• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

-Ryn

Banned
These aspects I'm less enthused about.
I don't think wallrunning was ever rumored, was it? Ledge grab, yes, double jump, yes, but I think the wallrunning thing is just something people sourced from Titanfall.

Either way, I'm curious as well. The snippets of gameplay actually look quite good, setting aside sprint and the specter of ADS.
I could've sworn I heard something about wallrunning being a thing. I wouldn't mind seeing it in some form though. That's mostly just because I'm a major fan of creative ways to move around and Titanfall really showed how it can be done.

most likely taken down. 343 is pretty good about stuff like that.
Yeah, MS has been taking them down. Looking forward to seeing the non-barn'd footage tomorrow :)
They're down.
Thanks I wasn't sure if there was something wrong with my computer. Makes sense that they've gone down. Though I'm surprised it took as long as it did.

Madness

Eh, I downloaded the videos as soon as they came. I think they're already out there now. Can't ever stop leaks these days. Everything gets re-uploaded so quickly.

I wonder who the leaker was. Completely derailed the tournament and Halofest today. Even though people think it's back to normal, there's a lot of people disappointed or apprehensive for tomorrow instead of excited.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for the info on thrusters!

Honestly, I think Halo 5 looks awesome so far. ADS is totally pointless and stupid, but they way they're implementing it sounds only minorly problematic. It sucks that the screen will be more cluttered / claustrophobic feeling when ADSing, but it's really not a huge deal. It's stupid and disappointing, but it's not the end of the world.

I'm scouring Zanzibar (Stone Town) for that Blast Soda Can, and I found this instead.
lCRtq6i.jpg

Hey 343, you left some grass in the sky.
#GrassGate
PreOrder Cancelled

Omni

A bit over 7 hours 'til I can play Halo 2. Super excited.

I shouldn't have to wait for anything to install if I've got it preloaded, right?

I saw Interstellar yesterday, don't worry no spoilers.Anyway, I love the visuals of space in the movie, they really capture the scale and emptiness of Space. Wish Halo would look like that rather than the colorful nebulae and galaxies plastered everywhere in the background. Imagine a Halo with nothing behind it but darkness and a ship being completely dwarfed in its view. I think that's much more appealing.

This is simple and imposing:
This is overly busy and doesn't capture scale.:

Random17

I saw Interstellar yesterday, don't worry no spoilers.Anyway, I love the visuals of space in the movie, they really capture the scale and emptiness of Space. Wish Halo would look like that rather than the colorful nebulae and galaxies plastered everywhere in the background. Imagine a Halo with nothing behind it but darkness and a ship being completely dwarfed in its view. I think that's much more appealing.

This is simple and imposing.

This is overly busy and doesn't capture scale.

This is simple and imposing.

This is overly busy and doesn't capture scale.
You pick the most exaggerated picture of the ring.

cw4qmJh.jpg

That's certainly a better direction, still not quite there though. It's funny I'm asking for less color for space after complaining about the lack of color in MP maps, but this is two different situations. :p

You pick the most exaggerated picture of the ring.

cw4qmJh.jpg

Yeah, they've had both approaches. I guess I'm just spit-balling that I hope they keep it simple in Halo 5 as it looks so good. They got it right in the Composer mission in 4.

danwarb

This is simple and imposing:

This is overly busy and doesn't capture scale.:

CE did that much better than Anniversary.

Random17

Sprint should be changed in two ways which should satisfy both audiences as far as I know:

Sprint:
1. Sprint is just a temporary increase in movement speed. You can still aim/throw grenades while sprinting. It'll keep that super soldier feel they are trying to get across. Melee is the exception as we don't want too many beatdown wars. It'll be interesting to see how they tackle the tackling system in the trailer.
2. If you are shot while sprinting the animation is cancelled. As such the game speed is increased as sprint allows the player to reach the action faster, but not run away as easily.
3. Don't design the maps around sprint. Not much more to say here!

"ADS"
Every Halo game has had a utility weapon, however that weapon has generally been a mid/short ranged weapon. Long range battles are a speciality reserved for the sniper rifle. With cross map DMR/BR sniping generally being considered to be a bad thing, Bungie tried to limit the extent of this "issue" with various terrible mechanics such as BR spread and bloom.

My solution is to have a system based on range; i.e. bullet damage drops over range <x metres, for instance.

To compensate; ADS magically makes sure this does not happen. No canonical reason; it just works and only past certain ranges. By ADS I mean "Zoom". It doesn't increase damage at shorter ranges so game balance isn't broken.

As such, you trade Zoom awkwardness for better damage at range. Sounds fair to me.

I've been out all day. The leak is out in hd? Any links? Summaries?

Jem did a pretty good summary of the whole boondoggle, but I'll give it a shot:

-Sprint is in.
-Cosmetic ADS is in. Zooming has no more effect on gameplay than it did in older titles, but the scope and bits of the gun stick around. This was not immediately apparent, and people freaked the fuck out. Not unreasonably so.
-First person thrusters confirmed.
-Gameplay actually looks decent (though the footage was just this side of barn-tier). Fast paced, interesting look.

I've been out all day. The leak is out in hd? Any links? Summaries?

A couple very quick off-potato clips of H5 multiplayer, not showing anything too interesting. The zoom in animation on the battle rifle has changed to something more akin to aim-down-sights visually, but still works the same as it did before. Gaf shit its pants for a few hours declaring 'Call of Halo' dead forever before some devs clarified and most of Gaf calmed down. Sprint is back too but with changes, more details tomorrow in the actual reveal.

There's hardly any point because they were really shitty and will be fully revealed tomorrow anyway.

If they were going to fix I think they would have by now.

They also have these to fix.

