• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trup1aya

I'm glad i didn't stay up for this update... It's was pretty disappointing...

Doesn't sound like we'll be gettin any new gametypes anytime soon. Hard to believe the game will have been out for over 3 months and there won't be KoTH or oddball... How is that possible?

GavinGT

Banned
I just got the Elite controller :D what are the best settings? for both the button mapping and the paddles position

The following has changed my life:

Upper left paddle: sprint (was on left click)
lower left paddle: zoom in (was on right click)

Paddles on the right side don't work for me because I need a nice firm grip for aiming.

Trup1aya

I think 343 had data showing a lot of the old gametypes weren't played by many people and made a decision to focus on what they launched. Doesn't really fit Infection or Grifball, because a lot of people play those, for whatever fucking reason. But the other stuff, KOTH and such, I'd say that's a small percentage of the MP population. Which pains me, because I think KOTH is far and away the best Halo objective after CTF.

Wow, it just loaded me into a TS match 4v1 and when I quit it docked me 30 fucking points, lame.

It would take some silly interpretation of data to come to that conclusion, but if there's one thing I learning in life, it's that corporations love misinterpreting data...

The allure of the objective playlist has always been that there are a number of objective gametypes to play... So while it may not have been the most played playlist (an thusly it's gametypes aren't most played), it was the place to go for a bit of variety...

variety is what keeps people playing when they get fatigued with their favorite modes...

IHaveIce

Banned
I will be really fucking mad if Grifball and Infection are in game before the legacy gametypes come back.
Fuck fringe gametypes, if one fringe gametype should comeback it should be Ricochet.

Fathom is one of my favorite maps, so I'm kinda excited to see the remix. Hopefully it is not like Overgrowth.

Forge playlist sounds good, but there was a better The Pit

Akai__

Why do they have a hard time porting existing gametypes into Halo 5? The gametypes didn't change much (not at all in some cases) in terms of functionality.

Just a coupple examples:

• KotH stayed, in it's functionality, the same since CE.
  • The only noteable change Oddball ever received was being able to throw it, otherwise the same since CE.
  • Infection. Weird changes that forced Flood skins/tunnel vision on infected players and a claw (Sword) as the only weapon. Couldn't give Zombies any other weapons.
  • Assault. Actually exists since CE in the form of carrying your Flag to the enemy base. Has been changed into carrying a bomb into the enemy base with Halo 2.
  • Grifball. Also stayed pretty much the same (since Halo 3) with the addition of the bomb being throwable (since Halo 4).
  • Territories. Been there since Halo 2. The variation "3 Plots" basically turned into todays Strongholds.
  • Juggernaut/VIP. Probably the least favourite gametypes of Halo history.

All these gametypes already exists. It's not like you have to reinvent them, you just have to make them work in Halo 5. I don't believe for one second that it's a very hard task to do. They probably just happen to have their focus on something else at the moment.

Somehow 343i really likes to start from 0 with every new game, instead of building up on already existing features. And people think/hope they will release a PvE update in Halo 5's life time. lol

Trup1aya

Why do they have a hard time porting existing gametypes into Halo 5? The gametypes didn't change much (not at all in some cases) in terms of functionality.

Just a coupple examples:

• KotH stayed, in it's functionality, the same since CE.
  • The only noteable change Oddball ever received was being able to throw it, otherwise the same since CE.
  • Infection. Weird changes that forced Flood skins/tunnel vision on infected players and a claw (Sword) as the only weapon. Couldn't give Zombies any other weapons.
  • Assault. Actually exists since CE in the form of carrying your Flag to the enemy base. Has been changed into carrying a bomb into the enemy base with Halo 2.
  • Grifball. Also stayed pretty much the same (since Halo 3) with the addition of the bomb being throwable (since Halo 4).
  • Territories. Been there since Halo 2. The variation "3 Plots" basically turned into todays Strongholds.
  • Juggernaut/VIP. Probably the least favourite gametypes of Halo history.

All these gametypes already exists. It's not like you have to reinvent them, you just have to make them work in Halo 5. I don't believe for one second that it's a very hard task to do. They probably just happen to have their focus on something else at the moment.

Somehow 343i really likes to start from 0 with every new game, instead of building up on already existing features. And people think/hope they will release a PvE update in Halo 5's life time. lol

It's truly 'mind bobbling' that they seem to start from scratch despite an obvious market for the things that have been in the series...

People love firefight? Let's scrap it and do Spartan ops... Then let's scrap Spartan ops. People love classic objective Gametypes like KotH and oddball? Let's NOT launch with those... Let's give them strongholds and breakout instead... Things no one asked for.

Hey remember all those cool assets we made for infection in Halo4? Let's just not have infection at all in H5.

Instead of recycling the gametypes that players love guaranteeing a fun, varied, experience. let's recycle map assets, they'll get a kick out of that.

I really wish I could pick the brain of who ever is in charge of making these decisions... Why did they think these things would go over well?

BraXzy

I'd really just like some sort of explanation from 343 as to why stuff like classic gametypes still aren't in yet. Whether it's because there's problems.. Idk.. Making them work in the new engine? Or folks who would program them are busy working on other things?

How many people are at 343 atm? I always get the impression each team is small.

IHaveIce

Banned
I can't think anything else but they held/hold them back on purpose so they have stuff to give out in the montly updates.

But these should have been for New maps, and bigger additions than stuff that was a given for a Halo game.

JaggedSac

If 343 released firefight, it would rank in the top 5 of the playlists. A chill co-op mp mode that offers Reqs, and the ability to see your spartan fully customized outside of FFA would be a huge draw. Firefight would also probably cut into the population of Warzone significantly, which is why we may never see it in H5.

I can dream, I guess. Firefight with Warzone bosses added into the mix seems like it would be amazing. I'm hoping that Gears of War 4 has an amazing Horde mode, so I can get my fix.

Yep. I'd play the shit out of it.

E92 M3

Thoughts on the update:

- Why is FFA so hated lol?
- New armor isn't exciting; REQ cards are a hassle for customization.
- Why did the choose the worst Pit with that dumb aesthetic?
- Where is Oddball?
- Good to see forge maps coming because I am tired of the dreary dev maps.

I would love a Truth only playlist. NEVER gets boring playing on that. Also, they need to add veto. 5 fucking times in a row I had to play on Overgrowth in FFA.

Magwik

Banned
A sustainment plan is absolutely no excuse for game types that have been in Halo for over a decade still not even ready to be in the game months after launch, period. You guys need to stop making excuses for then. This sustainment plan is probably a by-product of knowing they won't be able to launch a full game in time for the holidays. We have a story that felt like a rough draft where the game marketing was more interesting (and misleading), content that should have been included day 1 but still not in months later, BTB being forge maps made by the community cartographers, and then Battle of Noctus being shown off a bit back in August. A sustainment plan, should be new content, not stuff we should have had months ago. Eventually everyone is going to be tired of waiting months just to play infection, it's ridiculous.

Played around seven games this morning. Every single one was a JiP. The last one I couldn't even use req and was stuck at level two.

Fun.

Akai__

It's truly 'mind bobbling' that they seem to start from scratch despite an obvious market for the things that have been in the series...

[...]

I really wish I could pick the brain of who ever is in charge of making these decisions... Why did they think these things would go over well?

All these decisions really don't make any sense.

I'd really just like some sort of explanation from 343 as to why stuff like classic gametypes still aren't in yet. Whether it's because there's problems.. Idk.. Making them work in the new engine? Or folks who would program them are busy working on other things?

How many people are at 343 atm? I always get the impression each team is small.

Bolded: If that is the case, why do gametypes like CTF, Slayer, Strongholds etc. work?

Last we heard was like 200+ people at 343i, I believe.

I can't think anything else but they held/hold them back on purpose so they have stuff to give out in the montly updates.

But these should have been for New maps, and bigger additions than stuff that was a given for a Halo game.

I mean, things like maps and new REQ additions take time, I'll give them that. But they literally have blueprints available for gametypes and now they want to tell us that these things take 3 months to make? Sorry, but I don't believe them for a single moment.

Yep. I'd play the shit out of it.

They would certainly reach a market that is currently not present in Halo.

Trup1aya

A sustainment plan is absolutely no excuse for game types that have been in Halo for over a decade still not even ready to be in the game months after launch, period. You guys need to stop making excuses for then. This sustainment plan is probably a by-product of knowing they won't be able to launch a full game in time for the holidays. We have a story that felt like a rough draft where the game marketing was more interesting (and misleading), content that should have been included day 1 but still not in months later, BTB being forge maps made by the community cartographers, and then Battle of Noctus being shown off a bit back in August. A sustainment plan, should be new content, not stuff we should have had months ago. Eventually everyone is going to be tired of waiting months just to play infection, it's ridiculous.

I don't think anyone is making excuses for them... Just speculating about their thought process...

I think we can all agree that launching with all the game modes we know and love would have been the best move. They would then sustain the population with new maps and new game modes.

I think we all agree that launching with unproven (and now, apparently unpopular modes) INSTEAD of modes that fans EXPECT was not a good idea... Assuming that fans will wait 3+ months for those game types is just silly...

I'd like to know if things were planned this way 1) because of they thought it was a good idea to hold classic gametypes back for sustainment 2) because they thought their new gametypes were adequate substitutes for the missing ones 3) because they misunderstood their audiences affinity towards those modes or 4) the didn't have enough time and/or resources to get things here sooner.

Maybe it's some combination of all of those. Even though I like Warzone, strongholds, and breakout, I'm from a camp that thinks the classic modes should have had priority over everything else.

jem0208

I don't think anyone is making excuses for them... Just speculating about their thought process...

I think we can all agree that launching with all the game modes we know and love would have been the best move. They would then sustain the population with new maps and new game modes.

I think we all agree that launching with unproven (and now, apparently unpopular modes) INSTEAD of modes that fans EXPECT was not a good idea... Assuming that fans will wait 3+ months for those game types is just silly...

I'd like to know if things were planned this way 1) because of they thought it was a good idea to hold classic gametypes back for sustainment 2) because they thought their new gametypes were adequate substitutes for the missing ones 3) because they misunderstood their audiences affinity towards those modes or 4) the didn't have enough time and/or resources to get things here sooner.

Maybe it's some combination of all of those. Even though I like Warzone, strongholds, and breakout, I'm from a camp that thinks the classic modes should have had priority over everything else.

I'd rather have Strongholds than pretty much any of the classic modes we don't have.

Strongholds and flag are easily the best objective game modes Halo has.

E92 M3

YEAH! I was so confused why they didn't use the superior version. Probably just trying to push the breakout agenda :O

I'd rather have Strongholds than pretty much any of the classic modes we don't have.

*Insert argument here about how I disagree and think the other modes are a lot of fun* :p

--

Also, qualifier hype tomorrow!

BradC00

YEAH! I was so confused why they didn't use the superior version. Probably just trying to push the breakout agenda :O

which is weird because it's the lowest 4v4 playlist. it should be stuck in team arena or just deleted straight up. even when I get arena breakout I go "oh boy!! this crap again" and it's a superior version. the maps look like garbage too. it's barely watchable in HCS. just throw it away and give us oddball, assault, or 1-flag CTF.

I'm pretty stoke about the new map tho, and the continuing of getting new maps. I guess i'm one of the people that doesn't mind the tag "remix" being put on things. I think all the remix maps play completely different, and if you put a new coat of paint on them instead of making them resemble their "unmixed" map, there would be less push back.

wouldn't mind some classic maps remade ala truth. not 1:1 but maps that keep in mind the new abilities.

Akai__

00055kxb.gif

Thanks for being part of the 343i defence force. I'm sure somebody from 343i will appreciate it.

E92 M3

which is weird because it's the lowest 4v4 playlist. it should be stuck in team arena or just deleted straight up. even when I get arena breakout I go "oh boy!! this crap again" and it's a superior version. the maps look like garbage too. it's barely watchable in HCS. just throw it away and give us oddball, assault, or 1-flag CTF.

I'm pretty stoke about the new map tho, and the continuing of getting new maps. I guess i'm one of the people that doesn't mind the tag "remix" being put on things. I think all the remix maps play completely different, and if you put a new coat of paint on them instead of making them resemble their "unmixed" map, there would be less push back.

wouldn't mind some classic maps remade ala truth. not 1:1 but maps that keep in mind the new abilities.

I am with you that remixes feel better, but I would still like less industrial based maps. Overgrowth is a good example, but design and weapon placement is horrendous! Honestly, I just want to play on Truth 24/7 lol. Like Midship, Truth never gets old.

Treyarch panders to the crowd a lot. They had 24/7 Nuketown which was a lot of fun. I'd like to see some special playlists like that for Halo.

Went 7-17 for the night where on at least half of the games I'm the only one going positive on the team. Might just quit the game altogether if this random matchmaking doesn't have any improvements. Head is literally going to explode from all the rage. Good thing they decided to ban me for quitting after the game is over so watching football I go.

I like KotH though. Heck we just need every classic game type so no one is dissatisfied.

jem0208

I worded that extremely poorly.

In no way am I defending the lack of gamemodes, I have said many times that the lack of gamemodes sucks.

I'm just saying Strongholds is better than KOTH, Oddball etc.

BradC00

Overgrowth is a good example, but design and weapon placement is horrendous!

remove camo, and either the sword or shotty (or both? these types of maps where there's a lot of small spaces aren't good to go against them), add overshield somewhere neutral (top mid??) and the map would be good to great.

Trup1aya

I like strongholds too... In fact, I think I like it individually more than any of the missing objective mode... But not at the expense of all those classic modes... Definately Not at the expense of having those modes available in forge so that people can make unique custom games...

Not a good trade off at all

jem0208

I like strongholds too... But not at the expense of classic modes... Not at the expense of having those modes available in forge so that people can make unique custom games...

Not a good trade off at all

Again, that's not what I was trying to say.

A better way of wording it would have been if I had to choose only two objective modes to have in H5, I'd choose flag and strongholds.

remove camo, and either the sword or shotty (or both? these types of maps where there's a lot of small spaces aren't good to go against them), add overshield somewhere neutral (top mid??) and the map would be good to great.

Well, the whole point of a power weapon is that it's not SUPPOSED to be good to go against. I'd say remove shotty, leave on the sword and maybe the camo.

Trup1aya

Again, that's not what I was trying to say.

A better way of wording it would have been if I had to choose only two objective modes to have in H5, I'd choose flag and strongholds.

I understand what you are saying... But since you said it in response to a rant about the lack of gametypes and a crappy sustain model, it's hard to see why that sentiment is relevant.

Yes strongholds is fun. But if 343i thought that strongholds and breakout would be regarded as adequate replacements for KotH, assault, oddball, juggernaut/VIP, territories, etc... Then they were sorely mistaken...

jem0208

Well, the whole point of a power weapon is that it's not SUPPOSED to be good to go against. I'd say remove shotty, leave on the sword and maybe the camo.
Eh... the sword camo combo on Overgrowth is pretty awful. It just leads to the sword player either just sprinting in circles taking everyone out because it's so close quarters or camping in a corner with camo sword.

I'd remove shotgun, sword and camo. Replace with the sniper and maybe railgun and OS.
I understand what you are saying... But since you said it in response to a rant about the lack of gametypes and a crappy sustain model, it's hard to see why that sentiment is relevant.

Yes strongholds is fun. But if 343i thought that strongholds and breakout would be regarded as adequate replacements for KotH, assault, oddball, juggernaut/VIP, territories, etc... Then they were sorely mistaken...
Yeah, quoting the entire post didn't help either. I was actually only responding to this point in particular:
(and now, apparently unpopular modes)

Leyasu

Banned

I'll take those in an objective playlist, complete with koth and assault.. Those four together would probably keep me away from slayer.

Trup1aya

Yeah, quoting the entire post didn't help either. I was actually only responding to this point in particular:

By 'unpopular' I was specifically referencing breakout... It's hard to guage strongholds reception because it doesn't have its own playlist...

Here's each playlist in order of most unique users
Warzone
Slayer
Team Arena
SWAT
Big Team Battle
Holiday Social
Warzone Assault
Breakout
Holiday Doubles
Free for All

Breakout has its own playlist and five exclusive maps since launch...in hindsight those resources clearly should have been spent elsewhere.

I just wonder why they didn't have the foresight to execute better here ...

I just hope we get gametypes that are versatile across playlists (KoTH, Richochet and Assault), before a gimmick game type like Griffball.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom