• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

DeadNames

Banned
New maps are cool but man plasma pistol/nade loadouts really hurt it. Its like freaking explosions and plasma everywhere.

The OP AR and the annoying grenades are a big contributor too. But then you factor in IS, the worst thing to happen to this game.

I didn't see anybody attempt to EMP you, that's what I meant by knowing what to do, instead of mindlessly running towards you and shooting anyone could've easily fired an EMP from a good distance and hit you since you were stationary for a little bit, that's not counting the lock-on. One of the guys at the turret placement had nearly 7-8 seconds before you shot him after he had respawned, that's way more than enough time to EMP you, kill your gunner, and proceed to keep EMP'ing you until he got into boarding distance or they could've just kept shooting you. Then you wouldn't have been suppressing them so heavily and you wouldn't have gotten such a huge lead.

Much like the Gauss Hog, EMP'ing the tank is only truly useful within a certain range. Otherwise, you're wasting time you could be using to damage the vehicle.

Ghazi

Much like the Gauss Hog, EMP'ing the tank is only truly useful within a certain range. Otherwise, you're wasting time you could be using to damage the vehicle.

I'll give you that, the only thing really stopping the EMP from basically being a guaranteed kill at close range is the gunners seat. Same with the Gauss Hog, but that thing's so OP that you're really helping the gunner aim easier while trading off the fact that it's harder to hit him while they're moving.

I'll give you that, the only thing really stopping the EMP from basically being a guaranteed kill at close range is the gunners seat. Same with the Gauss Hog, but that thing's so OP that you're really helping the gunner aim easier while trading off the fact that it's harder to hit him while they're moving.

And the cherry on top of it all? BOTH vehicles (and the still overpowered banshee) are available on the same map!

0vDzT.gif

Alright, what about this.

Loadout Weapons:
Battle Rifle - 4-shot kill.
Magnum - Halo 4 version.
Carbine - 6-shot kill or so.
Light Rifle - Scoped-in aim assist range reduced to that of the BR and Carbine.
Assault Rifle - Halo 4 Variant
Plasma Rifle - CE Variant
Oscillator - Default fire is basically a Promethean Spiker with slower projectiles, good against shields. Alt-fire (tap the scope button) switches it to a Sentinel Beam-style weapon, which is effective against health. Switching between firing modes is essential to getting a fast kill.

Precision weapons are balanced to have equal ranges.
BR is a 4 shot kill, Carbine is 6, Light Rifle is 4-5. At their "perfect" uses, they have equivalent kill times save for the Magnum. Skill curves are obviously different but ultimately boil down to personal preference. Likewise with the automatics.

Grenades
Frag - Halo 4 version
Pulse - Halo 4 version, but being caught in it also drains your AA meter. If you don't have an AA or it's recharging, the grenade's power is doubled. Alt-fire (by holding down the left trigger until the grenade goes off) will induce heavy horizontal and vertical slowdown to anyone caught in the radius, essentially making it a "stasis grenade."
Plasma - Detonation time is between the Halo 1 and 2 versions.
Phase - Promethean firebomb grenade that has "hardlight bees" attack the target. When their shields dissipate, the grenade goes quiet for a second but then explodes just like a Pulse Grenade fizzing out and vaporizes the victim. Alt-fire (see Pulse) makes it a Promethean Spike Grenade.

You can spawn with 2 frags, 2 pulses, or 1 of both. Phase and Plasma grenades are on-map pickups.

Initial Ordnance:

Plasma Pistol - Reach Beta variant

Shotgun - Halo 4 variant

Combiner - Needler shotgun; higher spread and less range, but has ridiculous tracking power designed to take care of people fleeing around corners, etc.

Needler - Halo 4 variant

Phase Rifle - Halo CE pistol and the Beam Rifle had a baby; 4-shot kill and runs on a battery meaning shots require perfect timing for a speedy 4-shot, but pulling it off nets you a kill just slower than the Beam Rifle. "Power Saver" altmode while scoped in: 5-shot kill, but shots and overheats take up less battery.

Mid-tier Ordnance:

Gravity Gauntlet - Essentially a more controllable Jetpack replacement. Basically a Grapple Beam you can pick up weapons/grenades with as well as force choke people.

Grenade Launcher - Standard grenade works like the Sticky Detonator. Alt-fire (hold the trigger) gives you a Reach Grenade Launcher round, EMP effect and all.

Railgun - Slight buff either to reload speed or blast radius.

Huntshot - 6-round clip, Mountain Dew Launcher. Default fire works just like the Halo 2 Brute Shot, just with a fizzly green projectile. Charging a round shoots a Halo Reach/4-era Fuel Rod Cannon round with a slightly increased round speed, but with a more prominent arc, as well. Charged shot takes up two or three (unsure yet) rounds in the clip.

