• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Infinite - No Co-op or Forge at launch

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Absolutely gutting, will have to wait 3 months for my legendary co op run.
heroic single player it is, game better be amazing.

Stuart360

From what they are saying in the video, it seems almost like the extra year has been almost a semi waste because its been a Covid year. It seems the year has been used more for polishing the stuff that was going to be ready for launch, as oppose to the year being used to get everything they want in the game ready for launch.
For me, i never played co-op campaign, but i know a lot do.

Jaybe

Game pass is the new early access.

Surprised that until Aug 2020 they thought they could release in 2020.

Personally, no biggie to me. I would have likely played through single player first myself. I do hope the campaign is fantastic but expectations are tempered.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
giphy-downsized-large.gif
False. What's cringe is 343i shipping a Halo game without Campaign co-op, whilst simultaneously calling the feature, "fundamental to the Halo Experience" and saying how they realized, "how essential that experience of playing campaign together with your family and friends, whether network or split-screen, really is."

Last edited:

Stuart360

Game pass is the new early access.

Surprised that until Aug 2020 they thought they could release in 2020.

Personally, no biggie to me. I would have likely played through single player first myself. I do hope the campaign is fantastic but expectations are tempered.
They always talked about Halo Infinite as a '10 year project' that will continue to grow other the years, a GAAS game if you like. It has nothing to do with Gamepass. Gamepass isnt litered with Early Access games.

DeepSpace5D

Bummer for those who love to play in co-op, I always played the campaigns solo personally.

I’d like to see more of the campaign though myself.

GHG

"I think the team made a trade-off based on what they see happening in the market today and what they wanted to do with their game," Spencer explained. "I love the nostalgia of the couch co-op of what Halo did in the past, but I also know in the realities of the day with people's busy lives, it's not as easy to get everybody in the same physical place. It's one of the advantages that Xbox Live Game Pass obviously offers."

clarky

Gold Member
This game got a whole extra year and still can't meet the launch date, damn feel bad for co-op and forge folks.
I feel bad for stealing when i was 7 years old. I also feel bad for not picking up my dogshit in the local park. How do you feel about me?

Could you talk more about the bad feelings your having for these folks who will have to wait a few extra months to make maps in a video game?

coffinbirth

False. What's cringe is 343i shipping a Halo game without Campaign co-op, whilst simultaneously calling the feature, "fundamental to the Halo Experience" and saying how they realized, "how essential that experience of playing campaign together with your family and friends, whether network or split-screen, really is."
Hey, Dwight...relax. Dismissing a game you haven't played and you obviously won't be good at "whilst" emotionally melting down over it is, in fact, cringe. ;)

R6Rider

Gold Member
I feel bad for stealing when i was 7 years old. I also feel bad for not picking up my dogshit in the local park. How do you feel about me?

Could you talk more about the bad feelings your having for these folks who will have to wait a few extra months to make maps in a video game?
im salty rooster teeth GIF by Achievement Hunter

BeardGawd

Banned
I loved the multiplayer test but this has become a bit of a joke. All these years plus an extra year and they can't get coop in for launch?

I don't understand how they can be so incompetent when it comes to basic shit.

Interfectum

I think the Forge delay may be slightly more disappointing. We are talking 6+ months after Infinite launch... The people interested in making maps for Forge would probably like to release their creations within the release zeitgeist for maximum feedback and exposure.

Naked Lunch

Fine by me.
I usually dont even touch campaign until Ive played multiplayer to death.
My first run through Halo campaigns is done solo too - lets me absorb the story more than chatting it up with a friend.

They really cant delay this again so it looks like getting co-op running was the hang up.

Rivet

Will they even release the full game before Star Citizen?

I don't understand why it's so long with so many people working on the game now.

Last edited:

yurinka

It's going to be a GaaS, so it's normal they save content for later to have nice post launch content to have fresh stuff months and years after release.

Hey, Dwight...relax. Dismissing a game you haven't played and you obviously won't be good at "whilst" emotionally melting down over it is, in fact, cringe. ;)

lol @ calling out a guy for saying whilst
for some reason this is so petty it cracks me up

Edit: "and you obviously won't be good at" lmao

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
"I think the team made a trade-off based on what they see happening in the market today and what they wanted to do with their game," Spencer explained. "I love the nostalgia of the couch co-op of what Halo did in the past, but I also know in the realities of the day with people's busy lives, it's not as easy to get everybody in the same physical place. It's one of the advantages that Xbox Live Game Pass obviously offers."

Well with GamePass, I guess it's easier (cheaper) to get the online co-op....but then again Infinite does not even have one, so.... Sort of does not work what he said.

Banjo64 Banjo64
I wonder if people laughing at OP also laughed at Factions for… well, not even having a release date yet :goog_unsure::messenger_tears_of_joy:
Just because one game sucks, does not mean that other have too. I mean, 343 so far, has really prove them selves with diversity(of problems)

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I couldnt care less about Halo coop.

But I did play Halo 3 and Reach coop from start to finish lol. It's pretty insane that they had a year long delay and still couldnt get such a crucial mode in at launch.

That said, I was worried they were not going to be able to release the campaign this year since we havent seen anything from the campaign since the Craig demo. So this couldve been worse.

Interfectum

It's not a 10h singeleplayer game with linear level design. Open world + campaign + pvp + coop + map editor take some time.
Halo has been made and remade like 8 times over. The template is there as was 5+ years and $100+ million. They also had to bribe original devs to come back to help.

There is no doubt the hammer is down on 343 right now with 'release in 2021 or bye bye studio' as MS doesn't want to release yet another round of Halo Infinite merch with no game.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
As long as the single-player and present MP options are slick & polished (and the SP meaty enough), I don't see too much an issue here. SP & the main MP modes are the most pertinent for launch, the others can come in a timely fashion via roadmap.

Quality over quantity, basically.
That was my honest take on it. But man, people are pissed in here lol.

That review thread is going to have a body count. People have the knives ready.

Roberts

If a game has co-op, I’m sure as hell will play it sooner or later with friends, but my first playthrough is always solo, so personally it‘s not a big deal for me, but I feel bad for those of you who cant live without co-op. Also, It will most likely impact review scores which is not great.

That said, I understand the difficulty of trying to make a huge game during motherfuckin covid times. Cant really blame them.

That was my honest take on it. But man, people are pissed in here lol.

That review thread is going to have a body count. People have the knives ready.
Seems typical at this point for major AAA releases, but especially so for Halo Infinite given the circus last year with Craig and whatnot.

Like, the game needed a delay for quality polish. That obviously meant everything, but especially the story campaign and base MP modes. I never honestly thought they'd have all the big content ready Day 1 at a level of polish the base MP and (I'd assume) the single-player campaign are at given what's been shown lately.

And that's okay. Should still be a lot of content with even that at least for the first few months. But most importantly the quality and polish need to be top-notch there, that first impression at release will mean everything. If the campaign in particular is very strong with the story, plot, characters, set-pieces and gameplay loop, scenarios etc. that'll take the game a long way during its lifespan.

whoa, man chill. thats taking it a bit far i think, dont underestimate the power of game pass, even the shittiest of games get +10 user points higher score, its incredible value so itll be fine no worries.

Maybe you should go see the actual scores for most GamePass titles. In terms of content curation it's at least as good as PS Now (likely better), and quality control is much tighter than the Nintendo eShop (not a gaming subscription service but just to illustrate a point).

Parroting popular misguided talking points mockingly won't add much to discussion.

Last edited:

coffinbirth

The most unproductive huge AAA studio out there right now. Their only challenger to this title is Rocksteady.
They have a LOT on their plate, to be fair. I think they weren't being managed properly, either internally or by their overlords, but it all sounds like a lot of swirling madness.
First of all, they developed an entirely new engine, Infinite Campaign is a semi-open world that is bigger than Halo 4 & 5 combined, multiplayer, co-op, Forge, Battle Royale all while trying to make that run on an 8 year-old potato, pc and XSX...

Secondly, Master Chief Collection was a pretty massive undertaking, and whether it was pressure from Microsoft or an internal decision, they had to have dedicated a sizeable amount of resources to it, which was dumb. Sure, that Halo rollout on pc made headlines, and sure the SX/S upgrade was nice to get, but at what cost?

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed in the reveal and subsequent delay last year, but honestly I think Microsoft is more to blame here than 343i just by virtue of not even being aware/being ok with the state of Halo mere months before the launch of a new console. Be that by being too hands-off during the development process as they claim to be, or by wanting to avoid any and all accusations of crunch for fear of negative press despite giving them a LOT to do. I dunno.

Last edited:
Top Bottom