• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT11| Forward Unto Dong

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand the gist of what you're saying, but what single change to Halo 4 multiplayer should have engaged Halo fans bristling with excitement to crack open War Games?

I get this, I suppose its really a wait and see deal at the end of the day but Halo 4 made improvements upon reach so is that not something to look forward to?

Thread is full of negativity before 90% have played the game

Arnie

I get this, I suppose its really a wait and see deal at the end of the day but Halo 4 made improvements upon reach so is that not something to look forward to?

Thread is full of negativity before 90% have played the game

I'm still excited, I'm still anticipating that first won BR duel, and that first expertly banked grenade off that slick Forerunner ramp; I just want a 50 for doing so.

Being facetious with the last part, of course.

aj1467

W97Q7.png

Do you feel it? Ancient evil awakens.

Bet it won't be as good looking as that profile pic.

I doubt any spoilers will be posted tbh. It said the same thing to me last week.

EDIT: wow, page 14 already?!

Omni

Just finished my Reach campaign panoramas!

Well, I trimmed them down and scaled them a lot in the preview above, but the original files are huge! I will have to admit though, it's very easy to forget how great the campaign looks in Reach.

Woorloog

Banned
Beta for 5 packed into a remake of Halo 2.

Halo 5 Beta as Halo 2 Anniversary's multiplayer, only available for two weeks, costs full price.

I'd prefer no public beta, people demand (and devs give) stupid changes. Like over-nerfed Halo Reach pistol (sure it needed a nerf, but not that big, though that's really Bungie's fault). Or 15 shot DMR (two kills with two spare shots would have been more interesting, reduce long-range spamming).

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Well, I trimmed them down and scaled them a lot in the preview above, but the original files are huge! I will have to admit though, it's very easy to forget how great the campaign looks in Reach.

I don't understand why Reachs campaign got so much hate.

Reachs gameplay was terrible to be sure but IMO the campaign was well scripted and well executed.

The ending was particularly amazing.

Arnie

I went to bed when Ellis posted a cryptic remark about liking gameplay trailers last night, did anything more come about on that?

Tawpgun

Halo 5 Beta as Halo 2 Anniversary's multiplayer, only available for two weeks, costs full price.

I'd prefer no public beta, people demand (and devs give) stupid changes. Like over-nerfed Halo Reach pistol (sure it needed a nerf, but not that big, though that's really Bungie's fault). Or 15 shot DMR (two kills with two spare shots would have been more interesting, reduce long-range spamming).

wut.

No one was asking for a pistol nerf. NO ONE. The only people that may have caused it are all the AR sprayers that cried when they got beat by the pistol. Bungie decided the best course of action was to nerf the pistol. Their fault for making that decision.

AND WHAT WHAT WHAT AT BEING FOR 12 SHOT DMR.

Good lord. Aside from the movement speed and jump height, that was the biggest problem with the Beta.

I'm still salty our precision weapons in Halo 4 can't get more than 2 kills per mag.

Woorloog

Banned
I don't understand why Reachs campaign got so much hate.

Reachs gameplay was terrible to be sure but IMO the campaign was well scripted and well executed.

The ending was particularly amazing.

Guess it is time to list all the annoying things. EDIT may have forgotten some stuff. Oh, well, Reach has so many bad things i can't remember to list them all.

Story/Setting:
-bad writing
-weak dialogue
-boring, cliche characters with lackluster deaths (Emile's was cool but kinda cliche too)
-retcons
-no cohesive story
-Reach didn't feel important
-Reach didn't look like UNSC military capital
-boring, generic mission objectives
-didn't feel very scifi, it was too grounded.
-weak ending, a true Spartan would have tried to damage the Covenant war machine as much as possible, not stay in one place and kill a few enemies and then die
-main character was a blank, though this is subjective, personally i do not like blank player characters
-
It also wasted a fantastic opportunity of capturing Spartan teamwork.
Definetly.

Graphics/Art:
-film grain
-desaturated look (relative to other Halos)
-art (subjective, personally i wasn't a big fan), it was too "real" not scifi enough.
-Reach was too Earth-like, didn't feel like some terraformed colony-world.
-no particularly memorable locations

Music/Sound:
-not memorable, didn't feel very Halo for most part.
-same pieces were heard too often
-some weak voice acting
-the Elites didn't sound good. Halo CE Elites sounded more menacing
-no silly Grunts.

