• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians Beta Thread | Hot Red on Blue Action

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
game seems fun from the 3 games I played. I'll need to see a BTB map before I can have solid impression of the game

rumors suggest that BTB will be going larger scale. i'm super excited to see what this looks like

Stuck on this screen when I try to play, servers bugging out?

CthRK6t.jpg

Septic360

Banned
My days is this getting annoying. The game works so well when it's connected to a game in my region. When it's a US server, the whole thing goes to shit.

Forget all the other balancing stuff. SORT THIS OUT FIRST.

My days is this getting annoying. The game works so well when it's connected to a game in my region. When it's a US server, the whole thing goes to shit.

Forget all the other balancing stuff. SORT THIS OUT FIRST.

agreed, allow us to pick a region 343i so we can garentee close proxy servers.

In celebration of the Beta / CE announcements, go to your local GameStop this week / weekend and get a nice Halo 5 poster with brand new artwork

HoZq57X.jpg

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Welp, Halo as we know it is officially gone forever, it seems.

That's not to say Halo 5 is a bad game - my first impressions are okay - but it's certainly not the Halo of old.

In my opinion:

Halo 2 > Halo CE > Halo Reach > Halo 3 > Halo 4

Halo 2 is one of my Top Ten favorite games of all time. LOVED that game. Halo CE was a blast, and is a fantastic game; just not quite as much "fun" as it sequel. Then there's a big drop for me... I liked Reach's Invasion mode, but the maps were garbage. Halo 3 felt like a step back from Halo 2 in a lot of ways for me, and felt very "same-y," so that's why it comes in behind. And Halo 4 was a decent title, but felt too far removed from its predecessors. I hoped that would change with 5.

Nope.

Played a handful of games on each map, but there' just too much here that takes away from the core experience for me.

First off, there's way too much on the screen. It has Killzone syndrome. I have markers and arrows and bloom and dust and reflections and things moving outside windows and the illusion of speed and a visor and whatnot. I hate that. I like a very barebones HUD - and this is anything but.

Grendade spam. Grenades. Grenades.

The time to kill is way too low, especially when up against an SMG. I've gotten the drop on several people already with the SMG, and it's basically a guaranteed kill. I hate "I saw you first, so I get a guaranteed kill" gameplay. You should always have a chance to turn the tide.

Hate ADS. Hate it. Takes away from the feel of Halo. The time to get into Sniper ADS seems like AGES.

Boost is okay, I guess. Doesn't really seem to add much. It's just there. Only thing it does is frustrate, IMO.

Announcing when power weapons are coming? lol... I don't want faux choke points. It seems to unnaturally move the central battles, and I don't care for "racing" to things all the time.

Overall, though, my biggest issue is that it's just way too damn fast. This has been the gradual progression of Halo through the ages, I'm aware. But going back to Halo CE from this, and you'll immediately recall the feeling of slow, steady gameplay. Strategy. Map control. Stealthy maneuvering. The perfect sniping spot. The balanced choke points. The team work to even get to a place on the map, and then owning it.

Halo 5 already feels too much like "spawn, shoot, shoot, kill, die, repeat." I know it's popular. And I know people will like it. But, honestly, it's not for me. Makes me sad.

There's a lot that's good.

Graphics are very nice, especially for this early.

Control is as tight as ever.

Sound design is nice.

The rumble triggers feel awesome... or whatever they're called.

I like the chatter - seems a bit "bro," but it is helpful and a nice band-aid to a poor use of microphones.

343 is a very competent studio. I think it's important that I don't think they're "ruining" Halo, or that they're incapable of making what I want. They have wonderful artists and engineers and developers. But it's obvious they're not *trying* to make a Halo game similar to the original titles. It's clear they want to take it in a different direction. They want faster gameplay and more thrown at the player and a more "visceral" feel. And that's okay - there's a HUGE audience for that, and I hope it treats them well. Halo 5 might very well turn out to be an exceptional game. It just likely won't be the game that I'd have liked.

abadguy

Banned
Hard reset my console and matchmaking works fine for me. Also put me in with the group who feels the SMG needs to be toned down a bit, it's like a fucking SAW.

jem0208

Overall, though, my biggest issue is that it's just way too damn fast. This has been the gradual progression of Halo through the ages, I'm aware. But going back to Halo CE from this, and you'll immediately recall the feeling of slow, steady gameplay. Strategy. Map control. Stealthy maneuvering. The perfect sniping spot. The balanced choke points. The team work to even get to a place on the map, and then owning it.
Say what?

Halo CE was the fastest Halo by far. It's been steadily getting slower ever since with 4 being a slight exception.

Sai

Ugh, just got destroyed on Truth. I took the brunt of the opposing team's coordinated fire. :/

So... I'm enjoying it. But, it's both Halo, and not Halo.

I've played only 4 matches and it feels the most different of all the Halos in terms of core gunplay and pace. The TTK is slightly too low and the auto aim feels inconsistent across different weapons. The default control setup feels really awkward and scope really shouldn't be there on the AR. Makes gunfights feel too static with that.

Also, it feels like the base player movement should be raised, especially when compared to sprint.

Sai

It's great how the added maneuverability and clambering affords this fast 'n steady flow as you traverse through the maps.

All the beeping noises have to be toned down, I haven't played all that much and it's already gratin' on my nerves.

It's 343i Halo, stop living in the past :p
If I were, I wouldn't be enjoying it. :p

mcrommert

Banned
Some connection issues but getting games

Best thing about when it fails to connect when loading a game is that it shows some nice art and then an epic theme starts playing :)

Top Bottom