• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT10| The Calm Before The Storm

Amazing Mic

Neo Member
This rank talk has me wanting to make one last go for a H3 50 before H4's launch.

I've picked it up a couple times the last couple years, but couldn't get past the lag. Well, here goes nothing...

DeadNames

Banned
Wait... So there's now skill based ranking?

Erm... WTF 343? Didn't they say there would be one?

I feel like in most ways, Halo 4 is one step forward and two steps back. In terms of MP, theater, forge, of course.

But Halo 5... Oh baby. I have a feeling that game will be great.

So, did the leaks cover what the groups feature is? Part of me wonders if that will tie into ranks...or something. Also, do we have any decent pics of Vortex?

willow ve

I feel like in most ways, Halo 4 is one step forward and two steps back. In terms of MP, theater, forge, of course.

That's what we all said about 4... after Reach...

Havok

Don't worry. They've got it covered. You'll still be able to check your BPR on Waypoint.
I do wonder if BPR will make a return, and if it'll be what they use to do skill matching. I certainly hope not, at least not in its current incarnation. I've been at 100 since the beginning, but there's no way I'm at the top of the skill curve for all players and I'd hate to be matched as if I were. I'm pretty good at Halo, but people who are way more into the game demolish me on a regular basis in Reach, especially when they're in full teams.

willow ve

I do wonder if BPR will make a return, and if it'll be what they use to do skill matching. I certainly hope not, at least not in its current incarnation. I've been at 100 since the beginning, but there's no way I'm at the top of the skill curve for all players and I'd hate to be matched as if I were. I'm pretty good at Halo, but people who are way more into the game demolish me on a regular basis in Reach, especially when they're in full teams.

If they simply must use BPR... then make it differentiated for each separate playlist and put it in the actual game and visible on every player card in a lobby (you know, like a rank...). Who want's to check an independent website for stats during a lobby?

In Reach didn't you need to play X amount of Invasion to qualify for the BPR ranking?

Karl2177

Actually, if this is the first XBL mainline Halo game to lack a ranking system, and if there are a substantial amount of players craving one, this sounds like a job for the amazing Halo community to solve!
Hahahahahahahahaha. I'm sure there's a few people out there that are great at math.

Havok

If they simply must use BPR... then make it differentiated for each separate playlist and put it in the actual game and visible on every player card in a lobby (you know, like a rank...). Who want's to check an independent website for stats during a lobby?

In Reach didn't you need to play X amount of Invasion to qualify for the BPR ranking?
You needed 10 games of Invasion, Arena, or Competitive for it to kick in.

I agree, it needs to be differentiated by playlist and featured prominently in the UI. My 100 of mainly Objective is nowhere near the same as a 100 BPR MLG player or a 100 BPR Infection player.

Computron

So that Minecraft sure can look good nowadays:

fGJvN.jpg

INfgi.jpg

e1u0a.jpg

RnVgm.jpg

FUZ9n.jpg

XLZdv.jpg

EweuO.jpg

feel

Vanilla Minecraft is beautiful and charming in its own peculiar way. Mod it and it becomes very ugly because you're now comparing it to normal looking games.

Halo 5 is the generational graphics jump one, don't hold your breath. Now Halo 6, ooooh.. that's the one where maybe we get Theater 2.0 with spectator modes and uploads to youtube.. *drools*

Computron

Yeah, texture packs are awesome but require a good rig to run.

That ain't the texture packs doing most of the work. The Lighting, Shadows and Post process effects alone do a lot even with default textures.

Also, this particular shader set runs reasonably well on modern medium spec PCs.

That ain't the texture packs doing most of the work. The Lighting, Shadows and Post process effects alone do a lot even with default textures.

Also, this particular shader set runs reasonably well on modern medium spec PCs.

Yeah yeah...what I'm saying is not on xbox haha.

orznge

Banned
Vanilla Minecraft is beautiful and charming in its own peculiar way. Mod it and it becomes very ugly because you're now comparing it to normal looking games.

Halo 5 is the generational graphics jump one, don't hold your breath. Now Halo 6, ooooh.. that's the one where maybe we get Theater 2.0 with spectator modes and uploads to youtube.. *drools*

neoism

any new streams out there?

you guys are crazy why ruin what will be an awesome game.. unless your taking about MP... Still really glad I have D3 patch, BL2 Dlc and Dishonored to keep my mind away...til the 6th, shame halogaf doesn't play halo anymore. :/

you guys are crazy why ruin what will be an awesome game.. unless your taking about MP... Still really glad I have D3 patch, BL2 Dlc and Dishonored to keep my mind away...til the 6th, shame halogaf doesn't play halo anymore. :/

That's what I want. I could watch MP streaming for days...

kylej

Banned
there are more than half a million people watching a league of legends championship on twitch

what the fuck is league of legends

xBrutality

Neo Member

im only talking mp. i love my halo storyline too much to spoil it <3

Tawpgun

Hi guys. Officially on the slrp wagon for Halo 4. Will do a big write up sometime soon, though I will say this...

I am now TOTALLY on board with the committed carrier thing. You gotta play it, it feels awesome.

But the auto pick up is straight up annoying. Got screwed over twice because of it.

as I said - there is more to say later. Let me be clear about one thing - the game tracks and accounts very rich skill data. Sorry for vagueness but clarity is coming.
More clarity? We have all the clarity we need:

NO VISIBLE SKILL RANKING SYSTEM IN HALO 4

I read that shit on NeoGAF.com.

Reading Frankie's statements and getting that suggests a history of head trauma.

Redford

aka Cabbie
No offence to you all, but it is refreshing to hear how interested the typical gamer is about H4. Didn't really feel that buzz in 2010.

What I mean is it's cool to see people psyched for even the stuff that's abhorred in here. Sometimes I forget people other than Waypoint and GAF kids play Halo.

This wasn't intended to be a slight. :p

harmonize

Please no spoilers or specifics, but for those who have seen it, did the campaign meet your expectations? The multi-player (or at least from what I've heard of it) really has me nervous about the entire game :/

I'd ask this in one of the two other threads, but I'm not looking to get spoilered. Some of you have made it sound like it's a minefield in there.

Pop

So BlackOps2 gets skill based ranks

Halo4 drops skill based ranks

BlackOps2 overhauls their theater mode

Halo4 rehashes from Reach

Did 343i not learn anything from the last Halo. H3 longevity was due in fact of ranking, Reach numbers are just piss poor in every playlist besides the noob friendly living dead and bloom filled team slayer. Really how hard what it had been to rehash and recopy H3 ranking system, hell its held up for fucking 5 years now.

But I guess when your catering to noobs and every other community besides competitive you get Halo 4.

/supersalty

DeadNames

Banned
Edit: NVM this part.

Good thing CoD is a clusterfuck of shitty maps, unbalance, and overall frustration.

But it has a nice theater right? And "skill" based ranks?

"Hey you guys winning?"
"Yeah"
"Lemme join, gotta boost my SKILLZ RANKKKKKKKK"

/SLRP

Top Bottom