• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT| HaloGAF Evolved

Status
Not open for further replies.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
It would be nice for customs though. Have weapon respawn drops that you tag to a specific weapon (lets say; rockets) and you drop 3-4 respawn waypoints around the map and can either set the spawn locatations (1-4) or set to random.

Would make for crazy "fiesta" type games or you could set them across a neutral imaginary line but set them to random so that you have to control all of the middle of the map for a chance to consistently pick it up.

Could be very interesting if these options are available.

i even think it would be a good change in all modes. it could eliminate an aspect that good players have been accustumed too, but that doesnt necessarily mean it would be a bad thing. instead of fighting for specific places on a map for a power weapon, you would have to cover the entire map otherwise give up those weapons that players/teams that do. of course, this is all in theory, i may hate it when i get my hands on it, but it sounds to me like it could be a good change

zap

I'm worried about a few things:

Mainly about the "grenadier" loadout-esque screenshot. Does 343 think they can make it work like Bungie couldn't?
(If that's a jetpack, can we please make sure it's a burst not a "Fly up and LOL your cover is useless now! Grenade! AR! Needler! Hah!"??)

Also the fact that armour can change characteristics... Kinda keen at the same time. It really depends on how it is done. Small passive changes I can deal with, but because it reduces/negates the "start equally" philosphy. How will I know if I can kill him in 4 shots, or if he is faster than me... etc?

The fact that they showed TWO sprint-melee combos scares me.

However, the fact that they showed the BR and BR gameplay only is a huge excite point.

I'm very positive, but I am a tad nervous.

So, when is the next blowout? :D

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Has anybody done a frame-by-frame grab of the last few seconds (before the logos)? Looks like there is one dark shot that doesn't fit with the rest...

I'd do it, but I'm stuck at work and can only watch the YouTube version.
1zh1s.png

NzZXW.png

V3sf9.png

And for concept art analyzers:

5fp4o.png

Spartan IV's under the helmet I'm guessing?

And no idea:

z2Ozl.png

uFqj9.png

Risen

i even think it would be a good change in all modes. it could eliminate an aspect that good players have been accustumed too, but that doesnt necessarily mean it would be a bad thing. instead of fighting for specific places on a map for a power weapon, you would have to cover the entire map otherwise give up those weapons that players/teams that do. of course, this is all in theory, i may hate it when i get my hands on it, but it sounds to me like it could be a good change

This thought process makes me grrrrrrrrrr. Except for the part where you say you may hate it when you get your hands on it.

Randomness belongs in a specific game type for grins, not overall game play.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I'm worried about a few things:

Mainly about the "grenadier" loadout-esque screenshot. Does 343 think they can make it work like Bungie couldn't?
(If that's a jetpack, can we please make sure it's a burst not a "Fly up and LOL your cover is useless now! Grenade! AR! Needler! Hah!"??)

Also the fact that armour can change characteristics... Kinda keen at the same time. It really depends on how it is done. Small passive changes I can deal with, but because it reduces/negates the "start equally" philosphy. How will I know if I can kill him in 4 shots, or if he is faster than me... etc?

The fact that they showed TWO sprint-melee combos scares me.

However, the fact that they showed the BR and BR gameplay only is a huge excite point.

I'm very positive, but I am a tad nervous.

So, when is the next blowout? :D

It seems the "start equally" mentality has gone out the window and I guess Reach was a positive litmus test. Sad, but I'm waiting for further details before I cast anything off. Maybe it's not as invasive, but I fear it is. Bigger fear being if functional upgrades are tied to leveling, which would be a damn shame but it's looking that way.

op_ivy

This thought process makes me grrrrrrrrrr. Except for the part where you say you may hate it when you get your hands on it.

Randomness belongs in a specific game type for grins, not overall game play.

thought process? opinion? not sure that battles, even competitive ones, have to revolve around controlling set areas of a map.

Was it announced that there would be no beta? Sorry, but I'm still searching through all of these links.
pretty much
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/81853...4_interview_at_microsoft_spring_shocase_2012/

Yeah, wow, the SP stuff looks quite simply amazing.

The MP looks good, but its really hard to judge its visuals and animations from the snippets we saw. It certainly doesn't look bad, but its hard to see how good it may look. I hope Wraparound looks pretty, but has a very typical forerunner look, which can be a bit bland over time. I hope the textures have some decent detail to make it look more interesting and varied.

Im bummed we didn't see more footage.

Was it announced that there would be no beta? Sorry, but I'm still searching through all of these links.

Yeah it was in the frankie interview.

6. Power weapons may not be on set timers

We’re hearing that power weapons may not respawn in at set intervals, adding some unpredictability as to when rocket launchers, Spartan Lasers, and WMDs may reappear on the battlefield. The point of this is to make sure experienced players won’t dominate matches by running timed circuits to grab all the best goodies.

If this is true I have a serious problem with that.

Arnie

That Venturebeat article, specifically the first page, has me scared shitless.

Honestly the footage gets me so excited but the things we're hearing in addition to that are doing the opposite.

If this is true I have a serious problem with that.
Same.

