• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT13|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Striker

Are any of the upcoming maps arena style? Or more more dynamic maps with " nooks and crannies?"

Honestly,I feel bad for anyone who had pay for crimson. Makes me miss snowbound and isolation.
I don't think their layouts are quite that bad. Shatter I think is probably the best BTB map as of this moment. Is it really saying much? No, not really. Harvest is OK, spawns are pretty fucked per usual in a Halo game (Solace is Narrows 2.0 in this regard). Wreckage benefits the red team in 2 flag, and Oddball simply does not work on there - big shock huh. Haven't tried Extraction yet but I'm not expecting much. I did play it on Shatter, and while it's ok, simply not worth having things like Assault, Plots, and 1-flag/bomb removed for. The gametypes overall stink, as I expected.

I don't think their layouts are quite that bad. Shatter I think is probably the best BTB map as of this moment. Is it really saying much? No, not really. Harvest is OK, spawns are pretty fucked per usual in a Halo game (Solace is Narrows 2.0 in this regard). Wreckage benefits the red team in 2 flag, and Oddball simply does not work on there - big shock huh. Haven't tried Extraction yet but I'm not expecting much. I did play it on Shatter, and while it's ok, simply not worth having things like Assault, Plots, and 1-flag/bomb removed for. The gametypes overall stink, as I expected.

I like Harvest a lot for the 'new' CTF, the vehicles also tend to last a lot longer on that map. Probably my favorite map in 4, considering that all I like to play is objective.

Shatter, I wasn't really feeling it on launch day, but yesterday I got used to the layout, and again had great fun on CTF. The mantis doesn't stall gameplay on that map like it does on Ragnarok.

Wrekage, not sure, I don't dislike it though, like you said, the map seems far more enjoyable if your on red team.

Neutral bomb on Shatter and Harvest would have been damn good.

Omni

Battlefield 3 and all the DLC+updates on my Xbox HDD? 26 mother fucking gigabytes.

I hope to god that Halo never gets like that. That's like two months of internet allowance for me

Crimson, Eggheads need you to push all the buttons in the area. There are hostile Hingeheads in the area, Crimson. Took them out, Crimson? Good. Now proceed to the other side of the hall you've been to several times before and push that button, Crimson. Good job. There are still some buttons in the area. Painting them for you now. Push those buttons, Crimson.

Suck. I was on Longbow having the one of the best BTB games i've had in a while. Was up to like 27 kills and was just about to pickup a sniper rifle. Host migration or some lame crap and it kicks me out to the searching for party screen. Game is not in my file history, nada. And this after suffering through a couple of BTB games on Ragnarok that were just massive camp fests by the other team. I hate Ragnarok. Such a horrible map with all the AA's, personal ordnance, and vehicles.

EDIT:
Nevermind, it just showed up. Still lame that it has everyone as did not finish...

Omni

Galileo Base has only been attacked 4 times! I'm sure it won't happen again so I'll just turn off the defences and let the marines go home!

Finally saw the effect of the Operator spec tonight. Holy crap - the Ghost doesn't even have time to touch the ground after an EMP before it's ready to boost and fire again. Warthogs don't even lose all their momentum before starting to accelerate. It's ridiculous, and makes the combination of it and loadout Plasma Pistols coexisting in the game as if one apologizes for the other feel kinda gross.
Yep, the game is going to play a lot differently now that the Specializations are becoming more and more popular. It's another artificial layer that didn't even need to be in the game. How the fuck am I supposed to learn and counter what Spec someone has when there's no physical way to tell what it is? The player cards are completely useless in this regard, an area that I had initially thought would be ripe with information. Now we're going to have vehicles that can barely be stalled, turrets that can fire longer before overheating, people camping weapon drops (which 343 loudly proclaimed that their Ordnance system would end) because they can see them coming before others, cloaked assholes that can't be heard and barely seen with PV, anti-flinch mod (which is actually a good thing), etc. It's like all these Specs counter the system that 343 created to begin with, which begs the question: WHY THE FUCK DID YOU CREATE THE SYSTEM IN THE FIRST PLACE?? It's false depth and unnecessary layers like this that drive me to shut this game off long before I normally would have in the past. I'm having little to no fun replaying the campaign on Legendary (even though somehow it's easier than Heroic), Spartan Ops has so many needed features missing from it that I'm actually a little embarrassed at how much I've already played it (dat XP), and multiplayer is very hit-or-miss with me, even with playlists that I like. Frustrated squid is frustrated.

There are those that said this day would never come, Halo finally properly adds DLC to matchmaking like every of AAA MP game has been doing for the past 5 years
Praise da lawd, this is actually good news. Was not happy with the DLC hopper at all.

Wreckage is a horrible, horrible experience.
Shatter is okay, Extraction is disappointing.
Never got to play Harvest, but it's waaaay smaller than I thought it was. I'll be trying it out in the CTF hopper soon.

Killer

Banned
I'm having fun reading waypoint forums:

Best Halo yet

here's my 'tweak' wishlist

Make inviso camo a standard spartan feature - that way we can all be invisible and take extra loadout items as well!!!!

Promethean vision!!! Awesome, all we need now is a gun to fire through walls when using it - the ultimate competitive aid!

Buff the DMR please, it's way underpowered, could we say make it as powerful as the assualt riffle?

Also - we need some larger maps please 343 _ im sick of only running a few miles before a camping invisible sniper shoots me.

We really need a quicker respawn - how about swapping respawns? First respawn on top of the enermys head second on their lap.

Anyway well done 343 - best Halo to date.

Bob, PM me your address I'll send you a copy of The Patriot I own to make up for it.

