• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Ryn

Banned
Well, since ground pound is done by holding down the crouch button in the air... don't get your hopes up. Though it does look like ground pound won't activate unless you're far enough away from a surface, so it might still work.

Imagine how Lockout would play with clamber.
Just imagine going for a regular crouch jump only to accidentally activate ground pound and hurtle to your death... maybe it only works if there's ground below to pound. Actually this begs the question of whether or not you can ground pound from a limitless height. I do kind of want to ground pound of a cliff from say Forge World heights.

Now I wonder if fall damage is returning...

I think that crouching while airborne activates ground pound so I'm pretty sure crouch jumping is out.

RIP crouch jump
Assuming they would change this after the beta, what would you map ground pound to instead? I think it could possibly be mapped to holding the thruster button since that isn't a thing.

Assuming they would change this after the beta, what would you map ground pound to instead? I think it could possibly be mapped to holding the thruster button since that isn't a thing.

I would have players hit two buttons simultaneously to avoid accidentally activating ground pound when they are just trying to crouch jump. Maybe crouch and jump while airborne or crouch and melee while airborne.

This is assuming ground pound HAS to be in the game.

-Ryn

Banned
I would have players hit two buttons simultaneously to avoid accidentally activating ground pound when they are just trying to crouch jump. Maybe crouch and jump while airborne or crouch and melee while airborne.

This is assuming ground pound HAS to be in the game.
I didn't actually think of the button combo. That's a solid idea. Player would still be able to aim their camera well regardless of the scheme. Well recon might have some trouble. Still though button combo is a good idea.

Sofa King

Just read that the CU is delayed. Give them time to get it through certification. That is supposed to instill confidence? Was this bypassed the first time?

I still can't understand how people are defending the ADS. I am reading it, I just don't get it. The scope view is used a ton, especially in bigger maps so you are talking about changing the view and play mechanic for a good portion of the game.

I still can't understand how people are defending the ADS. I am reading it, I just don't get it. The scope view is used a ton, especially in bigger maps so you are talking about changing the view and play mechanic for a good portion of the game.

343 wants dat cod money first, they may patch old zoom back once the population goes dive bomb.

-Ryn

Banned
Most of the gameplay we've seen consisted of close quarters fights that didn't require the use of scope and indeed didn't. Weirdly, the most we've seen scope used with is automatic weapons like the SMG and AR. I do hope that the AR doesn't actually affect accuracy. The SMG pretty blatantly does though.

willow ve

lmao Crouch jumping is not at all hard. There is little skill to it. The only thing you need to know is where you can use it which is mostly about knowing your jump heights.

"Clamber" or whatever still requires timing and can also bring more verticality to maps as well as increase the all around map movement in general. Though I do hope crouch jumping isn't dead.

Have you played the Battlefield games? Because if Clamber works anything like vaulting does in those games it will require absolutely zero timing. Just jump and rapid press / spam the jump button and you'll grab something to jump / clamber / vault over.

Sephzilla

If they delayed it to ensure it would pass cert, I have tremendous confidence. If it's already failed cert, I'm at a loss. But we won't know either way.

I'm saying this as a computer programmer who doesn't deal with game design but has to go through similar processes before getting my completed code into production. Sometimes if something comes back to you before going live it can be for something big or for something very minor. For all we know it could have failed certification for something really minor that MS wanted to bring to their attention.

FyreWulff

You really never know how long cert is going to take on something

Especially when you have tons of november games coming through the queue

Skullface

I'm saying this as a computer programmer who doesn't deal with game design but has to go through similar processes before getting my completed code into production. Sometimes if something comes back to you before going live it can be for something big or for something very minor. For all we know it could have failed certification for something really minor that MS wanted to bring to their attention.

Sounds legit. I worked with a major corporation and frequently had to go through their tech department because of various issues and it seems like they had a similar step by step, albeit in a much shorter time frame.

RowdyReverb

You should check again bro. Halo had an Insta-Kill abilitiy since its first game, which is not only even more easy to use, but also comes at zero risk (unlike a Ground Pound) ... Hint: press B from behind.

In all the Halo 5 videos we have seen yet, I think I have not seen one Ground Pound resulting in an insta-kill. Not saying it's not possible - but it seems like not that easy to perform.

