• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT11| Forward Unto Dong

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackHerer

I just had a game on Ragnarok where two of every vehicle spawned. two Mantises (Manti?), two Banshees, two Warthogs, etc. Weird glitch, it felt like I was playing heavies.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I'm not sure what it is with the lag compensation but the amount of times that it just ends up killing both people is much higher than any previous game.

Not surprised this issue hasn't been fixed since 2004 since Microsoft can't be bothered to set up dedicated servers since it might take money away from their marketing

It worked fine halo 2 prepatch

Both players have no shields. Whoever hit first wins. if both hit at same time... whoever had highest health wins. If both have equal health and hit at same time then whoever wins the roll of the dice survives. That way you can pass it off as potentially the player having more health than you so you don't blame the system.

Either you leave it open for players to discover an exploit and boost before 343 can respond, undermining your own efforts for progression, or you do what they're doing now. The idea that progression is tied directly to someone's satisfaction in Halo 4 blows my mind. If you're capping, be proud, not frustrated.

The fact that progression is a thing in halo... Is stupid. Let alone caps incorporated in such a dumb manner.

If it wasn't for actually having a decent core gameplay model, 343 would effectively be competing with bungie in bungling multiplayer. Sry.

Omni

Because
he fell through a slipspace portal, he isn't dead

Hmph, interesting if true.

Anyone know if we're able to get the CGI episodes of SpOps as a download? Just streamed the first one for the first time and it was a couple of hundred of MB apparently. I'm on a 15GB a month plan, so don't really have the luxury of streaming things every time I want to view them.

-Get rid of global ordnance. Bring back the old timed static weapon system or at least some sort of system that is predictable. Duncan suggested a 2d map like GoW3 or in-game indicators that show when and where weapons will drop.

-Get rid of JIP (matched into games where one team is about to win and there are games where it is 3v5 for the whole match).

-Get rid of jetpack (still ruins map flow)

-Get rid of being able to shoot grenades. I don't mind being able to shoot the sticky detonator once it is planted though.

-Bring back death markers.

-Simplify the UI, it is convoluted.

-Make the party system easier to maintain.

-No Slayer or Objective gametypes on Abandon.

These are the most jarring aspects of multiplayer so far.

Haha, what? That's all the gametypes.

I think I have had more laggy games in the last four days of Halo 4 than I have all year in Reach :/
Really? The game is pretty playable in a lot of times. Yes. I am having a freaking delay if I play with Americans but at the end it isn't that bad as Reach.

Hmph, interesting if true.

Anyone know if we're able to get the CGI episodes of SpOps as a download? Just streamed the first one for the first time and it was a couple of hundred of MB apparently. I'm on a 15GB a month plan, so don't really have the luxury of streaming things every time I want to view them.
If HBO is allowed to upload the cutscenes, you may see a Spartan Ops cutscene library at halo.bungie.org.

Not at all.

FFAs are all about the leader. If you're not the leader, you want to keep the leader from scoring and ending the game before you can overtake him. The problem is that most players are stupid and will actively work against this goal. It happens in other FFA games too, like Settlers of Catan. If everyone isn't actively keeping the leader down, the game becomes imbalanced and it's out of a single player's hands to stop the leader from running away with the victory.

Regicide puts a target over the leader's head so everyone knows where the priority is. You don't need to go after the leader, you still earn 10 points per kill on other players, but going after the leader (as you should be) rewards a larger amount, depending on how long he's gone untouched. The end result is a frenzied back and forth between the best players and closer matches, which didn't always happen in default FFAs.

Yea thats all nice but its completely based on spawn, you might be spawned hella far away from "leader", thus eliminating your chance just based on luck... Shouldn't be based on luck, should be who can kill the most simple as that. FFA has always worked theres absolutely no reason to change it.

Its not all about leader either thats simply not true. You don't think second place wants the leader to win if hes obviously not going to win but third place is a point behind him? No it would even be in his benefit to give up a easy kill to leader to end it as 2nd.

FFA is complex but Regicide adds nothing but imbalance.

Ramirez

Still loving the hell out of this game. We played KOTH, Oddball, & CTF all night, so good.

I believe Trueskill is actually working as well, plenty of losses & close games...

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Just some cool clips I uploaded from today. Thought you guys would get a kick out of them.

The first is something I tried and failed to do at the review event. I think Naded was the first one to do it. I finally got it today

Adrift Flag Cap

2nd one is just a funny Hologram Fake Out

Just finished Reclaimer, and it's the best goddamn mission in the game by a country mile.

The whole concept and setup is very unique to a Halo game. It was so refreshing.

But it's not just the concept that makes the level great – the quality of the encounters takes a significant leap. And there's a reason for that – their design is very much like Halo 3's. And this isn't more apparent than after
the player meets the Librarian and steps outside to the sprawling battle with the two tanks, the Warthog, and the mongoose with rockets. It was harkening back to the battle outside the Cartographer on The Ark. They even had Pete Stacker yelling, "Form up on the Chief! Second line clear, move forward!" Halo 4 was screaming "Halo 3!" at you by that point. Despite their similarity, the execution was different, so it still felt new.
They lend themselves to a huge portion of the Halo sandbox and give the player so many options. I can't wait to go back and tackle those encounters in different ways.

It's the only level in the game that didn't make me feel tired and is if the game were on auto pilot and just going through the motions. Despite the poor feedback system in the game, it was the first time in Halo 4 where I was feeling that moment-to-moment progression of past Halo games. I was feeling that "thirty seconds of fun" again. That flow was there again. And, again, that's probably because it was emulating Halo 3.

The level ramps up in unexpected and satisfying ways,
like taking down that new Covenant drop ship, and it had a fantastic atmospheric moment inside that Forerunner structure.

Some nitpicks:
1. Jumping out of the Covenant dropship would've been cooler if you didn't have any fall damage. Come on, 343. Get rid of it.
2. Inside the Forerunner structure, Cortana says something to the effect of, "Sentinels seem to be leading us somewhere." I don't think that line was necessary because it was pretty obvious to me, through the subtle use of the HUD and your reticule turning "green" when you placed it over the sentinel, that something different was up.
3. I am so confused by what was revealed between the Librarian and the Chief, but I was having so much fun with the level, I don't care at this point. I'll sort it out later.
4. Halo 4 has problems with distributing enough ammo to the player. It was bothering me when fighting upwards inside the Forerunner structure.
5. What would've made the "The Ark"-like portion even better was if there was some appropriate music to get your blood pumping. I was fooled for a second there in thinking that the Halo theme would come in. Of course that didn't happen, but there was no satisfying music in its place.

My perception of the quality of this level could be a bit skewed given that the past four levels haven't been...good, but if anything, this level has given me the push to see the game through to its completion. The setup for mission six looks damn interesting as well.

There's hope. :)

I echo your thoughts - I thought the first 4 missions where very dull and I was very dissapointed.

Mission 5 onwards where amazing though! You might enjoy the game more going forwards.

I completed it on heroic finding 4 of the terminals - but those classified terminal codes won't work for me - do I have to find all of the terminals/ complete the game on legendary? It just says 'pre-requisite not met'

So some kid wall glitched on Complex.

y9QYF.jpg

I have video of how he did it. Anyone know a good way to report the glitch to 343?

343 better fix shit fast, because the halo fanbase is gonna leave this game very very soon if they don't add playlists that play like old halo games.

rakka

i agree about the overall UI though it is a trainwreck to navigate and to look at.

343 have turned something that should be simple and straightforward into an utter mess. (they've made an amazing looking game though!)

and all caps everywhere! killfeed, gamertags, etc. someone on another forum said it best:

"It's already common knowledge that the human brain processes uppercase letters slower than it does lowercase letters (since the latter are vastly more common). The effect is far more noticeable when long spans of text are rendered in all caps, but there are still slowdowns when small spans of text are rendered in all caps.

(A specific case: I just noticed that they're using all-caps on the kill feed. Not a good idea. The kill feed is only useful if it's as quickly-readable as possible, since you need to keep your focus on the on-screen action, so any slowdown, no matter how minute, is bad. That they're doing it purely for stylistic reasons is even worse.)"

god damn 343 i'm trying to love halo 4 but please address these issues. (i haven't even mentioned the actual mp gameplay flaws)

343 better get fix shit, because the halo fanbase is gonna leave this game very very soon if they don't add playlists that play like old halo games.

its also just random shit everywhere like removing the team death marker, overpowered automatics, nerfed grenades, i could go on ...

343 better fix shit fast, because the halo fanbase is gonna leave this game very very soon if they don't add playlists that play like old halo games.

Lol I'm not going anywhere. I really enjoy this game. Team Slayer Pro is amazing. The gunplay is better than any Halo IMO. They just need to fix a couple things up, add action sack and swat/snipers, and I will be really happy. And when people stop voting for Haven every match... -_-

Nutter

I think most of the problems stem from actually getting owned in a Halo game.
I guess some people just cant take the fact that they were really not that good to begin with especially if they were coming off of Reach (like Antitype). Cant really say I will miss these people.

The gunplay in this game is amazing and reminiscent of Halo 2. I wish people would stop the bitching and actually get good at a game. Yes Black Ops will steal people.. the same people that break controllers because they cant kill their opponent in 1 shot and then blame the game because they suck.

sp3000

The high number of players isn't going to last long, but not for the game sucking. Three words: Black Ops 2.

The game does not deserve any players in the current state it is in. I guess this is what happens when you release a multiplayer game without a beta before.

It doesn't help that for all their technological effects they still haven't updated the networking model of the game since Bungie developed the original. It's atrocious that a peer to peer system is still being used. And just because COD is doing it doesn't make it right.

I don't buy that at all.

EDIT:
And I can confirm that an 11.5 oz bag of Doritos awards 12 games of double exp. Went to walmart on my lunch break (at 1am lol) and bought two bags for 3 bucks each. 24 games. Best deal for the money if anyone is trying to be as efficient as possible.

DopeyFish

I guess some people just cant take the fact that they were really not that good to begin with especially if they were coming off of Reach (like Antitype). Cant really say I will miss these people.

You know me. I will call bad design when I see it.

Tashi

The gunplay in this game is amazing and reminiscent of Halo 2. I wish people would stop the bitching and actually get good at a game. Yes Black Ops will steal people.. the same people that break controllers because they cant kill their opponent in 1 shot and then blame the game because they suck.

I love you

Also, Kevin Franklin is about to hop on the Walshy stream and answer some questions. Pretty unheard of. Real cool guy...

http://www.twitch.tv/walshy

This is so true. I've been playing with my friends, and they are all getting mad when we lose saying "god this game sucks" or "WTF MAN I TOTALLY KILLED HIM". We'll win about 5 or so games, lose 1, and they all wanna quit. People are better sometimes and you just have to accept that.

The thing I love about Halo is that it's so consistent. In gears... I swear I shoot people from 1" away with the shotty and it does nothing. CoD I have no idea wtf is going on in that mess of killstreaks and nube tubes. But Halo... Halo is consistent. If some kid gets a 5sk on me... okay yea he did, because that's how the game works, and I probably missed a couple shots. You always know what has to happen for you to die, such as 4 body shots and a headshot, or whatever. People don't understand this. Halo 4 has been nothing but enjoyable so far, even in the losses. Everyone is on an even field. If you die, you die because you probably got outplayed.

I don't really like ordinance, though. Too many power weapons. :/ Slayer Pro is awesome. Slap a radar on it and call it MLG and I shall love you.

TheOddOne

The game does not deserve any players in the current state it is in. I guess this is what happens when you release a multiplayer game without a beta before.

It doesn't help that for all their technological effects they still haven't updated the networking model of the game since Bungie developed the original. It's atrocious that a peer to peer system is still being used. And just because COD is doing it doesn't make it right.
That is garbage reasoning. COD has a dedicated fanbase, much like Halo.

Redford

aka Cabbie
So KoTH has sometimes instant spawn, sometimes not, sometimes killcam, sometimes not?

Bulletproof Emblem:

Some xtra codes

Thanks! Grabbed the first one.

It really really is.

Im doing pretty good for my first handful of games.

Just some glaring issues need fixed.

Also yes Black Ops 2 is gunna steal mad people. The game just looks awesome.

DopeyFish

Yes there are some bad design choices, but gunplay+melee+grenades are not part of it.

Not part of design or bad design choices?

All 3 fall under design, and grenades are questionable(spread and strength), melee is definitely fucked. -Both combatants dying, assassination taps rarely work- assassination animation is especially a clear case as bad design from its conception

Tashi

Wow Kevin Franklin blowing minds right now.

Weapon despawns in 12 seconds. However, despawn timer is stopped by proximity and line of sight. (within a certain distance)

rakka

This is so true. I've been playing with my friends, and they are all getting mad when we lose saying "god this game sucks" or "WTF MAN I TOTALLY KILLED HIM". We'll win about 5 or so games, lose 1, and they all wanna quit. People are better sometimes and you just have to accept that.

yeah, right. automatics are meant to be easy to use. now they're also damn powerful. halo 4 caters too much to noobs. armed with a couple grenades my primary and secondary and melee, I could take on three less skilled players easily in previous games. now, almost no fucking chance. my grenades hardly do any damage, melee is fucked and the noobs with their ARs don't even have to aim to kill me. to the other dude, to say players like me were never good at halo is fucking ridiculous.

TheOddOne

Wow Kevin Franklin blowing minds right now.

Weapon despawns in 12 seconds. However, despawn timer is stopped by proximity and line of sight. (within a certain distance)
Yeah, too bad about the audio quality though.

Unrelated: people seem to be posting V G charts sales of Halo 4 on twitter, 3.1 million opening day and by the end of the week 4 million estimated. V G Charts is bad as a source though.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
However, despawn timer is stopped by proximity and line of sight.

Bullshit.

So many times I have weapons despawn as I am running up to grab them.

And 12 seconds? What a joke... I guess it's because there are so many weapons thanks to retarded weapon drop system.

Tashi

That uh...makes not much sense.

You die and drop your weapon. As soon as you die, a 12 second timer starts. If you're within a certain distance of the weapon, the timer pauses. If you're within a larger distance of the weapon and are looking at it, the timer pauses.

Wow Kevin Franklin you are one of my favorite devs now.
What a cool guy, casually answering some fan questions at 1am.

That uh...makes not much sense.
They want to keep new weapons coming in, while keeping the total number of weapons down.

Adding new weapons changes the flow of the map and rewards players.
It isn't really a bad thing.

Nutter

Not part of design or bad design choices?

All 3 fall under design, and grenades are questionable(spread and strength), melee is definitely fucked. -Both combatants dying, assassination taps rarely work- assassination animation is especially a clear case as bad design from its conception

What are you even talking about? I do not think you understood what I said.

I for one love the grenades.. no more mini nukes. I love the smaller lunge on Melee. The both combatants dying rarely happens to me, and even then its been in Halo for YEARS. It is not something that all of sudden has caused the game to break. Also Halo will NEVER open to a 3.1 million first day sales. Not even COD opens with that. Perhaps in a week or so this could happen.

Tashi

What are you even talking about? I do not think you understood what I said.

I for one love the grenades.. no more mini nukes. I love the smaller lunge on Melee. The both combatants dying rarely happens to me, and even then its been in Halo for YEARS. It is not something that all of sudden has caused the game to break.

Wow, didn't really hit me but simultaneous gun deaths are down soooooooo much. As are melee trades. The core running, jumping, shooting and other super basic stuff is really fantastic. Base run speed doesn't feel too slow. Jump height is good but not floaty like Halo 3. It's crisp.

Havok

Good games with Barrow and Zeouterlimits, too bad the lag started to creep in.

A 12 second despawn timer? That's ridiculous. Take that in the context of Ragnarok being in a 5v5 playlist. You would just be spawning, and your weapon would be gone before you could even start the 15 second run to your body and you have almost no recourse other than to tell someone else, who is likely in one of the thousand vehicles on the map, to pick it up. Patch it, it's awful on 90% of the maps in the game. I think I've made maybe two successful corpse runs in the last 60 games. If they want they can keep it on something like Haven, that makes sense, but to have that across the board is crazy.

I know it makes me look like an old man yelling at clouds, but this was not a problem that needed to be fixed, just like normal-ass weapon spawn systems. Global ordnance is something that I thought I'd get used to, but it just ain't happening.

Couple questions about the playlist update:
-Can we assume that updates with continue to be Tuesday mornings (Pacific time)?
-Is SWAT considered permanent or rotating?

Ken

You die and drop your weapon. As soon as you die, a 12 second timer starts. If you're within a certain distance of the weapon, the timer pauses. If you're within a larger distance of the weapon and are looking at it, the timer pauses.

I get that part but it seems like a very strange system. Oh you died with the rocket launcher. Good thing no enemies are around oh wait your teammate was accidentally LOSing it without knowing it and now the enemy picked it up because your teammate unknowingly paused the despawn timer on it and has now given the enemy another power weapon. So many systems now seem to be geared towards chance and being lucky.

They want to keep new weapons coming in, while keeping the total number of weapons down.

Adding new weapons changes the flow of the map and rewards players.
It isn't really a bad thing.

Except the method for adding in new weapons to the map is terrible.

So what do your guys' load outs look like?

I am really loving the boltshot.
None of my buddies are using it much, but I can't imagine making a load out without it.

Also, thruster pack. I can't justify using any other ability.

DMR/Light Rifle, Boltshot, Thruster, Dexterity, AA efficiency.
Profit.

TheOddOne

Good games with Barrow and Zeouterlimits, too bad the lag started to creep in.

A 12 second despawn timer? That's ridiculous. Take that in the context of Ragnarok being in a 5v5 playlist. You would just be spawning, and your weapon would be gone before you could even start the 15 second run to your body and you have almost no recourse other than to tell someone else, who is likely in one of the thousand vehicles on the map, to pick it up. Patch it, it's awful on 90% of the maps in the game. I think I've made maybe two successful corpse runs in the last 60 games. If they want they can keep it on something like Haven, that makes sense, but to have that across the board is crazy.
Was just going to say this too, on smaller maps it makes more sense but on huge maps that limitation should not even be a factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom