• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite – Sandbox Team Q&A

Vasto

Community Manager John Junyszek and Lead Sandbox Designer Quinn Delhoyo sit down and answer community questions in the 1st Ask 343 segment.

In our most recent edition of Inside Infinite, we asked you to send us your questions on Twitter using #Ask343 - and, we've returned with our very first episode! This time around we sit down with Quinn DelHoyo, of Halo Infinite's Sandbox Team, to follow-up with some of your most burning questions.

Greeno

I'm sick of all these talks. Show some fucking footage.

They will not be showcasing any gameplay until the visuals part is top-notch and nobody can catch a bad frame and emphasize it. That would be what I would do in their position (wait until everything related to visuals is polished).

Any new details about the game? I couldn’t put myself through the video.

065.gif

Kikorin

Damage response system for vehicles seems cool. Even if the reveal was awful, I'm still excited to play the game in future, I hope they'll made a well done single player campaign, I liked Halo 4 but never played 5 because from trailers everything looked developed for multiplayer and I don't care about it.

II_JumPeR_I

They will not be showcasing any gameplay until the visuals part is top-notch and nobody can catch a bad frame and emphasize it.
That will happen anyway. And i have the feeling that folks expect way too much from the supposed graphical upgrade...
Its all talk so far without any substance

Looks like the plasma rifle is coming back, 343 never had it if I recall. I hope they get the game right, wasn't a fan of halo 4 and 5.

jakinov

Since they decided on delaying it so far out and based on the changes and who they've been hiring, the game is arguably/probably back in ALPHA. They are probably doing a lot more than just polishing and fixing bugs. And so aren't going to show anything now if it's going to be significantly different later. You are going to see stuff to align with marketing events (i.e. E3) and a lot more closer to launch.

II_JumPeR_I

Why would they show it when last time it went bad, it's better to show it when ready. Also not sure if you saw they showed some screens of the armor,weapons and map.
Last time we have seen the game is July 2020...
There should be some significant progress since then. Secrecy doesnt help

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Magnum no long a stock loadout weapon or are they actually getting rid of the magnum outright?
Would be ballsy to launch without the Magnum entirely.

Also no classic shotgun?
As long as whatever the replacement is has the same levels of satisfaction then im all for it....dunno why you would replace a perfectly good weapon with another one that does the exact same job though?

Bring on E3 period so we can see the level of polish they have put on this game.
It was content complete some time ago right, so all they doing is bug fixes and making it look pretty?
Wonder if Cherno is gonna come back to make a video about how bad the game looks.

Umbasaborne

Banned
While i get your frustration, last time they showed footage it looked so undercooked that it was deservedly dragged through the dirt. I dont think they will show the game again until they think they can come close to the visuals showcased in the first trailer from 2018. An absolute failure if they don’t. Microsoft should be embarassed about this entire fucking fiasco. The one big next gen game they had gets delayed a year and they have shit else to put out to show off their new consoles for god knows how long. What an awful first couple of months for the pr for these systems. It sucks because the series x is a great console, but microsoft has absolutely nothing to show the system off with.

Mr.ODST

Depends on how far they’re taking the improvements, I hope they delay it until it at least matches this

Really hope they do come close to this, I remember watching this and thinking holy fuck it looks good.

Lets hope they have got it to this quality, I also hope they remove the "blocks" from Halo Zeta, I know its the aethstetic of the Halo Ring building itself again but it makes it look like they forgot to add assets in that place and it was meant for basic greybox.

Fredrik

Lets hope they have got it to this quality, I also hope they remove the "blocks" from Halo Zeta, I know its the aethstetic of the Halo Ring building itself again but it makes it look like they forgot to add assets in that place and it was meant for basic greybox.
Yeah I agree they should make it clearer what’s actually happening there, looks weird. I hope they’re doing more with the scenery interactivity as well. I want to see mud tracks, grass bending, rocks and debris flying from explosions, etc.

magaman

Banned
  • pvp and campaign will be balanced seperately - Okay?
  • can use grapple to hijack vehicles and pick up weapons - This has cheese written all over it.
  • weapons will receive balance patches post launch - Okay...?
  • new weapons will be added over time, including classics - Okay...?
  • new never before seen weapon to fill the classic shotgun role - What?
  • weapons have different damage types with different affects, kinetic and plasma were mentioned, brute plasma works differently to normal plasma - Careful with balancing...
  • weapons and equipment in pvp spawn on the map ala classic halo / halo 5 - This is god. I hate the BF formula of spawning vehicles.
  • new damage model / damage response system for vehicles. "more to it than simply health / when a certain tire gets shot out vehicle will drive differently / more choices of how to eliminate or affect vehicles" - This could be good.
  • new grenade mechanics eg. spike grenades do damage on stick, can potentially kill a grunt or low hp enemy on impact - ?
  • sidekick pistol replacing the magnum to draw a more solid line between pistol and rifle engagement distances - Why?

Overall, a mixed bag of news.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
  • pvp and campaign will be balanced seperately - Okay?
  • can use grapple to hijack vehicles and pick up weapons - This has cheese written all over it.
  • weapons will receive balance patches post launch - Okay...?
  • new weapons will be added over time, including classics - Okay...?
  • new never before seen weapon to fill the classic shotgun role - What?
  • weapons have different damage types with different affects, kinetic and plasma were mentioned, brute plasma works differently to normal plasma - Careful with balancing...
  • weapons and equipment in pvp spawn on the map ala classic halo / halo 5 - This is god. I hate the BF formula of spawning vehicles.
  • new damage model / damage response system for vehicles. "more to it than simply health / when a certain tire gets shot out vehicle will drive differently / more choices of how to eliminate or affect vehicles" - This could be good.
  • new grenade mechanics eg. spike grenades do damage on stick, can potentially kill a grunt or low hp enemy on impact - ?
  • sidekick pistol replacing the magnum to draw a more solid line between pistol and rifle engagement distances - Why?

Overall, a mixed bag of news.

The campaign and pvp being balanced separately makes sense because the meta in campaign doesnt have to be and usually is different to the meta in the pvp so instead of blanket changes they can make weapons work well for campaign while having separate balancing ensuring people dont abuse said weapons in pvp.

Halo always had different damage types...plasma worked better against shields...bullets(kinetic) worked better once shields were down.
Im guessing they are just putting this difference front and center because people need their hands held and wouldnt have figured it out otherwise.

Vehicle damage model sounds so much better than just keep shooting the warthog in the ass, itll eventually completely conk out.
If we can more tactically choose where to damage vehicles it adds an extra layer of skill both to vehicle users and people taking down vehicles.

The sidekick pistol im not quite sold on. If it completely replaces the Magnum thats fucked, if the Magnum is still int he game its just not a default loadout weapon I could live with that.

Still hiding multiplayer away from fans, why?. Where is that promised open communication 343. So much for a meaningful beta where the devs have time and resources to adjust feedback from players. It's only a network test once again and a one shot deal when released, again.

6 years and no multiplayer shown. I'm not impressed by a video chat at this stage.

Renozokii

Why would they show it when last time it went bad, it's better to show it when ready. Also not sure if you saw they showed some screens of the armor,weapons and map.
How much more is there to do before it being at least close to finalized? The game was due last year. Xbox has had one exclusive so far this gen and it blows. This is pathetic lmao

Cutty Flam

Banned
I honestly can't wait to see what maps they've created. The grappleshot is going to be a lot of fun to use. That would have been a very interesting to have in Halo 2 and Halo 3 multiplayer, a lot of the maps were so wide open and an experienced Banshee pilot could devastate the outcome of any particular match with a Banshee available to fly

One of my favorite things about Halo is driving the warthog. Always prided myself in being the guy who can make it easy and smooth of a ride for the gunner as possible. One time, I was playing CTF on Standoff (BTB on Halo 3) with my friend and we decided to wreck our opponents. He ended up getting 81 kills lol. That's what I hope is back, the great freedom to roam a map both on foot and with a vehicle of some type. If they master that, and it is a joy to navigate all the maps both on foot and by vehicle again, that would be perfect. That's really all that's been on my mind as of late, how are they going to bring back the magic that Halo maps used to hold in each and every one? That's what I miss the most

Last edited:

stickkidsam

I honestly can't wait to see what maps they've created. The grappleshot is going to be a lot of fun to use. That would have been a very interesting to have in Halo 2 and Halo 3 multiplayer, a lot of the maps were so wide open and an experienced Banshee pilot could devastate the outcome of any particular match with a Banshee available to fly

One of my favorite things about Halo is driving the warthog. Always prided myself in being the guy who can make it easy and smooth of a ride for the gunner as possible. One time, I was playing CTF on Standoff (BTB on Halo 3) with my friend and we decided to wreck our opponents. He ended up getting 81 kills lol. That's what I hope is back, the great freedom to roam a map both on foot and with a vehicle of some type. If they master that, and it is a joy to navigate all the maps both on foot and by vehicle again, that would be perfect. That's really all that's been on my mind as of late, how are they going to bring back the magic that Halo maps used to hold in each and every one? That's what I miss the most
BTB is the heart and soul of Halo Multiplayer. Arena stuff is important, but vehicles are the spice that brings it all together for an all out amazing experience unlike any other game I've played.

Fingers crossed they nail it.

Cutty Flam

Banned
BTB is the heart and soul of Halo Multiplayer. Arena stuff is important, but vehicles are the spice that brings it all together for an all out amazing experience unlike any other game I've played.

Fingers crossed they nail it.
BTB is the best. Back in Halo 2, it was king. The most fun gametype I’ve ever played in my life. Loved everything about it. The expansive maps were picture perfect, the vehicles were excellent (I especially loved patching up the bases in Waterworks for CTF defense with a Wraith + large boxes or crates) and vehicles also made the game exciting since they were the team’s hope to lead swift and powerful attacks. Whether it was accomplishing some kind of drop off mission, an ambush of some sort, or just dominating a specific sector of the map, even the map in its entirety if you were good enough. The large space to travel and the vehicles creating various opportunities within gametypes was incredible. I think some people even mastered ramming their flag carrier with a ghost (if the flag carrier had an overshield) and launching him for a great push or head start towards the capture point at base. Players got real crafty and creative with their tactics and strategy in Halo 2 and Halo 3. Halo 4 was so empty in that regard, that BTB was basically rendered soulless by much of us fans. Sprint made large maps feel medium sized AT BEST in Halo 4, the areas were too plain, basically even their best BTB map did everything imaginable wrong. I hope 343i can turn it around and make BTB the gametype it was always meant to be. Something expansive, a collaborative all-out mission. Would be great to see a 10v10 or 12v12 option as well; that could be a lot of fun if done right

The same with Halo 3 mostly; Bungie did really well by their Big Team Battle fans. Sandtrap was 10/10 work

Top Bottom