knew ahead of time that Bungie was going to make the Beta a little longer

Nah dude lol everyone knows Shinobi. I don't know who you are though.

T.O.P

Banned
Will they do some presentation after the Tournament is over or something?

Kinda read something about it but i can't remember the post :/

343's "innovations" to Halo thus far:

-Default Sprint
-custom loadouts
-perks
-kill streaks
-Oversaturated medal flasher
-kill cams
-quick time events
-ADS

This isn't "evolution".

This is like people saying it's fine for a Pikachu to evolve into a Gyarados instead of a Raichu because Gyarados is the most popular Pokemon.

According to Shinobi, you play as Chief for 10% of the game.

shinobi leaking things is cool

making unsourced statements claiming that they are from shinobi is not cool

Get out of here! We have no room for level-headed considerations!

What would playing it tell us that this footage hasn't? People are upset that the gameplay is not traditional halo gameplay. We can see that from the video.

Black-Box

Just cosmetic? Think about it for more than three seconds and think about how rediculous that sounds.

The entire thing about aiming down the sights in FPS is to aim more accurately. They aren't dictating the left trigger to a cosmetic-only sight-obstructing feature that NOBODY would ever use if it didn't improve the gun's accuracy.
You are just putting your fingers in your ears and going 'LALALA' if you honestly think it's just a throwaway cosmetic feature.

Thank god Halo never had aim assist.

Hoo-doo

Banned

I have played every Halo except H4.

The shown footage is clearly different from the zooming mechanic that the BR, pistol or sniper rifle had in previous Halo games. I hope for HaloGAF's sake that you're right.

Seventy70

It's like kanye fans when he released 808's and heartbreaks. "what the hell is this shit, i wanted college dropout"

If you want "old" kanye you have college dropout and late registration.

What if they changed the core mechanics of Mario and said, "We need to change this formula to appeal more to a newer audience, but we have all the previous Mario games available for the old Mario fans."

Booshka

As a Halo CE diehard, I find the rage regarding Halo's "watering down" by introducing COD elements hella funny.

Haha yep, series has been dumbed down with every sequel. This is just continuing the trend that CE purists have been witnessing for an actual decade now.

10 year anniversary of Halo 2 is quite the day for Halo news.

But the vast mojority of NeoGAF or Reddit is not the majority in reality.

You're right, of course. And that's why I won't buy Halo 5.

The majority of gamers enjoy CoD and LoL. Based on sales and play. What we've seen over the last few years is a major trend in games slowly becoming more like CoD or more like a MOBA. All of them? No, of course not. But the amount of games coming out that I legitimately care about is dwindling to the point where I only purchase one or two games a year.

Destiny was one of those, and it also trended towards CoD. In some obvious ways and in some pretty nefarious other ways. So forgive me if I'm skeptical of the game industry in general lately.

moai

Why are people talking about this game like everything is set in stone and the beta wont change anything and "cancel preorders"? Isnt this game like a year from now? Can you preorder a game that is so far away? I dont follow halo but this kind of post seem a little extreme.

BTM

Hey everyone here's an idea. halo 5 comes out one year after the beta. If everyone absolutely hates the supposed ads we need to make our voices heard. Maybe 343 is trying this out a year early just to see how people like it. If they don't, theyll probably have time to change it.

Not defending 343 but the ADS looks cosmetic only. If the BR isn't a 4sk or I guess 5sk based of Halo 4 then they messed up. If I am not able to strafe like I want to in this view then they messed up. If I am not able to do everything I've been able to to in Halo 1-3 because of this view then they messed up.

Well we have a beta to try out. We will find out for ourselves then plus we get a sneak peek at it on the Nov 10.

lt519

Haven't played Halo since 3. Is scoping different than ADS? And if so how? I could of sworn there was some sort of aiming mechanism other than firing from the hip. But then again that was a looong time ago.

Top Bottom