• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramirez

AR too stronk

How does pressing a button to automatically perform a climbing animation compare in any way to the skill and timing a perfectly executed crouch jump requires?

Clamber to me opens up alternate routes that weren't there before, regardless of crouching. It could open up some interesting flanking tactics, maybe not. One of those things we'll have to use and see what effect it has on the game.

-Ryn

Banned
How does pressing a button to automatically perform a climbing animation compare in any way to the skill and timing a perfectly executed crouch jump requires?
lmao Crouch jumping is not at all hard. There is little skill to it. The only thing you need to know is where you can use it which is mostly about knowing your jump heights.

"Clamber" or whatever still requires timing and can also bring more verticality to maps as well as increase the all around map movement in general. Though I do hope crouch jumping isn't dead.

Magni

Wait... you were in matchmaking. Now you're in... what?

I think the shoe is a speed up in a Mario game. Not sure which game.
Sonic has speed up.

A powerup is different from changing the core movement mechanics though. If there was a temp speed increase (you could do this in Halo 3 with the custom powerup), that picture would make more sense.

GrizzNKev

Banned
lmao Crouch jumping is not at all hard. There is little skill to it. The only thing you need to know is where you can use it which is mostly about knowing your jump heights.

"Clamber" or whatever still requires timing and can also bring more verticality to maps as well as increase the all around map movement in general. Though I do hope crouch jumping isn't dead.

It doesn't actually, there's a "hold to clamber" version you can set in the controls.

-Ryn

Banned
It doesn't actually, there's a "hold to clamber" version you can set in the controls.
Well that's kinda lame. It works by pressing the jump button when you reach the ledge right? Do you think that the option to hold it might be there to account for the game being unresponsive due to lag or something? Genuinely asking.

A powerup is different from changing the core movement mechanics though. If there was a temp speed increase (you could do this in Halo 3 with the custom powerup), that picture would make more sense.
True. I think the comparison was just pointing out that games do use ideas other games had while still maintaining their identity. I'd imagine that's what Digital was going for anyway.

Magni

^ I've seen a bunch of that. Yesterday after beating AotCR, while loading 343GS it showed my The Library. Was almost scared 343i had forgotten to include 343GS haha

True. I think the comparison was just pointing out that games do use ideas other games had while still maintaining their identity. I'd imagine that's what Digital was going for anyway.

I guess there are nicer ways of doing so than what 343 has done so far with Halo 4 (ugh, just ugh), and what I've seen of Halo 5 so far. Take Pokémon for example, almost 20 years later it still feels very much like Pokémon, and yet X/Y are wayyy more than just reskins of Red/Blue.

Load up twitch and show me that you can even make the ring 3 jumps on Sanctuary. What name should I look for on twitch?

I think your definition of an "Arena" shooter is just very weird. It just means that a game is competetive in its own sandbox. In Halo 5, every player has exactly the same properties. There are no unlocks. There are no weapon drops. There are no kill streaks. There are no attatchments. There are no indiviual chosen abilities. The moment you respawn you have exactly the same resources your enemy has (obviously excluding weapon/map control, which is - again - part of the whole Halo environment). This is Arena. What else they add to their own Arena sandbox environment is up to them - as long as everything comes for everyone and always with a downside. If they lower the TTK, this counts for everyone. They only need to adopt every game element to that to balance things out.
Last time I checked. Arena Halo didn't have nor need default features for Insta-kill abilities to balance the experience out. Ridiculous excuse.

-Ryn

Banned
^ I've seen a bunch of that. Yesterday after beating AotCR, while loading 343GS it showed my The Library. Was almost scared 343i had forgotten to include 343GS haha

I guess there are nicer ways of doing so than what 343 has done so far with Halo 4 (ugh, just ugh), and what I've seen of Halo 5 so far. Take Pokémon for example, almost 20 years later it still feels very much like Pokémon, and yet X/Y are wayyy more than just reskins of Red/Blue.
Halo 4 was a mistake in my opinion mainly because it added a bunch of pretty stickers that were annoying and added nothing to the core experience. Halo 5 seems to be averting this which is why I am much more interested.

Ramirez

Last time I checked. Arena Halo didn't have nor need default features for Insta-kill abilities to balance the experience out. Ridiculous excuse.

TBH, Halo has never been a real Arena game. Arena games have tons of 1HK's in them, it's just a buzzword 343 is using, I wouldn't dwell on it...

Ramirez

Main thing that bothered me about that video was the AR's strength, and the fact he was popping shields so easily with the ground pound without killing people. I'd prefer it kill you outright, or do nothing at all.

^

When I think arena, I think Quake/UT, and Halo is vastly different from those. Moving towards 1HK abilities, and quicker TTK definitely makes it more of a traditional arena game.

Yeah but he's still right. Halo 5 is an arena game.

TBH, Halo has never been a real Arena game. Arena games have tons of 1HK's in them, it's just a buzzword 343 is using, I wouldn't dwell on it...
They just need to nerf them further, imo. Making it not near pointless to use but very effective tool if timed and used just right. From a guesstimate probability of lets say 40-30% chance of insta-kill to 20% or less. Otherwise you'd just knock out their Shields instead.

Main thing that bothered me about that video was the AR's strength, and the fact he was popping shields so easily with the ground pound without killing people. I'd prefer it kill you outright, or do nothing at all.

Hovering mid air directly into a homing diagonal ground pound. Lol.

Ramirez

They just need to nerf them further, imo. Making it not near pointless to use but very effective tool if timed and used just right. From a guesstimate probability of lets say 40-30% chance of insta-kill to 20% or less. Otherwise you'd just knock out their Shields instead.

Well the guy in that video never killed anyone with the slam or charge, I'm more inclined to say if you don't hit them directly, it does nothing to them. Maybe knocks you back, but keep your shields?

^

It's possible that once people get better at the game, hovering in the air like that will just end in you getting destroyed. It's hard to judge the game mechanics on a few videos. Greenskull didn't use any of the new abilities in his vids and was doing fine, so I dunno.

I realize most of you hate this stuff, but I genuinely enjoyed Destiny's 3v3 PVP, and all of the abilities it introduced. It needs some balancing in that game, but just because a game adds abilities in like this, doesn't mean the better player won't still win 90% of the time, or that it can't be fun.

-Ryn

Banned
So upload a video of you making the ring 3 sanctuary jumps consistently when no one is even shooting at you since crouch jumps take no skill.
Will do. However for the record I never said they don't take any skill. I just said it doesn't take much. I have a buddy that I was playing CEA with yesterday who had no idea how to grenade jump but he had it down in about 5 minutes. Got the bandanna skull (which surprised me given that it was such a bitch for me and my bro).

GrizzNKev

Banned
Oh, well that's a bummer. Should always require the second press, IMO. Maybe we can get that taken out in the beta.

Well that's kinda lame. It works by pressing the jump button when you reach the ledge right? Do you think that the option to hold it might be there to account for the game being unresponsive due to lag or something? Genuinely asking.

This is where I got that info from:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bmPgWpJCDk#t=209

klodeckel

Banned

You should check again bro. Halo had an Insta-Kill abilitiy since its first game, which is not only even more easy to use, but also comes at zero risk (unlike a Ground Pound) ... Hint: press B from behind.

In all the Halo 5 videos we have seen yet, I think I have not seen one Ground Pound resulting in an insta-kill. Not saying it's not possible - but it seems like not that easy to perform.

Also, the word "instant" in combination with the ground pound is already wrong by the mechanic alone. You need time to charge for your ground pound. That's far from "instant".

Will do. However for the record I never said they don't take any skill. I just said it doesn't take much. I have a buddy that I was playing CEA with yesterday who had no idea how to grenade jump but he had it down in about 5 minutes. Got the bandanna skull (which surprised me given that it was such a bitch for me and my bro).

Can we agree that crouch jumping takes infinitely more skill than an animation that automatically climbs for you?

Impala26

Actually there's always been one insta-kill available to EVERYONE in EVERY form of Halo...

Assassinations

Sure, they're not easy to pull off, but anyone CAN do it. And I think the ground pound ability is much the same way. Interestingly enough, just like assassinations, it'll probably be easier to pull of with motion tracker disabled, but with it on will be a challenge.

EDIT: Beaten by Klodeckel.

-Ryn

Banned
Can we agree that crouch jumping takes infinitely more skill than an animation that automatically climbs for you?
Now I would agree it takes more skill yes.

Until I was corrected by Grizz, I was under the impression that you had to time the button press correctly to actually climb up. This "hold to climb" option changes things. While it's better than an auto climb (which I would personally hate), I would prefer it to require actual timing.

GrizzNKev

Banned
You should check again bro. Halo had an Insta-Kill abilitiy since its first game, which is not only even more easy to use, but also comes at zero risk (unlike a Ground Pound) ... Hint: press B from behind.

In all the Halo 5 videos we have seen yet, I think I have not seen one Ground Pound resulting in an insta-kill. Not saying it's not possible - but it seems like not that easy to perform.

There have been a bunch of ground pound instakills in videos.

Now I would agree it takes more skill yes.

Until I was corrected by Grizz, I was under the impression that you had to time the button press correctly to actually climb up. This "hold to climb" option changes things. While it's better than an auto climb (which I would personally hate), I would prefer it to require actual timing.

If only there was a mechanic in Halo that let you clear higher obstacles with a perfectly timed button press...

-Ryn

Banned
Hmm... yeah I'm not really happy with that.

While I still think that it will help to increase vertical play in maps, I do wish it had more to it than just holding the button.

If only there was a mechanic in Halo that let you clear higher obstacles with a perfectly timed button press...
Now I'm not saying that I think it has no place in the game. I'm fine with its presence as even with crouch jumping you wouldn't have been able to climb a ledge if even your knees were the only thing in the way which always felt dumb to me. I think that if the maps are designed properly they could add jumps that require you to time it right so you actually do land that clamber... that word is so weird.

I hope that crouch jumping returns though.

Actually there's always been one insta-kill available to EVERYONE in EVERY form of Halo...

Assassinations

Sure, they're not easy to pull off, but anyone CAN do it. And I think the ground pound ability is much the same way. Interestingly enough, just like assassinations, it'll probably be easier to pull of with motion tracker disabled, but with it on will be a challenge.

EDIT: Beaten by Klodeckel.
Zero risk? It's only instant if you melee a player in the back. Not the sides. The front. Ground pound says otherwise.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Hmm... yeah I'm not really happy with that.

While I still think that it will help to increase vertical play in maps, I do wish it had more to it than just holding the button.

Now I'm not saying that I think it has no place in the game. I'm fine with its presence as even with crouch jumping you wouldn't have been able to climb a ledge if even your knees were the only thing in the way which always felt dumb to me. I think that if the maps are designed properly they could add jumps that require you to time it right so you actually do land that clamber... that word is so weird.

I hope that crouch jumping returns though.

Well, since ground pound is done by holding down the crouch button in the air... don't get your hopes up. Though it does look like ground pound won't activate unless you're far enough away from a surface, so it might still work.

Imagine how Lockout would play with clamber.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom