• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 beta preview [Game revolution] [Update: Big Screens]

Reebot

Put me on team "graphics look pretty good."

Not a big Halo guy in general but this looks pretty nifty. And just pretty. Whats with all the hate?

L4nnist3r

...But honestly, these graphics look great to me. Super clean, AA, good sight lines, flat surfaces, etc. For a game like Halo that's all you need IMO.

That is if this aren't bull shots.

My guess is the game wont have this amount of AA, but if what you said the case, then i have to agree with you, for a Halo game that's all you need at least for MP.

VeeP

Corrine was 1 of 6 Graphics Engineers with Thomas J Holmes being the lead.

Ahh. Your right. My mistake. And you have a point, it takes more than one person to make a game, it takes a talented team. And 343 are talented.

But a lot of sacrifices were made to make Halo 4 look good. Water physics were worse, particle effects weak, a lot of 2D cutouts, split screen was not fun (frame rate drops), etc.

Put me on team "graphics look pretty good."

Not a big Halo guy in general but this looks pretty nifty. And just pretty. Whats with all the hate?

I'm not sure, especially when this is all MP stuff. MP needs to be crisp and clean, which is exactly what this is.

I am sure the campaign will have lush environments and a worse frame rate to boot. For the MP, these visuals are perfect, much better than halo reach/4.

EVIL

igAheOGlkBDws.jpg

Unacceptable

hens forth the blue will be called, Blue pigs

Freeser

Graphics look great but so did Killzone's. Interested to see some gameplay vids. The only way I can see sprint working is if getting shots breaks your sprint so people can't constantly flee from battle.

I just kind of want a new no-nonsense arena-shooter to play with my buddies. Halo 3 was so great when everybody spawned on the same terms with the game being about map-control and communication. It'll be fun to see if they can achieve that, despite all the added features.

I'm just imagining the game being like the crossfit equivalent to Halo 2 and 3. No grace, just idiots running and flailing.

L4nnist3r

I'm not sure, especially when this is all MP stuff. MP needs to be crisp and clean, which is exactly what this is.

I am sure the campaign will have lush environments and a worse frame rate to boot. For the MP, these visuals are perfect, much better than halo reach/4.

It may be the look of the map also it looks to clinical, if that makes any sense.

I can't believe anyone is seriously having a discussion about the graphics here. I understand the term "beta" has largely been ruined over the last generation but this game is a year away, and it's obviously using Halo 4 placeholder assets. The only thing we'll be able to judge from the beta is gameplay, and map design (specifically layout, not visuals). Even those elements will probably be extensively tweaked/adjusted/polished before the actual release.

lefantome

That's probably because it doesn't come out until November of 2015.

The game is more than a year away.

Jesus Christ. What was the last time we had a AAA console game with a beat ~a year before launch? I'm drawing a blank.

I expected these answers, it was said the same in 2006 when the first screenshots of Halo 3 Alpha multiplayer were leaked/released.

Graphics are(present tense) underwhelming, they can change though.

Graphics look pretty rough, but then again so did Halo Reach's in the beta trailer released a month before the beta. The main things that have me worried visually is that the textures are worse than Halo 4, the materials look plastic and the shadows are very low res. I imagine all of these will be fixed by December 29th.

As for the Smart Scope I hope they just mean it scopes like a classic Halo weapon.

shandy706

Cool. I'll wait till then before having a real opinion of things. Thanks!

I'd recommend only gameplay/design opinions an entire year from release.

That's a looooong time for changes.

Then again....I kind of want to play the beta before I even comment on those things. How long does the beta run? When is it? (goes to look)

I don't plan on getting the MCC till Xmas time.

Extremely dissapointed with the graphics. Looks like a touch up of a last generation game.

f-p.gif

BadRamen

Graphics look pretty rough, but then again so did Halo Reach's in the beta trailer released a month before the beta. The main things that have me worried visually is that the textures are worse than Halo 4, the materials look plastic and the shadows are very low res. I imagine all of these will be fixed by December 29th.

As for the Smart Scope I hope they just mean it scopes like a classic Halo weapon.

Is the beta about figuring out how good the game looks or how it plays?

I'm still cautiously holding out for the big reveal tonight, but nothing that we've seen so far including yesterday's leaks looks very promising...

343 Industries needs to fire whatever team is doing their market research, because they clearly seem to be having a difficult time understanding/interpreting what the Halo community likes about the franchise. Obviously, you'll get conflicting opinions about "what Halo fans want" every time you get a group of them in a room or on a forum.

The odd thing about the lead up to today's Halo 5 reveal is that the 343 team seemed to be distancing themselves from the debacle that was Halo 4 with quotes from Josh Holmes (the exec producer of Halo 5) saying things like, "It’s celebrating the legacy of competitive gameplay that’s always been at the heart of Halo’s multiplayer.” As well as announcing that all players will start with the same loadout in the multiplayer beta.

After, yesterday's leak, and today's preview embargo break, it's still looking like 343 Industries doesn't quite get it.

Also, is anyone else concerned that they seem to be potentially overemphasizing small team slayer maps? Don't get me wrong, small maps are great, but Halo has always had great mid-large maps for objective based gameplay. In my opinion, the team objective gametypes like CTF and bomb have always been one of Halo's greatest assets.

Leyasu

Banned
Add me to that looks nice bunch. Also I cant wait to see this and play it.

Just like others have said, make the red more red please.

Rockondevil

Even though some things so far don't look or sound promising I'm going to keep positive and hope it turns out we are over exaggerating. Fingers crossed.

RdN

Very clean, and the models are looking nice for a game still an year from shipping. I am, as many Halo fans here, cautious with the direction 343i is taking. Hopefully when we get to play in December, all the worries will go away.

cartoonized like all Xbox One exclusive games...

So many colors... didn't like it

LOL! Oh, junior...

If this was Uncharted people would say, "Wow can you imagine what type of visuals they can do within the next year of development!?"

...but since it's Halo, they're speaking as if the game is shipping next week!!

I need a vacation from GAF

*packs bags*

Vinc

I don't know about the gameplay changes and I'll have to see it in action to be convinced but I like that they're trying something, even though it sounds a bit like Halo Advanced Warfare on paper. More encouraging is the change in visual style that now appears closer to Bungie's with a cleaner, more colorful look. I hope they're not afraid to go bright, I want Halo 5 to look closer to 3 than 4 from a visual standpoint. 4 looked amazing graphically, but the art style didn't feel like Halo to me.

Gestault

This needs to be replaced with a GIF of the guy in
removed because this guy is a jerk

You don't know how spoiler tags work. You need to give context for what it would be about so people can decide whether to click it or not. In a discussion about Halo, yours was waaay out of line.

JaggedSac

You don't know how spoiler tags work. You need to give context for what it would be about so people can decide whether to click it or now. In a discussion about Halo, yours was waaay out of line.

Brilliant spoiler mate, totally related to Halo.

Yeah I expected a Halo spoiler so I didn't think anything of it :/

I hope that wasn't a major one.

Come on man. You need to be a little more specific about that kind of spoiler lol.

You should tag that as an Interstellar spoiler.

Come on guys, I spoiler tagged it :p I updated my post though. Wasn't a big spoiler btw. Very vague.

Top Bottom