• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT10| The Calm Before The Storm

You seem to ignore Slayer Pro as being an option for competitive players so you can argue that not having visual ranks indicates the "cold truth" about competitive Halo. Can I ask as to why a visual system (note: Not the underlying matchmaking systems that determie how evenly mathed the teams are) takes precedence over the very settings that aren't far from a perfect competitive playlist?

When are people going to realise that the desire for ranked playlists doesn't just come from a militant, miniscule, MLG hardcore minority, who can apparently be quelled by having a single bone thrown at them to chew on at the bottom of a rain sodden garden while the rest of the party are lavished with a buffet in the mansion?

It's a mentality that's pervaded since the tailend of Halo 3's reign. Consider the language used by Bungie when describing those that they thought favoured ranking systems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzeR9PDTbn0&feature=player_detailpage#t=349s

Joe Tung: "Arena is a really awesome evolution for people who want to play really hardcorecompetitive multiplayer"

Luke Timmins: "Build that space where we can say if 'you're hyper competitive, you care about stats', we've made this for you"

Was the incredibly successful and bread and butter appeal of Halo 3's Team Slayer playlist indebted to it being 'Really hardcore'? Were the denizens of Halo 3's numerous ranked playlists, even Grifball and Infection, 'Hyper competitive'? Even the vast majority of whom we know populated the 1-30 skill range?

What Bungie did with Arena was shoehorn ranked matchmaking into this quarantined, scary place, this one sole intimidating playlist where all of the 'really hardcore' and 'hyper competitive' players would be sure to be localised and contained. In Halo 3 a player could gauge their proficiency in a variety of different gameplay scenarios. Hitting a wall at level 41 in Team Slayer? Let's go play Doubles, maybe push for the 45. A player could have a 50 in Team Objective and be an incredible support player and flag runner but only manage a 20 in Team Snipers. A quick flick through the different playlists to see a players trueskill number in each told you more about a player and their strengths than commendations ever will. Contrast this to Reach's Arena where you are only gauged on one portion of the game, a specified version of Team Slayer which has no social analogue playlist (one nade, certain AA's removed etc). And its only meta incentive, the hugely important visual aspect of the rank which motivated players by engaging their pride and ego, was confined to that one playlist and buried behind walls of menus deep within the UI.

Another problem with designing your ranking system around one playlist for 'really hardcore' players is that, while that sort of language and UI 'body language' will be sure to scare off the casual player looking for a meaningful game, it will prick the ears up of the guys with the 'MLG OFF HOST" gamerpic, so you'd better make sure those settings are truly hardcore, competitive and balanced. What did they get? Armour Lock, jetpacks and Red Team getting rockets on a plate off initial spawns on Reflection. So the MLG guys leave shaking their heads at the settings and simply play MLG instead. Arena is left with a pitiful population.

Don't let Arena's failure be a definitive indictment against visual, skill based ranking systems in Halo. 1-50 was a very successful system in Halo's 2 and 3. It thrived and it worked incredibly well in motivating and pushing the playerbase forward over days, months, years to continually strive to improve itself and fundamentally, to care about what happened in that particular game. Not the match in three games time where you'll finaly have enough EXP to unlock the nemesis and stealth perk.

Moa

Gamebreaker.

It is clear that this bug was in fact the Ancient Evil.

EDIT: Works just like Reach, you turn into a Monitor for a Spartan, you are in the Spartan HUD, die as a Monitor and respawn, you're in the Monitor HUD.

blamite

On Impact, the guy had the HUD of a Spartan, now he has the HUD of a Monitor.

We had this glitch with Reach, can't believe it is is still in Halo 4.

Eh, I'm fine with that not being fixed. I never liked the huge circle on the edge on the monitor HUD. Now if only it extended to turning off the annoying monitor sound loop...

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I was ok with the Chopper being gone, because I knew there was gonna be some SICK Forerunner vehicles to make up for it

"whoops"
dTjRS.jpg

+

7rRDn.jpg

What could have been.

LlRlQ.gif

I was ok with the Chopper being gone, because I knew there was gonna be some SICK Forerunner vehicles to make up for it

"whoops"

Yeah. =/

On Impact, the guy had the HUD of a Spartan, now he has the HUD of a Monitor.

We had this glitch with Reach, can't believe it is is still in Halo 4.

Outsourced features.

To be clear though, I dont care about harmless little things like that.. Still, Forge seems rather... Reach 2.0 rather than Forge 3.0.

bahaha beat! I was planning on making a gif outta the Tron Light Jet but got lazy..

Someone get on that shit! Would been way sexier!

Also, re: Forge, Based on everything I've seen, I don't want to make maps on any of these environments. :/

I think 3 Sandbox remakes would've been amazing! Just swap out the different environments and different skyboxes..

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
This motorcycle talk is seriously bumming me out right now. :(

What could've been the return of the chopper or a new glorious forerunner cycle. Hell, both.

But hey, we got the ghost! *crickets*

blamite

Back when Forge was first shown at RTX, I thought it was pointed out that the UI elements were extremely placeholder? But everything we've seen of it in it's final form looks almost exactly the same...

