• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite launches holiday 2020, adds Xbox Project Scarlett version

Codes 208

So in yesterdays inside xbox interview he said
“Chief’s new armor takes all the best parts of chief’s legacy. Halo 3 and some bits of 4 and 5 and even some of the extended lore like forward unto dawn.”

Im not seeing anything that suggests designs from 4 or 5. I can see a bit of FuD with that plastered 117. But that’s straight up halo 3 meets halo 2A armor right there son.

But you know what? I dig it. Halo 3 mjolnir mk VI > all other mjolnir mk VI

Last edited:
So in yesterdays inside xbox interview he said
“Chief’s new armor takes all the best parts of chief’s legacy. Halo 3 and some bits of 4 and 5 and even some of the extended lore like forward unto dawn.”

Im not seeing anything that suggests designs from 4 or 5. I can see a bit of FuD with that plastered 117. But that’s straight up halo 3 meets halo 2A armor right there son.

But you know what? I dig it. Halo 3 mjolnir mk VI > all other mjolnir mk VI
The various locks where the machines take the armor off are bits from 4 and 5.

Codes 208

The various locks where the machines take the armor off are bits from 4 and 5.
Thats fair, but somewhat disappointing if thats really all they added. I actually really liked 4 and 5’s helmet and visor.

But again, part of the reason im so stoked over this design is that it fits more with what halo used to be, not what it currently is.

Heres hoping we see more vintage halo designs.

Last edited:
Thats fair, but somewhat disappointing if thats really all they added. I actually really liked 4 and 5’s helmet and visor.

But again, part of the reason im so stoked over this design is that it fits more with what halo used to be, not what it currently is.
I would have to agree, I did like Halo 4 / 5 Chief, but I didn't like how over-designed it was and how it affected the rest of the world. This is a fantastic change.

Codes 208

The armor bootup sequence says last serviced by Catherine Halsey in 2561, so I guess they're using an older salvaged set since space ghost cortana made the Infinity fugitives on the run
Assuming the infinity is still around. Three years is a long time and its possible it already went up in flames.

But that doesnt explain why it said mjolnir gen III which suggests newer armor as his halo 5 armor was gen II

Last edited:

stickkidsam

Seems to me that the armor takes the more tank like structure of the 4/5 armor and applied it to the 2/3 variant.

I'm gonna check it out more in depth later, but my one issue is how small the "diaper" to leg armor ratio is. It just seems off.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Halo will always be mystifying, it's way better than your average shooter out there, I don't know if age is catching up with Halo but it's always been a great game series.

Reactions: RSB

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
It's totally dumb. I felt like Spencer made it sound scarlet only on stage, then Greenberg told Keighley it's back compatible 10 mins after on his post show. Terrible messaging.
This was the opening of Halo Infinite done in engine. Basically Scarlett specs.

If you didn't find this impressive, you need to get your eyes checked. No game has looked quite as "human" as this. It was basically what we see in Cgi cut scenes in real time.

The visuals are ridiculous.

Mochilador

Halo will always be mystifying, it's way better than your average shooter out there, I don't know if age is catching up with Halo but it's always been a great game series.
To me Halo's awesomeness becomes clear when you are playing it on a high difficulty. You have to improvise, use weapons that you don't like because you ran out of ammo. It may feel overwhelming but not unfair.

angelic

Banned
This was the opening of Halo Infinite done in engine. Basically Scarlett specs.

If you didn't find this impressive, you need to get your eyes checked. No game has looked quite as "human" as this. It was basically what we see in Cgi cut scenes in real time.

The visuals are ridiculous.

Firstly, like a lot lately, you havent read or addressed what I said. You answered your own made up points.

I said, and i'll make it clear now, that this game is:

1: going to be held back by having to run on the xbone original hardware, in terms of scope, ambition, environments, design, almost all aspects. Visuals are not the point, the game design on Infinite will be specced to a 9 year old box, and scarlett will add shiny graphics to it.

2: It wasnt that impressive, it was set in a tiny space, mostly grey, very dull, boring art style, certainly not the Bungie Halo 1 art style, and looked all very dull.

3: every year people swallow this "all shown in engine" crap. Anthem was "in engine". Watch dogs was "in engine". Theyre all lovely in their engines, until 6 months before launch they realise performance isnt right, and untick all the special effects boxes.

Sorry but until it's out and real, anyone who's ever seen anything at E3 should know, it's all smoke and mirrors, fake and purpose built. Go and read Schreir's book Blood Sweat and Pixels. Almost every game covered runs an unobtainable/faked/unrepresentative demo. So please, don't come at me with "wow look at the visuals" on this, because they will change, dramatically, plus having it run on the OG machine is a horrendous mistake.

Im not trying to fight you by the way, these are just my opinions, and I keep getting totally misquoted this week.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
This demo is running on Xbox one X correct?

It was supposedly running on a PC.

Last edited:
Firstly, like a lot lately, you havent read or addressed what I said. You answered your own made up points.

I said, and i'll make it clear now, that this game is:

1: going to be held back by having to run on the xbone original hardware, in terms of scope, ambition, environments, design, almost all aspects. Visuals are not the point, the game design on Infinite will be specced to a 9 year old box, and scarlett will add shiny graphics to it.

2: It wasnt that impressive, it was set in a tiny space, mostly grey, very dull, boring art style, certainly not the Bungie Halo 1 art style, and looked all very dull.

3: every year people swallow this "all shown in engine" crap. Anthem was "in engine". Watch dogs was "in engine". Theyre all lovely in their engines, until 6 months before launch they realise performance isnt right, and untick all the special effects boxes.

Sorry but until it's out and real, anyone who's ever seen anything at E3 should know, it's all smoke and mirrors, fake and purpose built. Go and read Schreir's book Blood Sweat and Pixels. Almost every game covered runs an unobtainable/faked/unrepresentative demo. So please, don't come at me with "wow look at the visuals" on this, because they will change, dramatically, plus having it run on the OG machine is a horrendous mistake.

Im not trying to fight you by the way, these are just my opinions, and I keep getting totally misquoted this week.

Also worth pointing out this series has a history of exactly the kind of E3 demo graphics and lighting downgrades to release you mentioned.

That said.. Maybe it won't apply this time because.. why shouldn't it look like that on a high spec'd PC or Scarlett late next year?

I'll say this scene doesn't have the same level of complexity, layers and post processing seen in some of the best PS4 exclusives, but I'm still digging what they are doing here because it looks crisp as fuck and it makes all the edges and colors pop. I'm excited to see this transition into the giant spaces they teased last year.

DavidGzz

Maybe they will do something to reinvigorate the series but idk if they can without pissing off the fans. I don't want the same old Halo with updated graphics but people want them to remove anything that changes the gameplay up like the Sprint etc. I don't know how everyone is ok with a Spartan moving around like a common CoD grunt besides the high jumping capability. I'd rather this be 3rd person and have the spartan be as bad ass as he is in the books.

CyberPanda

Banned
Maybe they will do something to reinvigorate the series but idk if they can without pissing off the fans. I don't want the same old Halo with updated graphics but people want them to remove anything that changes the gameplay up like the Sprint etc. I don't know how everyone is ok with a Spartan moving around like a common CoD grunt besides the high jumping capability. I'd rather this be 3rd person and have the spartan be as bad ass as he is in the books.
Well, from what I've read they are going to make this one more 'open', and we'll see how the gamplay is when they show it. Fingers crossed. But, if they fuck this one up, I'm done.

ive always been one of those Halo purists who has always just wanted Halo CE with upgraded graphics and new maps. However, it just wont cut it these days. Overwatch has proven that you can still have a successful sprint-less shooter but it also adds a ton of different mobility options to make it fresh.

Halo Infinite, I hope, makes Halo THE skill-based console shooter again while simultaneously adding fresh and unique elements. Halo 5 definitely brought back halo 2/3 gameplay but it was still missing something. Idk if it was just the poor map quality or what but it was just not interesting enough to keep me playing.

I dont envy 343, its a very tall order for them to fill.

CyberPanda

Banned
ive always been one of those Halo purists who has always just wanted Halo CE with upgraded graphics and new maps. However, it just wont cut it these days. Overwatch has proven that you can still have a successful sprint-less shooter but it also adds a ton of different mobility options to make it fresh.

Halo Infinite, I hope, makes Halo THE skill-based console shooter again while simultaneously adding fresh and unique elements. Halo 5 definitely brought back halo 2/3 gameplay but it was still missing something. Idk if it was just the poor map quality or what but it was just not interesting enough to keep me playing.

I dont envy 343, its a very tall order for them to fill.
After all the backlash they got for Halo 5, they must be feeling a lot of pressure. IF Infinite flops, I think Bonnie Ross is going to get fired.

oldergamer

Some keople here will complain no matter what was shown. This was a dame good teaser and running on new hardware.

1. Anyone saying this looks last gen or like anything current gen needs to get thier head checked. No flight sim doesnt look better. This was a in engine realtime cutscene.

2. No console currently in market could look this good and maintain 4k 60fps. This is running on new hardware. Im assuming, Dev kits are not out for third parties, but ms would have some beta or test hardware. Considering both next xbox and ps5 are modified off the shelf parts.

3. The teaser last year was an engine demo. This one is a teaser for the game next year. Two different goals on what to show.

4. Some of the comllaints in this thread are the dumbest i ever heard. You want games and ms shows something, you complain. If ms shows nothing, you complain, 60% of the people here have unrealistic expectations.

pawel86ck

Banned
Some keople here will complain no matter what was shown. This was a dame good teaser and running on new hardware.

1. Anyone saying this looks last gen or like anything current gen needs to get thier head checked. No flight sim doesnt look better. This was a in engine realtime cutscene.

2. No console currently in market could look this good and maintain 4k 60fps. This is running on new hardware. Im assuming, Dev kits are not out for third parties, but ms would have some beta or test hardware. Considering both next xbox and ps5 are modified off the shelf parts.

3. The teaser last year was an engine demo. This one is a teaser for the game next year. Two different goals on what to show.

4. Some of the comllaints in this thread are the dumbest i ever heard. You want games and ms shows something, you complain. If ms shows nothing, you complain, 60% of the people here have unrealistic expectations.
Agree. The thing is current PS4 and xbox one base consoles run games at 1080p, and if you want to run the same game at 4K (while maintaining XBOXO/PS4 graphics fidelity) then you already need x4 faster GPU for 30fps experience and x8 faster GPU for 60fps experience. With this in mind I wasnt expecting to see some big graphics fidelity increase on around 10TF GPU (xbox scarlett and ps5 will most likely use around 10TF GPU), but holo infinite trailer not only shows 4K resolution and 60fps but also visible graphics fidelity increase at the same time (indirect lighting, shadows and textures especially), and that's why I'm so impressed. I think in the future games on xbox scarlett will push graphics fidelity even higher but at lower resolutions (1440p and 1800p probably).

Last edited:
Yes but the entire game is held back by having to run on a 9 year old system (by the time december 2020 arrives).

9 year old system? Are you sure 2013 (which is when Xbox One launched) is 9 years? Let's see... 9 plus 2013 = 2022 unless my math is incorrect which most likely it is... 😘

angelic

Banned
9 year old system? Are you sure 2013 (which is when Xbox One launched) is 9 years? Let's see... 9 plus 2013 = 2022 unless my math is incorrect which most likely it is... 😘

im a little bit out, but released 2013, most likely designed a year before to get the parts etc. Halo 5 launches xmas 2020, so basically almost 2021. So Halo 5 having to run on a system that old is gonna hold it back.

Lone Wolf

im a little bit out, but released 2013, most likely designed a year before to get the parts etc. Halo 5 launches xmas 2020, so basically almost 2021. So Halo 5 having to run on a system that old is gonna hold it back.
Nice math gymnastics. If you are going to apply your math to the Xbox One, you need to apply it to the Scarlet as well.

Slipspace engine is very scalable. I don't think it will be holding it back. the trailer visuals do not show any resembles of any fps game that looks like that on current gen hardware. Plus developers have learned how to be able to scale things on a much bigger spectrum. Consoles are like PCs now, it's not like the old days.

angelic

Banned
Nice math gymnastics. If you are going to apply your math to the Xbox One, you need to apply it to the Scarlet as well.

Ok let's spell it out. Xbox one will hold halo 5 back design wise, because its 8 year old tech. Your little defence force doesnt change that.

Ok let's spell it out. Xbox one will hold halo 5 back design wise, because its 8 year old tech. Your little defence force doesnt change that.

Hate to break it to you bro and no offense. I've read many of your posts and they really do come off as Sony Defense Force. Really not a good to try to tell someone else about a Defense Force when you do it the most out of everyone else. Makes the whole thing kind of funny. lol.

Last edited:

angelic

Banned
I never said otherwise.

Oh, okey doke.

Hate to break it to you bro and no offense. I've read many of your posts and they really do come off as Sony Defense Force. Really not a good to try to tell someone else about a Defense Force when you do it the most out of everyone else. Makes the whole thing kind of funny. lol.

I was more of an xbox player on 360, and I was burned on xb1, although I still own one and do use it. I'm more of a Sony guy now . I still have all my xbox hardware though, crystal modded xbox, 360 and catalogue, xb1. This will be the 1st time I dont buy their new gen box, but I will play Halo 6 presuming it does come to XB1.

I've over answered that point, but it's all info as to who I am and why my opinions exist.

Oh, okey doke.

I was more of an xbox player on 360, and I was burned on xb1, although I still own one and do use it. I'm more of a Sony guy now . I still have all my xbox hardware though, crystal modded xbox, 360 and catalogue, xb1. This will be the 1st time I dont buy their new gen box, but I will play Halo 6 presuming it does come to XB1.

I've over answered that point, but it's all info as to who I am and why my opinions exist.

So you already decided not to buy their new gen console based on what facts and research? We barely have any factual information as far as actual 100% specs numbers go, launch titles (besides Halo infinite), system functions and things of that nature.

Nor do we know anything about PS5 either... as a matter of fact we have more information on Project Scarlett than PS5. I really don't understand how people come to conclusions so fast or is it simply because its a popular thing to hate Microsoft and Xbox these days and everyone is looking at sraws to latch on too. Lol.

Last edited:

angelic

Banned
So you already decided not to buy their new gen console based on what facts and research? We barely have any factual information as far as actual 100% specs numbers go, launch titles, system functions and thinga of that nature. Nor do we know anything about PS5 either... as a matter of fact we have more information on Project Scarlett than PS5. I really don't understand how people come to conclusions so fast or is it simply because jts a popular thing to hate Microsoft and Xbox these days? Lol.

I dont want more than one next gen system, and ps5 will have more japanese stuff, which I mainly play..EDFs, Nier, that sort of thing. I imagine both boxes will have similar spec.

Havoc2049

Is it possible that the Pilot is Ignacio Delgado?

Any lore buffs out there think that’s who it is?

From the Cole Protocol. It could be him. I couldn’t tell if it was a Spanish accent or Eastern European accent. If we would have seen an M6 pistol with a wooden handle, then we would know for sure.

Last edited:
Top Bottom