Global Ordnance:

Energy Sword

Hardlight Halberd - Gravity Hammer replacement. Standard melees are about equivalent to a lungeless Sword, but charging up the staff lets you loose a Gravity Hammer blast.

Sniper Rifle - Pretty much the same save for a laser sight. Not a beam like the Binary Rifle; it just projects a green dot on whatever you're aiming at.

Beam Rifle - Unchanged except for an added purple laser sight.

Rocket Launcher - Unchanged.

Nova Cannon - Promethean Potato Cannon. Incineration Cannon and the Plasma Launcher had a baby, save for a two-round clip instead of 4. Once a projectile is stuck to the target, it takes 5 seconds to detonate. Detonation on a grounded target causes an Incineration Cannon blast, maybe with slightly reduced damage on the secondary blasts. Detonation on an airborne target or vehicle causes a slightly larger primary explosion and sends mini-explosions in all directions, designed explicitly to be anti-air. Max number of shots is 4-6.

At this point the only thing I'm still toying with is the loadout weapons.

the fuck you talking about

THE OSCILLATORS, MASON

zap

Hey guys, do you know if the maps are tied to your Xbox, HD, or just profile?

I'm about to head to an old fashion LAN with my friends and I'm not sure what to bring.

It's tied to both your profile and the console itself. So you can download the maps onto someone elses' xbox and play them as long as you stay signed into XBL on your profile, while someone else who doesn't have the maps can use them on your xbox.

Madness

Yup. Those were my first thoughts, too.

Wouldn't be funny if they took place on Reach?

What's the similarity though? All I see is a terraformed planet in both pics. I mean I could understand if the mountain was cleaved in half, but there's nothing similar at all. Though it would be really great for 343 to have a map set on Reach.

JackHerer

Skyline is a pretty fun map but I think the spawns on it are kind of fucked up.

I was playing a game of CTF on it and the enemy team was rushing our base. I get killed and they pull our flag. Then I spawn in their base on top of their flag and auto-pick it up. Wat....

It literally spawned me on top of the enemy flag.

The spawns for FFA are also fucked on that map. It's most noticeable in Rumble Pro right now because there is no motion tracker. You can sit right outside of the base on one of the paths leading out and players will repeatedly spawn in-front of you in those rooms where the flag usually is.

Even if someone isn't camping the spawn, once you spawn you better get out quick because someone else is respawning right behind you and you are likely to get assassinated.

Ghazi

What's the similarity though? All I see is a terraformed planet in both pics. I mean I could understand if the mountain was cleaved in half, but there's nothing similar at all. Though it would be really great for 343 to have a map set on Reach.

I was about to ask how that would work when everything on Reach got blown up/glassed. Then I remembered that it's all a simulation, dat canon explanation.

Toa TAK

Banned

It's just the first thing that poppped into mind. Reach is still fresh in my mind.

Havok

No problem, thanks for sticking around. Hopefully we can pick where we left off soon. You getting Judgement?
I might, it looks neat and I do like Gears quite a bit. It depends on my financial situation when it comes out, really.

How interested would you guys be on helping me run some Forge maps for FFA tonight?

I wanna get a party going tonight, it should be fun.
I can join when you get this going, just shoot an invite to Havok CXVII.

Yep. It would be a lot better with radar, though.

No Radar is actually starting to grow on me. In FFA I don't think it matters as much since it's entirely individual skill, not multiple players coordinating. Therefore randoms don't make no-radar significantly more difficult.

Sai-kun

Banned
You are trash. I like ACIII

I second this.

ACIII was my favorite.

I don't know anyone who buys these games for and continues to play the multiplayer.

Sorry boys, ACB > AC2 > ACR > AC3 > AC1

Also, I think it says something about a game known for its singleplayer when the most fun I had with it was in the (usually an afterthought) multiplayer.

*shrug* I just didn't find the game nearly as fun as previous titles, and the time period is interesting as far as the story goes, but the setting is a terrible fit for the gameplay.

Tawpgun

Also, I think it says something about a game known for its singleplayer when the most fun I had with it was in the (usually an afterthought) multiplayer.

*shrug* I just didn't fin the game nearly as fun as previous titles, and the time period is interesting as far as the story goes, but the setting is a terrible fit for the gameplay.

I loved the wilderness, but it needed to be a lot more dense and the cities were underwhelming.

Shoulda done French Revolution imo.

*shrug* I just didn't fin the game nearly as fun as previous titles, and the time period is interesting as far as the story goes, but the setting is a terrible fit for the gameplay.

I agree on both the ordering and the points about AC3. The side missions and mechanics in AC3 just didn't mesh well with me.

Top Bottom