Also, re: Forge, Based on everything I've seen, I don't want to make maps on any of these environments. :/

Duji

Also, good riddance to 1 Flag. Many hours of my life have been wasted waiting on rounds to end in a 5 v 1 game after the 2nd round.
We would've never seen this problem had they implemented 1 Flag properly by stopwatching it on top not forcing you to play pointless rounds. If any flag mode needed fixing, it was 1 Flag. It's pretty disheartening that they just chucked it out instead.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Meme_-_Sona_I_am_Disappoint.png

from watching that stream, game looks very buggy :(

They are tunneling a LAN game over the Internet

Core gameplay is very good - if I didn't already play the game I would have probably cancelled my pre-order and settled for Black Ops 2 based on this leaked footage though. 343 really needs to step up - shut these guys down and get proper videos out there themselves.

Core gameplay is very good - if I didn't already play the game I would have probably cancelled my pre-order and settled for Black Ops 2 based on this leaked footage though. 343 really needs to step up - shut these guys down and get proper videos out there themselves.
I'm seriously looking into Black Ops 2, largely because it has leagues.

And I haven't actually bought a CoD game since 4.

MrDaravon

In hindsight BO was the best CoD since 4, it might be worth it. Do what I'm doing and buy BO2 and Halo 4, then we can bitch about the things that the other one does wrong.

Black ops (the first one) - was a very good game. Competitively balanced, fun and avoided the bad mechanics that plagued the Infinity Ward CoD games. Black Ops 2 though seems to have some of the garbage introduced in Modern Warfare 3 :(

Halo 4 is hopefully so good im tempted to say I wont have time to touch CoD. The recent news leaks have made me less confident of that, but despite the playlist set ups/ vehicles/ etc - at least I know the core gameplay is good enough to carry it through.

Multiplayer progression spoiler (just in case)
Im really bummed out about how weapons/ Armour abilities and perks work - you have to rank up to earn spartan tokens, then redeem tokens on unlocks. That sucks and means people wont be able to experiment with the sandbox outside of customs :(

Yeah, this. Storyline reveals will get you fucked up by the Ghetto Style DJs.

Awesome. Can you ban people who make joke spoiler posts? They are just as annoying as the real spoiler posts. People have been pretending to have broken spoiler tags as a joke - sucks when people do that.

SR-8 already. All that 'basic editing' sure adds up.

I imagine that 'offline' mode earns you more credits - its the same with Reach.

A couple people said there were no improvements made to theater. Can someone please tell me whether or not you can watch films with other people online? I miss that so much from Halo 3.

Smeghead

For a developer seemingly chasing the carrot on a stick style of multiplayer, I find it pretty baffling that the biggest, most time investing carrot of them all won't be included in regards to 1-50.

Also the way they are going about not revealing any info and being so secretive is deplorable. They've shown whole new game types/weapons/maps/vehicles, yet they can't release one nugget of official information about the level system.

Is it because they don't want backlash or what? Or is it simply because it's a tiny fraction of the playerbase that cares, that they couldn't give a toss as they know they'll suck it up anyway since they're big fans of the game itself.

I hope I'm wrong and they have something up their ass.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Multiplayer progression spoiler (just in case)
Im really bummed out about how weapons/ Armour abilities and perks work - you have to rank up to earn spartan tokens, then redeem tokens on unlocks. That sucks and means people wont be able to experiment with the sandbox outside of customs :(

dont see this as much of a problem personally. everyone should be fairly even at the start and there are map specific loadouts to cover the biggest impacts, spawning weapons. it certainly doesnt seem as prohibitive as say CoD.

Are there no self-shadows in forge?

i noticeed that in one of the gamespot videos.... so yeah, dont think so...

Woorloog

Banned
For a developer seemingly chasing the carrot on a stick style of multiplayer, I find it pretty baffling that the biggest, most time investing carrot of them all won't be included in regards to 1-50.

COD carrot without 1-50 works for COD all right.
Arguably Reach's system, while similar, didn't work because it didnt' reward players "properly".
Working skill matching plus proper COD-like progression system, i reckon that will work for most people. Well, new people. Halo vets might not be so keen on it, based on HaloGAF.

I don't care for skill-ranks myself but skill matching is important.

Redford

aka Cabbie
If possible just they should just switch the killcam from first-person to third. Still get a general idea of what went down.

blamite

Is it bad that I really want to see this guy die so I can see the invisible forge kill-cam?

edit: THERE WE GO! And the kill-cam worked just fine, everything visible.

Woorloog

Banned
Are there no self-shadows in forge? Is this part of the price we pay for build-a-block mode?

It seems that there are self-shadows but only from map geometry, not player placed pieces. The lightmap created by them doesn't seem to be causing self-shadows.
At least that's how it looked to me.

It seems that there are self-shadows but only from map geometry, not player placed pieces. The lightmap created by them doesn't seem to be causing self-shadows.
At least that's how it looked to me.

They said in one of the Forge reveals (and showed in one of the videos) that Forge pieces received AND cast shadows on the map.

Top Bottom