And the idea of different base traits based on armour pieces is chilling also.

Please... NO!

Same.

And the idea of different base traits based on armour pieces is chilling also.

I don't have a problem with that idea tbh. Shadowrun made it work (not armour pieces, but different races). It all depends on the amount of thought that goes into it and the direction they want to take it in. It can end up very great, or very bad. There's a big risk in going that way, so we'll just have to wait and see.

Risen

thought process? opinion? not sure that battles, even competitive ones, have to revolve around controlling set areas of a map.

Randomness cannot be in competition... by it's very nature it hands wins and losses out by luck. I wasn't getting personal ivy... was just saying the idea that it could be a good thing, particularly in core game play, makes me growl because it simply can't be competitive.

I completely get some might find it fun and exciting stumbling upon a power weapon at a random place and time... but again, it would in no way be balanced or competitive, nor would it make me a happy camper.

op_ivy

"On-screen icons will point out where weapon pickups are…for a special reason"

is there an example of this in the "Making of" video?

I know it's not, but I'm getting Blood Gulch/Coag vibes from this environment.

http://download.halowaypoint.com/content/waypoint/assets/images/5a6b2c36de6e47b1ae9c748dba7a171b/2820210-web_preview.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

As someone else stated above, it reminds me of Cortana. :lol

J-Roderton

So did Frankie mention that there would still be single shot type weapons, like the DMR, in there along with the BR? That should be interesting.

op_ivy

Randomness cannot be in competition... by it's very nature it hands wins and losses out by luck. I wasn't getting personal ivy... was just saying the idea that it could be a good thing, particularly in core game play, makes me growl because it simply can't be competitive.

I completely get some might find it fun and exciting stumbling upon a power weapon at a random place and time... but again, it would in no way be balanced or competitive, nor would it make me a happy camper.

i dont know about that. randomness is in plenty of competition and it certainly, even in this case, wouldnt hand out "wins and loses". it would change the way a game is played out on a map, but it may also make it so that more of a map is used for battle rather then key areas. this is all theoretical for the time being, but people should be more open to change is all.

I know it's not, but I'm getting Blood Gulch/Coag vibes from this environment.
2820210-web_preview.png

looks like burial mounds to me

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
It's certainly possible that 343's affinity for working with other developers may result in something exciting for Halo 4 in future. =)

There's definitely a bunch of stuff we'll talk about. Earlier [during the presentation] I hinted that we're changing multiplayer significantly, so I don't want to talk about partnerships right now

Arnie

I don't have a problem with that idea tbh. Shadowrun made it work. It all depends on the amount of thought that goes into it and the direction they want to take it in. It can end up very great, or very bad. There's a big risk in going that way, so we'll just have to wait and see.

I tell you what else Shadowrun made work: bloom. Put it in Halo though and it's the equivalent of putting your testicles in a blender.

I find that, along with the HUD showcasing where power weapons spawn, to be pretty fun. Will probably make for a rush to certain map areas when the icons appear. I think I'm fine with that.

One of the key parts of competitive halo is timing and controlling power weapon spawns. If they randomize it, they just noobified it.

GhaleonEB

It's certainly possible that 343's affinity for working with other developers may result in something exciting for Halo 4 in future. =)

Interesting.

It really does feel like the reveal is intentionally focused on the conventional basics: a demo of a Slayer on a couple of arena maps, showing the familiar elements of the game first. Sounds like there is much more afoot (I'm assuming beyond even Firefight).

i dont know about that. randomness is in plenty of competition and it certainly, even in this case, wouldnt hand out "wins and loses". it would change the way a game is played out on a map, but it may also make it so that more of a map is used for battle rather then key areas. this is all theoretical for the time being, but people should be more open to change is all.

Imagine MLG national championships where the last game is a slayer at 49-49 and one of the players is by rockets when it randomly spawns and gets a kill from it. They would win literally because of luck. That doesn't bode well in the competitive scene.

You know, the only good thing I can say about the Spartan IV armor is that it's made me appreciate the Chief's new armor a lot more. God, let there be insane amounts of customization plz.

For the rest, though, the hype's building. I'm getting excited.

I tell you what else Shadowrun made work: bloom. Put it in Halo though and it's the equivalent of putting your testicles in a blender.

Yeah, but that was bungie's doing. Their execution of bloom was very off. Bloom would have been much better if it punished spammers much more and if it took like 3 shots to kill someone (that way speed of kill doesn't become longer than normal halo).

But like I said, it's a big risk going in that direction. You can end up with Shadowrun, or Halo Reach.

Is there going to be an option for DOF in theater mode?

I love photography in real life, but the lack of creative control in theater mode has always held back my enjoyment of the screenshot functionality (a little bit). But knowing that i could explore the forerunner environments with a great DSLR...now THAT is pretty exciting to me.

You know, the only good thing I can say about the Spartan IV armor is that it's made me appreciate the Chief's new armor a lot more. God, let there be insane amounts of customization plz.

For the rest, though, the hype's building. I'm getting excited.

I find it to be an improvement from Reach's armor. I felt like they really screwed up how spartans looked in reach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom