• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Guardians: #huntthetruth

Bsigg12

Woah, the knowledge bomb. Thanks for this, I had no idea.

The books have some really cool stuff like the event that he just talked about. A lot of people will never know about that stuff though which is sort of unfortunate and a consequence of having an expanded universe outside of the games.

We need LatinGAF, STAT.

"disturbing rumors, reports of anomalies. Something big is happening in space."

This part has me really wondering what kind of threat we'll be facing. Is it the flood?, Didact? or something different?

My money's on the fleshy Forerunners making a comeback.

Doffen

9bxnvjZ.jpg

The picture from the xbox site

RowdyReverb

Not at all, Locke will be hunting Chief and investigating everything he can about him, we'll probably find out more about Chief in this game than all the others put together.
Yeah, I can see this based on what we've heard so far. That it's about "contextualizing" the Chief. Perhaps he isn't always the playable character, but does it matter all that much if the other playable character is still a spartan and progresses the same story?

In the Kilo-Five novels a pig plot-line is the father of one of the S-II abductees joining the insurrectionists (pre- and post-covy war) to find answers/punish the UNSC after he began piecing things together. Perhaps John's mother or father (both?) will similarly come into play? I wouldn't be surprised if ONI somehow brought his family into the mix what with John going AWOL.

If we're bringing up his family...

Remember that girl he said he'd marry as a child.
She is back!

Savor S Wahst
Savor
Rhymes with Lovor/lover

Imagine though, imagine if she shows up in the game.

I'm really looking forward to this game, I have MCC but I only beat Halo 3 back in 2009 with friends and I did not pay attention to the story. The story that some mega human is kicking alien ass isn't that interesting and when I tried playing MCC from Halo 1 I stopped because I was getting bored. I might have to just watch a video explaining the Halo lore to be ready for 5.

VinFTW

People set up expectations and backlash, not countdowns... Most gameplay reveals are labeled as such. Being this close to E3 I don't know why people would expect they would blow their load now.

Halo has always done this stuff pre-launch, it was obvious it was going to be something like ARG.

People set up expectations and backlash, not countdowns... Most gameplay reveals are labeled as such. Being this close to E3 I don't know why people would expect they would blow their load now.

Halo has always done this stuff pre-launch, it was obvious it was going to be something like ARG.

If it was something big, it would be a Gameinformer/other magazine/IGN First cover story with lots of info. As its not that, I wasn't expecting anything major at all

jem0208

"disturbing rumors, reports of anomalies. Something big is happening in deep space."

This part has me really wondering what kind of threat we'll be facing. Is it the flood?, Didact? or something different?

I doubt Flood, humans have already encountered them loads so "disturbing rumours" doesn't sound Flood-like...

thuway

My main hope is, if they reveal some story in these, they find a way to put it in the game too. Halo 4's main issue (in the story) was so much was left out, people who didn't follow external content had no idea who the Didact, Librarian or anyone was, nor what was happening.

Interesting marketing concept though. I enjoyed "Serial" so if this is a fictional version of that set in the universe I'll give it a shot.

Exactly. 343 did an awesome job evolving the gunplay, visuals, and Universe from the original trilogy. The only issue I had with Halo 4 was how the story unfolded in a rather shoe horned way. The exposition from the Librarian was done also in a really rushed fashion. It was a lot to digest in one cutscene.

I'm hoping Halo 5 organically assimilates the tertiary characters for those us who don't read the novels or follow the story as closely as some of the die hard fans. In any case, the MP is amazing, so if they focus on the narrative issues, I think this game has potential to be a classic.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member

Countdowns don't set expectations...?

And there have been several examples of Halo stuff being shown a few months before E3. It's not unprecedented. Though neither is an ARG leading to more substantial info. Either way, you can't be surprised that some people were expecting something more / different.

singhr1

Agreed, but even as an ARG its a little bit disappointing because of the 3 day countdown. We have:

1. A progression of adjectives on a bullet
  2. Incomplete/complete star maps that we don't know what to do with yet
  3. A recording of a war journalist that intros weekly entries.
It's not much of a "game" when we can't really do much with what is given.

I doubt Flood, humans have already encountered them loads so "disturbing rumours" doesn't sound Flood-like...

Not on a large scale though with the general population.
Two Halos, Ark, Voi, SoF.
Near absolute casualties of those involved. Basically no survivors to talk about it. Most of humanity wouldn't be familiar with the flood.

Glass

Maybe my expectations being too high were my own fault, but I'm not going to be too hard on myself for not thinking a three day countdown and commercial during a little show called The Walking Dead was leading up to an ARG....

However this is an ARG so maybe there's something not discovered yet.

Top Bottom