• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Launch Day Multiplayer Playlist Revealed

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Any chance for in-game voting for the playlist cycle? Like a prompt where a message from the dev might be, but it's a call for votes on the next month's playlist options? It feels like a good way to get direct feedback from active players.

Quinn's going be dropping some hints about direct community input very shortly.

Rockyrock

they have to stop with this SWAT stuff.

it was some random custom game created in Halo 2 and now its it own playlist at launch of a major title, while way more important playlists are absent. give me a break.

The whole reason to play Halo is the different gameplay opportunities having shields allows and how it differs from most other games. Removing them is just like okay... why not play the 5000 other shooters like that? lol

tldr; SWAT doesn't deserve anything more than a slot in an Action Sack playlist.

This thread was always going to be by far the craziest. Playlists are super divisive and have caused numerous GAF civil wars over the years.

We do a lot of data driven changes and inclusions and weirdly this is one of the things that makes people mad - that they feel that large populations will "bully" the direction of the playlists, and we will make sure the popular ones are always represented, but we do want to make sure cult and niche stuff gets an airing.

We have better tools, and learned (despite BigShow's somewhat understandable refusal to believe it) a lot from the failures of H4 - but I'd also say those were more matrixed flaws than simply matchmaking content.

Aside from playlists (which is was I am, personally, content about). Are these maps final? Is this list excluding certain launch maps that haven't been revealed so far. If the list is not excluding any potential maps, then why are we only running essentially five arena maps?

Also. No offense, but I have been concerned for a while now in regard to map variety, with a lot of maps being shown so far featuring the same kind of UNSC industrial look. There seem to be a bunch of amazing locales from the campaign, are there truly no maps that draw inspiration from Sanghelios, Kamchatka or the other worlds?

Leyasu

Banned
It is a bit confusing. But for the love of god, please tell me that there is a team slayer playlist that doesn't have breakout within ffs?!

Team objectives I can live without (for a bit) . But a team slayer playlist with breakout ua a must.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
This thread was always going to be by far the craziest. Playlists are super divisive and have caused numerous GAF civil wars over the years.

We do a lot of data driven changes and inclusions and weirdly this is one of the things that makes people mad - that they feel that large populations will "bully" the direction of the playlists, and we will make sure the popular ones are always represented, but we do want to make sure cult and niche stuff gets an airing.

We have better tools, and learned (despite BigShow's somewhat understandable refusal to believe it) a lot from the failures of H4 - but I'd also say those were more matrixed flaws than simply matchmaking content.

I really hope this is true! Maybe you remember my PM back at the MCC launch. I trust all your posts here and just pre-ordered Halo 5 :) (really sad that I can't pre-order the LCE).

Question..I know warzone is supposed to be the "go crazy playground" but will there ever be a crazy kind of CTF? maybe 2 flags each team or something like that?

tldr; SWAT doesn't deserve anything more than a slot in an Action Sack playlist.
WHUT?

it was some random custom game created in Halo 2 and now its it own playlist at launch of a major title, while way more important playlists are absent. give me a break.

The whole reason to play Halo is the different gameplay opportunities having shields allows and how it differs from most other games. Removing them is just like okay... why not play the 5000 other shooters like that? lol

SWAT is more popular than any objective game type. Well. I cannot imagine the outcry if there is no SWAT playlist.

mcrommert

Banned

Yeah they need to stop with the pretense.

All playlists should be swat

Alls I want to know is why some slayer maps aren't in the slayer game type. There's no logical sense to that as far as I can understand.

m23

It is a bit confusing. But for the love of god, please tell me that there is a team slayer playlist that doesn't have breakout within ffs?!

Team objectives I can live without (for a bit) . But a team slayer playlist with breakout ua a must.

That's the team slayer playlist. It's in the OP. Although it is really confusing to read.

According to a lot of posters on this website I am not a true halo fan because I like Muse in the launch trailer. Rip, I guess.

See you're wrong again, dummy. You watched it because you were excited about the game, and took it for what it was. This is a forum about analysis and bold reaction. You must watch each trailer with magnifying glasses tape to your forehead so every pixel can be critiquedz. Then you can more personally attack the person who created the content and made a decision that the AF should be bad or Muse should be shitty.

The game looks fun people. What happened to the days where we just booted the bad boy up and had fun. I don't love CTF or Oddball or BTB, but the game is fun so I'll play it. Every so often I'll have a really great time in a game mode I don't love. It's all just a slight variation of the same deal.

Freiya

Ok so just to be sure, since some of you claim i'm trolling and what not. "playlist" gives you no choice once you select it? If you choose "Team Arena" can you then play CTF and nothing but CTF? From what I played and know of Halo that is not the case. Am I wrong?

Any of the people who earlier called me out want to respond?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

SWAT is incredibly popular. And with the new movement and verticality, it's become something really, really different. If you use muscle memory to think about how you normally play Halo SWAT - there's a lot of locked gliding and orbiting of levels in loops. You can't do that any more.

I expect that to be an interesting learning curve.

Quick thoughts:
  • And here I am thinking I wouldn't have to deal with SWAT for a while since we have Breakout, but instead they put Breakout in two playlists, and created two playlists just for SWAT.
  • Why isn't "SWAT with Magnums" just a gametype in SWAT? Why do we need two SWAT gametypes?
  • No Objective playlist.
  • RIP other gametypes?
  • "Team Arena" is a poor name for what is a grab bag under "Arena multiplayer" when there are other team gametypes. Surely they'll have descriptions for these playlist though, so it probably won't be an issue.
  • Excited for FFA, glad it's there.
I wonder what the first weekend playlists will be.
Probably ShWATguns..

Any of the people who earlier called me out want to respond?

Are you the guy who wanted 'TDM' only?

That's called 'Slayer' in Halo. There is always, 100% always, a Slayer playlist in Halo. 5 is no exception. Play that. Job done.

And here I am thinking I wouldn't have to deal with SWAT for a while since we have Breakout, but instead they put Breakout in two playlists, and created two playlists just for SWAT.
Why isn't "SWAT with Magnums" just a gametype in SWAT? Why do we need two SWAT gametypes?

That was IGN error, asfaik it's one playlist.

link1201

So all the perks and whatnot are confined to Warzone, Correct?

So none of that is in TS then? I know they said it wouldn't be in Arena.

ITT: people acting like games are static once they launch and they know development better than anyone because they are entitled to something.

OT: yeah disappointed at the lack of more objective gametypes but I'll take it.

Mirrors my thoughts, especially the bolded. I've proposed SWAT being added to a "Hardcore Action Sack" playlist that includes these gametypes that have become popular (ie: SWAT, Team Snipers), but shouldn't really stand next to Team Slayer as its own playlist. Then have "Fiesta Action Sack" being the casual, fun gametypes like Team Sumo and Husky Raid.
SWAT is incredibly popular. And with the new movement and verticality, it's become something really, really different. If you use muscle memory to think about how you normally play Halo SWAT - there's a lot of locked gliding and orbiting of levels in loops. You can't do that any more.

If anything, maybe introduce SWAT as a weekend playlist first, then you could say this and people would be more willing to accept it. As is, two SWAT playlists at launch is offensive. You'll be hearing from my lawyer shortly.

EDIT - Correction: There is only one SWAT playlist at launch :]

Bsigg12

ITT: people acting like games are static once they launch and they know development better than anyone because they are entitled to something.

ITT: Halo happened.

Pretty excited for Breakout though.

An e-sports venue, 4 almost identical industrial maps, and Truth/Regret.

God fucking damn it..

Pegasus and Orion being counted as actual maps makes it even worse.

God knows how hyped I am for Halo 5, but fuck, this really puts a downer on the MP side for me. Maps are an essential part of longevity and I can't say that I am excited to essentially play on two kinds of maps.

I'll say it once again. I don't want carbon copies of maps from prior games, but if you compare them now. Where is Halo 5's Guardian (hah), Lockout, Relic, Sanctuary, Ivory Tower, Ascension, High Ground etc. etc.

Mirrors my thoughts, especially the bolded. I've proposed SWAT being added to a "Hardcore Action Sack" playlist that includes these gametypes that have become popular (ie: SWAT, Team Snipers), but shouldn't really stand next to Team Slayer as its own playlist. Then have "Fiesta Action Sack" being the casual, fun gametypes like Team Sumo and Husky Raid.

If anything, maybe introduce SWAT as a weekend playlist first, then you could say this and people would be more willing to accept it. As is, two SWAT playlists at launch is offensive. You'll be hearing from my lawyer shortly.

There is only 1 SWAT playlist.

Rockyrock

Really no excuse to gimp the other playlists tho.