Also, the word "instant" in combination with the ground pound is already wrong by the mechanic alone. You need time to charge for your ground pound. That's far from "instant".

Actually there's always been one insta-kill available to EVERYONE in EVERY form of Halo...

Assassinations

Sure, they're not easy to pull off, but anyone CAN do it. And I think the ground pound ability is much the same way. Interestingly enough, just like assassinations, it'll probably be easier to pull of with motion tracker disabled, but with it on will be a challenge.

EDIT: Beaten by Klodeckel.

I really don't see how somebody could be ok with assassinations, but not ok with ground pound being a 1sk. They are mechanically similar in that you need to have a positional advantage over your opponent, but ground pound has the added risk of leaving yourself vulnerable if you miss.
In theory you could even perform a similar tactic in older Halo games by dropping from above and using melee on an opponent's backside.

Sephzilla

Sounds legit. I worked with a major corporation and frequently had to go through their tech department because of various issues and it seems like they had a similar step by step, albeit in a much shorter time frame.

One other thing I thought about, we also have no idea what percentage of patches pass/fail their first time through certification in general. For all we know, most patches might get sent back the first time they're sent back to MS.

-Ryn

Banned
Have you played the Battlefield games? Because if Clamber works anything like vaulting does in those games it will require absolutely zero timing. Just jump and rapid press / spam the jump button and you'll grab something to jump / clamber / vault over.
As I said earlier, since it does indeed just amount to "hold to press" based off Greenskulls commentary I am disappointed. For some reason I assumed that it would require actual timing. However I do think it can still benefit vertical map movement.

Yes I have played the Battlefield games though.

Welfare

I really don't see how somebody could be ok with assassinations, but not ok with ground pound being a 1sk. They are mechanically similar in that you need to have a positional advantage over your opponent, but ground pound has the added risk of leaving yourself vulnerable if you miss.
In theory you could even perform a similar tactic in older Halo games by dropping from above and using melee on an opponent's backside.

Can't you just jump and activate ground pound?

Because it's merely an aesthetic change.

FyreWulff

Wouldn't this be fast tracked since it's first party and a PR disaster?

Not even fast tracked TUs have reliable finish times.

Everyone's cert also shuts down next month for the holidays (Nintendo, Sony, MS) so you also have the additional workload of content being submitted ahead of that.

Sephzilla

For any one not following the other thread:

this is the big reason i've been trying to not get massively upset about the MCC issues. I'm trying to put faces on all of the employees there and remember that they've probably put in an ungodly amount of overtime in the last week. i dont care if they dug their own hole with this or not, that isn't something id wish upon anyone.

Actually, the fact that they've included a health bar makes me hopeful that they might be prepared to give us actual information about our vehicle's health.
One of the best additions.
Yea, and a lot of people ripped Halo 3 for being Halo 2.5, they're damned either way really.
Yup, and it's partially why I'm excited to try Halo 5. The last thing I want is another slow-walking Halo game with weapons that don't reach past 20ft., so let's see how this goes. At least we have the other Halo games to instantly jump back to, granted 343 fixes TMCC before Halo 5 releases :b
I have a feeling it wasn't "a lot" of people.
Halo 3 would bomb if it released today, exactly as it was back then.
Except it isn't, even on the SMG. On the DMR it blocks out a good portion of the screen. How is that only aesthetic?
Well maybe that will help with pinging people across maps, something many people here have a problem with. Couple that with less aim assist and it might be alright.

It's weird how I despise ADS, but I'm actually looking forward to trying this out lol. I know a lot of people who will probably be excited because of the LT -- RT style, and it's something I'm looking forward to because I tested the Fishstick control scheme in Halo 4, but there was no descoping so pressing LT again was a biatch. If there was descope, I might've rocked out with Fishstick.

Skullface

this is the big reason i've been trying to not get massively upset about the MCC issues. I'm trying to put faces on all of the employees there and remember that they've probably put in an ungodly amount of overtime in the last week. i dont care if they dug their own hole with this or not, that isn't something id wish upon anyone.

I'm with you. The apologies and communication make a great deal of difference.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened

Launch issues especially suck because they are in crunch mode to the very end

But then something goes wrong... crunch extended by weeks... rip november vacation

Except it isn't, even on the SMG. On the DMR it blocks out a good portion of the screen. How is that only aesthetic?

That's aesthetic. It looks different, oh no. It functions identically. Accuracy doesn't change. Zooming has a harsher trade-off, big deal. It's such a tiny nothing part of the conversation. You're still shooting from the hip with practically every weapon like you always have. Get over it, this conversation is tired and sad and lead by the uninformed.

If anything, it's probably one of the smartest additions (hah, "smart" scope) because now Halo gets to get away with ADS while really not even having it. It panders to a crowd that wants that CoD feel, while maintaining the form and function that everyone knows Halo for. And it looks awesome, let's be honest.

Bad kids complain about Smart Scope.

Second, it's not just aesthetic as automatics change their spread when on ADS, so...

This isn't true.

willow ve

That's aesthetic. It looks different, oh no. It functions identically. Accuracy doesn't change. Zooming has a harsher trade-off, big deal. It's such a tiny nothing part of the conversation. You're still shooting from the hip with practically every weapon like you always have. Get over it, this conversation is tired and sad and lead by the uninformed.

If anything, it's probably one of the smartest additions (hah, "smart" scope) because now Halo gets to get away with ADS while really not even having it. It panders to a crowd that wants that CoD feel, while maintaining the form and function that everyone knows Halo for. And it looks awesome, let's be honest.

I disagree with almost every word of this post. Which admittedly happens from time to time in HaloGAF, but usually not to this level.

You are about to get a lot of crap for this post, but let me tell you that I'm behind you, like, 90% of the way.

Sephzilla

Thinking ADS is going to bring in the CoD kids?

giphy.gif

Tawpgun

Make no mistake, anyone denying that Halo and 343 are trying to appeal to people wanting ads in Halo is delusional. Smart scope is a retcon to the lore for the purposes of making the people who want halo to be more like all other shooters.

That being said, aside from a bit of vision obscuring, it just a skin over the existing zoom functionally, and now it's been added to all weapons, even automatics.

I think it's an alright compromise. I wish they'd let you pick between the smart holo sights and traditional zoom though.

But hey if this gets more people to stick with Halo why not.

-Ryn

Banned
So... just out of curiosity, what is the difference between ADS on automatic weapons, and zoom on automatic weapons? The SMG in ODST had zoom which affected its accuracy. This new ADS mechanic seems to offer the same thing only the SMG isn't silenced anymore. If the AR isn't affected by ADS then that just means the SMG now has zoom as a default.

I really don't think the AR is affected by ADS either. In every instance I've seen it used, the firing is not any more accurate than it was before. Hell I wonder why people even bother doing it. I've watched the gameplay and the spread is still the same from what I can see. Maybe people "feel" like it's affecting their accuracy because they happened to get the kill while in ADS that they would have gotten anyway.

Just to be clear, I don't really care much for ADS and hope they add an option for classic zoom. I can live with it though even if that's not available. Hell I'll admit it even looks cool.

This isn't true.

Yes it's true, turns out the uninformed it's you.

Also, it doesn't look different, the word you are looking for is WORSE.

Just like sprint, perks and killstreaks did. That worked wonders Tawp :/

BTW all this is coming from a guy who thinks the pinnacle of Reach's gameplay was Invasion on Spire, hope that put things into perspective about the fear of change and whatnot.

Booshka

Make no mistake, anyone denying that Halo and 343 are trying to appeal to people wanting ads in Halo is delusional. Smart scope is a retcon to the lore for the purposes of making the people who want halo to be more like all other shooters.

That being said, aside from a bit of vision obscuring, it just a skin over the existing zoom functionally, and now it's been added to all weapons, even automatics.

I think it's an alright compromise. I wish they'd let you pick between the smart holo sights and traditional zoom though.

Going by Halo 4's popularity and player retention, I doubt any CoD concessions are going to retain players for Halo 5, CoD or Halo fans alike. I think Halo 5 will probably be a good game overall, and be able to stand on its own merits, but I think it could do that, and be a better game, without a lot of the shit that is currently in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom