• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT| HaloGAF Evolved

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuchsdh

I am entirely down with bots if it meant that we'd get intelligent marine/ally AI as well. Admittedly that might not factor in too much to Halo 4, but I just want competent allies, not just people I give Sniper rifles and Rocket launchers to and hope they manage to kill a lot before they die.

I wouldn't really use the bots myself but they could be comforting to some players.

Bots.... could be 343I's solution to the quitters problem. Not a perfect solution, but it would be a big improvement, if they get the skill level right. Big if.

FyreWulff

I am entirely down with bots if it meant that we'd get intelligent marine/ally AI as well. Admittedly that might not factor in too much to Halo 4, but I just want competent allies, not just people I give Sniper rifles and Rocket launchers to and hope they manage to kill a lot before they die.

I wouldn't really use the bots myself but they could be comforting to some players.

Async bots are by rule dumber than normal bots under lockstep networking. But it's multiplayer, they don't have to be too smart. Look at Perfect Dark, it still has some of the best bots and they had to share 4MB of RAM and a 90mhz processor. You just have to give them enough personality.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Doesn't Gears 3 have bots in some of its versus playlists? I agree, it could be done, but it depends entirely on how its implemented

FyreWulff

Doesn't Gears 3 have bots in some of its versus playlists? I agree, it could be done, but it depends entirely on how its implemented

I believe it does. I know for sure in it's social lists in Gears 2, but I haven't really been able to start in on 3 yet even though I bought it when it came out. I should get on that.

Wonder if we can set bot paths on forge maps.

Speaking of Forge I can not wait to see what 343 has done with it.
(hoping its an actual map maker this time)

All they would have to do is let us set bot hint nodes. Rest of the pathfinding could be computed and baked into the variant when you save the map.

wwm0nkey

oh invasion you so silly, 2 host changes, a quitter then I get booted after doing most of the hard work because I accidently cause a team death after the round was finished.

gg

I hope that we get servers for halo 4, host swapping mid match is better then a sudden game over but so damn annoying, people always drop because you kill them first or they dislike the map from the vote.

I can't see it being much different to Reach for halo 4, if it's still there that is.

A better more colour filled forge world would be a ton better, less grey and blue.

CyReN

From reddit:

0d0iEh.jpg

ckVhQh.jpg

UMrfo.jpg

I think part of the reason it doesn't look good to me is the harsh and ugly drop shadow and edge treatment, the scale of the hexagon texture, and the fact that it does not have a recognizeable silhouette like Halo 2 or Halo 3's condensed logo.

In terms of alternative surface treatments, I think DcLevartho's second option has some good elements, although it still feels too uniformly smooth. I think Halo 3's texture was the best of the trilogy, although I kind of like the overwrought Halo 2 one in some cases. It just doesn't scale as well as 3's.

I really like this, and I completely agree with your analysis of the logo. The 4 is too large, and looks cluttered as it intercepts the Halo ring, as well as loses its visual identity if the ring and 4 were the same color with no depth.

Hm, that could be interesting if handled properly.. Maybe if the team were allowed a "vote to kick bot" option if they feel the bot is dying too much and they stand a better chance without one.

Just noticed one of Bnet's new taglines: "urk is getting sloppy. He blames stosh."

That has been there for years haha.

Does BTB have any NB?

It's all 85% I believe.

Yes, when people quit in Gears, they are replaced by bots.

To expand a bit, when people quit in ranked, they are replaced by bots. When people quit in social they are replaced by a bot, but social has continuous lobbies and drop in drop out, so you can join a game and replace a bot mid game in social. There is no penalty for quitting social (other than a L on your stats), but if you quit ranked you are docked a hefty amount of XP points. It works pretty well IMO.

feel

Seems like developer-only bots with simple AI routines to make testing of certain MP scenarios easier. Not for public consumption. I can't imagine there ever being a good enough Halo bot, and if they get something decent going, it better be a customs only thing (or specific playlist) and not plague MM like in Gears.
Platinum Hits CE ruins it.
Exactly what I was gonna say.

kylej

Banned
jebus Skyrim is overwhelming. the development resources.... it must've taken 493 Bungie years to develop this thing... it's incomprehensible

Seems like developer-only bots with simple AI routines to make testing of certain MP scenarios easier. Not for public consumption. I can't imagine there ever being a good enough Halo bot, and if they get something decent going, it better be a customs only thing (or specific playlist) and not plague MM like in Gears.

So if someone quits, you would rather that team be a player short than have a bot?

jebus Skyrim is overwhelming. the development resources.... it must've taken 493 Bungie years to develop this thing... it's incomprehensible

I always find that interesting. Bungie takes three years to make a 8 hour campaign and MP game. Bethesda made Skyrim in three years, and it is massive beyond comprehension. Now a majority of the character in those games are generic, textures are reused a lot in different parts of the world, and stuff like cinematics is not up the quality par of Bungie's games, but it is still an interesting contrast.

Louis Wu

Okay, so first off, I think it's pretty friggin' obnoxious they watermarked the guy's resume - I mean, it's available on his own website. What kind of bullshit is that?

Second: He built bots to test the game - he didn't build bots to go IN the game. For most companies, Test is NOT the same thing as the Dev team. (I could be wrong about this for 343; I don't actually know.)

It's interesting stuff - but I don't think it's what this website thinks it is. (And I think whoever had the balls to watermark someone else's resume needs to be smacked upside the head.)

Overdoziz

Banned
So if someone quits, you would rather that team be a player short than have a bot?

