• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stick with the paddles, your brain will adjust.

My advice is to only use 2 paddles of you can get away with it.

I had thrust and melee on my 2 paddles, realised I needed to add jump to a 3rd paddle and had to swap thrust and melee around to the other sides... that just threw me out so much I was sucking, but it has clocked again and my movement is netter than ever.

It's hard for a while, but you'll get it.

Glass

Not picked up an Elite yet, but I wonder if the paddles are like my Naga mouse and its crazy amount of buttons. Stuck with it and now I can't go back.

Couldn't tell ya the last time I saw someone sprint away and actually get away with it. The game punishes you so hard for that in my experience.

I think I know what you and other previous posters mean, but enemies sprinting and going into a slide incline boost and/or sprinting to a clamber that's out of your sight is the issue I'm recalling. It's just a lot easier and quicker to "get out of dodge" so to speak.

I don't think Halo 5's sprint breaks the game, as I still enjoy it. However, there are still plenty of occasions where I get frustrated that I just unloaded a ton of ammo into someone and they get away due to the ease of sprinting+clambering+thrusting out of sight.

Perhaps thruster is the biggest culprit for this because if you push out of cover you can get back to cover so much faster than ever before.

EDIT: While I think Halo 5 is a good game in a lot of respects, these major changes to the flow and style of play has kind of left me feeling more and more detached from Halo as I know and love it.

BizzyBum

Stick with the paddles, your brain will adjust.

My advice is to only use 2 paddles of you can get away with it.

I had thrust and melee on my 2 paddles, realised I needed to add jump to a 3rd paddle and had to swap thrust and melee around to the other sides... that just threw me out so much I was sucking, but it has clocked again and my movement is netter than ever.

It's hard for a while, but you'll get it.

I'm actually using all 4 so that also might be why it's taking me longer to adjust. Bottom left is jump, bottom right is thrust, top left is Y, and top right is X. Current sensitivity is 4, 2, 0 0. I feel like I played better at 3 but I couldn't turn fast enough during close fights so I had to bump it up.

BraXzy

The only one I've seen so far - not bad lol.

That's pretty damn good.

I guess it's just me getting older but damn it's taking me a lot of practice to get my shit down with the elite controller in terms of muscle memory and not fumbling with the paddles.

It took me a good few days of solid play to start to feel comfortable with them. There's no quick way/secret tip to get good with them, it really is just reprogramming your muscle memory. It takes time, you panic and forget often, but eventually your hands should just click and do it.

Maybe try with just two, I find the two small paddles are more than enough. 4 is Overkill IMO but if you can handle it why not I guess.

Ramirez

Hard to win with tawp on your team, boys.

Screenshot-Original.png

It's fascinating watching these pro streams on twitch. I'm watching flamesword right now. So if Optic Beard FS has a champion rank of 12, does that mean he's basically the 12th best player in the world, according to the online rankings I mean?

EDIT: I realize that number doesn't reflect actual tournament play results and fan/public consensus

im_dany

Teammate kills me twice
I kill him when he's trying for the third time
I get kicked

fuck off 343i

edit: finished another game but I'm now banned, wtf

Glass

It's fascinating watching these pro streams on twitch. I'm watching flamesword right now. So if Optic FS has a champion rank of 12, does that mean he's basically the 12th best player in the world, according to the online rankings I mean?

Oof you picked an interesting time to watch his stream.

Not sure how the higher ranks work, not something I need to worry about :p

Oof you picked an interesting time to watch his stream.

Not sure how the higher ranks work, not something I need to worry about :p
I shouldn't watch them. All they do is make me want to become a pro myself and play halo all day lol. If I was still in college I think I could totally do it. I had the time back in the day. Now the idea is nothing more than a hilarious daydream.

Vico

I totally want to join the HaloGaf spartan company, but I'm afraid mine will call me a TR8R. There are only 5-6 active people, though.

I totally want to join the HaloGaf spartan company, but I'm afraid mine will call me a TR8R. There are only 5-6 active people, though.
The minimum number for a company is 4, so at least you wouldn't be sabotaging them completely :O

On another note, watching optic beard, well any of these hcs players for that matter, use the pistol to such great effect is downright awesome.

ahh that blows. i've been following flamesword's stream all night and then they finally started discussing possible replacements to their team, but they muted the mic.

It's funny how much my games differ. One will be good, the odd one great. Then the next one I'll be in the negatives.

Ah well. It's all in fun. I just find it perplexing and funny.

Still trying to get some better icon emblems, but haven't had any luck in packs.

jem0208

ahh that blows. i've been following flamesword's stream all night and then they finally started discussing possible replacements to their team, but they muted the mic.
This roster lock is just causing absolute chaos in the teams at the moment.

I hope FS finds a good team, he seems like a cool guy.

Akai__

I had a weird dream that we played HaloGAF customs on Uncaged yesterday. *shudders*

Also, I got this some days ago, but I managed to get 1 Cluster Luck medal on a single person due to lag.

Bonus clip on Wahrer's map. Moves like Jagger.

2VIYXnJ.jpg

Anyone know how this emblem is unlocked? Is it in Req packs or tied to some commendation?

Qouting this again, because I unlocked it in a Silver pack yesterday. I have only Emblems left in Silver REQ's, so I don't know if that's why I unlocked it. Thought I'd let you know either way.

Yesterday some guy in the other team broke out of Antifreeze during a Strongholds match. Me and a friend of mine were baffled but intrigued. Apparently it's so easy you can break out while holding a flag, in both of the bases.

jfoul

I'll be getting on in a little bit for a long session of warzone assault before the championship games. I'll be on discord as well. Gotta get more req points to collect them all!

Wonder if Achilles set will eventually be unlock able outside of spartan companies. You need to be an active member while the commendation requirement has been met. If you join after it doesn't count. This set will end up being really rare on the battlefield.

I am watching a video of Riptide and it looks great in the art department. It's human environment, but refreshing with those sand dunes. I wish we would have gotten such location in the campaign.

And Hell yes for changing the team blue color. Game looks so much better now. Yes. It is kind of crazy saying that!

m23

They really need to update the carnage report in game. Have the medals for each player, as well as possibly kills per weapon breakdown. It should be a lot more comprehensive than it is now and I should not have to go on waypoint to see those stats.

Trup1aya

I think I know what you and other previous posters mean, but enemies sprinting and going into a slide incline boost and/or sprinting to a clamber that's out of your sight is the issue I'm recalling. It's just a lot easier and quicker to "get out of dodge" so to speak.

I don't think Halo 5's sprint breaks the game, as I still enjoy it. However, there are still plenty of occasions where I get frustrated that I just unloaded a ton of ammo into someone and they get away due to the ease of sprinting+clambering+thrusting out of sight.

Perhaps thruster is the biggest culprit for this because if you push out of cover you can get back to cover so much faster than ever before.

EDIT: While I think Halo 5 is a good game in a lot of respects, these major changes to the flow and style of play has kind of left me feeling more and more detached from Halo as I know and love it.

Sure their are changes to the flow in terms of navigating. But it doesn't really change actual shooting engagements, because if someone is sprinting, they aren't shooting.

If someone uses a Spartan ability to get around a corner, you call them out, just like you would if the evaded you in any other halo.

Gun fights themselves, are similar to halo 1-3, and the game flow is , IMO, far less unpredictable, than 3, Reach and 4, since there is no equipment, Spartan abilities , or load outs.

Trup1aya

They really need to update the carnage report in game. Have the medals for each player, as well as possibly kills per weapon breakdown. It should be a lot more comprehensive than it is now and I should not have to go on waypoint to see those stats.

No doubt.

Here's a companion app, that may hold you over until they update... You can leave it open, and it updates automatically after each match.

Edit: forgot the link http://www.halocarnage.com

Missing link?

Silly me

Yesterday some guy in the other team broke out of Antifreeze during a Strongholds match. Me and a friend of mine were baffled but intrigued. Apparently it's so easy you can break out while holding a flag, in both of the bases.

Why haven't 343 deployed an emergency update to fix this issue? It happens literally every time I play the map and the map is heavily weighted to appear. This has been known about for weeks now. They were a lot quicker to fix that wall glitch on Complex in Halo 4. I get that Forge maps get less attention from the sustain team but if BTB is gonna be built solely around them then they should treat them with the care they do disc maps.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Anyone online and wanna play a few?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom