• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

Woorloog

Banned
CD keys is great for cheap codes but looks like you found a place.

Never occurred for me to look at CD keys or the like. Used Finnish price-comparison sites, and ended up in a digital code seller site anyway.
Guess digital buying is viable on consoles nowadays too, at least as long as one ignores official stores. Some years ago only Steam seemed to have good prices, for 360 i was better off buying from retail, used or not.

nillapuddin

So two nights ago I played some Arena...

Finally witnessed these forge maps y'all have been talking about.

God damn shameful.

It's honestly embarrassing. They really do all perform like shit, and what do ya know, they are packed to the fucking brim with "aesthetics".

People might not like looking at screenshots of my maps cause they "look too plain" but ask me if I have ever once heard feedback about perf on my maps, the answer is no.

I dare someone to go play on my rats nest for example (that Yes, looks nothing like rats nest) and not have a good time, the fact is, it plays awesome and is a legit fun map to play on, it doesn't matter how much decoration there is or isn't.

There are tons of example out there of well designed, visually appealing and well performing maps in the community, but for some reason we are holding on to previously created maps (read: trash) and just updating them to somehow get some more use out them.

Maybe I'm just out of my mind but, suggestion: Abandon that shit, find solid map designs that hit perf first, then work with forgers to beautify them or improve the efficiency, and if they ever start to drop frames, here's a thought, delete the unnecessary shit until it stops having issues.

mindblown.gif

JDB

Banned

God damn shameful.

It's honestly embarrassing. They really do all perform like shit, and what do ya know, they are packed to the fucking brim with "aesthetics".

People might not like looking at screenshots of my maps cause they "look to plain" but ask me if I have ever once heard feedback about perf on my maps, the answer is no.

I dare someone to go play on my rats nest for example (that Yes, looks nothing like rats nest) and not have a good time, the fact is, it plays awesome and is a legit fun map to play on, it doesn't matter how much decoration there is or isn't.

There are tons of example out there of well designed, visually appealing and well performing maps in the community, but for some reason we are holding on to previously created maps (read: trash) and just updating them to somehow get some more use out them.

Maybe I'm just out of my mind but, suggestion: Abandon that shit, find solid map designs that hit perf first, then work with forgers to beautify them or improve the efficiency, and if they ever start to drop frames, here's a thought, delete the unnecessary shit until it stops having issues.

mindblown.gif
It's most likely because those maps actually did perform well before recent updates. Forge performance has really gone down the gutter the past couple of patches. That and still keeping badly performing maps in is on 343.

Trup1aya

my thing is, it's probably a mix between instability in the code AND forgers overdoing the aesthetics. But why not remove the affected maps from matchmaking until the problem is solved.

343 went through all this trouble to lock the game at 60fps (no p2p, no split screen,dynamic resolution etc), but they have all these issues the that keep the game from running at 60fps.

The other thing is, the maps that dont overdo the aesthetics are the nore visually appealing, typically.

God damn shameful.

People might not like looking at screenshots of my maps cause they "look too plain" but ask me if I have ever once heard feedback about perf on my maps, the answer is no.

mindblown.gif
Then there's Avalanche that looks great and runs well. Some Wizardry went into that map.

Simplex also looks nice and performs well. It also plays better than Orion/Pegasus, 343.

nillapuddin

It's most likely because those maps actually did perform well before recent updates. Forge performance has really gone down the gutter the past couple of patches. That and still keeping badly performing maps in is on 343.

Ill give you if somehow the patch has cut these maps off at the knees.

Which I cannot prove or disprove.

But, 343 has the patch, they have the maps, You can't just blindly patch things and then just accept its screwed up after its live.

They can rely on CC and stuff only so much, I know they double check it themselves. Why didn't they catch this, why do they allow them in the rotation?

The other thing is, the maps that dont overdo the aesthetics are the more visually appealing, typically.

But why does that matter, would you rather play competitive multiplayer on a map that's A+ visually and choppy or a map that's B- visually and smooth.

The answer should be B.

I know I'm way too fired up on this, but it's so annoying that these things keep happening to where forge gets the blame and blanket statements are used to negatively reflect all forge maps. It's been happening since Reach.

Also, everyone has their one thing that irks them, basically nothing in the world gets my jimmies rustled, except mismanagement of Mk V and Forge. I've got to get my hyperbole out somehow.

Then there's Avalanche that looks great and runs well. Some Wizardry went into that map.

Simplex also looks nice and performs well. It also plays better than Orion/Pegasus, 343.

First, thanks :)
Secondly, yeah I know, that map is purposefully "under decorated" and huge effort went into ensuring it was not over designed or engineered in any aspect and whaddya know, it has no issues with perf.

