• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite graphical comparison 2020 2021

FireFly

I can't even tell which is supposed to be before and which is supposed to be after.
The screens with the more detailed looking textures are after.

(The last demo received criticism primarily for its graphics during the single player gameplay, not the cutscenes. It's not clear to me how we would expect to see huge improvements in something that was never shown)

Last edited:

IDappa

I'm discussing the topic and giving my opinion. If you don't like my opinion and you are incapable of having a discussion then quite frankly, tough shit.

Do you want me to lie and say I see a big difference when I don't just to make you feel good?

This is not producing what I'd expect from a flagship title and yet again it's showing was underwhelming. The reaction games like flight sim and Forza Horizon are getting is what they should be striving for, especially with the amount of time and resources they've thrown at it.

Halo fans chomping at the bit for another Halo will no doubt find reasons to be excited but I'm not seeing it being talked up outside of that circle.

P.S. If you want to discuss me rather than halo then it is you who is derailing the thread.
I was very impressed by FH5 when that was shown and while I agree they should be striving for a higher fidelity and feel there's plenty of room for improvement, saying that there is no improvement like you have is absolutely ludicrous. I would say if you truly believe there is no change between the two showings you should get some glasses or if you have some already get new ones.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I always thought the game looked pretty good for a title targeting 60 fps on base xbox one, so I'm probably an outlier.

Looking at the gun model comparisons being shared around the Internet and it's a huge improvement that I didn't know I wanted. I'll take it. I just can't wait to play the damned thing.

All they have showed is the multiplayer right? I expect the single player campaign to look better.
Of course the campaign is 60fps the MP 120fps. What they showed of the campaign looked impressive, but it's still got another 4 months of development time, it will improve again.

Killer8

A lot of people are definitely overlooking the fact this is running at 60fps (and 120fps in a performance mode). I saw someone elsewhere comparing it to Horizon 2, a game targetting 30fps, which is just ridiculous.

Robb

Gold Member
This all looks good but what I'd really like to see is the main enemy again. The models for the enemies was the main thing that really stood out as bad to me in the orginal reveal.

The guy that came out of the hologram and was shown in a close-up had very plain textures and teeth that looked like plastic.

shubik

It does look better. Lighting seems to be improved. Texture quality as well. But they also changed the color palette. So it´s kind of hard to tell.

That being said: I thought it was kind of weird to show so little new gameplay of the campaign after all the negative feedback. I have the feeling that although it will be improved, it will not be a looker as people hoped it would be.

Judging based on SONY´s cross-gen titles so far, I have to say that I was much more impressed by Miles Morales and Horizon 2. Sure those are vastly different games but I still feel like you could do more with Halo...

Helghan

That being said: I thought it was kind of weird to show so little new gameplay of the campaign after all the negative feedback. I have the feeling that although it will be improved, it will not be a looker as people hoped it would be.
It's not so weird. Halo always has had their own huge marketing campaigns to share new information, specifically for the SP campaign. They don't necessarily need E3 for this. So I think it's normal that they chose to focus on MP.

shubik

It's not so weird. Halo always has had their own huge marketing campaigns to share new information, specifically for the SP campaign. They don't necessarily need E3 for this. So I think it's normal that they chose to focus on MP.

Sure, could be. I just thought that you want to show a little bit of after you received such backlash.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
A lot of people are definitely overlooking the fact this is running at 60fps (and 120fps in a performance mode). I saw someone elsewhere comparing it to Horizon 2, a game targetting 30fps, which is just ridiculous.
Maybe first you should stop overlooking the fact that single player is in 60 fps and the multiplayer is in 120 fps. There is no "120 fps performance mode".

Last edited:

Sony

Nintendo
I'm quite excited about Halo: Infinite. The gameplay look great and the visuals in the multiplayer overview video were an improvement over the 2020 demo.
However, this graphics comparison is pointless.
- The 2020 demo was a real-time cutscene that transitioned into gameplay
- The 2021 flyover was labeled in-engine and the Master Chief sequence had no label at all, so we don't now if it's gameplay.

Infinite will we a service game, the developers have confirmed that. A lot of people are overlooking the fact that they want to reach a broad audience.
One of the ways to do this is to keep the environmental geometry compexity simple, while increasing the texture quality and lighting.
That way they can cater to different people, randing from low-end PC/base Xbox One all the way to High end PC/ Series X.
People need to accept the fact that Halo: Infinite was never going be and never will be top of the line graphically, the target audience is way too broad for that.

Last edited:

vewn

Good upgrade but a lot of it are artistic decisions that should've been there from the beginning (postFX/more grunge/dirt on the textures & no more diffuse sunset lighting).

Not sure they also added point lights to projectiles but lets hope so

Derktron

Banned
INIR59A.jpg

Razvedka

Banned
Well, I'd counterpoint that this follows the trend for all cross-gen titles.

That said, I think this looks pretty solid. I'm not sure how I'd stack it up against that initial tech teaser with the warthog, though. I'd need to rewatch both.

Last edited:

Razvedka

Banned
I think it'd be cool if the 'weathering' on your gun reflects what kind of area you're in and for what duration + will be 'pristine' again on a new mission or if you take a dip in the water.

It's definitely improved, arguing by how much is up for debate until they show more of the campaign; people should remember devs will have to make tradeoffs if they target up-to 4k / 60 in a (pseudo) open world game.

The key thing is that the multiplayer looked fun.

Mister Wolf

It's definitely improved, arguing by how much is up for debate until they show more of the campaign; people should remember devs will have to make tradeoffs if they target up-to 4k / 60 in a (pseudo) open world game.

The key thing is that the multiplayer looked fun.

The only game this can be fairly compared to is Assassin's Creed Valhalla. Both open world, same performance target, same systems supported including PC day one.

NickFire

Watched snippets of video and checked out the screenshots. It definitely looks improved to me, more than I expected to be honest.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
If they missed the console launch for these minimal graphical upgrades than it did not seem worth it to me. Anyway graphics aren’t key to Halo they’re only intriguing it’s a gameplay first game.

Leyasu

Banned
The game certainly ain't a looker and I still think that they will push it out the door then release an XsX upgrade next year, it is without a doubt an improvement.

I can't say that I am shocked to see the same people in here saying it is just the lighting though. The same people who laughed at digital foundry when they said the lighting was bad, now all of sudden it is just the lighting...

All in all, it is clear that 343 need a massive shake up.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
If they missed the console launch for these minimal graphical upgrades than it did not seem worth it to me. Anyway graphics aren’t key to Halo they’re only intriguing it’s a gameplay first game.
Surely they've been polishing the gameplay as well.

But I think the graphical improvements are a big plus.

BbMajor7th

Difference is definitely appreciable and (thank god) no longer meme-able - I think in motion it'll look just fine. At the end of the day, it's targeting the OG XB1 and will (rightly) prioritise performance over pixels and post-effects. Anyone expecting this to set benchmarks for next-gen visual fidelity is asking for 343i to push a square peg through a round hole.

Much much improved. It looks way more like a next-gen game this time around. I especially liked the way the multiplayer looked, looked great. This is what happens when you're not satisfied and you say something about it. Imagine if no one said anything, the game would have released as it was last year. Granted, you weren't able to enjoy it for a year... but I think what you'll get to play this holiday season will blow away the 2020 version, not in just looks either.

Dr Bass

Looks awesome! Gonna look amazing on PC in Ultrawide!

haloinfinite_campaign01_3840x2160-wm-15719f94c8794f90ac3618f74d99a7b8.png

haloinfinite_campaign02_3840x2160-wm-52b73c9956e14488be803f6f4c2a9074.png

haloinfinite_campaign03_3840x2160-wm-49ef9110969a48a39cdddfb203aefcea.png

haloinfinite_campaign04_3840x2160-wm-7e23f1364cd949d9ba3aec97c7590a00.png

I love the "new Cortana" too :messenger_fire::messenger_fire:
Yeah I do too. I remember feeling so embarrassed when the lady would come into the room when I was playing Halo 4 (skipped 5 so no idea on that one), and Cortana would be standing there basically looking like a nude robot.

This just looks so much more ... normal.

For the record I feel the same way about any game that does that sort of silliness. Street Fighter 6 is one of 'em too. So I like this a lot more. And no it has nothing to do with the current "political scene" and everything to do with not wanting to be perceived as a weirdo that's into that stuff.

Top Bottom