• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Gameplay Demo (E3 2015)

If 1080p 60fps its quite impressive (if it can improve aliasing )

nice lighting, and a surprising number of particles and other effects and most important of all it looks fun, the enemies are varied and theres those quirky little grunts lol.

I hope there's even bigger scale battle with a ton going on , on screen.

Definitely not 1080p. Subnative res was clear even in super compressed stream.

I'm glad that 343 has taken the legitimate hype (unfortunate launch aside) of the MCC and used that to tune H5. It's been far too long since I've been excited for some Halo multiplayer.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Watching the b roll, pre e3 impressions weren't joking, the plasma repeater heats up quick! Also, dig the new plasma launcher shown in the campaign footage. Lastly, glad to see the needler seems to be the ultracawesome h4 version

Stinkles just wanted to explain myself because i did make a grand claim earlier so in addition to that link to halo gaf in which you faced the same accusations (which means that there are posters on gaf that believe you lie which in turn made my belief stronger when i saw that im not alone) my wrong assumption came mostly from stuff like this: http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=112176703

Now looking at it now i can see that you werent really lying because you didnt make any statement but as you can see a lot of people took that as you denying cboat's rumour which was the same impression i got. So when the stuff he leaked gets announced the following day a rather big number of people that saw your post will take it as if you were lying. So you can see the problem in these pseudo-denials of teases/leaks (and this wasnt the only one).

Anyway i wont make that assumption again but you can see why i wont take these kinds of posts at face value again i hope :)

pringles

I'm actually surprised that it has to be explained that this 5 minute demo doesn't represent the entire scope and scale of the full game.
To be fair it was a pretty bad stage demo. It didn't have many of the things that most people love about Halo, and it had several things that people disliked in Halo 4. It would have been much better to just show something that represents the scope and scale of the full game instead of thinking people need to see a simple, linear section to understand what Halo is about after 15 years.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I haven't played any since Halo 2 and this looks pretty great to me.

That barely resembled the Halo I know.

- Enormous God of War-like setpieces
- A linear scripted level
- Squad based combat
- Gimmicky sequences that interrupt gameplay
- More awful Prometheans
- Unremarkable music that disappears into the background
- Everything's so busy and shiny

How am I supposed to explore the environments with my squad barking at me all the time? Where's the open level design that promotes sandbox gameplay? Is all that scripted stuff really going to be enjoyable on the fifth, tenth, or thirtieth replay? Why can't we have a campaign full of levels like The Silent Cartographer and Assault on the Control Room?

The game looks well made on the surface, but judging by that demo alone, 343 seems to have doubled down on a lot of the things I didn't like in Halo 4. I'm very uneasy about Halo 5 now. This doesn't look like the back-to-basics sequel I wanted. Bungie's imprint on the series seems all but gone.

4 pages in 5 hours :-|

Speaks volumes

Halo is a dying breed.

Because they keep going in the total opposite direction from what the community is begging them to do.

Shades of Destiny in that PVE...

Destiny, Cod, Titanfall, Republic Commando... Why can they not come up with something original or at least keep it Halo?

You will be more than satisfied on that score, I suspect.
Why not show that though? :/

*sigh*

Is what it is. Warzone looks really great at least.

Right, why show what you know 100% is where a lot of people don't want to see Halo go. E3 is a showcase right? So why show a scripted CoD type action sequence if you don't want people to think a lot of the game is like that. Why not show Chief unless most of the game you are playing as Locke?

LordOfChaos

Still no 60fps direct upload of the gameplay? Even the Xbox official youtube upload looks more compressed than youtube-normal, and is only 30fps.

JTripper

So, like, wtf is included in the limited and collector's editions?

If the DLC maps are going to be free, I guess the game might not have a season pass to include in the limited edition to justify the price?

Detective

Ok, Now that I have watched the reveal again I must say graphically underwhelming.

Looking at other titles Like UC, MGS And Horizon Halo looks really outdated, Which makes me very sad actually. I know its FPS VS TPS but even so, its just not screaming next Gen to me.

Am talking graphics only.
Well..Day one as always for halo titles..

Can't believe I'm saying this..

But this doesn't look good at all. =/

HOWEVER I have hopes yet- the concept of a squad of Spartans is great, and I'm thrilled Buck is returning. I'm just flabbergasted by this e3 showing.. it was so run of the mill, and did nothing for me. I know the whole game won't be this scripted, but even the scripted bits were uninspired to me. I dunno what to think right now.

El_Chino

Really, after Halo 4 and MCC? People wanted to get their socks knocked off. Instead, they see more CoD influence.

People still love Halo, how shocking can that be really?

You have nothing but negative things to say whenever anything Halo related is announced.

Hubble

The campaign is every bit as dynamic and often more so. Demo is a clean, easy to understand slice of a fairly linear and small part of that level.

That is good to hear but to be frank, the demo was really underwhelming. I'm just not sure what to say or what everyone at 343 is thinking. You have Halo. You are already half way there. You already have a highly recognizable golden franchise. Unlike many, you do not have to try to sell a new IP at E3 like for example, No Man's Sky, or Cuphead. You don't have to explain it, or even introduce a new game and its story and lore. That is the most challenging. You do not have to educate people on what Halo is, well perhaps a little since you're changing a lot from its art direction, squad mechanics, to changing its gameplay (no more floaty mechanics) confusing many, but not really.

To get to my point, you have to think what can I show at E3 that will steal the show? What kind of demo can I reveal that will wow everyone? I have Halo! That should be very well possible. Seriously, I should have seen Halo trending on Twitter today like other games were. It is a massive franchise! 11 hours ago, Tomb Raider, Cuphead, Beyond Eyes, EA Access were trending, and nope, not Halo. What would make it standout to other live gameplay demos, but be Halo? What will make it incredibly bold? What kind of reveal can I create that will bring back Halo chilled feelings to the audience?

And it just did not do that. Not even close. Instead you ran around as Locke, where many people do not even know who he is and were seeing these awkward robotic but not Promothean enemies, that look like they are in their own universe than the one with the covenant or the flood (I am not opposed to new enemy types but its style does not look from the same universe). Honestly, Halo could have been the talk of the show; the talk of e3. I would think showing things such as hijacking a Ghost flying away, getting into a warthog with a flag and driving off and the cap notification flashing across the screen to gain excitement from the audience, the energy sword being used on a banshee or on a promothean, more covenant enemy types that we love and charm, etc., or a short multiplayer montage explaining the various wide playlists and gametypes, some of which are just pure fun for the casual player along with the single player demo. Something along those lines to make it not only feel like epic Halo, but to bring back those Halo feels.

The demo was certainly not terrible, it was okay, but just easily forgotten. I don't see media outlets discussing Halo 5 with much attention like other games, or like Halo in the past during the week. And to me, that is a failure. I think it is telling when the Gears of War 4 gameplay, which is coming out NEXT year has more pages than Halo 5, which is only months away. Excitement should be raging like other game threads but is less.

I wish 343 had a studio head like Rod Fergusson and I encourage you to take a peek from an interview today with Geoff Keighley- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WkS9Sf2ffo&feature=youtu.be&t=1m40s

He has a lot of experience.

"Geoff: You are obviously a veteran of the Gears franchise. You have been through the history of Gears. What do you want Gears of War to stand for when moving forward?
Rod: Ah well we really want it to stand on its own. When I came over to this studio, we looked at what other things we could have done with it, but then it lost a little bit of its luster, then we looked at other successful games and thought, should we chase that or should we chase this. One of the things is I stood in front of the team and said we don't follow. Let's really embrace what Gears is. Maybe that means a slightly smaller audience but it means we have much more deep in the passion, and you see that by asking how many more fans need tattoos. So it's the sort of feeling to embrace what Gears really is instead of chasing other people."

Do you want Halo to stand for sprint, to stand for squad mechanics, and as Rod said, lose its luster, or do you want it to stand for Halo with a strong identity? Of course it is much more complex than this but you get the point and it is quite ironic, since most people think of no sprint when they think of Halo, as its identity, and now it is standing for something different.

It's crazy how weak this Halo reveal was (made evident by the fact that there's not a lot to talk about, and how dead this thread is). The color palette was drab, the scale of the fights shown was not particularly large, and they showed a cinematic running/everything exploding sequence.

I'm really hoping for more campaign demos throughout the week. I'm interested in the Master Chief level shown to the press pre-E3.

Disappointed to see that they didn't give Arby's elites a different set of armor. What's with giving them the exact same outfit as the enemies? Or least change their goofy looking helmets to something closer to their H2/H3 look.

Thought they were going to sport their own separate gear like in Hunters in the Dark or look the way they did in Blur's cutscene.

halo-hunters-cvr-thumb-542x305-d311edae6a8648dcba8cd6cf81357c24.jpg

18664721800_3415072055_b.jpg

18666245169_0011e5715c_b.jpg

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
I think if this reveal and the Game Informer piece were swapped, both release wise and content wise, there may have been a bit more hype. Have the first look at the campaign gameplay be at E3 with the Chief, Blue Team, Cortana, a glimpse of the multiple paths etc... then have the Game Informer article afterwards so it doesn't steal the thunder. I guess the difficulty comes from deciding on what story beats to share in what medium and trying to juggle the timing.

The trailer parts at the opening and closing of this demo were pretty good I thought, it was just the linear gameplay snippet played on auto-win difficulty that was a bit of a non-event. Misc things that others probably noticed: Ghost of Cortana reflected in Chief's visor in the cave, Halsey present on the edge of the shot whilst Locke was fighting Jul, what looks like a white + red Spartan Laser in the multi, Halo 1 style dropship with nifty sequential door opening animation.

Also, there are a number of character and weapon renders up on waypoint for those into that sort of thing.

Top Bottom