Gameplay/Sandbox:
-slow movement, inertia
-Covenant could headshot the player for the first time in Halos
-inhuman (no pun intended), too accurate AI shooting, they could shoot you with a Fuel Rod Gun 50 meters away while jetpacking, even on lower difficulties
-all Covies were too strong, even basic Grunts took a lot of bullets to kill (if no headshot weapon)
-weapons feel weak though they sound good. Grenade launcher was too rare, it was the only interesting addition to the sandbox
-armor abilities were irrelevant in the campaign, we didn't get to choose them, finding them was rare, jetpack was forced on you in one mission.
-the AI saw through camo, making it useless in single player (reduces AI interest in MP so it works, sometimes)
-vehicle health system makes vehicle combat bad. AI driving skills are horrible. AI gunnery skills are weak as well. The tank just ain't a fun vehicle in single player, too slow and unwieldy
-space section was repetitive and too long, and wasn't very interesting gameplay-wise
-sandbox didn't get enough new toys
-Revenant was kinda boring, felt weak
-Falcon didn't have transport capability in multiplayer
-power weapons were kinda underpowered against the AI in campaign, even a Minor Elite could survive the Laser
-no Chopper
-Legendary wasn't really harder than before but more frustrating, more trial-and-error, especially if one didn't want to just stay back and slowly use DMR against the Covies. Up-close and personal approach works in Halo 3 but not in Reach.

Campaign/Missions:
-rail-shooter sections
-encounter design wasn't up to Halo 3 level
-DMR trivialized many encounters, the AI still can't handle long-range fighting
-Grenade launcher was too rare
-mission objectives and design was boring, uninteresting (go press button, then another)
-too many missions felt like they're reusing earlier Halos' missions, not enough originality (New Alexandria is a bad mission, way too repetitive)
-boring locales, irrelevant tasks with no relation to each other (story cohesiveness above).
-some areas were too restrictive, not having enough options, especially on heroic/legendary
-space mission wasn't good. The Saber had really generic design and wasn't interesting gameplay-wise. The section was too long as well.

Other:
-Playlist management
-Progression system wasn't very rewarding, too slow.
-Firefight, customization was good but... why did they turn it into a shooting gallery?

Conor 419

Banned
Guess it is time to list all the annoying things. EDIT may have forgotten some stuff. Oh, well, Reach has so many bad things i can't remember to list them all.

Story/Setting:
-bad writing
-weak dialogue
-boring, cliche characters with lackluster deaths (Emile's was cool but kinda cliche too)
-retcons
-no cohesive story
-Reach didn't feel important
-Reach didn't look like UNSC military capital
-boring, generic mission objectives
-didn't feel very scifi, it was too grounded.
-weak ending, a true Spartan would have tried to damage the Covenant war machine as much as possible, not stay in one place and kill a few enemies and then die
-main character was a blank, though this is subjective, personally i do not like blank player characters

Graphics/Art:
-film grain
-desaturated look (relative to other Halos)
-art (subjective, personally i wasn't a big fan)
-Reach was too Earth-like, didn't feel like some terraformed colony-world.
-no particularly memorable locations

Music/Sound:
-not memorable, didn't feel very Halo for most part.
-same pieces were heard too often
-some weak voice acting

Gameplay/Sandbox:
-Covenant could headshot the player for the first time in Halos
-inhuman (no pun intended), too accurate AI shooting, they could shoot you with a Fuel Rod Gun 50 meters away while jetpacking, even on lower difficulties
-all Covies were too strong, even basic Grunts took a lot of bullets to kill (if no headshot weapon)
-weapons feel weak though they sound good. Grenade launcher was too rare, it was the only interesting addition to the sandbox
-armor abilities were irrelevant in the campaign, we didn't get to choose them, finding them was rare, jetpack was forced on you in one mission.
-the AI saw through camo, making it useless in single player (reduces AI interest in MP so it works, sometimes)
-vehicle health system makes vehicle combat bad. AI driving skills are horrible. AI gunnery skills are weak as well. The tank just ain't a fun vehicle in single player, too slow and unwieldy
-space section was repetitive and too long, and wasn't very interesting gameplay-wise
-sandbox didn't get enough new toys
-Revenant was kinda boring, felt weak
-Falcon didn't have transport capability in multiplayer
-power weapons were kinda underpowered against the AI in campaign, even a Minor Elite could survive the Laser
-no Chopper
-Legendary wasn't really harder than before but more frustrating, more trial-and-error, especially if one didn't want to just stay back and slowly use DMR against the Covies. Up-close and personal approach works in Halo 3 but not in Reach.

Campaign/Missions:
-rail-shooter sections
-encounter design wasn't up to Halo 3 level
-DMR trivialized many encounters, the AI still can't handle long-range fighting
-Grenade launcher was too rare
-mission objectives and design was boring, uninteresting (go press button, then another)
-too many missions felt like they're reusing earlier Halos' missions, not enough originality (New Alexandria is a bad mission, way too repetitive)
-boring locales, irrelevant tasks with no relation to each other (story cohesiveness above).
-some areas were too restrictive, not having enough options, especially on heroic/legendary
-space mission wasn't good. The Saber had really generic design and wasn't interesting gameplay-wise. The section was too long as well.

Woorloog

Banned
wut.

No one was asking for a pistol nerf. NO ONE. The only people that may have caused it are all the AR sprayers that cried when they got beat by the pistol. Bungie decided the best course of action was to nerf the pistol. Their fault for making that decision.

AND WHAT WHAT WHAT AT BEING FOR 12 SHOT DMR.

Good lord. Aside from the movement speed and jump height, that was the biggest problem with the Beta.

I'm still salty our precision weapons in Halo 4 can't get more than 2 kills per mag.

I'm pretty sure i saw a lot of pistol-nerf requests. I wasn't reading GAF actively back then though, dunno 'bout people here.
Either way, Bungie listened to some people when making changes. AR buff would have been better, the DMR and the Pistol would have still been better.

I think a smaller mag for the DMR would have reduces spamming and made team-shooting or use of Plasma Pistol EMP more important, though arguably the DMR's issues stem more from the map design than the weapon itself. And while at it, the damage could have been upped to 4 shot kill.
Also, green ammo counter was cooler.
And recoil removal. Should've removed/reduced bloom and kept the recoil at very least.

EDIT note that i have somewhat different opinions from most HaloGAFers...

Added to my list.

Tawpgun

Seems the only people that liked Reach campaign are the people who hated the flood and any kind of deep lore. That's what I got from the gaming side thread. They just wanted it to be humans vs aliens, nice and simple.

I guess they got what they want.

Overall, to sum up the Reach campagin, it was just missed opportunities.

Covenant Reveal was weak.
Characters were severely underdeveloped.
For as much as they wanted to make Reach a character, it sure felt bland and underdeveloped. New Alexandria and parts of Exodus were the only time I felt the situation was dire.
Missions were weak (PRESS BUTTONS TO BEAT COVENANT)
Brutes sucked

Things Halo Reach did really well
>>>SURVIVE<<<

I think a smaller mag for the DMR would have reduces spamming and made team-shooting or use of Plasma Pistol EMP more important

Why.

Reach already took a shit on the lethality of the individual and you wanted it to go FURTHER down that path?

Woorloog

Banned
Eh, i think i should make a list about Halo 3's shortcomings as well. And while at it, make lists what i liked about Halo 3 and Reach, otherwise people might get a feeling i'm a very negative person.

EDIT Tawpgun makes a good summary, though i don't agree with the last two points. The Brutes were weakly done but didn't suck, and survival, lol.

Thread makes me think of: Double, double, toil and trouble.

Must watch the LE unboxing video. Seeing disappointed comments does not make me hopeful. It's not exactly cheap, at €90.

Seems the only people that liked Reach campaign are the people who hated the flood and any kind of deep lore. That's what I got from the gaming side thread. They just wanted it to be humans vs aliens, nice and simple.

Overall, to sum up the Reach campagin, it was just missed opportunities.

Covenant Reveal was weak.
Characters were severely underdeveloped.
For as much as they wanted to make Reach a character, it sure felt bland and underdeveloped. New Alexandria and parts of Exodus were the only time I felt the situation was dire.
Missions were weak (PRESS BUTTONS TO BEAT COVENANT)
Brutes sucked

Things Halo Reach did really well
>>>SURVIVE<<<

I like the Flood, I've read most of the Halo books, and I still like Reach.

Woorloog

Banned
There are, but not many.

- bad writing
- weak dialogue
- weak voice acting

These are all the same thing. It requires one bullet point. Not three.

Well, writing does include, IMO, the script, ie what happens in missions, non-verbal stuff, backround events (so, it is more like "bad mission design" listed in story section.
Voice acting and dialogue are separate, you can have well written interesting dialogue that is acted badly and vice versa.

I'm not a writer. I'm not good at expressing myself. Deal with repeated points.

JackHerer

I'm pretty sure i saw a lot of pistol-nerf requests. I wasn't reading GAF actively back then though, dunno 'bout people here.
Either way, Bungie listened to some people when making changes. AR buff would have been better, the DMR and the Pistol would have still been better.

I think a smaller mag for the DMR would have reduces spamming and made team-shooting or use of Plasma Pistol EMP more important, though arguably the DMR's issues stem more from the map design than the weapon itself. And while at it, the damage could have been upped to 4 shot kill.
Also, green ammo counter was cooler.
And recoil removal. Should've removed/reduced bloom and kept the recoil at very least.

EDIT note that i have somewhat different opinions from most HaloGAFers...

Added to my list.

Team shooting was already given too much importance in Reach. At least when it was all 100% bloom. The DMR with full bloom was such a lousy weapon that you basically had to team shot a lot of the time or they would be able to get away. Especially if they were a good distance from you.

Well, writing does include, IMO, the script, ie what happens in missions, non-verbal stuff, backround events (so, it is more like "bad mission design" listed in story section.
Voice acting and dialogue are separate, you can have well written interesting dialogue that is acted badly and vice versa.

I'm not a writer. I'm not good at expressing myself. Deal with repeated points.

What does your list of things Reach did well look like?

Woorloog

Banned
Why.

Reach already took a shit on the lethality of the individual and you wanted it to go FURTHER down that path?

Eh, sure, the game's weapons aren't lethal... gave the wrong idea. Strong weapons but no lasting power is ideal, i think, people need support and tricks to survive long.
Large magazines and lot of spares allow lone wolves to work too long.

Hmm, going to need some time to think.

EDIT also adding lousy playlist management and stupid progression system to my list.

TheOddOne

This makes me sad and angry at the same time. People expect FPS&#8217;s to be dumb and meaningless, yet when it gets a story it is &#8220;pretentious&#8221;. It feels like people themselves are holding the genre back.

That might sound just a bit too harsh, but to some extent it is true.

Beckx

People who don't like New Alexandria are bad peoples.

-------

So all this nonsense about spoiling the ending is just a damn symptom of a larger problem. Too much focus on endings, and too much importance placed on them, like every game is an M Night Shamaylan film.

It's like we're spending tens and hundreds millions of dollars to make ornate jack-in-the-boxes.

Tawpgun

I'll answer this for myself.

The Lone Wolf ending sequence was the best out of any Halo game, nostalgia for Warthog runs aside.

New Alexandria was fucking sweet, but plagued by some Brute encounters unfortunately.

ELITES ARE AWESOME

Skirmishers > Drones

I liked the cutscenes...

You are Noble 6 element with your own Spartan (though the voice sucked because of it)

Armor Abilities (though camo being useless on higher difficulties was pretty dumb)
---------------
As for MP....

The netcode and hitscan. Literally can't think of another thing that Reach MP did right.

Omni

I'll answer this for myself.

The Lone Wolf ending sequence was the best out of any Halo game, nostalgia for Warthog runs aside.

New Alexandria was fucking sweet, but plagued by some Brute encounters unfortunately.

ELITES ARE AWESOME

Skirmishers > Drones

I liked the cutscenes...

You are Noble 6 element with your own Spartan (though the voice sucked because of it)

Armor Abilities (though camo being useless on higher difficulties was pretty dumb)

Naaa.

Woorloog

Banned
Good stuff in Reach, not going to be a very long list. EDIT also, originally i liked Reach far more but many things started to bother me later on. Many.

-Spartan 3's, very interesting idea but ultimately wasted. Points for the idea. Too bad there was no SPI armor.
-nice to see many Spartans togheter
-Halsey appearing in the campaign... if only here presence had been more important, if only her importance had been explained
-Some locations were quite beatiful, the first mission and Tip of the Spear come to mind.
-Sound design was good overall
-UI's good and pretty
-Active Rooster
-fast matchmaking
-expanded armor customization
-Covenant Corvette design, its interiors
-Firefight customization
-Alien design was generally good. Grunt armors are stupid.
-Generally good feedback, though slow movement made that kinda irrelevant
-Halsey's Journal, best Collector/Limited Edition item there is so far.
-Grenade Launcher
-More fun in co-op than SP though not so fun as Halo 3 or earlier co-op
-Fun in MM with a friend, regardless of the game's shortcomings
-Campaign MM though that input lag made it kinda worthless

Also added a couple of negatives to that list; what was wrong about art.

It wasn't Fall of Reach with a bit of First Strike.

THIS THIS THIS
If only we had gotten to play the parts where Spartan IIs fight on Reach from those books.
(While i don't like Nylund's writing for a thousandth time, the books had some memorable stuff)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom