• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.
CRspY_VWEAA8chM.jpg

Mix you TRAITOR

CeeSaw

So, may I ask a question that is notorious for causing rude and fruitless arguments? ;)

Now that the game has been in our hands long enough, do you think the mechanics 343 put in to balance sprint are good enough to justify sprints existence, or would you like to see sprint removed in future titles?

My assesment:
Sprint is the main mechanic that frustrates me and causes me to not enjoy the game as much as Halo 1, 2, or even 3. I still see a lot of run away tactics that severely frustrate and ruin the pace. It's too easy to cover ground (screws map flow--makes it really hectic), and it is really problematic with items like shotgun and OS. I went back and played Halo 2/CE mp and enjoyed myself more. The first month I thought sprint was fine, but now I despise it.

I hated the sprint in 4 so much because I felt like everybody would run and hide every time they lost the advantage. But in 5 the fact your shields do not recharge make it much more fair in my opinion. It almost forces you to push the advantage and chase to get the kill if you really want it. I like the tradeoff. As for map flow I can kind of agree, but I find most of the maps are designed pretty well with it in mind. I think that 5's mechanics overall are really well designed and balanced and the ground pound is my new bae and I hope to see it in every Halo going forward.

I wish I could toggle zoom instead of hold down the button.

I want to move zoom to LB and Grenade to Left trigger (switch them on the default layout)
but nope, it makes me hold down LB to zoom.

I wish I could toggle zoom instead of hold down the button.

I want to move zoom to LB and Grenade to Left trigger (switch them on the default layout)
but nope, it makes me hold down LB to zoom.

I'm fairly certain that if you choose a preset like bumper jumper that has click stick toggle zoom and then remap it using the Xbox accessories app you will get the results you want.

I hated the sprint in 4 so much because I felt like everybody would run and hide every time they lost the advantage. But in 5 the fact your shields do not recharge make it much more fair in my opinion. It almost forces you to push the advantage and chase to get the kill if you really want it. I like the tradeoff. As for map flow I can kind of agree, but I find most of the maps are designed pretty well with it in mind. I think that 5's mechanics overall are really well designed and balanced and the ground pound is my new bae and I hope to see it in every Halo going forward.

At first I would agree with you, however I encounter a lot of people getting away with running away simply because you end up trading (you dying as well from their teammates support), or people surviving a frustrating amount of shots to the back of their spartan's head or body. I loved when Halo was unashamedly slower than it's competition in it's day. It distinguished itself from the Quake's, Unreal Tournaments, and various other quick FPS's. I know it might sound silly, but I have been considering not continuing interest in the series because it's losing the appeal that it originally had during the original trilogy days due to it's homogenization of more popular titles such as COD and BF etc.

Oh and I tried breakout again. Did 2 games and I just can't get into it. Absolutely loathe the no shields, increased health. Yuck. I'll play swat before I go back to breakout. What a goofed up gametype. It doesn't know what it wants to be, no identity. There's no flow because the game ends before it gets started. If they really want to stick with the odd health/no shields, they should give everyone 5 lives to lose and make it a best of 3 matches - not a first to 5 wins.
Honestly, I felt the same way but had a great time playing the community made maps today, I think they're leagues better than what we got at launch, even the duds (absolute, deadcenter were the weakest I played).

So, may I ask a question that is notorious for causing rude and fruitless arguments? ;)

Now that the game has been in our hands long enough, do you think the mechanics 343 put in to balance sprint are good enough to justify sprints existence, or would you like to see sprint removed in future titles?

My assesment:
Sprint is the main mechanic that frustrates me and causes me to not enjoy the game as much as Halo 1, 2, or even 3. I still see a lot of run away tactics that severely frustrate and ruin the pace. It's too easy to cover ground (screws map flow--makes it really hectic), and it is really problematic with items like shotgun and OS. I went back and played Halo 2/CE mp and enjoyed myself more. The first month I thought sprint was fine, but now I despise it.
I've become indifferent to sprint's existence. I don't think it's needed in Halo, but it doesn't really hurt it in Halo 5, either. The additions of clamber, thrust, and slide compliment sprint fairly well. I'd argue that if you remove sprint, you need to remove the thrust mechanic along with it. The two kind of go hand in hand imo.