Those all bother me much less than the teleporters. Teleporters are all over MP, I can't ignore :(

FatMarshall

Neo Member
My solution is to have a system based on range; i.e. bullet damage drops over range <x metres, for instance.

To compensate; ADS magically makes sure this does not happen. No canonical reason; it just works and only past certain ranges. By ADS I mean "Zoom". It doesn't increase damage at shorter ranges so game balance isn't broken.

As such, you trade Zoom awkwardness for better damage at range. Sounds fair to me.
Too many random factors would be involved if distance was a damage modifier.

Random17

Too many random factors would be involved if distance was a damage modifier.

Or a simple system where damage progressively decreases over range; this does not give any player an advantage or disadvantage. I wouldn't say it is as random as you claim. The system is still very predictable in the Battlefield games.

It would have to be for relatively larger ranges on the larger maps. Not shoot from sniper tower to BR tower in Lockout with 5% less damage.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I've only played Halo a handful of times since I sold my 360 a year ago. It's gonna be so good to jump back in.

ArcticSquirrel

Neo Member
Or a simple system where damage progressively decreases over range; this does not give any player an advantage or disadvantage. I wouldn't say it is as random as you claim. The system is still very predictable in the Battlefield games.

It would have to be for relatively larger ranges on the larger maps. Not shoot from sniper tower to BR tower in Lockout with 5% less damage.

There's a difference between Halo and Battlefield though...

Each gun in halo has a predetermined set of damage that sustains throughout the game. A Battle Rifle that never misses a hit is a 4 shot kill at any range. It's simple, it's predictable, it's a science. In Battlefield, if you are shooting at someone who's 107 yards away with a G36, equipped with a 3.7x scope, an LS04 suppressor, an under-barrel dildo launcher, and you are set to semi-automatic, you aren't sure if you are going to kill that enemy with 5 or 9.

The reason why BR spread and Bloom are bad is because they cause randomness. Your bullets dropping some sort of percentage at some sort of distance creates randomness.

Random17

There's a difference between Halo and Battlefield though...

Each gun in halo has a predetermined set of damage that sustains throughout the game. A Battle Rifle that never misses a hit is a 4 shot kill at any range. It's simple, it's predictable, it's a science. In Battlefield, if you are shooting at someone who's 107 yards away with a G36, equipped with a 3.7x scope, an LS04 suppressor, an under-barrel dildo launcher, and you are set to semi-automatic, you aren't sure if you are going to kill that enemy with 5 or 9.

The reason why BR spread and Bloom are bad is because they cause randomness. Your bullets dropping some sort of percentage at some sort of distance creates randomness.
But the point is that the damage drop off will be predictable.

Obscured

Oh good, we are back to having this thread be impossible to keep up with.

I keep hoping my pre-install will magically unlock.

Think I'll be firing up the 360 versions tomorrow, just to get some comparison when I jump to MCC.

ArcticSquirrel

Neo Member
But the point is that the damage drop off will be predictable.

It's not predictable. Let's say the drop off point is 50 yards. Can you accurately point out how far away 50 yards is in game? How much of a percentage drop for bullet damage are we talking about? Does it apply to all weapons? Does each weapon have different drop distances, I mean... A battle rifle is meant for longer range combat, surely it would be silly to have to have it's drop off be the same as a pistols. Does the same percentage apply to every weapon? So Assault Rifle and Battle Rifle both receive a 10% drop in damage?

You can argue that it's predictable if you so desire. But if it only applies to certain weapons and it has damage that scales down based on how far away you are, then it isn't simple. It's overly complicated for no reason.

Random17

It's not predictable. Let's say the drop off point is 50 yards. Can you accurately point out how far away 50 yards is in game? How much of a percentage drop for bullet damage are we talking about? Does it apply to all weapons? Does each weapon have different drop distances, I mean... A battle rifle is meant for longer range combat, surely it would be silly to have to have it's drop off be the same as a pistols. Does the same percentage apply to every weapon? So Assault Rifle and Battle Rifle both receive a 10% drop in damage?

You can argue that it's predictable if you so desire. But if it only applies to certain weapons and it has damage that scales down based on how far away you are, then it isn't simple. It's overly complicated for no reason.

The alternative is, however, shitty features like bloom/spread finding their way back into Halo. Or the other alternative is cross map DMRing.

*shrugs*. It shouldn't affect competitive play significantly while vastly improving the experience on larger maps. It's not perfect but by all means it could work for some human weapons in the game.

Again, it shouldn't affect short range encounters. That's where most competitive play occurs, right?

And obviously it doesn't apply for power weapons, only stuff like the BR, DMR and AR.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
You just made me realize, back when Halo came out the hot phones were those Nokia bricks.

Now I'm laying in bed here with a mini-computer six inches from my face.

Random17

Cross posting but I'm still puzzled why ADS is in Halo 5 in the first place.

What really puzzles me is why people think ADS is an evolution/revolution. Mind you in its current form I can live with it; but here's the problem.

ADS is not what makes COD or Battlefield fun. ADS became popularized in WW2 shooters because it was a "realistic" mechanic. It mimics real life weapons.

Call of Duty is fun because of the small maps, killstreaks, relative ease of gameplay and the very low ttk. You can play it in 3rd person with basically glorified hipfire and it is still enjoyable. The gameplay linked is MW2 third person; you don't ADS here. While pressing the ADS button reduces the reticle size and zooms in. It is still subject to the accuracy penalty that hipfire receives, albeit to a lesser extent.

Battlefield is fun because of long range encounters, large maps, vehicles, and combined arms combat. You can remove ADS and change the way the hip-fire works and the game would still be fun because ADS is not its defining trait.

Top Bottom