Lol!

I doubt that it would work on my British tv :(

But really - it totally sucks for me that I have friends who can't trial the maps - would be sweet to get games in with them.

willow ve

Actually, there a gun in TimeSplitters that could shoot through walls. Man I loved TimeSplitters MP (better than Halo at the time imo..).

Wasn't there a Perfect Dark gun (first game) that could shoot through walls?

Yeah, I've read some good threads with excellent point regarding the game's state.

I wish they read their own forums.

I heard they tried and gave up when all of the errors on Waypoint proved to be too frustrating to handle...

Sofa King

Microsoft should just bite the bullet and do something bold with this map pack fiasco.

Make an announcement that all map packs in Halo 4 will be released at no charge. Promote the shit out of it and announce that season pass purchasers will be given a credit of 2000 points.

This would generate a ton of sales of the game (Gamestop would push this like crazy) and the bigger the user base is for H4, you know that will help out with sales of H5 and also the 720 or whatever it is called.

How many 60 dollar games do you need to sell to make up for 10 dollar map packs that wouldn't be sold? From what I remember, Reach's DLC wasn't that hot of a seller.

Microsoft should just bite the bullet and do something bold with this map pack fiasco.

Make an announcement that all map packs in Halo 4 will be released at no charge. Promote the shit out of it and announce that season pass purchasers will be given a credit of 2000 points.

This would generate a ton of sales of the game (Gamestop would push this like crazy) and the bigger the user base is for H4, you know that will help out with sales of H5 and also the 720 or whatever it is called.

How many 60 dollar games do you need to sell to make up for 10 dollar map packs that wouldn't be sold? From what I remember, Reach's DLC wasn't that hot of a seller.

I can't see many Limited Edition owners being happy with that.

Killer

Banned
Actually, there a gun in TimeSplitters that could shoot through walls. Man I loved TimeSplitters MP (better than Halo at the time imo..).

TimeSplitters games were great especially if you liked GE/PD.

This got me thinking, what the fuck is MS doing with Perfect Dark ?! It's a fucking CRIME to abandon that. including the rest of Rare's ips.

Yep, the game is going to play a lot differently now that the Specializations are becoming more and more popular. It's another artificial layer that didn't even need to be in the game. How the fuck am I supposed to learn and counter what Spec someone has when there's no physical way to tell what it is? The player cards are completely useless in this regard, an area that I had initially thought would be ripe with information. Now we're going to have vehicles that can barely be stalled, turrets that can fire longer before overheating, people camping weapon drops (which 343 loudly proclaimed that their Ordnance system would end) because they can see them coming before others, cloaked assholes that can't be heard and barely seen with PV, anti-flinch mod (which is actually a good thing), etc. It's like all these Specs counter the system that 343 created to begin with, which begs the question: WHY THE FUCK DID YOU CREATE THE SYSTEM IN THE FIRST PLACE?? It's false depth and unnecessary layers like this that drive me to shut this game off long before I normally would have in the past. I'm having little to no fun replaying the campaign on Legendary (even though somehow it's easier than Heroic), Spartan Ops has so many needed features missing from it that I'm actually a little embarrassed at how much I've already played it (dat XP), and multiplayer is very hit-or-miss with me, even with playlists that I like. Frustrated squid is frustrated.
I stopped using the stability mod. I was not noticing a major improvement and find the explosives upgrade to be more important in BTB (mainly for increased sticky grenade damage to vehicles and less when I'm in one). I don't use vehicles all the time, but I typically have invis/wheelman/explosives as my abilities with DMR/Boltshot/Sticky Grenades. Right now I'm going through the Tracker specialization (purple visor is sexy and I'm using the emblem with the planet and stars). I've used Ordnance Priority, but am more interested in trying the Ordnance Recall ability just to see how useful it is in games. My order for specializations so far: Operator > Rogue > Tracker. That's not the order of my favorite specailizations, but just the order that i've personally gone through them. Next will probably be Wetworks. I've been resisting that one because it's what most people did first.

Tawpgun

TimeSplitters games were great especially if you liked GE/PD.

This got me thinking, what the fuck is MS doing with Perfect Dark ?! It's a fucking CRIME to abandon that. including the rest of Rare's ips.

Do we drink to this also?

Also, enlisted in Engineer last night. Gotta get that Drop Recon mod. Global Ordnance no problems anymore.

willow ve

Not sure if posted yet - From the mouth of BS Angel - http://blogs.halowaypoint.com/post/2012/12/11/14-Day-Buy-and-Play.aspx#comment
Many of you participated in our “14 Day - Buy and Play” program, a special offer that granted early access to six Specializations. As part of that program, we are providing complimentary access to the Crimson Map Pack for a limited time (through Tuesday, December 18 at 9am UTC/GMT). At that time, the complimentary limited access to the Crimson Map Pack will close, and “14 Day - Buy and Play” program participants will no longer be able to access the content for online play (please note anybody who has already purchased the Crimson Map Pack or owns the Halo 4 Map Pass or Limited Edition will not be impacted and will continue to have access to the content after the complimentary access period ends).

If you enjoy the new maps and would like to continue playing on them after that date, the Crimson Map Pack can be purchased through the Xbox LIVE Marketplace for 800 MS Points, or via purchase of the War Games Map Pass. We hope you’re enjoying the special Crimson Map Pack preview, and we’ll see you on the (new!) virtual battlefields.

So they found a way to disable the maps for those people that purchased them for 0 MS Points? December 18 at 9am UTC/GMT is going to be a very fun day to be observing the Waypoint forums.

They also locked the comments on that blog post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom