• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Gameplay Demo (E3 2015)

Pez

If I remember correctly Gaf ranked The Order above Halo 5 on that list of most anticipated games for 2015. I think that tells you everything you need to know about how representative Gaf is for the wider gaming market. Gaf is great because it has some really amazing members who care deeply about gaming, but if you only paid attention to this forum you'd be convinced that Shenmue 3 would outsell Madden. The PS4 subreddit's top post in the post E3 discussion thread was 'Microsoft won", but here on Gaf people are losing their minds because of the "holy trinity". Different groups value different games, so I don't think a lack of enthusiasm for Halo on this forum tells us anything except there's a lack of enthusiasm for Halo on this incredibly niche, ultra-hardcore, Japanese enamored gaming forum. We'll have to wait and see how Halo 5 sells before we can say anything more.

GAF is interested in the games that do something new in the industry and take risks, not the work horses that keep it afloat.

Glass

I'd say that's worked out for the best for everyone then, because the voice over in the ad was great.

I know not everyone needs to have a voice as bad ass as Master Chiefs, but when this character is on level footing with the Chief, and is surrounded by characters like the Arbiter, I'm glad they've gone with another 'epic' voice.

In the Gameinformer preview, when Chief breaks through the rocks and 'sees' Cortana he's alone.. but its implied maybe he's dreaming or something.. or maybe his geas are influencing his thoughts? I could see another such sequence playing out like the teaser trailer.. him alone in the desert.. searching [in his mind] for a way to bring back Cortana, and suddenly A WILD GUARDIAN APPEARS!

Or something like that, or it could have just been a teaser for teaser sake.

I'd love to see some levels where MC is lost in thought, we don't know if we're playing a real mission of playing through his dreams. Could mix things up nicely, but it might not fit the direction they are going in.

link1201

Seriously? Holy shit.

My hype just shot through the roof for the single player. I was wondering why the team interactions felt so similar, I just figured someone happened across a copy of RC and decided to implement some of those aspects.

If you're interested The Sprint series has quite a bit of footage with him in it. The overall series is also very well done imo. It's worth checking out even if you're just interest in a small bts look at game development.

Danny 117

GAF is interested in the games that do something new in the industry and take risks, not the work horses that keep it afloat.

That is a generalisation though, there are many members here who look forward to their annual CoD, Halo etc. I do agree that there is a very vocal section of GAF that appreciates these risk takers.

There was a thing waaaaay bigger than a scarab stamping destructible buildings in the "fluttercut" after the demo. And you get to fight it.

In a wide open area. With lots of routes and strategies..
For those who havent the trailer on their mind atm, he refers to that thing:
530clMh.jpg

TKqrZqA.jpg

Leyasu

Banned
Halo 5 carbine zoomed with ADS versus H2A carbine zoomed classic. I mean I guess you can make the argument that you have more 'clarity' in Halo 5 since the screen isn't darkened with an effect in H2A, but if you look at the middle, your FoV in H2A isn't blocked by anything. You see clearly through the scope areas as well as the visual info on all sides (top, bottom, left right), whereas in Halo 5, the entire bottom middle is blocked.

If we're talking lore, gameplay, futuristic perspective, obviously H2A makes more sense. If the sides weren't darkened, you get clear field of view and lines of sight. I don't bring it up because I don't understand why it's in. I know why it's there. I always just said the previous solutions were better visually. ADS has added nothing in my opinion. And you see I explain it without having to insult or name call the devs?

The top photo is much better imo. You can see much around it.

That scope caught my eye in the demo and I instantly liked it.

Halo 5 carbine zoomed with ADS versus H2A carbine zoomed classic. I mean I guess you can make the argument that you have more 'clarity' in Halo 5 since the screen isn't darkened with an effect in H2A, but if you look at the middle, your FoV in H2A isn't blocked by anything. You see clearly through the scope areas as well as the visual info on all sides (top, bottom, left right), whereas in Halo 5, the entire bottom middle is blocked.

If we're talking lore, gameplay, futuristic perspective, obviously H2A makes more sense. If the sides weren't darkened, you get clear field of view and lines of sight. I don't bring it up because I don't understand why it's in. I know why it's there. I always just said the previous solutions were better visually. ADS has added nothing in my opinion. And you see I explain it without having to insult or name call the devs?

I think the functionality is perfectly fine, and I don't care about lore. I was just talking aesthetics. Just nitpicking really, I like things to look cool, that's what being a Spartan is all about right? I didn't mean to insult anyone by saying it looked like a toy scope (if that's what you were implying), I just thought the design was funky.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Just started playing ODST (heroic) for the first time in anticipation for this. Damn this shit is hard.

I had to watch speedrun videos for some mission and tried to avoid the action as much as possible. That shit is indeed hard.

Madness

I think the functionality is perfectly fine, and I don't care about lore. I was just talking aesthetics. Just nitpicking really, I like things to look cool, that's what being a Spartan is all about right? I didn't mean to insult anyone by saying it looked like a toy scope (if that's what you were implying), I just thought the design was funky.

No, no. It's all good, I was speaking about something else. Was just talking about both scopes, comparing them. I'm not necessarily a fan of seeing iron sights on screen in particular.

Haruko

Colter is face, Amadi is voice. We deferred to his Luke Cage schedule because he's a cool guy and it's a huge break. Ike is amazing and was one of our faves during first auditions and so far reaction to his voice has been fantastic .

Thanks for clearing that up; makes total sense, and I'm happy both of them get to be a part of Halo

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Is there any digital limited collector's edition? I am too old for having these statues laying around, but I still want the digital goodies.

Wizman23

Banned
Is there any digital limited collector's edition? I am too old for having these statues laying around, but I still want the digital goodies.

Other then the animated series, Both special editions seem pointless to me. The fact that there is no DLC/ season pass included makes me smile ear to ear that they are 100% not bullshitting us on FREE DLC.

Madness

I knew I should have pre-ordered Halo 5 last year or earlier this year. Apparently the prices will definitely be $74.99 to $79.99 this holiday because our dollar is speculated to drop a lot come September.

Amazon had Halo 5 for $64.99 two days ago during their promotion, but amazon sucks for shipping in Canada and very rarely do you get games within launch week. I'd rather pre-order and pick up at midnight but I'll now have to shell out an extra $5-10 for no reason other than dollar speculation by publishers.

LordOfChaos

Done all the sprints, that looks like such a fun software development environment. And casual wear!

Programming medical information portals isn't quite so exciting :(

Done all the sprints, that looks like such a fun software development environment. And casual wear!

Programming medical information portals isn't quite so exciting :(

Yeah, makes me regret not going into game design. Hell, got my master's degree in organizational sciences the other day, I would do anything to get a job opportunity at 343 (I know you're reading this, Frankie. ANYTHING).

Also, if the music littered throughout the 'Sprint' series is a further indication of what we can expect in Halo 5, count me excited, Kazuma.

Bsigg12

Do we have a list of preorder bonuses yet?

Amazon has this, it's called a Projection SMG with long barrel

Large image warning if clicked

Gamestop has The Sentinel Battle Rifle with Laser Targeter and the Bloodthirst Battle Rifle Weapon Skin.

Halo5_sentrifle_bonusLG.jpg

As well as what seems to be instant access to Locke's armor in multiplayer

Raide

I am guessing around the Rooster Teeth Expo, starts August 7th.

That would be great. As much as I cannot wait for the Solo side and Warzone. It is really Forge that drives me to play more Halo. I pray every time they mention Forge that is a good update and the basic hints I have heard so far is that its not an iterative update like the previous Forge's and that fills me with hope and crazy excitement.

That would be great. As much as I cannot wait for the Solo side and Warzone. It is really Forge that drives me to play more Halo. I pray every time they mention Forge that is a good update and the basic hints I have heard so far is that its not an iterative update like the previous Forge's and that fills me with hope and crazy excitement.

I only took a stab at Rooster Teeth Expo simply because that is where they have revealed Forge in the past. I hope they make Forge be a real next-gen version of the previous iterations. Though, personally, I have never been a Forge guy.

greenleafcm

Neo Member
It's not so much about me doubting there will be large environments. I know they'll be there, I was wondering more about MC out on his own, no back up, just him, the remnants of Cortana and memories as his fights through his grief and uncovers new mysteries.

Ah, that's fair enough and thanks for clarifying. I really like that idea and I'm not entirely opposed to the team dynamic either, gives me serious Republic Commando vibes. That's an extremely good thing, more games need to look to RC for inspiration. Still bums me out we didn't get sequels to that incredible and so underrated game.

One thing, can you say if we will see any solo missions with just MC or will the team always be by his side?

The thing people need to understand about Master Chief is that he is absolutely not a lone wolf by nature. He was trained to be part of a team, spent the majority of his career as part of a team, and has only elected to go it alone when the circumstances give him no better option. So this game really is a return to form for him, canonicaly speaking. Having Blue Team back by his side doesn't prevent him from dealing with his memories or discovering new mysteries - in fact by having his closest friends with him there's no better way to continue to explore and develop his character, as well as equip him with what he needs to tackle even bigger challenges. Hopefully this is just the beginning of Blue Team's adventures together in the games.

It's already been confirmed each team will be present for the entire game. Can't really have a game that's "built from the ground up for cooperative play" with a JIP system for campaign and then remove that aspect for a few levels.

greenleafcm

Neo Member
Awesome effect, I love the Kelly helmet! I think maybe they can simply give the option to the players to choose if they want this effect but sadly I believe they removed to have a better gameplay experience which I can understand for the gameplay.

Actually I think it has been confirmed each character does have a unique HUD. Wouldn't make sense to see the outline of Chief's helmet (where you can see brim of his visor and such) when playing as Kelly in her EVA-esque armor.

Top Bottom