I always find that interesting. Bungie takes three years to make a 8 hour campaign and MP game. Bethesda made Skyrim in two years, and it is massive beyond comprehension. Now a majority of the character in those games are generic, textures are reused a lot in different parts of the world, and stuff like cinematics is not up the quality par of Bungie's games, but it is still an interesting contrast.
Two years?

Okay, so first off, I think it's pretty friggin' obnoxious they watermarked the guy's resume - I mean, it's available on his own website. What kind of bullshit is that?

Second: He built bots to test the game - he didn't build bots to go IN the game. For most companies, Test is NOT the same thing as the Dev team. (I could be wrong about this for 343; I don't actually know.)

It's interesting stuff - but I don't think it's what this website thinks it is. (And I think whoever had the balls to watermark someone else's resume needs to be smacked upside the head.)
You know the reason for "watermarking someone else's resmue". It makes the story looks more exclusive. To get more clicks.

kylej

Banned
I always find that interesting. Bungie takes three years to make a 8 hour campaign and MP game. Bethesda made Skyrim in two years, and it is massive beyond comprehension. Now a majority of the character in those games are generic, textures are reused a lot in different parts of the world, and stuff like cinematics is not up the quality par of Bungie's games, but it is still an interesting contrast.

*4 hour campaign with reused multiplayer assets, 8 multiplayer maps that run sub-30fps, Forge and Theater identical to game released 3 years prior, Firefight identical to game released a year prior.

Two years?

three years iirc. they started dev after Fallout 3. pretty fun but I can't help but think it'd be better with a jet or something to fly around the world. and a BR.

What's so horrible about Reach Big Team Battle? I mean, I know it's not nearly as good as 3's, but its still fun in its own right most of the time. My only real complaint with it is I dislike a few of the maps, and that there are a few more vehicles than there should be at times

Terrible, terrible vehicle sandbox, terrible, terrible maps. But that's not just it, it's difficult to pinpoint but I find it almost unplayable. When my lobby goes above five players, I groan because btb is expected. I always leave. The other night I managed one game on Ridgline, one on Headlong... couldn't stomach anymore.

Halo 3's btb was my second most played playlist. So good. Only map I truly didn't like was Sandtrap.

Even a map like Longshore, which isn't considered a classic, is better than any btb map in Reach. It had compartmentalised battle spaces, skirmishes over the overshield, the opening rush and subsequent timing for the camo power-up, the power drain rain from the top of the ceiling gate... even the gate controls were something I recall having interesting battles over.

Compare that to getting pinged from end to end of Hemorrhage, sniped by a press-a-button-for-camo shithead or spawn camped by a banshee... BTB is tied for my biggest disappointment with Reach, along with no ranks.

wwm0nkey

I can't see it being much different to Reach for halo 4, if it's still there that is.

A better more colour filled forge world would be a ton better, less grey and blue.

Forge was one of the first things confirmed for Halo 4 at Halo Fest. Also why not have it be a map maker? Its not like terrain editing would really be too much of a task for 343 and it would only bump map sizes up to 1MB (if that even)

Bots.... could be 343I's solution to the quitters problem. Not a perfect solution, but it would be a big improvement, if they get the skill level right. Big if.

I think I would prefer to be a man down than have a bot join the team. It would be a nice option if it was optional. Not enforced. Like if all your team quit you can spawn in bots on your team but by defualt it doesn't happen.

Im pretty sure the BWU's hinted towards a very similar set of Spartan AI being used to test Halo 3 multiplayer, I really think its just a test thing rather than a feature.

Forge was one of the first things confirmed for Halo 4 at Halo Fest. Also why not have it be a map maker? Its not like terrain editing would really be too much of a task for 343 and it would only bump map sizes up to 1MB (if that even)

I'd rather them just create great stock maps than take up time working on a map maker. If Forge is any indication, most people don't know how to make quality maps.

Imagine being five shot by a bot? The embarrassment...

Hiredn00bs said:
There are ranks in Reach. Two different rank systems, as a matter of fact. But whatever, integers are easier than percentages, I guess.

Lol you're so clevar n000bs I luv ur trolling.

To bite: One playlist with execrable settings, no military rank tied to your service record, days to even get feedback... But whatever, keep telling yourself that the wonderful, ranked 'Hardcore' Halo experience in Reach is a failure because people are too stupid to understand percentages EL OH EL

Gears' bots are decent when at the right skill level. There were decent bots all the way back to Unreal and that kind of stuff. I could see them doing ok in Halo.

but not in Ranked, I agree.

TheOddOne

I agree with the watermark thing too.

wwm0nkey

I'd rather them just create great stock maps than take up time working on a map maker. If Forge is any indication, most people don't know how to make quality maps.

Well forge is extremely limiting in its current state and when you get good maps they are good. Not saying dont make great stock maps because that is a must.

In Gears 3, you have bots in social, but in Ranked its a bit different. Say you're in the middle of a round, and a guy quits. He's replaced with a bot. Next round, bot disappears and its just 5 on 4.

Lol you're so clevar n000bs I luv ur trolling.

To bite: One playlist with execrable settings, no military rank tied to your service record, days to even get feedback... But whatever, keep telling yourself that the wonderful, ranked 'Hardcore' Halo experience in Reach is a failure because people are too stupid to understand percentages EL OH EL
Honestly, while people that read Halo forums might know the division percentiles and even be able to figure their overall percentile, Reach doesn't do a good job of explaining them to the average end user.

I believe The Arena would be more popular if you started at 1 and played to 50 every season. It's a convention to which Halo players are accustomed, and it's easy for anyone to understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom