• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

I'm loving the discussion about the Flood / Gravemind. Personally, knowing there's an intelligence (and a massive, ancient one at that) made the Flood far more interesting to me, but I'm not sure if I can articulate why right now.

Edit : There's a little chime that I hear every so often while watching H2A gameplay, and I can't figure out what it's for. It plays in this video at the 41 seconds mark.

Gives the flood actual reasoning for the actions it does, instead of making it a mindless horde of flesh eating parasites? Without it it lacks a certain je ne sais quoi.

Like said earlier, having a guiding intelligence changes them from a mindless horde into a truly alien threat. A little Lovecrafitan, actually.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Like said earlier, having a guiding intelligence changes them from a mindless horde into a truly alien threat. A little Lovecrafitan, actually.
One thing I really love about the Flood from Halo 2 onwards is how the idea of a massive unified intelligence sweeping across the galaxy and consuming all intelligence and technology it comes across is actually kind of alluring. There's a "that's terrible, but maybe ultimately better" thought that crosses my mind sometimes. And lord knows the Gravemind can justify their actions into the ground.

One thing I really love about the Flood from Halo 2 onwards is how the idea of a massive unified intelligence sweeping across the galaxy and consuming all intelligence and technology it comes across is actually kind of alluring. There's a "that's terrible, but maybe ultimately better" thought that crosses my mind sometimes. And lord knows the Gravemind can justify their actions into the ground.

That too. The Gravemind is one hell of a spokesman.

Sephzilla

Ah, but the Gravemind cannot be reasoned with. It is intelligence without morality, qualms, or indecisiveness. It simply is, in a way that is difficult to wrap one's head around. This is a being that will absorb, subvert, and kill everything in its path, wreaking unthinkable destruction in the name of a cause we can't even begin to understand.

Having the Flood be an unthinking parasite makes them more relatable, in a way; they're the plague, but with (comparatively) gigantic bacteria. The Gravemind makes them something entirely alien, and, in my opinion, much scarier.

Granted, this is all undermined by the fact that he looks (looked) like Audrey, but nonetheless, I loved the concept. Plus, no Gravemind means no Logic Plague, and that'd be a damn shame. Such a cool idea.

I think part of the reason I don't like the Gravemind is because it reminds me an awful lot of this.

Borg_Queen_2372.jpg

The Borg from Star Trek share a lot of similarities to The Flood. And The Borg started to lose their scary/cool factor after they introduced a central intelligence that controlled the entire collective. But I guess I should have seen The Gravemind coming. Given how Star Trek First Contact and Halo both borrow heavily from Aliens, I should have figured they'd both borrow the "Alien Queen" idea.

AlStrong

I think part of the reason I don't like the Gravemind is because it reminds me an awful lot of this.

Borg_Queen_2372.jpg

The Borg from Star Trek share a lot of similarities to The Flood. And The Borg started to lose their scary/cool factor after they introduced a central intelligence that controlled the entire collective. But I guess I should have seen The Gravemind coming. Given how Star Trek First Contact and Halo both borrow heavily from Aliens, I should have figured they'd both borrow the "Alien Queen" idea.

To be fair, the Borg originally did have an all-encompassing voice in Best of Both Worlds that would seem more akin to Gravemind than the Queen (in some ways).

edit: Well, not as vocal and singular as the queen. Nevermind. :p

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I almost mentioned the similarities between the Borg and Flood in my post above. I'm cool with them not being a totally original idea. They're still interesting.

Borg_Queen_2372.jpg

Yeah, I can see why that'd bug you. In my mind, the Borg Queen wasn't the problem, not really. The problem is that Voyager decided to hit the entire collective with the nerf stick so they could be a more regular threat. They actually became a lot less effective as the show went on, and thus, less scary.

Besides, the Borg already had a guiding intelligence beforehand, it just didn't exist in a single entity. Before the Gravemind, the Flood didn't have that.

Fuchsdh

Yeah, I can see why that'd bug you. In my mind, the Borg Queen wasn't the problem, not really. The problem is that Voyager decided to hit the entire collective with the nerf stick so they could be a more regular threat. Besides, the Borg already had a guiding intelligence beforehand, it just didn't exist in a single entity. Before the Gravemind, the Flood didn't have that.

Indeed, my thoughts mirror yours, but I also think that the Borg Queen represents a much bigger issue to the "idea" of the Borg than the Gravemind does to the Flood. The Borg were originally presented as a distributed hivemind, the Borg Queen centralized that--gave the Borg a face you could kill (and for the sake of the plot, if you killed the Queen it seemed to stop everything for a spell). For the Flood, they're less related to insects than an infection--and if you kill the Gravemind, you deal a lot of damage, but that isn't going to slow down the Flood for long as long as there are still vectors to infect. The idea that the Gravemind is just a natural stage of growth as the infection spreads is also a difference.

What happens to the flood if they nuke Gravemind?

They go back to being the Flood in Halo CE--presumably they lose the ability to develop Pure Forms and more elaborate Flood structures, but they can still run around and infect stuff.

The Gravemind never really "dies" in that apparently once a new one/new ones form they have access to the memories of the "original".*

*Before Silentium, my big idea was that the Flood consciousness was in the Domain. That got dashed because in that book they say that the Domain was at least largely destroyed, but I think the implication you can take from the Forerunner Trilogy and Halsey's Journal is that the Gravemind might actually exist in slipspace.

Sephzilla

To be fair, the Borg originally did have an all-encompassing voice in Best of Both Worlds that would seem more akin to Gravemind than the Queen (in some ways).

Yeah, I almost mentioned the similarities between the Borg and Flood in my post above. I'm cool with them not being a totally original idea. They're still interesting.

Yeah, I can see why that'd bug you. In my mind, the Borg Queen wasn't the problem, not really. The problem is that Voyager decided to hit the entire collective with the nerf stick so they could be a more regular threat. They actually became a lot less effective as the show went on, and thus, less scary.

Besides, the Borg already had a guiding intelligence beforehand, it just didn't exist in a single entity. Before the Gravemind, the Flood didn't have that.

Yeah that's true, First Contact's Queen didn't hurt The Borg as much as Voyager did. Especially after they made the Queen seemingly ignorant of what's going on in her own collective and exploited that like an Achilles heel.

Continuing with the Borg parallel, my own fanfic-ish idea of how to introduce a Gravemind like character could have been more like a Locutus of Borg scenario where The Flood create a "Gravemind" type leader through taking over a certain humanoid and turning it into a unqiue Flood.

Actually, fuck, that's Kerrigan from Starcraft.

This. The Borg Queen deflated a lot of their scary cred cause she was a) pretty counter to Borg we had seen before and b) a shoehorned romance/creepy infatuation with Picard.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I actually have something positive to say about H2A medals! It's good to see the hail mary medal is coming back. That's one of the few new ones from Halo 4 that I really liked.

Booshka

I actually have something positive to say about H2A medals! It's good to see the hail mary medal is coming back. That's one of the few new ones from Halo 4 that I really liked.

If any Halo game needs a Hail Mary medal it's Halo CE. You could chuck nades like a champ in CE.

Booshka

Cross-map 'nade spam on Hang 'em High all day, 'ere day!

Also, CE was the only Halo (I believe) that had an "Infinite Grenades" custom option.

So long as there were 4 or less players in the game. Plenty of warthog launching shenanigans were had because of the infinite grenade option in MP.

HTupolev

Maybe now it'll ascend to something greater than the "die after throwing a grenade" medal.

Grenades after CE were sawft, especially throwing them. Spartans in CE were throwing BULLETS, not based on momentum, and their fuse times were longer, allowing for POWER. Strafe was better too, so reacting to grenades being that strong wasn't a problem. The problem was allowing 4 of each lol

This is how I felt throwing grenades in Halo 2&3:
shotput-o.gif

Tawpgun

Weren't flood explained in Greg bear novels as originated from something to do with forerunner pets or precursors or something

Borg_Queen_2372.jpg

Honestly the gravemind isn't as cool until you see some of the backstory and lore surrounding him, including mendicate bias and all of that.

Weren't flood explained in Greg bear novels as originated from something to do with forerunner pets or precursors or something

OriginsEdit

As the Forerunner-Precursor war drew to a close, the few remaining Precursors that were pushed out beyond the edges of the galaxy to Path Kethona sought vengeance against the Forerunners. A few Precursors were spared by the Forerunners, while others became a dust which could regenerate into their past forms. Over time this dust became so corrupted that it could only cause horrific diseases. The Precursors saw a chance for revenge and so they created the Flood to destroy the Forerunners as a final act of vengeance against them.[5] They sent several ships containing this powder to Forerunner controlled planets.

source: http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Flood

BigShow36

Grenades after CE were sawft, especially throwing them. Spartans in CE were throwing BULLETS, not based on momentum, and their fuse times were longer, allowing for POWER. Strafe was better too, so reacting to grenades being that strong wasn't a problem. The problem was allowing 4 of each lol

I don't see having 4 as a problem; they allowed players to use them as a versatile tool rather than sparingly. The reason it worked though is because you could avoid poorly thrown grenades much easier than you can in later games due to how the detonation timer worked.

HTupolev

That's not what it's for, though. It's for getting a long distance grenade kill.
I'm fully aware of the intent. But all it did was check the distance between the exploded guy and the character that threw the grenade. Which meant that it was frequently awarded after people threw a grenade, died, and instant-respawned across the map.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'm fully aware of the intent. But all it did was check the distance between the exploded guy and the character that threw the grenade. Which meant that it was frequently awarded after people threw a grenade, died, and instant-respawned across the map.
Ohh, gotcha. Yeah, I'm pretty sure that happened to me once or twice. I remember getting some multikill medals after killing one person, dying, and then getting a few more kills on the respawn.

Impala26

This is how I felt throwing grenades in Halo 2&3:
shotput-o.gif

This was definitely the feeling going from CE-->2. It felt like instead the Spartans went from throwing fist-sized rocks to small, lead bowling balls.

Impala26

Hail Mary was such a good medal to get.

Indeed, got some great ones killing campers hiding around the downed Pelican on Ragnarok.

Honestly, can't wait to see this particular medal in old games because I always LOVED long-range grenade tosses.

EDIT: Really wish I could .gif some of my saved films because I had some fantastic long-distance sticks from Halo 3/Reach era. Does anyone know a way to do something like this?

MouldyK

Watching the trailer for the Halo 2 Documentary releasing soon, I still find it hard to believe that Halo was once bigger than Grand Theft Auto in the Mainstream Media.

HTupolev

EDIT: Really wish I could .gif some of my saved films because I had some fantastic long-distance sticks from Halo 3/Reach era. Does anyone know a way to do something like this?
Two options:
1-Use a capture card (you can of course send the replay file to someone else who has a capture card).
2-Doable by yourself with a USB stick (for Halo 3) or without needing one (for Reach and 4): frame-by-frame screenshot the clip in replay mode and extract the images. The upshot is that you get downsampled-from-4K 1080p (albeit jpeg'd) (and no motion blur) footage of the games, the downside is that it's a pain in the ass.

AlStrong

2-Doable by yourself with a USB stick: frame-by-frame screenshot the clip in replay mode and extract the images. The upshot is that you get downsampled-from-4K 1080p (albeit jpeg'd) (and no motion blur) footage of the games, the downside is that it's a pain in the ass.

Kinda too bad they never implemented a checklist selection in the OS. :( (*cough* DOA5 screenshots)

Top Bottom