I'm fairly certain that if you choose a preset like bumper jumper that has click stick toggle zoom and then remap it using the Xbox accessories app you will get the results you want.

SNIP.

Yeaaah,,, I just felt a little lazy and hoped the context would translate that when zoom is on a button it would act like how it is when on RStick. :p

It's my on-going excuse for my performance. hehe

Plz Understand

EDIT:

LOVE ME SOME NADESHOTS
But then.... I die :(
Lag confirmed in the USA. lol

Fuchsdh

At just finished up games, no time for customs for me this evening.

Got my bronze packs finished up though, feels good. Mk IV shall be mine...

jem0208

My assesment:

I'm completely fine with sprint in H5 (then again I was okay with sprint in H4). In my experience and what I've seen on pro scrims sprint is mostly used as an offensive tool, it makes H5 very aggressive. There's lost of sprinting off spawn but I rarely see print used as an escape tool.

At just finished up games, no time for customs for me this evening.

Got my bronze packs finished up though, feels good. Mk IV shall be mine...

Do you need to still buy bronze packs for the uncommon reqs? I have all of the commons done and now I'm buying on silver packs but I still have uncommon reqs to clean

Fuchsdh

Do you need to still buy bronze packs for the uncommon reqs? I have all of the commons done and now I'm buying on silver packs but I still have uncommon reqs to clean

You stop buying bronze packs whenever instead of a piece of armor or emblem or other unlock, it gives you back REQ points. Then move onto the silvers.

I gotta stop lurking this OT and actually start joining in on stuff. Playing solo can just get to be too brutal. Going 24-10 in a SWAT game only to lose 50-48 because two players on my team went 5-13 and 4-17. Sigh.

Maybe I just have the worst luck in the world when it comes to teammates but it has gotten to the point where I'm scared to pick up the BR in Breakout.

Anytime I finally wanna give it a whirl, oh look! A teammate melee'd me for it.

People are so fucking territorial about the BR in Breakout, it's so frustrating. It's to the point where I just wish they'd disable friendly fire, thoughtless nades be damned.

Bread

Banned
Maybe I just have the worst luck in the world when it comes to teammates but it has gotten to the point where I'm scared to pick up the BR in Breakout.

Anytime I finally wanna give it a whirl, oh look! A teammate melee'd me for it.

People are so fucking territorial about the BR in Breakout, it's so frustrating. It's to the point where I just wish they'd disable friendly fire, thoughtless nades be damned.
this happened to me last week, i was destroying and this asshole kept racing me to it and then trolling me. i showed him here!

Atkison04

Is there really no gaf spartan companies recruiting for the Achilles armor? I see some of y'all top guys suffling the deck, but I'm not on that level. I'm average as shit but want to contribute to a gaf group, not random group on waypoint. I've applied to some gaf groups in the links, and randoms from waypoint with no love shown yet. Someone please tell me where my 10 kills, 6 assists, 15 deaths having ass can go? (Sorry, beers)

Trup1aya

My assesment:

I really don't see sprint being used successfully as a run away tactic, and I'm just a diamond 1 on my best day. During battle, opponents land shots, which cancels attempts to sprint, so people don't do it. Those who do try to run, get called out, and easily killed, because their shield can't recharge. It's usually Much more effective to try to deal damage to your attacker. If you are going to die anyway, you might as well go out swinging. You might get the reversal or assist.

I see it used often to get TO the fight. But rarely used to end one altogether, in my experience.

A much more impactful mechanical difference is the thruster. It essentially allows for more agressice play, as it adds another layer to what used to be 'turtling'. It also adds another layer to the strafing game.

|OT 3| GAF's Achilles Heel

I can't think of anything more fitting

Ramirez

Couldn't tell ya the last time I saw someone sprint away and actually get away with it. The game punishes you so hard for that in my experience.

BizzyBum

I guess it's just me getting older but damn it's taking me a lot of practice to get my shit down with the elite controller in terms of muscle memory and not fumbling with the paddles. Whenever things get hectic my fingers don't move as fast as my brain.

Also playing with randoms all the time is just not fun. Just had a couple games in a row where someone quit and last game it was 1 vs 4 in a TS game. I'm not really amazing in this as my ranks are usually Golds but if anyone wants to add me for some games let me know. GT is BizzyBum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom