• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Concept Art

It will have smoover graphics tho.

Anyway, deciding what our color palette is based on a single piece of concept art is definitely wrong-headed. Halo is a universe with a ton of visual variety, locations and atmosphere. That is something that will continue and grow.

Halo 4 was neither gritty nor "brown" to borrow the gaf shorthand for that stuff.

Ourt future games aren't going to be gritty or brown. Unless the environment calls for it. Like sand. Sand is gritty and brown.

I am literally excited about what we have in store, while being simultaneously humbled and aware of what the audience wants and deserves.
I really hope the bolded is true. I was a huge Halo fan from the beginning and Halo 4 burned me really bad. I don't want an Xbox One for any reason right now and am perfectly happy with my PC, Wii U and PS4. I want you guys to make me buy an Xbox One.

jelly

Anyway, deciding what our color palette is based on a single piece of concept art is definitely wrong-headed. Halo is a universe with a ton of visual variety, locations and atmosphere. That is something that will continue and grow.

Halo 4 was neither gritty nor "brown" to borrow the gaf shorthand for that stuff.

Ourt future games aren't going to be gritty or brown. Unless the environment calls for it. Like sand. Sand is gritty and brown.

I am literally excited about what we have in store, while being simultaneously humbled and aware of what the audience wants and deserves.

Is there any lovely water ?

I want Master Chief swimming or hover skiing or something more than a puddle or stream. What better way to infiltrate the enemy stronghold than unknown through underwater caves. Creepy crawlies that glow and some that kill, put that lighting and slime engine to work. Then HDR overload as he emerges from the caves to take on the main enemy but what they don't realize is Master Chief lured some big beast out which causes havoc on the enemy position. It would be great. Every series needs a water level!

Campaign wasn't too bad, multiplayer was where I had my issues:

pitfall-4d905f5d-6e0c-467c-a592-de09d41f7517.png

outcast-0ca0bec2-d1a9-4c14-aa28-7af4556a5274.png

daybreak-fe5dbee0-32cd-4878-a5e3-4ebca73f9933.png

wreckage.png

landfall.png

harvest.png

solace.png

exile.png

erosion.png

abandon.png

adrift.png

and of course:

complex.png

Caayn

Apologies if my post sounded like that. I agree that it's dumb to jump to conclusions from a single piece of concept art.
--snip--

In terms of art/color Halo 4 was a step in the right direction, especially the singleplayer, after we've had Reach. Still it relied to much on the lighting, imo, to make it look good. Making it look somewhat bland/dull/washed as a result.

I'm just as excited, as you are to drop a bomb on us, to see what you're going to tease us with next.

What to go up against Destiny? Sure buddy.

Destiny is not proven, Halo is. If it was a new ip then it is more of a risk.

Just going by Halo 3, ODST and Reach. Yeah, Halo 4 released in Nov, but it got brutalized by COD.

Versus going against COD? Sure, pal. If Halo 5 doesn't release in Sept, I'll be surprised.

Halo 4 released in Nov which is COD month and still sold well. Any game that is notable will sell.

JHall

Sandtrap remake confirmed.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
exile.png

gameplay design and vehicle choice and placement aside, i really like exile. GORGEOUS too. really captures the halo look IMO.

ElRenoRaven

exile.png

gameplay design and vehicle choice and placement aside, i really like exile. GORGEOUS too. really captures the halo look IMO.

I do agree. Out of all the Halo 4 ampaign and multiplayer this is the most Halo like Map in both map flow and just look. When I play on it I feel like I'm playing Halo even with all the crap smeared overtop the gameplay.

I just want Halo 5 to have more open and large environments like Assault on the Control Room, Halo 4 was a real step back in that regard.

Doran902

I want to berieve

I don't berieve,

Halo 4 mp had zero Halo mp soul.

Problems started with Reach mp though.

I think they can make a good campaign but I have no faith in their ability to make a proper Halo multiplayer game.

Also fuck you guys for giving me a mp game that had framerate issues when you played splitscreen.

I don't berieve,

Halo 4 mp had zero Halo mp soul.

Problems started with Reach mp though.

I think they can make a good campaign but I have no faith in their ability to make a proper Halo multiplayer game.

Also fuck you guys for giving me a mp game that had framerate issues when you played splitscreen.

Don't forget about the gray blobs that replaced the rocks on split-screen. That seemed to be a result of pushing the hardware to its limits though, I'm not too worried about that for Halo 5. Though it's always a concern.

jbug617

Banned
The staff changes are also notewhorthy:

I'm wondering if Kiki is working on some type of VR because it sounds like it from the bulletin.

But what about Kiki, our EP from Halo 4? Our intrepid Wolfkiller is right here, developing exciting new stories, experiences and technologies that will transform the way that you experience Halo. She will have more to share at a later date, but I can promise that what she is working on is really cool.

Mayyhem

I want to berieve

Yeah, me too, seriously. I don't know what it is. I swore to never touch Halo again after 4 but this franchise just means too much to me to give up like that. I'll be a LOT more skeptical going into 5, but I'll give them one more shot.

Chettlar

Banned
I wish more people realized this about Halo. The obscene draw distances (what, 14 miles in Halo 3, 28 in Reach?) in those games help convey the scope that "this game is big." With simple 2D skyboxes, it just doesn't sell the experience nearly as well, because of this jarring change between foreground and background.

But let's be honest, Halo 4 had way worse things going on for it, like really poor map design and oddly-balanced difficulty (I think they designed Reach Heroic for me as a person; maybe I sleep-tested it or something). Halo 4, when it came down to it, didn't feel good to move around in (levels), and had enemies who absorbed too many bullets while dealing just a bit too much damage (switching down to normal meant things got too easy).

I almost might have forgiven the sins in the second paragraph if only the first had been done right. :/

Haven't played Reach on Heroic, but Halo 3 Heroic is the absolute perfect fit for me (except on "Floodgate" "Cortana" and "Halo" in which case the flood made Normal feel like Heroic and Heroic like...almost but not as hard as Legendary -- mostly on account of those stupid ranged forms).

I mean, on Halo 3, the thing for Heroic does say "The way Halo was meant to be played."

I wish I had Reach. Your post made me want to go replay it.

I actually don't like his writing. He does relationships weirdly, but he seems to want to do them. That said, uh... he's delivered way better scripts than what we got with Halo 4, so maybe he can do some good?

But oh man if they brought him back especially for Halo ODST 2 I would get so excited
especially if it was on PC, because I'm in no position to purchase an Xbox One

Indeed, to the bolded, but again, anything could be better than the pointless, stupid writing in 4. Can we stop having stories that try to be all this "meaningful" sh** when the entire rest of the game says the exact opposite? Like Gears of War being all "War is bad" when....you're fighting a war. It's kind of like, say, getting a girlfriend for the first time and having everybody you meet tell you what a terrible thing girlfriends are. It's like..."well, thanks everybody."

/rant.

I don't recall Staten ever doing the afore-described, but I may be mistaken.

And yes. EVERY GAME should be on PC.

Doffen

Yeah, but will the next Halo include a beta access for Crackdown 3?

Chettlar

Banned

Um...excuse me?

Observe:

Campaign wasn't too bad, multiplayer was where I had my issues:

pitfall-4d905f5d-6e0c-467c-a592-de09d41f7517.png

outcast-0ca0bec2-d1a9-4c14-aa28-7af4556a5274.png

daybreak-fe5dbee0-32cd-4878-a5e3-4ebca73f9933.png

wreckage.png

landfall.png

harvest.png

solace.png

exile.png

erosion.png

abandon.png

adrift.png

and of course:

complex.png

In all likelihood, since these are from multiplayer, these are probably the maps I'm going to see the most since, while I do play campaign a ton (and it is the reason I buy Halo games), multiplayer, by it's nature, is something I'm going to play more often.

As Poker Face says ^, "Campaign wasn't too bad," but honestly, compared to CEA (the perfect Halo aesthetic, I think. You guys did fantastic with that!!!), it's as bland as hummus without spice.

EDIT: don't get me wrong, I rather like to aesthetic to an extent. I actually really, really like the remake of The Pit (the look, I mean; I wish you guys had left the actual map completely alone. It doesn't quite play the same with the changes, meaning not as good). It just really isn't very "Halo-y" at all. If that makes sense.

DocSeuss

I almost might have forgiven the sins in the second paragraph if only the first had been done right. :/

Haven't played Reach on Heroic, but Halo 3 Heroic is the absolute perfect fit for me (except on "Floodgate" "Cortana" and "Halo" in which case the flood made Normal feel like Heroic and Heroic like...almost but not as hard as Legendary -- mostly on account of those stupid ranged forms).

I mean, on Halo 3, the thing for Heroic does say "The way Halo was meant to be played."

I wish I had Reach. Your post made me want to go replay it.

I'm really glad I got a digital copy of Reach from Microsoft for free (disc size enhancement beta test thingies). Even if I sell my disc, I've still got a copy.

Thing is, when I sit down with friends, and it's all "hey, what do I want to play?" Well... Reach is the game I go for. And it's frustrating, because I look at Halo 4, and it's like "yeah, I want to co-op this..." but when I actually go through and think about the level design, it's... I dunno. Nothing comes to mind. Nothing makes me go "yes, this is a great level, and I want to co-op this." Contrast that with Reach, where I'm like "oh oh oh, I know, let's play this and then that and then those!"

Halo 4 is the only game I don't want to co-op with. It and Halo 2 are the only ones I refuse to replay. The checkpointing's bad, the enemies are bullet sponges, the visual language has been broken up in bits and pieces, the levels just aren't that fun (like, um, y'know that bit where you're just doing random, abstract teleportion and shooting people? It's not fun at all)... Plus there's the way that the story just seems to be missing its entire second act (second and third if we're going five-act here).

Plus, there's this way that Halo and Halo 3 both change up their combat language that makes them the best games in the series: go along, get used to an enemy type, meet a new enemy, then mix both languages together to create a compelling experience.

Halo 4's just like "hey here are three new enemies; space dogs, space knights, and that other one so unmemorable I actually forgot it."

I really wish I had the opportunity to sit down with the Halo guys and just kinda walk through the games, understand their decisions, and stuff like that. I'd really like to see where they're coming from and why they made the choices they did.

Seriously, if I had a plane ticket and a day to play through the game and chat with 'em, I'd totally do it.

Indeed, to the bolded, but again, anything could be better than the pointless, stupid writing in 4. Can we stop having stories that try to be all this "meaningful" sh** when the entire rest of the game says the exact opposite? Like Gears of War being all "War is bad" when....you're fighting a war. It's kind of like, say, getting a girlfriend for the first time and having everybody you meet tell you what a terrible thing girlfriends are. It's like..."well, thanks everybody."

/rant.

I don't recall Staten ever doing the afore-described, but I may be mistaken.

And yes. EVERY GAME should be on PC.

Interesting. I like that Gears is an anti-war game, but I think the problem is that it's ultimately "hey. You. Have fun, okay?" It's a game built around fun, and it is absurdly fun to play. The audiovisual rewards scream "NICE!" and "AWESOME!" at you when you do nice and awesome things. But... at its core, it's a tragedy. It could have been executed better. I think Gears 3, barring some random plot bits that got left out (seriously, they even ASK why the Queen looked human), and leaving bits behind (why not explore the 'humans may or may not have created the Locust' thing from the second game?)... yeah. Fun game with a narrative that didn't fit well with some of the game's audio barks or gameplay.

Honestly, I like that they're trying to get us to feel something. I do.

But... like... they don't pull it off.

Two simple examples:

• We meet the Spartan IVs. Are we supposed to feel uneasy about this? It feels like we are, but it's mostly just 'hi guys,' and then we don't really interact with them.
  • The Captain randomly hates us and thinks we're an AWOL war machine or something weird. This is never explored. The game clearly wants us to feel happy that he's out of the picture near the end, but other than him going "I don't like you very much..." why should we care that he loses command of the Infinity?

If I were writing the story, I would have, y'know, spent more time with Spartan IVs and the Captain, establishing why he doesn't like us/why we shouldn't like him, and how we should feel around the Spartan IVs (who are apparently there to replace us). There are quite a few other changes I'd make as well. I personally like the whole "Cortana am died" thing, and I know they're doing other stuff with it... but yeah.

Film Crit Hulk once tweeted something about "don't people know how to tell complete stories any more?" My favorite Halo games--1, 3, ODST, and Reach--all told a complete story. Sure, Halo 3 had a bit of backstory, but you could argue the same was true for Combat Evolved.

Halo 4's like "oh, and you have to read this book and that book and..." no. I like the expanded universe. I do. I really would love to see a Halo story with art design driven by Tsutomu Nihei (his work in the Halo OGN introduced me to three of the most incredible manga I've ever had the pleasure of reading); comic, game, film, whatever. I'd love to see it. I'm all for more diversity.

But when it comes to the game... give me one game, with one point, with all the things you need to know in that main campaign. Tell that story. Even if it's part of a larger story, you need to have that kind of focus. A random "I'm the Didact I hate humans for random reasons blah blah blah..." no. You need clear motives, clear... ugh.

It honestly feels like Halo 4's writers need a Writing 101 refresher. I have very little faith in future Halo installments if they're at the helm. Maybe, for giggles, once my own game is finished, I'll work on a Halo game on the side...

DocSeuss

I think they're a little washed out, but that's quite a nice bit of color variance. Sometimes, I think people want extremely saturated cartoon colors.

Chettlar

Banned
I think they're a little washed out, but that's quite a nice bit of color variance. Sometimes, I think people want extremely saturated cartoon colors.

UMMM, have you not played CE anniversary? That is the exact Halo concept I want. It's not cartoony, but it does make the Covenant look very distinct.

My only complaint with Anniversary is some of the forerunner stuff. It's too bright and shiny. I recently played strait through the entire CE campaign on PC, and I really liked the cold, barren feel of the places. Playing Two Betrayals was very interesting (that and SC are my two favorite Halo CE levels) going from dark, depressing to cold, open with that foreign Covenant aesthetic dotting the place.

CE did a fantastic job of making Covenant, UNSC, and Foreunner styles all distinct, thus making you feel just as foreign to the place as the Covenant was. Brilliant, brilliant design.

That took like five minutes to write.

Sorry for typing fast?

I enjoy your posts for the most part (from when I lurked for several years until, like, the day before yesterday), so I don't mind at all. :)

DocSeuss

UMMM, have you not played CE anniversary? That is the exact Halo concept I want. It's not cartoony, but it does make the Covenant look very distinct.

I honestly felt that Halo 3 and ODST had it best. They toned it down a little bit, but at the same time, didn't lose the consistency by creating a lot of random Elite visuals they had in Reach, where the visual language was lost. Anniversary was a bit too... something about the way the pieces don't fit quite together. They jar. Just a bit too much.

My only complaint with Anniversary is some of the forerunner stuff. It's too bright and shiny. I recently played strait through the entire CE campaign on PC, and I really liked the cold, barren feel of the places. Playing Two Betrayals was very interesting (that and SC are my two favorite Halo CE levels) going from dark, depressing to cold, open with that foreign Covenant aesthetic dotting the place.

I used to hate Two Betrayals and Assault on the Control Room until I realized how they worked--putting players in multiple similar permutations and letting them play out radically different. That's when I realized just what kind of game Halo was, and how I'd been playing it wrong.

You're right, though. It's too polished. In Halo, it felt... older.

CE did a fantastic job of making Covenant, UNSC, and Foreunner styles all distinct, thus making you feel just as foreign to the place as the Covenant was. Brilliant, brilliant design.

Right. Everyone has their own design language. It's gotten muddled with Reach and 4. The races need to contrast, but still feel... real. It's hard to get at what I mean. I feel that ODST is the game that did this best of all.

I enjoy your posts for the most part (from when I lurked for several years until, like, the day before yesterday), so I don't mind at all. :)

Awesome. Do you know me from GAF first and foremost, or is it Kotaku, or somewhere else?

Chettlar

Banned
I'm really glad I got a digital copy of Reach from Microsoft for free (disc size enhancement beta test thingies). Even if I sell my disc, I've still got a copy.

Thing is, when I sit down with friends, and it's all "hey, what do I want to play?" Well... Reach is the game I go for. And it's frustrating, because I look at Halo 4, and it's like "yeah, I want to co-op this..." but when I actually go through and think about the level design, it's... I dunno. Nothing comes to mind. Nothing makes me go "yes, this is a great level, and I want to co-op this." Contrast that with Reach, where I'm like "oh oh oh, I know, let's play this and then that and then those!"

Reach is so damn fun. I know everybody talks about it being linear, but being a person who literally starves for approaching things as I want to (and having it be different everytime), I still very much enjoyed it.

Conversely, except for a few levels like Tsavo Highway, I hated Halo 3. Ok, rephrase. I really enjoyed Halo 3, but every time I replay a level it just...plays the same. I recently started playing on Heroic, and it's very, very fun, but....After having been introduced to the series on CE...It came up lacking.

It's really hard to explain. Halo 3 is nice and open, with few corridors, and yet it feels linear. Halo CE (and Reach, for that matter) is full of corridors, and yet feels open. It's actually somewhat exciting for me in an odd way, because it's helped me to realize that linearity is not just a physical thing. The Library, is about as corridor-y as you can get, and yet it's a brilliant, open, sandbox level. Some find it boring. I find it wonderfully refreshing -- though sometime frustrating at how quickly the flood kill you. I would much rather there be tons and tons of flood (I mean, hey, they are called "flood") rather than a relative small amount [not much more than the amount of covenant seen before and after] that can somehow kill you much faster with the exact. same. weapons as the covenant.

(I'm still writing, but I'm worried my computer will crash and loose everything).

IRQ

Banned
Am so looking forward to this.

The only thing halo need in my opinion is:

Amazing storytelling. Think gow,mgs,uncharted.

Go back to what made halo Halo. Innovation, sandbox levels, no corridor shooter. Mystery with some taste of horror, Remember the first time we met the flood?
EXPLANATION EXPLORATION EXPLORATION. Halo got these amazing places, but no exploration, remember the silent cartographer?
Unpredictable enemies.

Chettlar

Banned
Halo 4 is the only game I don't want to co-op with. It and Halo 2 are the only ones I refuse to replay. The checkpointing's bad, the enemies are bullet sponges, the visual language has been broken up in bits and pieces, the levels just aren't that fun (like, um, y'know that bit where you're just doing random, abstract teleportion and shooting people? It's not fun at all)... Plus there's the way that the story just seems to be missing its entire second act (second and third if we're going five-act here).

I really need to play Halo 2's campaign. If only I can get it to work. Damnit. Bought the game and can't get it to work on 8.1. I think I need to work out something with the installation. Interesting enough, deleting one of the dll files helps. Interesting.

Still, even if it has bad level design (Go read Karl's evaluation of it in the Halo Community thread. It's pretty good), I love how Halo 2 does it's story, from what I've seen of it. I wish Halo had more of that. So many of the other games seemed to lack a fleshed out story. Like...Halo 3 doesn't even show you Gravemind or even explain who the hell he is.

And I really hope Arby is back for another Halo.

Plus, there's this way that Halo and Halo 3 both change up their combat language that makes them the best games in the series: go along, get used to an enemy type, meet a new enemy, then mix both languages together to create a compelling experience.

Halo 4's just like "hey here are three new enemies; space dogs, space knights, and that other one so unmemorable I actually forgot it."

I really wish I had the opportunity to sit down with the Halo guys and just kinda walk through the games, understand their decisions, and stuff like that. I'd really like to see where they're coming from and why they made the choices they did.

Seriously, if I had a plane ticket and a day to play through the game and chat with 'em, I'd totally do it.

Same. I think there are a lot of people who should get that chance, but if I had to choose, like, 5 people I get to send to do that type of thing, yeah, I'd be interested to see what you would do with the chance.

And I do agree Halo 3 had the right idea of switching up it's gameplay, like you say, but I really feel like the way CE handled it was superior.

Interesting. I like that Gears is an anti-war game, but I think the problem is that it's ultimately "hey. You. Have fun, okay?" It's a game built around fun, and it is absurdly fun to play. The audiovisual rewards scream "NICE!" and "AWESOME!" at you when you do nice and awesome things. But... at its core, it's a tragedy. It could have been executed better. I think Gears 3, barring some random plot bits that got left out (seriously, they even ASK why the Queen looked human), and leaving bits behind (why not explore the 'humans may or may not have created the Locust' thing from the second game?)... yeah. Fun game with a narrative that didn't fit well with some of the game's audio barks or gameplay.

It's not as bad as 4, actually, (this whole inconsistent story vs. game thing); I was just trying to think of an example.

Didn't play the entire 3 campaign, but yes things like why the Queen looked human made me go "whoa, wait....there's a connection? What? Let's see this." And then...there was nothing to see. :/ I didn't play GoW 1 and 2, so I missed that other part.

Great idea; poorly executed > "gi;pe" should totally be a thing. I might just start using it.

Honestly, I like that they're trying to get us to feel something. I do.

But... like... they don't pull it off.

Two simple examples:

• We meet the Spartan IVs. Are we supposed to feel uneasy about this? It feels like we are, but it's mostly just 'hi guys,' and then we don't really interact with them.

Not to mention they're all flat, douche characters.

[*]The Captain randomly hates us and thinks we're an AWOL war machine or something weird. This is never explored. The game clearly wants us to feel happy that he's out of the picture near the end, but other than him going "I don't like you very much..." why should we care that he loses command of the Infinity?
[/LIST]

If I were writing the story, I would have, y'know, spent more time with Spartan IVs and the Captain, establishing why he doesn't like us/why we shouldn't like him, and how we should feel around the Spartan IVs (who are apparently there to replace us). There are quite a few other changes I'd make as well. I personally like the whole "Cortana am died" thing, and I know they're doing other stuff with it... but yeah.

Which is exactly what 343 should have done and failed at.

Film Crit Hulk once tweeted something about "don't people know how to tell complete stories any more?" My favorite Halo games--1, 3, ODST, and Reach--all told a complete story. Sure, Halo 3 had a bit of backstory, but you could argue the same was true for Combat Evolved.

I don't know why people shit on Reach's story. I enjoyed it. It had it's problems, but it was good I thought. At least it was a story. It had something that 4 didn't, despite being inferior on many surface levels.

And Halo 3's story was about as unfleshed out as a story can be. Stop the ring from firing. Yay.

But I don't complain about that, however. Since, ya know, 3 was originally "act 3" of Halo 2, and thus would have made much more sense.

When I mentioned 2's fleshed out story I most certainly wasn't suggesting adding a bunch more cut scenes. Halo could always use with less of those, but there are ways to tell a rich story while still cutting down on cut scenes.

Halo 4's like "oh, and you have to read this book and that book and..." no. I like the expanded universe. I do. I really would love to see a Halo story with art design driven by Tsutomu Nihei (his work in the Halo OGN introduced me to three of the most incredible manga I've ever had the pleasure of reading); comic, game, film, whatever. I'd love to see it. I'm all for more diversity.

But when it comes to the game... give me one game, with one point, with all the things you need to know in that main campaign. Tell that story. Even if it's part of a larger story, you need to have that kind of focus. A random "I'm the Didact I hate humans for random reasons blah blah blah..." no. You need clear motives, clear... ugh.

Granted it was their first game, I'll give them that, but 343 showed a lot of incompetency when they mistook "paying homage to" and "tying the story into" the lore for "Make the lore the central thing." Then again, what can you expect for a company that was, up to that point, responsible for nothing but lore?

It honestly feels like Halo 4's writers need a Writing 101 refresher. I have very little faith in future Halo installments if they're at the helm. Maybe, for giggles, once my own game is finished, I'll work on a Halo game on the side...

Someday I will storm Microsoft as CEO and then drop down through the ranks as Creative director and have you as Story and Level design lead lol.

But seriously, no, I do think you have a handle on what makes Halo so great. You should drop into the Halo community thread more often. :)

Awesome. Do you know me from GAF first and foremost, or is it Kotaku, or somewhere else?

Almost about the same time. Probably GAF first, since I don't visit Kotaku near as often.

I wish you would post here more often.

I honestly felt that Halo 3 and ODST had it best. They toned it down a little bit, but at the same time, didn't lose the consistency by creating a lot of random Elite visuals they had in Reach, where the visual language was lost. Anniversary was a bit too... something about the way the pieces don't fit quite together. They jar. Just a bit too much.

I have to disagree here. While I almost feel that yes, something was off, it was pretty much perfect.

Did you here the thing where somebody told Marty (as the simple instructions for the OST): "Ancient, Epic, Alien" ?

I've just been thinking about this, and realizing how much that was really a factor of Halo itself.

Ancient: Forerunners. Epic: Everything, and I feel like it could have applied to the UNSC. Alien: Covenant. I absolutely loved CE's aesthetic, and I really thought 343 did a fantastic job recreating it.

I'm going to get flak for this, but Halo 3 is an ugly game. :/ It just is. Halo 2 is as well, but not the same way. The lighting in Halo 3 is this weird yellow that so many other games of the time seem to have (like GRID, which was good looking otherwise) -- around 2007-09.

ODST has a cool aesthetic though, but much two dark for a mainline Halo. I like how well it was implemented. That interesting combination of Jazz, Suburban surroundings, Dark and rainy atmosphere -- very well done.

---

Long post is long. Lol. It's not just because of you, though. I post long posts anyway.

Am so looking forward to this.

The only thing halo need in my opinion is:

Amazing storytelling. Think gow,mgs,uncharted.

Except I hope they don't try to act like uncharted. Uncharted and MGS style stories just would not fit Halo's style of story telling. I prefer to refer more two 2's story.

Besides, we've seen how 343 handled Halo 4's pretty abysmal story. I would much rather they focus on Halo's level and multiplayer design for right now.

Go back to what made halo Halo. Innovation, sandbox levels, no corridor shooter. Mystery with some taste of horror, Remember the first time we met the flood?
EXPLANATION EXPLORATION EXPLORATION. Halo got these amazing places, but no exploration, remember the silent cartographer?
Unpredictable enemies.

And that's the beauty of Halo's enemies though! Unpredictable can mean anything, but in Halo it means intelligent enemies that, while it's hard to predict them, you can almost always "learn them" as you would a real opponent. I have always enjoyed fighting Halo's enemies.

Silent Cartographer is good, but I think they need to also go for the open feel of....that one level. The one where you're in this canyon and there are banshees and turrets and wraiths everywhere. You have to steal a Banshee and fly up and there's this kind of Island/Mesa thing where there's like a gold elite and a bunch of unused Banshee's at the top. That level is LOADS of fun. I want to go play it again.

SpartanN92

Banned
Single player: Make it Halo CE sense of Mystery, Halo 2 level of plot, Halo 3 set pieces, Halo Reach's visual design, ODST's likeable characters and Halo 4's emotion.

Multiplayer: No more armor mods/abilities/sprint/bloom/Loadouts/Mantis

Keep Assassinations. BR starts. Halo Reach AR.

Perfect Halo Game

Chettlar

Banned
Single player: Make it Halo CE sense of Mystery, Halo 2 level of plot, Halo 3 set pieces, Halo Reach's visual design, ODST's likeable characters and Halo 4's emotion.

Multiplayer: No more armor mods/abilities/sprint/bloom/Loadouts/Mantis

Keep Assassinations. BR starts. Halo Reach AR.

Perfect Halo Game

Add "Halo CE's enemy encounters" and change "visual design (including the AR) to CEA's" and we're good. I would like a few of Reach's weapons though (Needle Rifle done better and the grenade launcher, and Halo 4's DMR [that looks like Reach's DMR]).

Otherwise I agree perfectly.

You do mean BR starts only in BR game types right? Like, don't replace AR/pistol starts.

rokkerkory

YESSSS PLEASE STINKLES GIVES US THE LOVE WE WANT!!!

Halo 1's sense of scale and combat variation

Halo 2's surprises, dual wielding and music

Halo 3's well nothing from Halo 3 please (Brutes were booboo) except for maybe the music

Halo 4's characters and emotion, animation, gfx style

Get rid of loadouts / armor crap, add unique mp maps, mechs.

Also, please give us Halo 2 remake in 1080p 60fps glory <3

I will buy an X1 right away if most of this is true. TIA

trinest

Should I play Halo 4? I have it, won it in a competition ages back. Didn't like the original Halo games, but the movie was the first time I was genuinely interested in the lore (obviously it wasn't an amazing movie but still, first time Halo was interesting for me).

Chettlar

Banned
Should I play Halo 4? I have it, won it in a competition ages back. Didn't like the original Halo games, but the movie was the first time I was genuinely interested in the lore (obviously it wasn't an amazing movie but still, first time Halo was interesting for me).

If you have it you should probably try it.

Or give it to somebody else like me. ;)

Top Bottom