If you're gonna add SWAt as it's own playlist its one thing, but the problem is it's in place of more important playlists.

So the only way I can play an objective 4v4 gametype in Halo 5 is in one playlist where 50% of the options are slayer?? Which we all know will get voted slayer the vast majority of the time anyway.

Objected playlists have been shafted for the longest time for no reason. And this game was the perfect time to see a resurgence to them with the new gameplay elements, which I for the first time actually agree play well (except for sprint, that will never work in arena Halo. ever.)

but instead we get the "auto-aim to the head, click R trigger" playlist.

Freiya

Are you the guy who wanted 'TDM' only?

That's called 'Slayer' in Halo. There is always, 100% always, a Slayer playlist in Halo. 5 is no exception. Play that. Job done.

That was IGN error, asfaik it's one playlist.

Well I realized I misspoke about the TDM. My concern still stands with game modes like CTF though apparently? So I'm confused as to why people jumped down my throat like it's some big troll. I honestly don't understand the love for "playlists".

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
All those crying over SWAT need to git the fuck out. SWAT is the only thing left worth playing in Halo multiplayer. Outside Titanfall, Halo SWAT is the greatest thing in online multiplayer shooters.

It should actually be THE main playlist if anything.

If you're gonna add SWAt as it's own playlist its one thing, but the problem is it's in place of more important playlists.

So the only way I can play an objective 4v4 gametype in Halo 5 is in one playlist where 50% of the options are slayer?? Which we all know will get voted slayer the vast majority of the time anyway.

Objected playlists have been shafted for the longest time for no reason. And this game was the perfect time to see a resurgence to them with the new gameplay elements, which I for the first time actually agree play well (except for sprint, that will never work in arena Halo. ever.)

There is no voting. If 50% of the games available are objective, 50% of the games you'll play in the playlist will be objective.

There's only one; read the posted link from Waypoint instead of IGN or the op

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/community/blog-posts/launch-playlist-details
There is only 1 SWAT playlist.
Ahh, alright thanks! That's better then lol. I was confused because of how it appeared on two separate lines:

5aa28e42f28cb5266cb9936809978513.png

Thought one was regular SWAT and the other was just with Magnums.

mcrommert

Banned

Swat is super popular...you are in the minority not liking it

And also no voting so you will get those maps and gametypes

matthieuC

All those crying over SWAT need to git the fuck out. SWAT is the only thing left worth playing in Halo multiplayer. Outside Titanfall, Halo SWAT is the greatest thing in online multiplayer shooters.

Are you serious? SWAT is terrible.

Bsigg12

No.

There are no more votes/vetos. CTF/Strongholds(and Breakout until they remove it after its mass unpopularity) rolls up, you have to play it.

Objected playlists have been shafted for the longest time for no reason.

They've been shafted because they are incredibly unpopular.

Well I realized I misspoke about the TDM. My concern still stands with game modes like CTF though apparently? So I'm confused as to why people jumped down my throat like it's some big troll. I honestly don't understand the love for "playlists".

Playlists limit you, yup. Halo 4 had playlists for each gametype. 5 looks to be going back to a Halo 2/3/Reach type-deal.

GECK

Who even asked for Breakout to be mixed with shields based Halo? It's like 343 has perfected the algorithm for maximum butthurt. *hides playlist population*

There is no voting for maps/game types in H5. Also, isnt the auto aim tuned down a ton? I agree objective has been getting the shaft, especially when there could be five playlists hitting nearly all the communities desires. Objective has been sorely lacking for the past few releases though and it breaks my heart.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Are you serious? SWAT is terrible.

No. You're both terrible. SWAT removes all the inconsistencies and flat out BULLSHIT that Halo has always had in it and distills the experience into a focused, blissful game that requires reflexes and skill in aiming for the head. It's also great for reducing the effect lag has on those playing outside the US. Lag affects SWAT far less than any of the game types that involve a bullshit shield.

Yes, all the balance for all weapons and all abilities created and tuned based on the ttk with shields, and SWAT should be the main playlist. OK.

Glass

Breakout only makes up for 2 out of the 13 games in the slayer playlist. I guess it's been tucked in there to get people who wouldn't normally jump into another playlist to try it out without it being the bigger commitment of going into its own playlist.

And if it really doesn't go down well, the monthly multiplayer updates will hopefully bring about much quicker playlist tinkering.

Top Bottom