Also, fwiw

I've checked, and none of my maps have developed frame drops, including highlands which has one of the longest interrupted sight lines of about map I've played in this game.

Karl2177

Ill give you if somehow the patch has cut these maps off at the knees.

Which I cannot prove or disprove.

But, 343 has the patch, they have the maps, You can't just blindly patch things and then just accept its screwed up after its live.

They can rely on CC and stuff only so much, I know they double check it themselves. Why didn't they catch this, why do they allow them in the rotation?
Antifreeze always had both framerate and gameplay problems, so that one is beyond me why it's still in the map pool. Some of the "new" maps had issues when they went in, like the Spire-esque map. Viking got better surprisingly. Headlong didn't have any issues when I played it last. Standoff has a spike when behind a base and both wasps are in frame. The Basin update made it bad. There's probably some that I'm missing, but some were bad before the update, but all of them got worse.

I mean, we can blame forgers only so much. Before a couple updates ago, I didn't have frame rate issues on btb maps, or much of anything in forge. Then updates come out and fuck them up and we were told it had nothing to do with the forge team's changes, but was an issue with the modifications to the main engine. Some maps have been updated/altered to run better with the new setup, but in the end, 343 keeps leaving some with unacceptable issues in matchmaking.

The buck has to stop somewhere and that's with 343, specifically their playlist management team, at this point. They've got time to add tons of shit performing maps that ruin gameplay, but can't fiddle with the search parameters to give people a better matchmaking experience? Some priorities need to be checked.

So this is the only Halo Wars Definitive Edition screenshot that we have correct?

Source: https://twitter.com/Gamecheat13/status/798703563874697217

Gqd548h.jpg

The game is coming out on just 4 days and we haven't seen anything else that's strange, also hopefully I can receive my code this exact Tuesday I need it for my work

Fuchsdh

So this is the only Halo Wars Definitive Edition screenshot that we have correct?

Source: https://twitter.com/Gamecheat13/status/798703563874697217

The game is coming out on just 4 days and we haven't seen anything else that's strange, also hopefully I can receive my code this exact Tuesday I need it for my work

Yeah, kinda' odd. No great details into what you get. But that screenshot looks sharp, and it'll be nice to play with a KB/M. As much as Halo Wars does with the controls, there's no replacement for KB/M input.

Trup1aya

But why does that matter, would you rather play competitive multiplayer on a map that's A+ visually and choppy or a map that's B- visually and smooth.

The answer should be B.

I agree with you.

But the the point i was making is that the people who throw all the extra shit in to make an A+ visual map usually make the map ugly AND it ends up playing like shit.

I tend to find more enjoyment from the maps with toned down aesthetics for their performance AND for how they look

More is not better is what I'm saying. I dont think thats counter to your point.

BizzyBum

Oh look, people not spawning vehicles in the final round of mythic firefight. People should be banned from the playlist for an hour and be forced to play heroic where they belong.

mo60

Oh look, people not spawning vehicles in the final round of mythic firefight. People should be banned from the playlist for an hour and be forced to play heroic where they belong.

Depending on what the objective is in the final round I don't usually bother to spawn vehicles in mythic, legendary or heroic warzone firefight because my vehicle will be destroyed really quickly.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

on the bright side, this means you wont get splattered by careless or jerk teammates

Leyasu

Banned
Is it my eyes, or do the graphics look cleaner and slightly improved in the multi? (Bearing in mind that I haven't played much in months)..

It has been looking sexy this week. Making me excited for how nice the scorpio versions of halo are going to look going forward

Karl2177

Depending on what the objective is in the final round I don't usually bother to spawn vehicles in mythic, legendary or heroic warzone firefight because my vehicle will be destroyed really quickly.
I had this issue for a while. If you have it, call in the wheelman armor mod. Afterwards, my default scorpion can last multiple warden blasts.

nillapuddin

I agree with you.

But the the point i was making is that the people who throw all the extra shit in to make an A+ visual map usually make the map ugly AND it ends up playing like shit.

I tend to find more enjoyment from the maps with toned down aesthetics for their performance AND for how they look

More is not better is what I'm saying. I dont think thats counter to your point.

I must have misread your first post, because I agree with that 100%

mo60

I had this issue for a while. If you have it, call in the wheelman armor mod. Afterwards, my default scorpion can last multiple warden blasts.

It's usually not the warden blasts that destroy my vehicle. It's the other stuff around the warden like wraiths, banshees and etc circling the warden on maps like urban in the final round. I usuallhy also don't spawn vehicles in the final round if the area the fight takes place in is to small for the vehicle I spawn to be useful.I also don't usually spawn a vehicle in other cases like where I have to fight multiple mythic knight enemies because I would be shredded to pieces really quickly even if I equip the mod. I usually spawn a power weapon in cases where I can't spawn a vehicle and use the patrol case mod.

