• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT13|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadders

I think they should retcon Spartan Op's, also quickpatch the Spartan IV's in campaign with regular marines. Remove Palmer entirely, she's a joke.

I don't think it needs to be removed from canon, it's possible for them to just become more Spartan-like in the future and we can all forget this ugly opening season. Hopefully they'll use this break to re-record some of the dialogue and make them less detestable.

It's hard to imagine any group of professional creatives ever looked at this collection of characters and thought they would be likeable. Which leads me to think (hope) that they might all end up getting killed off anyway.

I think it's odd there's nothing from McFarlane of the SpOps characters. Hopefully that's another indication that they're not going to be around too long.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Halo 4 is dudebro

The symbolic grace the series held has essentially been picked up and launched into the horizon.
Uh, no. I don't even understand how you can back this up outside of "it has a nuke in it." Or I don't think you understand what dudebro is or what it means.

The campaign itself was right in line with the others and a logical evolution. It carried the same themes, mystery, minimalism and charm, too.

Conor 419

Banned
Uh, no. I don't even understand how you can back this up outside of "it has a nuke in it." Or I don't think you understand what dudebro is or what it means.

The campaign itself was right in line with the others and a logical evolution. It carried the same themes, mystery, minimalism and charm, too.

You're right, I don't know or understand what dudebro is.

(Someone avatar quote me please)

same here.

those that are saying its our connections: I play both reach and 4 every day and I've had more issues with lag in 4 by far.

not unexpected though, i mean skill matching is a higher priority apparently.

hopefully connection priority will be added soon. hard to enjoy a game no matter how even skill levels of players in a match are when it's lagging.
Absolutely agree. I was having much more stable, reliable games in Team Objective Reach last night than any Halo 4 playlist (fuck, it just kicked us out of searching numerous times), and we were going with the most popular ones. I tried to play SWAT by myself and it straight-up dropped me from a match and threw me into another one that was all red bar, guys killing me before they were even on my screen.

Reach is the real Halo 4. Halo 4's performance is unacceptable.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Absolutely agree. I was having much more stable, reliable games in Team Objective Reach last night than any Halo 4 playlist (fuck, it just kicked us out of searching numerous times), and we were going with the most popular ones. I tried to play SWAT by myself and it straight-up dropped me from a match and threw me into another one that was all red bar, guys killing me before they were even on my screen.

Reach is the real Halo 4. Halo 4's performance is unacceptable.

Probably Truskill to blame here. Once you've hit a point where you're getting ranked with people at your level in other countries it's gonna take a hit. Especially if skill is weighted very heavy in comparison to connection, but I'm sure you already figured all of this.

I don't necessarily agree that characters in anything need to be likable in order to be good characters. As long as their character has depth and reasons for their behaviour that make sense, that's what matters in a good character.

Having said that, my thoughts on Palmer are a mixed bunch. You could have told me the whole egghead thing was a ruse of sorts. A means to engage with the pompous Spartans she's been put in charge of her. That idea of a ruse falls apart when that decorum remains as she engages with other characters.

At least that other Spartan has had some exploration of his past. From what I recall, where he lived and his reasons for joining the program have been brought up and his dialogue with Halsey was insightful to both characters motives and opinions.

The focus of the series seems to be shifting towards those characters but I do hope we can get some meaningful depth from Palmer.

Tawpgun

At least that other Spartan has had some exploration of his past. From what I recall, where he lived and his reasons for joining the program have been brought up and his dialogue with Halsey was insightful to both characters motives and opinions.
That was bullshit too though. He said he had barely a year in service or something.

New Pheonix gets attacked.

"oh well I guess ill just become a spartan now"

I didn't know it'd be so casual.

A lot of the Spartans have really dumb personalities. The dude that went beserk mode with the shotgun. That was fucking stupid. Seems like stereotypical "dudebro" marines and not an elite special forces.

So what's everyone's take on this game? Love it? Hate it? Not sure yet? Personally I love it. I hear people saying its not halo. That's BS. So you want the same halo over and over then play reach or halo 3.

Seriously I love the ordinance drops. Don't see the problem. Seems like some people are whining because they can't own like they use to in other games.

My problem is not with the core gameplay but with the organization and handling of the playlists. I don't know what it is but something just seems off. I love the new gametypes but add some more classic gametypes as well. Or mix it up. How about multi team regicide. WIN. Also I'm not feeling the whole take out this playlist for another strategy. Just give us everything dammit. Lol now I'm complaining.

Karl2177

That was bullshit too though. He said he had barely a year in service or something.

New Pheonix gets attacked.

"oh well I guess ill just become a spartan now"

I didn't know it'd be so casual.
That's probably just a lack of exposition. I doubt he just enlisted into the Spartans without any prior service. But I do agree that it seems fairly lax to become a Spartan.

I love it, it shits all over Reach and I enjoy it more than 3.

Also guys, the modders already have all gametypes with sprint and instant respawn disabled, you might be already aware of this. Peace.

So what's everyone's take on this game? Love it? Hate it? Not sure yet? Personally I love it. I hear people saying its not halo. That's BS. So you want the same halo over and over then play reach or halo 3.

Seriously I love the ordinance drops. Don't see the problem. Seems like some people are whining because they can't own like they use to in other games.

My problem is not with the core gameplay but with the organization and handling of the playlists. I don't know what it is but something just seems off. I love the new gametypes but add some more classic gametypes as well. Or mix it up. How about multi team regicide. WIN. Also I'm not feeling the whole take out this playlist for another strategy. Just give us everything dammit. Lol now I'm complaining.

I hear people saying its halo. Thats BS. So you dont want to play the same Halo over and over? Then copy features from other games.

I hate to do stuff like that, but people who think others only complain because they dislike change really get on my nerves. Its a lazy argument.

kornman says
  1. That probably won't happen
  2. If it does happen, they'll probably put up an alternative

I had to watch a 30-second Barbie commercial to see that 37-second clip.

His alternative seems to be to use custom edition? I was never as much of a fan of that and instead relied on the retail edition. Custom Edition was pretty much garunteed to be full of modded servers - some of them where great for sure, but its a lot harder to get a 'vanilla' game going there. I also doubt everyone would move across. :( Switching off the servers would knock Halo 1 PC for sure.

Tawpgun

A lot of us here don't like it, not because we're necessarily purists, but the game is moving away from what we regard as core Halo principles.

Many of the people complaining are those who do "own" And its because the game breaks down at a higher level of play. There's a game going around. Infinity Slayer on adrift with 2 competitive, "pro" teams. The game was 0-0 until the last 2 minutes when it ended 8-7.

By ordnance drops, im not sure if you're referring to the global system, the personal system, or both.

Personal ordnance is a lot of fun, but it clouds the battlefield and introduces randomness since every time you get ordnance is a dice roll. You might get frags, speed boost, and needler. The other team might get Damage Boost, Rockets, Scattershot or something.

Global Ordnance is even more of a dice roll. You know a new weapon drops every 2 minutes, but it could be anything from a needler to a binary rifle. To make matters worse, it can spawn in a random spot on the map so someone may be lucky to be near its spawn point. Its just messy.

Then add in the entire perk system + some really powerful AA's and you removed the core halo principle of starting on even ground. Luck is playing more of a role in Halo since Reach.

Probably Truskill to blame here. Once you've hit a point where you're getting ranked with people at your level in other countries it's gonna take a hit. Especially if skill is weighted very heavy in comparison to connection, but I'm sure you already figured all of this.
Yeah, that's my conjecture as well, and if that's the case, it shows how much matchmaking parameters can affect the end-user experience. I much preferred Reach's approach because I care more about network performance than skill matching (I realize I am biased because of my skill ranking, but still). My experience in Halo 4 has been poor.

It doesn't have Invasion.

tumblr_m2oto7SGwf1qzv4vio1_400.gif

and yeah is a tumblr gif because fuck you lol

Tawpgun

Nerfing the boltshot range would be helpful, any nerf at this point.

But I think you need to make it a shield strip only. This is a very reasonable request. I'm basically agreeing to have everyone start with maulers.

A quick question that's been bothering me for a few weeks now: Is there any significance to the bingo-board next to the daily, weekly, and monthly challenges? The daily challenge has the center-spot filled, the weekly has one row filled, and the monthly has the entire board filled.

It seems so odd and out of place if there's no meaning attached to it.

Before Call of Duty came into the picture, Halo was always considered the frat-boy game. I find it humorous how its fans are so quick to label other games as "dudebro" (as a derogative) when Halo fans are the original "dudebro" gamers.

A quick question that's been bothering me for a few weeks now: Is there any significance to the bingo-board next to the daily, weekly, and monthly challenges? The daily challenge has the center-spot filled, the weekly has one row filled, and the monthly has the entire board filled.

Maybe because daily challenge takes only 1 day, so it takes up one spot on the Calendar.
Weekly challenges take a week, so a week is filled.
A monthly challenge takes a month, so the whole thing is filled.

Tawpgun

WorldCalendar.png

I think its just a visual icon.

The daily challenge has the center-spot filled - to indicate one day on a calendar.
The weekly has one row filled - to indicate one week on a calendar
The monthly has the entire board filled - to indicate one month on a calendar.

It's like a calendar. One spot is a day, the row is a week, the board is a month. Just a UI graphic.

FyreWulff

That's probably just a lack of exposition. I doubt he just enlisted into the Spartans without any prior service. But I do agree that it seems fairly lax to become a Spartan.

I thought that was the whole point now. Spartans can be mass produced. Hence Chief being viewed as overly expensive and obsolete, they can make 50 spartan 4s for every spartan 2, etc.

Before Call of Duty came into the picture, Halo was always considered the frat-boy game. I find it humorous how its fans are so quick to label other games as "dudebro" (as a derogative) when Halo fans are the original "dudebro" gamers.

I don't think Halo was the original dudebro game.

Louis Wu

Dominion it's a nonsense piece of shit, Invasion was better.

Completely OT but I just convinced my 56 years old dad to post one of his motorbike vids, he actually captures and edit them himself so it'd be nice if you guys gave the vid some views, he´ll really appreciate it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCaUg1ceues

He likes Timbaland.
Looks like fun.

I almost closed the vid before the actual headcam footage started - I was nearly a minute in, and all I'd seen were static shots. I'd suggest he kick it up to high gear a little faster; the internet has a pretty short attention span. :)

I thought that was the whole point now. Spartans can be mass produced. Hence Chief being viewed as overly expensive and obsolete, they can make 50 spartan 4s for every spartan 2, etc.

That was definitely the natural progression from IIs to IIIs. I would assume the same curve would apply from IIIs to IVs. Though we have yet to really get any in depth characterization of the IV through the expanded fiction.

Looks like fun.

I almost closed the vid before the actual headcam footage started - I was nearly a minute in, and all I'd seen were static shots. I'd suggest he kick it up to high gear a little faster; the internet has a pretty short attention span. :)

lol true, I'll give him a heads up.

I love it, it shits all over Reach and I enjoy it more than 3.

Also guys, the modders already have all gametypes with sprint and instant respawn disabled, you might be already aware of this. Peace.

So the game has been hacked? Wonderful. Any other "good" news?

By the way I love ordinance drops although I can see how people would be upset about global drops. I love instant respawns. I love the perks and other packages. Love sprint. Love the new gametypes. This game helped me forget about the shitty reach in terms of visuals and gameplay.

All I ask is that you add in some classic playlists like multi team and although the maps are gorgeous some look too similar. Need a bit more variety. I mean even one of the new maps reminds me of vortex. Where is my true snow map? Where is my sand map with my mammoth? Other than these things overall the game takes a dinosaur dump on reach.

JHall

So the game has been hacked? Wonderful. Any other "good" news?

By the way I love ordinance drops although I can see how people would be upset about global drops. I love instant respawns. I love the perks and other packages. Love sprint. Love the new gametypes. This game helped me forget about the shitty reach in terms of visuals and gameplay.

All I ask is that you add in some classic playlists like multi team and although the maps are gorgeous some look too similar. Need a bit more variety. I mean even one of the new maps reminds me of vortex. Where is my true snow map? Where is my sand map with my mammoth? Other than these things overall the game takes a dinosaur dump on reach.

AndHereWeGo.gif

Tawpgun

That was definitely the natural progression from IIs to IIIs. I would assume the same curve would apply from IIIs to IVs. Though we have yet to really get any in depth characterization of the IV through the expanded fiction.

III's were a lot more morally unethical.

II's were genetically superior abducted children trained to be the best of the best. But their lives mattered. When you lost a Spartan II it was a devastating blow.

III's were orphans taken, trained, given inferior armor, and basically sent on suicide mission while they were in their teens. The entire reason they were produced was because it was a lot cheaper than II's and they were a fire and forget force. Noble Team was different than the rest of the III's.

IV's seem like the next level of ODST's. But hell, even ODST's felt more mature than Spartan IVs

DeadNames

Banned
Does anyone wanna PM me the GT of the guy with the no sprint, no instaspawn gametype?

Also, I might have some more specialization codes for those who need them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom