• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 sales in the UK [Excludes digital sales]

Xater

The 20% come from an actual survey that includes more people than your 10 friends. It's likely that you and your friends all fit into the same demographic which is why it seems like so much more to you.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/12...nsole-gamers-still-prefer-physical-to-digital

Thanks for finding that. I was looking for the survey. Also yeah digital game sales for example in Germany are even lower on consoles. Which shouldn't surprise anyone considering the prices they ask for on the digital stores.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Your using retail Amazon sales to make a case for digital sales. Digital sales are a scarecrow; if we compare Halo 4 and MCC which also were released in a recent time we can see its not great for Halo 5.

Digital sales are not new and a collection game sold 2/3rds of the mainline entry. Not great.

I absolutely think a big issue is not moving consoles. MCC vs 5 shows its lost wider appeal - but this is not a install base issue - this is Halo not selling those systems anymore - might be down to the competition but its still not competing well.

Halo 4 was quite a while ago now, digital sale numbers have skyrocketed since 2012.

I have a feeling Halo 5 will have pretty long sales legs with the MP being so strong, and Xmas a few months away.

RulkezX

I doubt that 360/PS3 digital sales were even close to 10% of total sales numbers. I think with this generation we're at 40% or even more.

Pretty much everyone I know buys their games now on the stores. With the last gen the only games they bought were arcade games...

Digital in the UK was the most expensive easy to buy it (45 vs 39 in multiple stores) Digital on consoles isn't a huge % in the UK due to higj digital prices and low retail.
Well I see 32% in 2014 for PC and consoles... Coming from 21% in 2013. So I think 40-50% in 2015 is possible...

You don't think the fact that the PC is pretty much 100% digital skews those figures?

Ashtar

A full price title which was priced cheaper digitally @ £45?

I live in the UK. I'll iterate, I know one person who bought this physically. That's digital 900% outselling physical in my friendship circle.
Dude stop trying to use anecdotal evidence it's not working.
I wonder what U.S. sales were like as someone said its been a week and no PR statement so ms may be unsatisfied with its performance

madmackem

I live in the UK. I'll iterate, I know one person who bought this physically. That's digital 900% outselling physical in my friendship circle.
You could get halo for £39.99 and cheaper online for launch.

leeh

The 20% come from an actual survey that includes more people than your 10 friends. It's likely that you and your friends all fit into the same demographic which is why it seems like so much more to you.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/12...nsole-gamers-still-prefer-physical-to-digital
Obviously 10 is far from being a reliable data set as there's no chance of it outselling physical by 900%, but as from for example the poster above. 20% is far too low. There's no way 1/5 are buying digitally.

EGM1966

Is this the case of not having enough market-share?
HALO 2 was on the OG Xbox. I doubt it's install base. Install base never stopped Halo before because it shifts consoles if needed and/or has a high attach rate.

This is much more likely to be Halo 4 failing to be "sticky" with majority for MP, a narrative that now excludes those that haven't bothered with EU (they may a big mistake with this IMHO) and lingering effects of MCC.

If word of mouth on MP is good enough it might improve but the franchise took a big it with 4 and MCC.

I was always there day one for the SP which I enjoyed in its cliched Science Fantasy way and then moving on to coop/MP.

Not so with 5. I have no interest in all the blue team, Locke whatever stuff and I've found the way the narrative has gone boring now, over focusing on Spartans, politics and over aggrandising its C grade SF story.

Coop with buddies is gone and while MP is good the whole isn't enough to make me feel I need the game enough to get an XB1.

I've tried it at s friends and dropped SP as it just interest me now. MP I thought was very good particularly at 60fps and that's what they need to focus on short term I think.

Personally though I think the whole narrative approach needs s major rethink and reboot.

After Halo 3 I think many (myself certainly) thought we were going to see. New cycle with new enemies, a new place in deep space and a sense of a soft reboot). Instead Halo 4 started with more covenant (yawn) introduced new foes who were dull and it turned out I needed to read books to even get what they were after (no thanks) and then it screwed the pooch being overly self referential. MP that didn't feel like the Halo MP I wanted really was the cherry on top.

Halo 4 wasn't bad as such, it was very solid really. But it wasn't what I (and I think many) wanted. MCC then eroded confidence in 343 to deliver robust code. When Halo 5 marketing kicked off it felt like it was for the hardcore into the EU and not for someone like me who only plays the games.

In fact outside the MP that's how I would sum up H5 at this point. Designed for the smaller EU hardcore not the larger games only demographic.

nynt9

Assassin's Creed had a weak launch, Halo had a weak launch. Maybe it's time to ask what is going on in the UK if another game fails to connect? Are UK consumers losing confidence in release quality, going digital or simply spending their money else where?

Both franchises are past their prime in terms of hype and are coming after the two most broken games the industry has ever seen. I don't think the problem is the UK.

You can buy it wayy cheaper online. Just stop.

erale

In the uk retail is still largely the best option there were many deals for halo that got you the game and a live card for under rrp. U.K. Retail is still fantastic way to buy games because of the deals. Your paying £10-15 more to have it on hdd and then you can't trade in which is still huge here.

Well I almost never traded in my games. And if I did I just got about 10 Euro in average. So I just go with the digital games and save those 10 Euro from the beginning ;)

Halo 4 was quite a while ago now, digital sale numbers have skyrocketed since 2012.

I have a feeling Halo 5 will have pretty long sales legs with the MP being so strong, and Xmas a few months away.

So you say it's legit to compare Halo 5 to other games which have recently been released on XBOX One. And I for one do not get how Halo 5 was not able to beat Sony-marketed Destiny... That's just bad.

Chobel

Obviously 10 is far from being a reliable data set as there's no chance of it outselling physical by 900%, but as from for example the poster above. 20% is far too low. There's no way 1/5 are buying digitally.

LOL! You really need to update you info. Digital is 20% at best (around time of release).

AwRy108

Not sure how the US compares to the UK numbers, but Amazon had it for $50 and NewEgg had it for $40 a day or two after launch, which seemed like a desperate tactic to move more copies.

SparkTR

Pretty sure it's a lot higher this year. Cannot find the link, but for ex The witcher 3 digital made %50 sales.

It was 50% of revenue, and that was mainly due to so many sales happening on their own digital platform gog.com, where they get 100% of the profit.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
According to TrueAchievements it's sold about triple of Forza Motorsport 6 so far. So in the 3 million range worldwide for the first week. That's not bad but Halo 4 of course sold three million on the first day. I'm sure a lot of people were sceptical after Halo 4 if Halo 5 would be any good so lower sales are expected, they'll pick up in the next week due to good word of mouth.

Also NPD tracked digital vs physical and released a chart earlier this year pertaining to previous years. Note that digital includes DLC, mobile/social games, subscriptions, and full digital game downloads. And given all those it still barely surpassed physical game disc purchases in the US. Unless digital is taking off at an unprecedented adoption rate in the UK, pretending Halo 5 is going to double up seems pretty absurd. Sorry 900%ers.
ESA-Sales-Data.jpg

kadotsu

Banned
Here is the actual Witcher 3 data:

CD Projekt Red representative has responded to a financial question added on their official corporate forums.

By the end of June 2015 platform split looked as follows:

PC - 30%
Consoles - 70%

25% - Digital sales (50% of the total revenue)
75% - Retail

Recently released financial data excludes the proceeds from Expansion Passes/preorders.

80% of all marketing costs were covered by the distributors - namely Namco Bandai, Warner Bros and partners in other regions.

Around 4.3% of all copies were sold in Poland.

Kayant

Pretty sure it's a lot higher this year. Cannot find the link, but for ex The witcher 3 digital made %50 sales.

*25%.

CD Projekt Red representative [URL="https://www.cdprojekt.com/Forum,t,377,topic_page,55"]has responded
to a financial question added on their official corporate forums.

By the end of June 2015 platform split looked as follows:

PC - 30%
Consoles - 70%

25% - Digital sales (50% of the total revenue)
75% - Retail

Recently released financial data excludes the proceeds from Expansion Passes/preorders. [/URL]

Edit - beaten...

For people citing digital sales:

In 2014 Digital console sales made up 9% of all game sales in germany.

I doubt digital in the UK will make up more than 25-30% at most.

The dude is insane. I don't think there has ever even been a full price non-PC game that made even 50% of it's total sales digitally.

The most impressive results I can remember (and we have solid numbers on) are probably Animal Crossing: New Leaf and Monster Hunter 4 (I think both did around 15-25%).

But thats in Japan. And on a handheld.

leeh

LOL! You really need to update you info. Digital is 20% at best (around time of release).
Well to begin Witcher 3 had 25% across all 3 platforms digitally. So how about you, or anyone else for that matter, provide evidence, rather than put LOL like a child.

I'd also speculate that the digital split for this will be much higher based on the nature of the original concept for the XB1, with it being first party and not being priced at £55 on the store, like every other game is.

I'd say it had similar numbers to Halo 2 in that list.

Xando

I thought digital prices in the UK were a huge ripoff.

They are, all over europe.

10€ - 20€ more expensive than retail most of the time.

Got it. But then the report also says, that the digital trend was starting in other countries way earlier and is grower way stronger than it is in Germany.
Yeah that's why i said 25-30% at most. No way it's close to 50% with how it's priced

SparkTR

Well to begin Witcher 3 had 25% across all 3 platforms digitally. So how about you, or anyone else for that matter, provide evidence, rather than put LOL like a child.

I'd also speculate that the digital split for this will be much higher based on the nature of the original concept for the XB1, with it being first party and not being priced at £55 on the store, like every other game is.

I'd say it had similar numbers to Halo 2.

That 25% is likely dominated by PC sales, which is usually 70-90% digital. I don't think you can extrapolate that for Halo 5.

Menome

I bought it for £16 brand new, digitally. It's not UK region based, which would skew these figures, but personally I don't know why people are buying physical this gen.

Because 3/4 of the people buying games still probably know sod-all about dubious key-seller sites or region-switched accounts on their consoles.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

Since one of Witcher 3's platforms is PC, I have massive doubts the digital share on consoles was near 20% up to when those numers were released, honestly.

Wow that headline needs a reword.

Isn't that retail sales only? And not digital?

Yes; it's a bit of a spurious headline considering we don't have data for the original game, but that still makes it the lowest selling mainline game from the franchise in ~14 years. And although digital is gaining more and more ground, I think analysts still peg it around 20-25% copies sold for the biggest of releases. And I imagine they're mostly referencing North America when they say that, as certainly here in Europe we get shafted on digital pricing.

Interfectum

I'd say it had similar numbers to Halo 2 in that list.

That 25% includes PC. That skews the percentage up.

Alucrid

Banned

Dudes going full nelson

Top Bottom