God damn shameful.

I'm quitting my build anytime Pegasus or Orion comes up now. And they come up a hell of a lot.

mindblown.gif
This. It's absolutely unacceptable. On Pegasus II you can't even stay and hold down red spawn because the framerate is absymal when aiming anywhere outside of it. The framerate should never drop on any created maps in matchmaking period.

I'm quitting my build any time Pegasus or Orion come up now, which is a hell of a lot.

BizzyBum

Has anyone gotten any infinite loading screens when starting a match since the update? Just a black screen with the loading circle. Never happened before and now I get them a few times a day.

Super annoying because it wastes a boost.

Has anyone gotten any infinite loading screens when starting a match since the update? Just a black screen with the loading circle. Never happened before and now I get them a few times a day.

Super annoying because it wastes a boost.

Yeah. I've had them before the update before too.

nillapuddin

just to prove my point

I went on pegasus in forge, deleted all the trash cans, cones, barrels, crates, and any other tiny decorative object that doesnt effect gameplay annnndd

what do you know, perfect frame rate, its amazing, woooowwwww.

Ive put too much energy into this, but I had to know. Salt mine is now empty

Yeah, kinda' odd. No great details into what you get. But that screenshot looks sharp, and it'll be nice to play with a KB/M. As much as Halo Wars does with the controls, there's no replacement for KB/M input.

Yeah I mean even with Halo MCC we got a few screenshots of Halo CE, Halo 2,3 and 4 and I agree I love Halo Wars but the RTS games are better on KB/M I can't wait to play it again ALL UNITS!

BizzyBum

just to prove my point

I went on pegasus in forge, deleted all the trash cans, cones, barrels, crates, and any other tiny decorative object that doesnt effect gameplay annnndd

Why this can't be done and inserted into matchmaking via a hotfix is mind boggling.

Try tweeting 343 your revision and see if they say anything.

just to prove my point

That's ridiculous how easy it is to fix and there's seriously no excuse.

Try tweeting 343 your revision and see if they say anything.

For real, this needs to be tweeted at Quinn or someone every day until its done.

BizzyBum

Man, mythic firefight is insane. I seem to get to round 5 okay usually but I've yet to finish off the last mythic boss before the time runs out. Came close a few times so far.

Last game we had 2 phaetons, a tank, a wraith, and a few ghosts and we still lost to the mythic grunt goblin.

For real, this needs to be tweeted at Quinn or someone every day until its done.

That or create a thread on Reddit and get a ton of upvotes since 343 browses there regularly.

nillapuddin

before we get the pitchforks, I didn't save it, and I don't plan to push this initiative.

I don't know PWN JONES so I already feel bad in the back of my head for calling him out.

But I am acquaintances with Black Picture (or if some other creative force member did it), and I feel bad but I honestly think Orion II is severely over designed and alot completely unnecessary. Im not the kind of person to talk shit on the internet and pretend to be cool when I talk to them. So if I run into him I will ask him about Orion and figure out what happened.

He is a great forger, and all the CF guys do great work, which makes it even more of a head scratcher. I cant imagine anyone in Creative Force would allow a map to be pushed out of their little factory that had crap performance. So idk where I stand on this, besides the fact that they have to pull out poorly performing maps, take shit out until it works, then put them back in.

Strider

On top of the abysmal performance... Orion II and Pergasus II are clearly more heavily weighted in skirmish.

Sucks because i fuckin hate playing with frame dips.

On top of the abysmal performance... Orion II and Pergasus II are clearly more heavily weighted in skirmish.

Sucks because i fuckin hate playing with frame dips.

When i dip, you dip, we dip
When i dip, you dip, we dip

*forgets rest of the song
Edit: remembered rest of song.

Regret. Omg....

nillapuddin

wellthereitis.gif

*Uny and the original creators have made some performance optimizations to improve framerate with Pegasus II and Orion II.

now just fix all the other maps.

EYEL1NER

Got the email about the feedback survey and a notation saying I should have received a free "Thank You" REQ pack yesterday. Well, I didn't actually get any free REQ pack yesterday. A number of months ago I posted a screen shot of an email I received from MS with a code for a free REQ pack, and that code was invalid. Someone in the promotions department must like screwing with people...

Triz

Was there a patch the last couple days? (I tried to update it Ive played in the last week, but nothing available) but for some reason I can't get my profile synced. This has only happened before when I tried to play unpatched.

Top Bottom